Just consider this

12346»

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    I agree - won't. Agree that it's perfectly fine too.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    cyfy88 wrote: »
    How about this ..... Instead of "pretending" these foods are poison and going to kill you ... Do your research on refined sugar. You will find that this product "IS in fact" poison and has a distinct and immediate physical and psychological impact on your body just as the refined poppy, morphine and heroin, does. Which one of us will consume heroine !!! If you are using MyFitnessPal you are probably trying to better your health so I assume you probably wouldn't take heroine.

If you took time to understand the slavery, the religions involvement, FDA's negligence, all for the love of money and taxes, let alone the ending medical results of the sugar history. Just Look at the size of society (don't leave out our kids) look at the physical condition of our society (don't leave out diabetes 2) and look at the mental health of society (don't leave out depression). These and much more are not pretend results these ARE real results of poisoning ourselves.
    We are all sick - why??? Because we live in a society that says it's ok to poison yourself with the drug of our choice. Its OK to poison yourself even just a little or in moderation because it feels good. People like us just happen to make our drug - food. People like us are addicted to the stuff and moderation is not acceptable any more than it would be for an alcoholic or druggy.

Did we get fat by eating vegetables including potatoes - no
    Did we get fat eating good grains (not the refined white ones) - no
    Did we get fat on eating meat or cheese - probably not
    Did we get fat in eating fruit - unlikely
    Even if you binge on foods like the above ... You can't do it for long because it will actually fill you up.
    We got fat on eating crap. So let's stop lying to ourselves and convincing ourselves that moderation with sugar is ok - it's not - refined sugar is more addictive than heroine - get off the stuff so you can find pleasure in your fruits which will then become sweeter to you
    Good health and weight loss will automatically follow
    No I'm not a health food nut - I do eat canned and packaged foods
    No I'm not a fit and trim person on some sort of health kick
    I just educated myself on sugar and it's BAD

Just because you say it's a fact doesn't make it so. Also, you're wrong. Not sure how to "sugar coat" that answer to make it the Disney themed support people seem to want these days without misleading you to think that spreading misinformation is okay.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2015
    Caitwn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    Does this fear approach work well with clients? Do you think it's ethical to use this approach even if it is effective (short term at best in the vast majority of cases)? Becuase a doctor telling a patient that their behaviour is going to kill them is one thing; they have the expertise, medical histories and the statistics that back that advice up. They can say it with relative certainty.
    Depends. I've had morbidly obese patients (3 whom I've actually helped reduce more than 200lbs) referred to me by a doctor letting them know that if they didn't change, they shouldn't expect a long life. I'd throw it in there here and there, but relied more on their successes (whether it be weight loss or new personal best on an exercise) because it was something more they strived for since success usually brings more effort.
    Is it wise to tell this to people that have a hard time sticking to a diet plan, nearly all of which are not in the crisis of dying if they take one more bite? Is it good to try to instill that sort of fear in a person? Is it wise to place that sort of pressure on them to the point where they fear for their lives if they fall off the wagon? Considering that the vast majority of people that lose weight will gain it back, I think that inserting a false sense of fear into that situation would be in extremely poor taste.

It is rarely the emotionally unstable that achieve healthy goals. I don't see how this approach would strengthen a person's emotional well being.
    Lol, given that people react to fear on a daily basis (look at how shootings and bombings are now causing political rhetoric amongst Americans), I think fear can be used to an extend. But again, being more optimistic than pessimistic, I'd use the fear of something to help them achieve success by means of overcoming them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    The problem with fear tactics is that for most people fear dissipates over time. For example the shootings and bombings that you used...yes for a period of time people are afraid but over time people go back to normal until something else comes along to cause fear.

Emotions for the most part are temporary always being replaced by another emotion.

We see many examples in the weight loss world...people lose weight...people feel "good"...fear or sadness comes along and for many people the cycle begins again.

Fear could be useful initially but that fear has to be replaced with another emotion to continue. Fear in most cases can not be a long time motivator. If we could guarantee quick results then fear might work but we can't and we become complacent. Plus unless danger from weight is immediate most people believe they can always "start tomorrow". Most health issues from being over weight are accumulative long range and not necessarily immediate.

Besides using "fear" on someone is really close to sounding like a threat...most people don't respond well to being threatened...at least I don't.
    I've consigned to the fact that fear of death isn't going to work for everyone. I believe where I went wrong here was that people really cared enough about life, that they'd be willing to do what they need to do to preserve it. My bad.
    It's basically now come down to the point that if someone really wants something bad enough, they WILL do what it takes to achieve it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's part of the issue with what I think you have been trying to ask/say. I won't generalize this to all people who are struggling with weight, but I can say that as a mental health professional who focuses on health psychology in high-risk populations, you have to start with helping some people get to a place where that they can care enough about life before they can even consider addressing weight loss or any other health issue.

