Becoming Lean and Losing Muscle Mass (It is possible?)

Options
Ok, I understand this may be completely impossible but I thought I'd give it to the forum for some advice/discussion.
Background:
I used to be a competitive swimmer, 2-3hr sets, 6-8 times a week and competitions every weekend. I have the natural/genetic tendency to develop muscle easily and from these years of training, I have relatively strong arms, strong abs and very strong legs (both thigh and calf). I stopped competing a few years ago due to university commitments, so have dropped my fitness significantly and gained a not-so-ideal layer of fat.
So here's my situation. I need to get fit to develop a better lifestyle for myself, take off the fat layer I've developed, but I DO NOT WANT MUSCLE. In fact, I'd really like to reduce all my muscle mass. It's not the look I want anymore and I have no use for it all.
What is my best option for getting fit which will not increase my muscle mass? At the moment, I have been advised running or swimming at medium intensity with a calorie deficit diet.
What are your thoughts on this? (You're welcome to tell me it's impossible, or recommend me something completely different. I'm open to every idea here!)

Thank you,
Renee

Replies

• Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a caloric deficit without any strength training, you will more than likely lose LBM. It is inevitable. I would say doing light cardio and reducing calories should work. My question is WHY you would want to lose LBM? But it should be fairly simple with reducing anything that helps maintain the LBM while cutting calories.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Eh.... if you just lose muscle, then a higher percentage of your body will be fat, which is what you are trying to eliminate....

Anyways, the optimal way to lose muscle is to not use them. Do not exercise. Eat at a deficit, keep protein low (0.36g/lb). You'll get what you are asking for, but I'm not sure if it is actually what you want.
  • bologna111
    bologna111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A lot of cardio on a deficit should do it. I wish I could take some of your muscle you don't want.
  • ReneevdH
    ReneevdH Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit diet will help me lose weight, but will it help me get lean? Should I be aiming to combine this with a zero-resistance training plan (such as floor work/running), will this help prevent gaining muscle in the process?
  • ReneevdH
    ReneevdH Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to lose muscle because;
    a) I don't need it. I have no desire to be as strong as I am, and it's only weighing me down now
    b) I wish to look smaller as I am very short and it isn't a great look to have so much muscle.

Yes, I wish I could just give it all to you..
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    ReneevdH wrote: »
    Eating a calorie deficit diet will help me lose weight, but will it help me get lean? Should I be aiming to combine this with a zero-resistance training plan (such as floor work/running), will this help prevent gaining muscle in the process?

Should work.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You don't build muscle in a deficit without trying to do so. There are no accidental bodybuilders, just as there are no accidental concert pianists or accidental master plumbers. Eat in a deficit to lose weight. Refrain from resistance training to lose muscle. You'll have less fat and muscle in the end and look softer and skinnier than you do now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    a) I don't need it. I have no desire to be as strong as I am, and it's only weighing me down now
    b) I wish to look smaller as I am very short and it isn't a great look to have so much muscle.

I wonder if you are being too hard on your natural body type. Do you have any pictures from when you were a competitive swimmer?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wonder if you are being too hard on your natural body type. Do you have any pictures from when you were a competitive swimmer?

I also wonder if you are overestimating how strong you are and how much muscle you have. If you haven't competed or seriously exercised in years, then the muscle probably already disappeared.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi Renee,

I'm glad your getting some supportive answers in here. Often if anyone, no let me correct that, if a WOMAN says she wants less muscle/to look less muscled/desires a slender svelte look, she is attacked in forums. Recently it seems like that attitude is changing.

Two places to get an expert opinion on this topic would be Rusty Moores website "Fitness Blackbook" (which is no longer updated but the site and all the articles are there) and Leigh Peele at leighpeele.com

Rusty was a bodybuilder for years and eventually got fed up with not being able to find pants that fit his overly muscular legs or shirts for giant biceps. He worked at a men's tuxedo shop and couldn't wear anything there. He decided he wanted a more "Hollywood" look and accomplished it. His whole site is dedicated to how to achieve that look through strength training (or in some cases NOT strength training), cardio, feeding, ect. Good good stuff on there.

