Options

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    I don't take supplements I eat the actual food. Eg I chop up two cloves of garlic & drink them down with water or I drink turmeric milk (Google golden milk) I eat cinnamon on my porridge or fruit salad. So it's all safe. Or I cut out wheat so don't eat bread pasta etc

I have noticed a positive difference to be honest. I haven't needed pain relief for my arthritis lately and my medication for asthma was reduced.

My mum has really bad cancer and they said she needed chemotherapy and to remove her breast, but she refused! She changed her diet, only ate organic, cut out dairy, ate things like Spirulina etc and they operated to just remove the lump and she got better, when they had said she only had 30% survival rate.

So I strongly believe there are properties in certain foods that aid the body & fight illness, just how certain foods damage the body & cause illness. It's not false, it's like saying a kiwi doesn't have vit C and doesn't fight infection. We know fruit has vit C eg lemon & vit C fights infection. Other foods has vitamins & minerals that help the body.

Scientific studies have been done on wheat that proved it had a negative impact on mental health patients, because it causes a release of certain hormones, which activate the "addiction" type behaviour.

All foods have properties in them that help the body or destroy it. My friends grandma was badly diabetic & couldn't have tomatoes but after a few weeks of cinnamon in her herbal tea she could have tomato.

I'm not sure about pill-form supplements, I'm refering to the real food form

I dont even know where to start......

Placebo effect, maybe? Combining these "magical wonders" with better diet and exercise and seeing results from the diet/exercise? :confused:

Well I only started dieting & exercise a couple weeks ago & before eating the turmeric & cutting out wheat (because wheat causes inflammation and turmeric prevents inflammation) I could hardly exercise from the pain of arthritis and needing steroids due to bad asthma, working out was very difficult. I decided not to take the steroids and stopped pain meds, started natural remedies and after about 3-4weeks I felt better & was able to start exercise and been cutting calories for 2weeks.

I think these remedies really work.

Well I guess not many on here believe in homeopathy or naturopathy - but if anybody does have other natural remedies tried & tested by their own experience please let me know

Homeopathy is provably false - every homeopathic "supplement" is basically just pure water (or whatever diluent they are using), because homeopathy operates on the assumption that the dose/response curve is backwards, and that drugs and supplements become stronger and stronger the more dilute they are. Homeopathic "treatments" are basically so diluted that most doses won't have even a single molecule of the original "active ingredient" in them anymore.

If homeopathy were true, people wouldn't overdose on drugs, they would underdose on them, and the smaller amount of drug you consumed, the more potent it would be.

Naturopathy, on the other hand, can be real - for example, willow bark contains aspirin and that has a real and measurable effect, and most drugs are originally derived from some kind of naturally occurring biological substance, although often the original substance has unwanted properties so a synthetic substance that is similar in structure is used instead.

However, natural remedies have three key disadvantages, two inherent and one due to the way our laws are structures in the USA:
    1. Rather than one pure substance, you're ingesting thousands of different chemicals, only one or a few of which are producing the beneficial effect, which means you can have greater incidence of side effects from all the other ingredients.
    2. The naturally occurring substance isn't necessarily the best possible molecule of its class - as mentioned before, often times a synthetic molecule similar in structure is preferred because of greater potency, fewer side effects, etc.
    3. Every drug must have extensive testing before being FDA approved - no drug can be marketed until there is compelling data for its safety and efficacy; any drug that is unsafe or ineffective cannot be sold. Supplements can be sold until they are shown to be unsafe (there is no requirement at all that they be effective).
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Wheat Belly
    —An Analysis of Selected Statements
    and Basic Theses from the Book

http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2012/opendocuments/cfw-57-4-0177.pdf
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What happened to that good old saying "don't knock it til you try it??"

All of those silly people ran off a cliff when their friends did. <nods>
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Also I rebound daily on my trampette for lymph system drainage.

Say, what? :/

Rebounding .... You basically bounce on an exercise trampoline. It helps drain toxins through the lymph system. Prevents illnesses and enlarged glands and inflammation. It is amazing fun cardio too. You can find rebounding workouts on YouTube. It's the cardio I do daily, it's really fun

:indifferent:

I bet sales people just love you.

Wish they did, I might just get a discount!

My rebounder has been a delightful cardio buddy for me, it's fun and gives a giggle. Makes exercise more fun - anything else, such as lymph drainage is an added bonus :)

I am being 100% sincere in asking you this, but you are really saying jumping on a mini trampoline has caused your lymph nodes to drain? How would you even measure drainage of your lymph nodes? Did you go to the doctor for a checkup if your lymph nodes were swollen, because swollen lymph nodes can be a sign of infection or something else going on in your body.