Too many health providers or teachers or trainers or coaches seem to believe that as soon as people get good factual information about what they're doing, as well as the possible consequences, then that'll be sufficient to spark change. It's not.

Information is important, but it's almost never enough to lead to behavior change. That's some of the problem with the 'scare tactics' strategy. When you apply the 'scary information' strategy to someone who's got no real physical or psychological resilience, and whose life is pretty dark or painful, that scary information doesn't mean much of anything given the context of their day-to-day existence.

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789

...also wanted to add to the above is that the scare tactics may either not mean anything due to the person's circumstances or frame of mind... or it could even trigger a more negative response.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    How about this ..... Instead of "pretending" these foods are poison and going to kill you ... Do your research on refined sugar. You will find that this product "IS in fact" poison and has a distinct and immediate physical and psychological impact on your body just as the refined poppy, morphine and heroin, does. Which one of us will consume heroine !!! If you are using MyFitnessPal you are probably trying to better your health so I assume you probably wouldn't take heroine.

If you took time to understand the slavery, the religions involvement, FDA's negligence, all for the love of money and taxes, let alone the ending medical results of the sugar history. Just Look at the size of society (don't leave out our kids) look at the physical condition of our society (don't leave out diabetes 2) and look at the mental health of society (don't leave out depression). These and much more are not pretend results these ARE real results of poisoning ourselves.
    We are all sick - why??? Because we live in a society that says it's ok to poison yourself with the drug of our choice. Its OK to poison yourself even just a little or in moderation because it feels good. People like us just happen to make our drug - food. People like us are addicted to the stuff and moderation is not acceptable any more than it would be for an alcoholic or druggy.

Even if you binge on foods like the above ... You can't do it for long because it will actually fill you up.
    We got fat on eating crap. So let's stop lying to ourselves and convincing ourselves that moderation with sugar is ok - it's not - refined sugar is more addictive than heroine - get off the stuff so you can find pleasure in your fruits which will then become sweeter to you

Whoa! This is a jumble of misinformation and fear mongering, and speaking for people who do not need you to do so.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    If a doctor told you that next time you ate your favorite "downfall" food (binge, "can't" moderate), smoked your next cigarette, drank your next latte, you would DEFINITELY get terminal cancer, would you eat/drink it?
    I doubt it.

I don't doubt it. My grandfather died in a hospital bed minutes after having fluid pumped from his lungs for the third time. He was smoking at the time of death.

Addiction, even psychological or perceived addiction*, is a very powerful thing.

* compulsion, obsession, dependence, whatever - terminology is not my point
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited December 2015

It's not poison.

People get fat from eating too much of any of those foods. Go over in calories, gain weight.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2015
    If a doctor told you that next time you ate your favorite "downfall" food (binge, "can't" moderate), smoked your next cigarette, drank your next latte, you would DEFINITELY get terminal cancer, would you eat/drink it?
    I doubt it.

I don't doubt it. My grandfather died in a hospital bed minutes after having fluid pumped from his lungs for the third time. He was smoking at the time of death.

Addiction, even psychological or perceived addiction*, is a very powerful thing.

Sorry for your Grandfather's passing but at that point (fluid pumped from his lungs for the 3rd time) he was essentially a dead man and passing on a couple cigarettes was not going to save him.

That is not the situation described by the OP.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

It's not poison.

People get fat from eating too much of any of those foods. Go over in calories, gain weight.

...gain weight, get overweight. Gain more weight, get obese. Get obese, get a whole host of medical issues far beyond any you would get from consuming a lot of sugar while at a healthy weight in a caloric neutral diet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Sorry for your Grandfather's passing but at that point (fluid pumped from his lungs for the 3rd time) he was essentially a dead man and passing on a couple cigarettes was not going to save him.

That is not the situation described by the OP.

He died of emphysema. He was told multiple times that if he didn't quit smoking it would kill him. He didn't and it did.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Does this fear approach work well with clients? Do you think it's ethical to use this approach even if it is effective (short term at best in the vast majority of cases)? Becuase a doctor telling a patient that their behaviour is going to kill them is one thing; they have the expertise, medical histories and the statistics that back that advice up. They can say it with relative certainty.
    Depends. I've had morbidly obese patients (3 whom I've actually helped reduce more than 200lbs) referred to me by a doctor letting them know that if they didn't change, they shouldn't expect a long life. I'd throw it in there here and there, but relied more on their successes (whether it be weight loss or new personal best on an exercise) because it was something more they strived for since success usually brings more effort.
    Is it wise to tell this to people that have a hard time sticking to a diet plan, nearly all of which are not in the crisis of dying if they take one more bite? Is it good to try to instill that sort of fear in a person? Is it wise to place that sort of pressure on them to the point where they fear for their lives if they fall off the wagon? Considering that the vast majority of people that lose weight will gain it back, I think that inserting a false sense of fear into that situation would be in extremely poor taste.

