What do you think of English people?

124»

Replies

• uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    edited December 2015
    I coach soccer, yes that is what you English called it when you introduced it to us way back when, in the US and we have a few English guys who come here and coach as well. I thoroughly enjoy them as i tend to have the same dry wit and sense of humor. But the overall feeling that the parents have when it comes to the English coaches instructing their kids is Passive Aggressive and Condescending. I think it is because proper English is used and the accent, even though I can say the exact same thing, it is heard differently by the parents.

TL;DR: I like the English as I have similar views and sense of humor, most Americans think they're condescending and passively aggressive.
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    jen81uk wrote: »
    We're all sarcastic and not all tea drinkers, yak! There's as much a north south divide in England as with uk and us stereotypes! #proudnortherner... Ish? Lol x

#proudnortherner too :)
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    ExileFromTheNorth Posts: 3,038 Member
    jen81uk wrote: »
    We're all sarcastic and not all tea drinkers, yak! There's as much a north south divide in England as with uk and us stereotypes! #proudnortherner... Ish? Lol x

#proudnortherner too :)

Me too! There is a very strong sense of regional loyalty in England. Northerners tend to stick together, sane for South West and East, however people from the Midlands tend to be unsure and as such tend to be a tad strange! You can tell a Midlander or Lancastrian by their eyebrows being located on their cheekbones!
  • Andy79G
    Andy79G Posts: 387 Member
    I'm from the midlands! Tad harsh that mani??
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    ExileFromTheNorth Posts: 3,038 Member
    Andy79G wrote: »
    I'm from the midlands! Tad harsh that mani??

I'm only messing fella! I'm from Hull, so I'm in no position to critique!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    English people say cool things after trying Walden Farms products like "Tossed it in the bin!" and they can swear like nobodies business!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I am from America and never met anyone from England. I do enjoy Harry Potter and his cute accent- Is everyone a wizard in England? Are there religious extremists in England that "banned" the Harry Potter books, as well? Is it even slightly socially acceptable to not like Harry Potter? How do you get your broomsticks to fly? Do your vacuums do the same? Do you even call them vacuums? So many questions!! :D Don't get me started on Dr. Who...

@MsJulesRenee
    Not everyone are wizzards, most are muggles, only the special ones gets to become wizzards and to go to Hogwarts (there are other schools, but lets face it, Hogwarts is the best)

The Harry Potter books have replaced the bible for wizzards, so there is no banning, it is actively promoted, and churches are now just for muggles, the wizzards have their own temples

Broomsticks to fly? Erm magic.... geeshhhh watch the Harry Potter movies again

Vacuums are hoovers and no they do not fly, unless we cast a spell on them to chase you around the room or something

LOL, you're awesome! We have a brand called Hoover so it would be a Hoover hoover.
  • JamesMFP79
    JamesMFP79 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm English and I'm bloody great?
  • JamesMFP79
    JamesMFP79 Posts: 10 Member
    We are also sarcastic and modest...
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    I swear, every time a buddy of mine are admiring someone from a distance this happens:

Him: She's attractive.
    Me: She's from England
    Him: How can you tell?
    Me: Because I think she's gorgeous.
    Him: What does that have to do with her being English?
    Me: Just go ask her where she's from.
    Him (coming back after talking to her): You're right.. she's from (insert any English city here).
    Me: Told you.
    Him: How did you know?
    Me: Because I thought she was attractive.
    Him: What's that got to do with anything?
    Me: No idea, but it always works out that way.

Something on the order of 2 dozen times now.

*Edited to fix words... because they are hard.

I don't know if I am able to still do this because it's been years, since I'd roam malls, etc. but when it came to men, I could literally smell, their profession. Doctors smell like rubbing alcohol & lawyers smell like court rooms. The doctors were hospital surgeons, not private practice physicians, nurses or patients because they didn't come into contact with rubbing alcohol, as often; as a surgeon would. Lawyers unlike judges, court reporters, deputies, criminals, etc. move around a lot more; in a court room. So it's like they're constantly walking into the scent, of the court room.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited December 2015
    I am just loving this entire conversation!! As an American from Kansas and my goal is to go to England I watch videos and tutorials about English people and I am trying to understand Rugby. It looks like lots of fun!

Rugby is actually very easy - think continuos NFL but you can't throw forwards, and can't tackle a person who doesn't have the ball. (Before other Brits jump on my case, I'm trying to simplify it to 'others'!!!)

No - we don't all talk like Harry Potter or Bond. We have numerous accents and dialects. Someone from one side of Scotland can sound very different to another Scotsman. Some people speak Gaelic, Welsh and Cornish!)

Okay that is helpful. I will keep that in mind. I know when I communicate with people they think I have a "Southern" accent. I can say living in the most central part of the United States I have no accent what so ever. Our's is pretty flat.
    I will have to google a few video's of Rugby and watch them. Understanding the rules may take me some time, however I totally understand our Football in the states, I am still learning Soccer.

...what don't you understand about Rugby? Let's see if we 'Brits' can help.

Lol, I think I need to watch it. I am sure there are a few rules that need to be followed, right? If I make it to England (I also hope to make it to Scotland) I want to be able to watch it without bothering the person next to me to explain it. ;):) I mean nothing like ruining a game.

Ok!

I mean I am not opposed to someone explaining it to me, please do not misunderstand. I think if I watch them on You Tube and someone explain them to me while I'm watching them, that would be helpful. Sorry if that past reply came off as rude or mean. Not what I intended. :)

I know what you mean, I am a visual rather than a lecture or a book learner myself! I learn best, via demonstrations.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited December 2015
    JamesMFP79 wrote: »
    I'm English and I'm bloody great?

I am not fond of the use, of the word bloody because it just seems horrific.
  • dgoodie92
    dgoodie92 Posts: 624 Member
    Well as an Irishman in the British army. It's my opinion that the English are too withdrawn. All us Irish boys and Jocks go wild and bounce off each other for morale while the English in my platoon simply keep to the other English and tend to talk down to our antics
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Oh here it is (English thread). I'm at my neighbor's apartment watching some old comedy standup and this guy is pretty decent -- talking about how when the British get really mad, they say sh****t like, "I'm gonna write a letter!"

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    My grandma and grandpa were both from England...I kinda like English peeps
  • TxLisa251
    TxLisa251 Posts: 152 Member
    TxLisa251 wrote: »
    Loves tea, passionate about soccer, polite, laughs hysterically that Americans named the pouch with a waist belt a "fanny pack." :smiley:

Thats because fanny means something very different over here.. :D

Exactly!! LOL. Fanny has a very different meaning in the US :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I love that they say snatched instead of grabbed. I crack up laughing in my head each time I hear it. Instead of " you grabbed my pen!" They say " you snatched my pen!"
    I have no idea why I find it so humorous
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    I lived in England for two and a half years. I adored some of the people there. Others not so much. The main person I had an issue with was actually Irish. I miss the UK :-(
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    JamesMFP79 wrote: »
    I am not fond of the use, of the word bloody because it just seems horrific.

Funny that, I'm not fond of the use of the American phrase which refers to someone who has sex with a female parent.
    Growing up in the 60s and 70s in England I never heard people use the F word and they rarely used the word 'bloody'; sometimes the words 'ruddy', 'wretched' or 'blasted' were used if something really annoyed someone.
  • BenniBlanc0
    BenniBlanc0 Posts: 1,118 Member
    English people are awesome!! (I'm slightly bias because I'm English though)