What about the possibility that you just had a bug and as you got better the swelling in your lymph nodes went down?

If the swelling does not go down, you need to go to the doctor.

I can see how much fun it would be to jump on a mini-trampoline, especially if it's fun and makes you giggle. Feeling good and giggling is a whole natural medicine in and of itself.

As for not knocking until you try it, I am not willing to put my health on the line by trying something that could be dangerous for my body. I am, of course, not talking about the trampoline but all the natural medicines that are supposed to cure things like cancer, heart disease, etc. I, however, am willing to use natural remedies under the doctor's suggestion and care along with conventional medicine, as I am doing for a medical issue right now.

Life is too precious to diagnose ourselves (general statement, not toward you personally) and try to fix whatever is wrong through natural remedies alone.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I don't take supplements I eat the actual food. Eg I chop up two cloves of garlic & drink them down with water or I drink turmeric milk (Google golden milk) I eat cinnamon on my porridge or fruit salad. So it's all safe. Or I cut out wheat so don't eat bread pasta etc

I have noticed a positive difference to be honest. I haven't needed pain relief for my arthritis lately and my medication for asthma was reduced.

My mum has really bad cancer and they said she needed chemotherapy and to remove her breast, but she refused! She changed her diet, only ate organic, cut out dairy, ate things like Spirulina etc and they operated to just remove the lump and she got better, when they had said she only had 30% survival rate.

So I strongly believe there are properties in certain foods that aid the body & fight illness, just how certain foods damage the body & cause illness. It's not false, it's like saying a kiwi doesn't have vit C and doesn't fight infection. We know fruit has vit C eg lemon & vit C fights infection. Other foods has vitamins & minerals that help the body.

Scientific studies have been done on wheat that proved it had a negative impact on mental health patients, because it causes a release of certain hormones, which activate the "addiction" type behaviour.

All foods have properties in them that help the body or destroy it. My friends grandma was badly diabetic & couldn't have tomatoes but after a few weeks of cinnamon in her herbal tea she could have tomato.

Placebo effect, maybe? Combining these "magical wonders" with better diet and exercise and seeing results from the diet/exercise? :confused:

Well I only started dieting & exercise a couple weeks ago & before eating the turmeric & cutting out wheat (because wheat causes inflammation and turmeric prevents inflammation) I could hardly exercise from the pain of arthritis and needing steroids due to bad asthma, working out was very difficult. I decided not to take the steroids and stopped pain meds, started natural remedies and after about 3-4weeks I felt better & was able to start exercise and been cutting calories for 2weeks.

I think these remedies really work.

Well I guess not many on here believe in homeopathy or naturopathy - but if anybody does have other natural remedies tried & tested by their own experience please let me know

Wheat only causes inflammation in people who lack the enzyme that breaks down gluten, a type of protein commonly found in grains. It's like being lactose intolerant. Those people lack the ability to naturally produce an enzyme that is key to breaking down lactose, a protien found in dairy.

Just as not everyone is unable to efficiently digest lactose, not everyone is unable to digest gluten. The inflammation effect ONLY affects those with the inability.

Gluten is a protein. Lactose is a sugar, that's what the ose at the end means. People with lactose intolerance is actually a bit of an inversion of terms - the uncommon thing is lactase persistence, the evolutionary condition common in northern European descent people that causes production of the lactase enzyme in large amounts to continue in adult hood.
    Humans usually produce at least a little, but for most people, when used up the rest of lactose gets fermented by gut bacteria, causing bloating and flatulence. Celiac, on the other hand involves gluten protein causing an auto immune reaction where immune cells attack the intestines. There may be a separate, less severe gluten intolerance but it is tenuous and not a dangerous medical condition like celiac is.
  • senecarr
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Also I rebound daily on my trampette for lymph system drainage.

Say, what? :/

Rebounding .... You basically bounce on an exercise trampoline. It helps drain toxins through the lymph system. Prevents illnesses and enlarged glands and inflammation. It is amazing fun cardio too. You can find rebounding workouts on YouTube. It's the cardio I do daily, it's really fun

:indifferent:

I bet sales people just love you.

Wish they did, I might just get a discount!

My rebounder has been a delightful cardio buddy for me, it's fun and gives a giggle. Makes exercise more fun - anything else, such as lymph drainage is an added bonus :)

Did anyone advocating this rebounding have affiliation with a television program called The Man Show or otherwise requested waivers to film the treatment?
  • senecarr
    Options
    How most supplement claims work:
    clinically_studied_ingredient.png
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm all for natural remedies that are ancillary to medical intervention where needed. However, these things have their place and that is not in the forefront of any treatment plan for any medical condition, much less as a replacement for medical intervention.