It is rarely the emotionally unstable that achieve healthy goals. I don't see how this approach would strengthen a person's emotional well being.
    Lol, given that people react to fear on a daily basis (look at how shootings and bombings are now causing political rhetoric amongst Americans), I think fear can be used to an extend. But again, being more optimistic than pessimistic, I'd use the fear of something to help them achieve success by means of overcoming them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    The problem with fear tactics is that for most people fear dissipates over time. For example the shootings and bombings that you used...yes for a period of time people are afraid but over time people go back to normal until something else comes along to cause fear.

Emotions for the most part are temporary always being replaced by another emotion.

We see many examples in the weight loss world...people lose weight...people feel "good"...fear or sadness comes along and for many people the cycle begins again.

Fear could be useful initially but that fear has to be replaced with another emotion to continue. Fear in most cases can not be a long time motivator. If we could guarantee quick results then fear might work but we can't and we become complacent. Plus unless danger from weight is immediate most people believe they can always "start tomorrow". Most health issues from being over weight are accumulative long range and not necessarily immediate.

Besides using "fear" on someone is really close to sounding like a threat...most people don't respond well to being threatened...at least I don't.
    I've consigned to the fact that fear of death isn't going to work for everyone. I believe where I went wrong here was that people really cared enough about life, that they'd be willing to do what they need to do to preserve it. My bad.
    It's basically now come down to the point that if someone really wants something bad enough, they WILL do what it takes to achieve it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sure. And all I'm saying is: there may be more than one way to go about things, for some "moderation" (whatever that means today) is easier. For some elimination is easier. For some "eating whatever" is easier. For some being told what to eat is easier. And, of course, these things are fluid, and may change for the individual over time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member

Sorry, but I don't believe that and would never teach that to a client.
    I've eaten "crap" my whole life in moderation. Many Olympic and Pro athletes do too. We just learned how much to eat and how to burn it off.
    People get fat for 1 reason: overconsumption. Doesn't really matter that much about the macro. Over consume the calories you need and you'll gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Caitwn wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's part of the issue with what I think you have been trying to ask/say. I won't generalize this to all people who are struggling with weight, but I can say that as a mental health professional who focuses on health psychology in high-risk populations, you have to start with helping some people get to a place where that they can care enough about life before they can even consider addressing weight loss or any other health issue.

Too many health providers or teachers or trainers or coaches seem to believe that as soon as people get good factual information about what they're doing, as well as the possible consequences, then that'll be sufficient to spark change. It's not.

Information is important, but it's almost never enough to lead to behavior change. That's some of the problem with the 'scare tactics' strategy. When you apply the 'scary information' strategy to someone who's got no real physical or psychological resilience, and whose life is pretty dark or painful, that scary information doesn't mean much of anything given the context of their day-to-day existence.
    Noted. And thanks.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited January 2016
    99Joe wrote: »
    I believe the initial comments were poorly written. Just like a people have problems with food intake, other's problems are finding ways to express themselves clearly, as in your case. If I try to put your words together. to make sense of it all, you don't seem to be able to understand why there are people in this world who over eat knowing that the outcomes are negative? Obviously you have either never had an eating issue or you have overcome one. In either case, good on you. People overeat for many reasons. Perhaps you'd have a different outlook on this issue if you researched your query. You would then understand why so many people are having a hard time with food. If you are a personal trainer I think it would be an asset for you to do this research and help your cliental in their quest for health. Over coming an eating disorder isn't as easy as choosing which color shirt you are going to wear for that day. I'm fifty-three years old and am still trying to find my self in a weight loss journey. Easy does it and one day at a time.
    I'm pretty aware on why many people have a tendency to over eat and not control their calories. Several factors would be availability, easiness to obtain, time restriction, hyperpalability to certain tastes and textures, habitual behavior, emotional issues, and cultural surroundings.
    The intent was to get some who felt that "couldn't" control eating, to look at it from the perspective that it could be controlled if life was immediately at stake. And that didn't go.
    It is something more that I now would like to do more research about so psychology might be one of the next classes I'll take when I have time available to do so.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png