Leigh wrote "More bulky truth", a blog post that went viral. She is a fat loss and performance expert to celebrities and housewives alike. She doesn't judge what you desire to do with your body, just tells you the truth about how to accomplish it. Even though she works with bodybuilders as well, she will be the first to say that there is nothing wrong with that look - that there is nothing wrong with ANY look that people desire for themselves - but she personally chooses a more dense muscular frame because she dances. Please check her out, she's amazing.

I am in the same boat as you. I was very active in my 20's and followed all the advice in Muscle and Fitness Hers for years trying to slim down and ended up developing a body that wasn't what I was after. I am also petite, 5'0ft. After I became a dancer and instructor, it was clear that large quads and biceps were not only not needed for my job, they got in the way. It takes more then just not using a muscle to let it atrophy, though that is a part of it. It's possible to change your composition, it just isn't a very fast process. More then just a deficit you need to ensure that the ingredients for muscle building are not available.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand what "getting lean" means to you--my impression is that most people mean decreasing BF% when they say "getting lean," but you say actually want to lose muscle. Are your goals to lose weight, with as much of that weight being muscle as possible? If you're just saying you want to lose the recently acquired fat plus as much muscle as possible, no special exercise is required. Just eat at a deficit, and don't do any strength/resistance training, and it might be best to avoid high levels of cardio (you wouldn't want to hold on to any leg muscles that you have, would you?).
  • RobotPhysique
    RobotPhysique Posts: 25 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'd really like to reduce all my muscle mass
    Sorry, have to.
    6dbe2fc4787a0b72970c285bdfe62f5f.jpg
    I have been advised running or swimming at medium intensity with a calorie deficit diet.
    Yep. According to Eric Helms, leg-centric MISS cardio in addition to your deficit would be ideal, as that's what he recommends avoiding for muscle retention during cuts, due to the muscular adaptations or 'interruptions'. For example, marathon runner legs vs. sprinter legs.
    bologna111 wrote: »
    I wish I could take some of your muscle you don't want.
    And this ^
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Some of this you can't really change though. I have really muscular calves. Is it exacerbated by running? Possibly. I would literally have to not use my legs to make them smaller than a certain point, meaning sitting around and moving them as little as possible. I know this because I spent six months in a cast. My right calf was several inches smaller than my left due to complete inactivity. I could also barely walk, because the muscles didn't function properly. The point I am trying to make is understand if what you are trying to accomplish is realistic according to how your body is constructed.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Guaranteed you'll lose muscle unless you're actively trying to maintain it, which I'm assuming you aren't, so you shouldn't have any worries about gaining (which is extremely difficult to do in a deficit, even when you do want to!)
  • RobotPhysique
    Options
    @ReneevdH I'm sorry for derailing your thread, but will someone please explain to me under what circumstances your body is going to prioritizing muscle building over any other function in a caloric deficit. Maybe your brain will take a break to beef up your biceps?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a body aesthetic we admire

If you wish to lose weight eat at a calorie defecit

If you don't wish to preserve as much LBM as possible as you lose weight then do not follow any progressive resistance programme

How much muscle you will lose is indeterminate

But if you don't use it you will lose it
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit you will lose both fat and muscle, that is just how it works. Most people want to maintain LBM because of how it helps in various aspect of life, but since you don't, just eat at a deficit and you will not only lose fat you will lose some muscle. I am not sure what sort of body you are looking for, but this will do what you stated you wanted, losing fat and muscle.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @ReneevdH I'm sorry for derailing your thread, but will someone please explain to me under what circumstances your body is going to prioritizing muscle building over any other function in a caloric deficit. Maybe your brain will take a break to beef up your biceps?

I don't think there is one. Except maybe newbie gains and I think it would have to be a small deficit for that.

Most people want to hold on to as much existing LBM while losing. @ReneevdH does not. Cardio with little strength training would work for her.

Cheers, h.
  • RobotPhysique
    Options
    @middlehaitch I was being facetious--If OP was a competitive swimmer, there are no noob gains to be made, and thus no reason for her to worry about adding muscle in a deficit. It's not "difficult"; it's not going to happen.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand why people get crucified if they say they want to lose muscle. Not everyone likes how muscle looks on them. How they want their body to look doesn't affect anyone but them.