You know what they call natural medicine that has been proven to be effective? MEDICINE.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

So let me get this straight. Your mom's oncologist recommended chemotherapy and a mastectomy to improve her predicted 30% survival rate, and instead she decided to ignore that advice, choosing dietary modifications, and then later only a lumpectomy was required? How long was she on her dietary restrictions? What did the doctor say when she initially refused to follow his recommendations and then later when he determined that only a lumpectomy was required. Did the tumor shrink as a result of her diet? By how much? Did she have to have radiation or any other treatment following the lumpectomy?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Wheat only causes inflammation in people who lack the enzyme that breaks down gluten, a type of protein commonly found in grains. It's like being lactose intolerant. Those people lack the ability to naturally produce an enzyme that is key to breaking down lactose, a protien found in dairy.

Just as not everyone is unable to efficiently digest lactose, not everyone is unable to digest gluten. The inflammation effect ONLY affects those with the inability.

This. So well said.

@GemFromJannah. I believe in natural remedies. For example, for me I've found ginger soothes an upset stomach, echinacea helps cold symptoms, Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL) helps with heartburn and gut issues, and the list goes on.

Here's the thing. Natural remedies are not meant to be a cure all, they are meant to be used in conjunction with traditional medicine when needed. Sure, if you've got a tummy ache and use some ginger and it takes care of it, great. But, if the tummy ache keeps coming back you have an issue that needs to be medically assessed. To do otherwise is to put a bandage on it without looking at why you keep having a tummy ache. I think it's pretty dangerous to rely on natural remedies only.

I take a probiotic, turmeric and calcium and vit D supplements. That is so far removed from what the OP is saying. Treating cancer and draining lymphs!

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well, certainly you should be careful with supplements. Some can be as powerful as drugs and should be used correctly and under some type of trained supervision. Homeopathy is just sugar pills, that's completely different from supplements and nutrition. And it's not going to cause harm, but it is a waste of money. On the other hand pharmaceuticals can cause severe harm. And people should be cautious about that. I was the picture of perfect health and happiness, professional dancer, on top of the world. Wrongly prescribed meds which injured me and they kept misdiagnosing the injury and prescribing more meds, and finally an unnecessary med that is very harmful and serves no actual medical purpose. Now I am severely injured, my life was destroyed, I have to be on a strict diet due to an immune malfunction in the nerves in my face, I have chronic nerve pain in my face. So, my Rheumatologist (the doctor I was referred to because no doctors understand this medical injury) actually told me to avoid all meds in order to regain my health from before the medical system injured me without informed consent. And I have had two other doctors since then try to prescribe me meds that actually worsen my condition. As part of my healing I take Calcium Ascorbate (vit C) and Quercetin, those are both antioxidants which act as antihistamines and are non-harmful and allow me to not need to take anthistamines daily (which cause my eyes to swell shut). The medical injury caused hypersensitivity to medications. I can't even take Tylenol or Advil (they actually increase the pain). Naicinimide has also been helping me in my personal situation. I am under the care of doctors. And just to be clear. If you have a life threatening disorder you should take the meds. But, many of the meds prescribed are not for promoting health. They are serious bandaids treating symptoms to mask the problem and lead to injury. Sometimes our bodies need to be left alone to heal. Not overtreated with meds. It's in the Hippocratic oath. To not overtreat. I have reported the med to Health Canada. I have spoken to hundreds of other people injured by it. There are some non serious medical issues that doctors don't really understand and over treat causing more harm. One of the recent doctors asked me if I am on any long term meds. I said no. And explained how I am healing through promoting health and not taking meds. She said that's the healthiest way to go. That promotes long term health. Living an unhealthy lifestyle and being on meds to compensate is not always the healthiest long term choice. This medical injury is the only reason I have wandered into online forums recently. Because I am bored, trying to heal and recover. My Rheumatologist thinks it could take a year or more. It's been 4 months. I hope I will recover.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited December 2015
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    No, and THOSE HERBAL/HOMEOPATHIC SUPPLEMENTS CAN BE DANGEROUS! They're not regulated by the FDA, which means that there's nobody overseeing to make sure there's nothing else being added or replaced within the supplements or anybody making sure that what the supplements are claiming to do actually works. The company might claim that the pill is pure cinnamon, but in reality there could be other things in it that could interact with other supplements/medications. Remember that it's difficult to find out how much of a supplement could become toxic to the body (heck, even water is toxic in very large quantities), so taking more than what is recommended by the manufacturer could be dangerous (I remember reading something over the summer about a young woman dying from a diet pill overdose).

