Becoming Lean and Losing Muscle Mass (It is possible?)

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    DJ7203 wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people get crucified if they say they want to lose muscle. Not everyone likes how muscle looks on them. How they want their body to look doesn't affect anyone but them.

Point out the crucifiction please
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand why people get crucified if they say they want to lose muscle. Not everyone likes how muscle looks on them. How they want their body to look doesn't affect anyone but them.

Nobody is "crucifying" anyone. Yes, it is bewildering when people want to lose muscle mass because preserving it while losing weight has a number of aesthetic benefits, such as decreasing the likelihood of excessive loose skin and preventing the "skinny fat" look.
  • ReneevdH
    ReneevdH Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone, this has been super helpful, and thanks for the links some people have directed me to as well. I understand that what I'm trying to do isn't what a bodybuilder wants, and your comments have helped direct me to where I need to go from here.
    At 5'3 with a size 6 waist and size 12 thighs, I look forward to this challenge and getting back to a physique that suits me in a post-competitive athlete life. Thank you.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    ReneevdH wrote: »
    Thanks Everyone, this has been super helpful, and thanks for the links some people have directed me to as well. I understand that what I'm trying to do isn't what a bodybuilder wants, and your comments have helped direct me to where I need to go from here.
    At 5'3 with a size 6 waist and size 12 thighs, I look forward to this challenge and getting back to a physique that suits me in a post-competitive athlete life. Thank you.

Renee - it is absolutely possible. It's a technique that competitive cyclists, runners, ballerinas, etc... who use it all the time to get in their best "ideal" fighting weight/body composition. All the extra muscle bulk on the upper half of the body serves little purpose on the bike, or running, triathletes, or dancing for ballerinas - especially when going up hills and when the ballerinas are jumping and being lifted into the air by their male dancer colleagues - so using cardio workouts with a deficit in the CICO equation will have your body fueling itself on both fat and muscle in the upper body to get "lean and mean".

Triathletes do it...

15353466794_60783b178d_b.jpg

15353390684_492a51e9aa_z.jpg

Professional dancers do it...

12376139013_b9fc03b168_o.jpg

Professional marathon runners do it...

12369980034_975a68ee49_c.jpg

12392407463_187e168b35_c.jpg

Those who want to wear the yellow jersey in the Tour de France do it...

12369682985_0ca9405900_o.jpgA

No matter what we may or may not think of Lance Armstrong, after his first "retirement" from the sport, he bulked up with a lot of weight lifting. So much so that he weighed too much to hang with the rest of the doped crowd going up the hills in the mountains. When he decided to come out of "retirement" and do the Tour de France again, his trainers had to devise a 6-8 month program to take him from this overly muscled frame for cycling...

12375115634_9656046a0f_o.jpg

...to this lean and mean climbing machine...

12375115284_ea71a0e6a9_z.jpg

You will want to keep your muscle tone, just not the muscle bulk. So a combination of running a deficit in the CICO equation, using cardio (power walks, running, cycling, endurance swimming) and lifting of lighter weights with high reps will transform you into a much more lean and mean machine.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ReneevdH wrote: »

It has nothing to do with what "bodybuilders" want, many individuals 18-80 any various points of weight loss want to maintain as much LBM as possible because it's so important, especially as we get older.

If you want to lose some mucscle, that's fine, that's up to you. Eat at the largest deficit you can handle and don't use your muscles.

I just wanted to make the point that it isn't just "bodybuilders" who are concerned about LBM. That's a misconception.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Other posters using WTF memes to belittle a personal choice on how they want their own body to look and are seeking advice from some people that may feel the same or are going through the same journey
    ?

• RobotPhysique
    RobotPhysique Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    "elsinora wrote: »
    Other posters using WTF memes to belittle a personal choice
    Here's another one just for you.
    miss-the-point.png
    1. It was simply a lighthearted joke that prefaced the sound and supported advice I provided OP to reach her goal.
    2. If that's crucifixion, I feel bad for you when you actually wake up to reality.

Cheers.
  • elsinora
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "elsinora wrote: »
    Other posters using WTF memes to belittle a personal choice
    Here's another one just for you.
    miss-the-point.png
    1. It was simply a lighthearted joke that prefaced the sound and supported advice I provided OP to reach her goal.
    2. If that's crucifixion, I feel bad for you when you actually wake up to reality.

Cheers.

I don't see how being facetious is helping make a point. And also, if you are being lighthearted and not defensive, you'll see that I wasn't the original poster for saying "being crucified" nor did I say that I agreed it was crucifixion. I answered a question in a way that some people may not see.

Everyone comes from all walks of life on here and some people find it difficult to ask for help, which is what the point of the forum is for.

Immediately trying to then attack anyone that even remotely responds to a thread or in a way you don't agree with patronising statements like "I feel sorry for you when you actually wake up to reality" only reflects on what weird short fuse you have or how intolerant you are to any statement that you disagree with.

Also I have no idea what that means in this context as you have no idea about my personal or professional life nor do I have of yours.

• RobotPhysique
    RobotPhysique Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    elsinora wrote: »
    nor did I say that I agreed it was crucifixion.
    "rabbitjb wrote: »

Other posters using WTF memes
    Incongruous.
    which is what the point of the forum is for
    Yet, I'm the bad buy for being perplexed by OP's unorthodox objective?

Don't think we'll be seeing eye to eye on this one. Let's chalk it up as a loss and save each other some time. Have a nice day.
  • elsinora
    Options
    nor did I say that I agreed it was crucifixion.
    "rabbitjb wrote: »

Other posters using WTF memes
    Incongruous.
    which is what the point of the forum is for
    Yet, I'm the bad buy for being perplexed by OP's unorthodox objective?

Don't think we'll be seeing eye to eye on this one. Let's chalk it up as a loss and save each other some time. Have a nice day.

Sure, I didn't say you were a bad guy, only your response to my answer on someone's thread was a bit much.

Anyhoos, it's NBD in the grand scheme of things! :) have a good day and hope you have a good 2016
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch I was being facetious--If OP was a competitive swimmer, there are no noob gains to be made, and thus no reason for her to worry about adding muscle in a deficit. It's not "difficult"; it's not going to happen.

I had the sneaking suspicion you might have been, but one never knows , so I erred on the side of caution.
    There are always lurkers to the threads- and at this time of year a lot of newbies, so clarity or a happy face are sometimes needed

Welcome to MFP and happy new year.