The best thing someone can do for their body is eat a well-balanced diet (fruits, vegetables, dairy, nuts, fish, lean meats, whole grains, unsaturated oils, etc.), be physically active, and get an annual physical to identify any medical issues. If you want to start taking additional dietary or herbal supplements, it is a good idea to discuss it with your doctor first to make sure that it will not interact with other medications (or to see if you really need the supplements in the first place).

The body is an amazing system and is pretty self-efficient. There's no need to manually drain your lymph channels (lymph is like a "sewage system" for your body and is involved in our immune function and transporting fat from the digestive system to other body cells). In terms of immune function, some of the best things to prevent colds/flu is to practice good hand hygiene, covering up any open wounds (the skin is the immune system's first line of defense), and to get an annual flu shot.

I really hope that chart for DKA and organic honey is a joke. I would have died if I took organic honey instead of IV insulin, electrolytes, and water (and an all-inclusive stay in ICU) for DKA. Cinnamon also does squat for my blood sugar (I will need to inject insulin, or I will die). :tongue:

DSHEA oversees supplements. Labels are still FDA regulated. There isn't much research on supplementation but even that is growing by people who privately fund them to do the research.

People can overdo anything and die from it. This isn't limited to supplements. FDA regulated stuff as well. What do they do when anything adverse happens in a study for something FDA regulated? They 86 them out of study all together as if it never happened. I've seen it happen first hand.

BTW cinnamon doesn't lower blood sugar, you'd want to look into gymnema for that. Cinnamon only stops a outrageous sugar spike from occurring in those who blood sugar levels are within normal range.
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    No, and THOSE HERBAL/HOMEOPATHIC SUPPLEMENTS CAN BE DANGEROUS! They're not regulated by the FDA, which means that there's nobody overseeing to make sure there's nothing else being added or replaced within the supplements or anybody making sure that what the supplements are claiming to do actually works. The company might claim that the pill is pure cinnamon, but in reality there could be other things in it that could interact with other supplements/medications. Remember that it's difficult to find out how much of a supplement could become toxic to the body (heck, even water is toxic in very large quantities), so taking more than what is recommended by the manufacturer could be dangerous (I remember reading something over the summer about a young woman dying from a diet pill overdose).

The best thing someone can do for their body is eat a well-balanced diet (fruits, vegetables, dairy, nuts, fish, lean meats, whole grains, unsaturated oils, etc.), be physically active, and get an annual physical to identify any medical issues. If you want to start taking additional dietary or herbal supplements, it is a good idea to discuss it with your doctor first to make sure that it will not interact with other medications (or to see if you really need the supplements in the first place).

The body is an amazing system and is pretty self-efficient. There's no need to manually drain your lymph channels (lymph is like a "sewage system" for your body and is involved in our immune function and transporting fat from the digestive system to other body cells). In terms of immune function, some of the best things to prevent colds/flu is to practice good hand hygiene, covering up any open wounds (the skin is the immune system's first line of defense), and to get an annual flu shot.

I really hope that chart for DKA and organic honey is a joke. I would have died if I took organic honey instead of IV insulin, electrolytes, and water (and an all-inclusive stay in ICU) for DKA. Cinnamon also does squat for my blood sugar (I will need to inject insulin, or I will die). :tongue:

DSHEA oversees supplements. Labels are still FDA regulated. There isn't much research on supplementation but even that is growing by people who privately fund them to do the research.

People can overdo anything and die from it. This isn't limited to supplements. FDA regulated stuff as well. What do they do when anything adverse happens in a study for something FDA regulated? They 86 them out of study all together as if it never happened. I've seen it happen first hand.

BTW cinnamon doesn't lower blood sugar, you'd want to look into gymnema for that. Cinnamon only stops a outrageous sugar spike from occurring in those who blood sugar levels are within normal range.

Exactly! Those pharmaceutical clinical trials aren't as wonderful as people think they are. Edit: not sure why it's double quoting. Sorry about that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »

How about starting with the fact that this poster's mum had her cancer removed and she got better (that's a fair bit of medical intervention). A 30% chance is far from zero. It doesn't mean that her diet had anything to do with her recovery. Though I am glad that she is in remission.

Thank you, she's out of remission now, it never came back.

At a purely factual level, no. Not how breast cancer works, not what its remission means. Many cancers are considered cured after a certain number of years with no distant metastatic recurrence. Breast cancer is not one of those. Distant metastatic disease, which is almost always eventually fatal, can appear after - in some cases - even multiple decades of NED (no evidence of disease). The longer one goes NED, the lower the risk of such metastatic disease, but it doesn't go to zero.

I know multiple people who have died of breast cancer after many years NED, and one or two who have been able to manage multiple symptomatic metastatic recurrences and survive 10+ years after the first such recurrence, though this latter (long-term survival with metastatic breast cancer) is quite rate.

How do I know? I'm a (very science-oriented) 15-year survivor of stage III (quite advanced) breast cancer, with a large number of friends who are also survivors, since I've been active in support groups and as a trained volunteer peer support person for people in treatment.

GemFromJannah, I'm very happy that your mom continues NED, i.e., in long-term remission. I hope that will continue, forever, and healthy eating can't hurt. (Exercise seems to help; there's actually some research evidence to support that, BTW.)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Except homeopathic remedies. You can't really overdo those.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

Well, you can get drunk off some of them if you consume enough. I recall SciBabe trying out a CVS homeopathic remedy for constipation. All it ended up doing was getting her more than a little tipsy. No other effects.

It was more expensive than buying the same amount of liquor, but she did it for science, lol.

~Lyssa
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

You can't huh.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I like the movie An Honest Liar about James Randi. There is a funny part when he takes something like two days worth of homeopathic sleeping pills, and doesn't get sleepy or overdose.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This. So well said.

@GemFromJannah. I believe in natural remedies. For example, for me I've found ginger soothes an upset stomach, echinacea helps cold symptoms, Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL) helps with heartburn and gut issues, and the list goes on.

Here's the thing. Natural remedies are not meant to be a cure all, they are meant to be used in conjunction with traditional medicine when needed. Sure, if you've got a tummy ache and use some ginger and it takes care of it, great. But, if the tummy ache keeps coming back you have an issue that needs to be medically assessed. To do otherwise is to put a bandage on it without looking at why you keep having a tummy ache. I think it's pretty dangerous to rely on natural remedies only.

I take a probiotic, turmeric and calcium and vit D supplements. That is so far removed from what the OP is saying. Treating cancer and draining lymphs!
    Supplements are just fine. I take a couple of supplements because my doctor asked me to try them out. However, they are in addition to another prescribed medication that I must take. There is no substitute for conventional medicine.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    angerelle wrote: »

How about starting with the fact that this poster's mum had her cancer removed and she got better (that's a fair bit of medical intervention). A 30% chance is far from zero. It doesn't mean that her diet had anything to do with her recovery. Though I am glad that she is in remission.

Thank you, she's out of remission now, it never came back.

At a purely factual level, no. Not how breast cancer works, not what its remission means. Many cancers are considered cured after a certain number of years with no distant metastatic recurrence. Breast cancer is not one of those. Distant metastatic disease, which is almost always eventually fatal, can appear after - in some cases - even multiple decades of NED (no evidence of disease). The longer one goes NED, the lower the risk of such metastatic disease, but it doesn't go to zero.

I know multiple people who have died of breast cancer after many years NED, and one or two who have been able to manage multiple symptomatic metastatic recurrences and survive 10+ years after the first such recurrence, though this latter (long-term survival with metastatic breast cancer) is quite rate.

How do I know? I'm a (very science-oriented) 15-year survivor of stage III (quite advanced) breast cancer, with a large number of friends who are also survivors, since I've been active in support groups and as a trained volunteer peer support person for people in treatment.

GemFromJannah, I'm very happy that your mom continues NED, i.e., in long-term remission. I hope that will continue, forever, and healthy eating can't hurt. (Exercise seems to help; there's actually some research evidence to support that, BTW.)

My dear friend has been in remission from breast cancer for eight years, and my aunt has no signs of her breast cancer after two years. Both of these ladies were both already active prior to breast cancer. My friend continued her exercise even though she underwent a mastectomy (one side), breast reconstruction, and multiple RX medications, and my aunt walked the park every day she could while doing chemo and radiation. They are both naturally positive people as well, so good attitudes and staying active helped them tremendously through treatment. Attitude and activity level can play a big part in cancer recovery.

Years ago, another friend had breast cancer and refused chemotherapy or any medical treatment and tried to beat it the natural way. Her attitude was good and she was fairly active, but those two things without proper medical treatment ended in her death less than a year later.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

You can't huh.

Of course you can. :)
This discussion has been closed.