Keto

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    N200lz wrote: »
    Exercise is what will help your cholesterol. Point blank.
    Cholesterol is not the problem, period. Triglycerides are a better indicator.
    The entire Cholesterol Theory was based off of bad science and they keep moving the goal posts to justify putting you on a statin drug.
    So getting back to the original question .....
    Can I do Keto even though I have high cholesterol?
    Yes, you can do a Keto/Low Carb diet no matter what your cholesterol numbers are.
    And for some light reading I would suggest:
    • The Great Cholesterol Myth
    • Lipitor Thief of Memory

....oh, and as a side note, I've been doing Keto/Low Carb for close to four years now. My Triglycerides have dropped. My doctor nagged me into a statin but I quit taking them after 3 months later after becoming better educated. This was after what had been acceptable levels for years, were suddenly deemed as too high (presumably based on research done by the marketing/sales division.)

Do you know what the original low end of the 'bad science' for a cholesterol reading was?

OP at age 22 what was your overall cholesterol number?

As a reference, The Great Cholesterol Myth, is an interesting read. From p.184, 'the higher the average daily consumption of vegetables and fruits, the lower the chances of developing cardiovascular disease. Compared with those in the lowest category of fruit and vegetable intake(fewer than one and half servings daily). those averaging eight or more servings per day were a whopping 30 percent less likely to have had a heart attack or stroke."

Wait? Don't people limit fruits and veg on keto?

So what you're saying is that the OPs doctor was right to advise her against keto ?

OP I'm throwing my hat in the ring of calorie counting...and whilst my carbs did reduce I still ate 2-300g carbs a day, didn't give up toast, cookies, chips or rice and have a balanced nutritionally sound diet that has helped me stick to maintaining my 55lb weight loss for the majority of 2015
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    The entire Cholesterol Theory was based off of bad science and they keep moving the goal posts to justify putting you on a statin drug.
    Yes, you can do a Keto/Low Carb diet no matter what your cholesterol numbers are.

....oh, and as a side note, I've been doing Keto/Low Carb for close to four years now. My Triglycerides have dropped. My doctor nagged me into a statin but I quit taking them after 3 months later after becoming better educated. This was after what had been acceptable levels for years, were suddenly deemed as too high (presumably based on research done by the marketing/sales division.)

Do you know what the original low end of the 'bad science' for a cholesterol reading was?

OP at age 22 what was your overall cholesterol number?

As a reference, The Great Cholesterol Myth, is an interesting read. From p.184, 'the higher the average daily consumption of vegetables and fruits, the lower the chances of developing cardiovascular disease. Compared with those in the lowest category of fruit and vegetable intake(fewer than one and half servings daily). those averaging eight or more servings per day were a whopping 30 percent less likely to have had a heart attack or stroke."

So what you're saying is that the OPs doctor was right to advise her against keto ?

OP I'm throwing my hat in the ring of calorie counting...and whilst my carbs did reduce I still ate 2-300g carbs a day, didn't give up toast, cookies, chips or rice and have a balanced nutritionally sound diet that has helped me stick to maintaining my 55lb weight loss for the majority of 2015

My guess is that this is compared to SAD which is not often high in fruit and veggies. Keto does not need to be low in plant foods, there are plant based ketogenic diets out there. Keto'ers limit carbs, but most of our carbs come from veggies and a bit of fruit so veggie intake does not need to be low.

Amount of veggies eaten would depend in the individual preferences. It is true of those who eat in moderation too.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    [

yes, and still eat twice as much as the average Brit.
  • Sued0nim
    yarwell wrote: »
    [

yes, and still eat twice as much as the average Brit.

Really? That surprises from what I've seen people post about eating whilst following keto

So if the average Brit eats over 4 servings of veg a day (and yet over 7 is promoted) you say those following keto eat 8? So 600g vegetables minimum

Now that would be good wouldn't it

Food Statistics Pocketbook 2013, DEFRA
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    gotta love internet experts giving actual medical advice....

from everything i've researched and looked at, pretty much nobody knows or can prove anything either way where cholesterol is concerned and you can find pretty much anything slanted anyway you choose...giving medical advice to users based on your beliefs and bias is pretty reckless.
  • yarwell
    Atkins Phase 1 requires 12-15g of carbs from what they call foundation vegetables, most people aim for a few hundred grams of the lower carb ones.

The average (mean ?) purchase of 4.0 serving of 5-a-day fruit/fruit juice/veg is 320 grams, veg is but a part of that. When I looked a while back I remember being way over the median.
  • Sued0nim
    Oh gosh I don't follow keto and I eat on average a kilo of veg and fruit a day .

Generally hit over 100g protein and around 300g carbs
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited December 2015
    Doctors vary in how well they keep up with research. You could get a second opinion.

My opinion: my doctor told me to cut sugar and carbs for my high cholesterol. Keto helps a lot of people, but not all people, with their cholesterol. You would be well served by trying any dietary changes for about 4 months at a time, then getting your cholesterol tested to see if there has been an effect. Clearly, to do this, you should be talking to a doctor about the tests.
  • yarwell
    Oh gosh I don't follow keto and I eat on average a kilo of veg and fruit a day .

that probably makes you an outlier, as the average purchase of fruit and veg excluding potato is 2.1 kg per week. Average vegetable (exc potato) is a sniff over 1kg, of which 20% is estimated to be wasted, leaving an average consumption under 120 grams per day.

Keto doesn't prevent one having 5 a day, but only 30% of Brits achieve that anyway so it isn't a specifically keto problem.
  • Sued0nim
    Of course I'm an outlier ..a higher proportion of those of us who post on MFP are by dint of our interest in health and fitness and the fact so many have successfully lost or losing weight and maintaining that loss

Remember supposedly only 5% dieters have long term success

Continued focus and endless discussions are a tool ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2015
    First, lets put cholesterol in perspective.
    I would suggest the following two videos available on youtube:
    I think this should be mandatory viewing for anyone considering statin drug therapy.

For those who are constantly discrediting the author for having hidden interest and bias. This documentary was produced by an Australian program (Catalyst.) You won't find it broadcast in the US seeing as big-pharma has such a stranglehold on information.

I finally had a chance to watch these. They are very well done and should make people think if they watch them.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Just for clarity's sake, do you know what triglycerides are, like chemically, not just as a health marker? If you do, it becomes obvious that any weight loss almost demands improved triglyceride levels.

OP
    Weight loss will tend to trump other considerations at improving a cholesterol profile. Minorly, HDL may get worse if following a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD 800 calories or less a day), but VLCD's have large issues beyond HDL.
    Next up exercise improved cholesterol. I believe aerobic has more research for this than resistance training. Either beats couch sit downs.
    After that, replacing saturated fats and refined carbohydrates with poly unsaturated fatty, mono unsaturated fat, and certain high fiber carbohydrates (oatmeal tending to be one) will improve cholesterol.
    Low HDL might improve with large amounts of niacin, levels only a doctor should prescribe.

If low carb diets can have you do that sustainably, you'll improve cholesterol.
    If weight watchers can have you sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
    If counting calories with MFP can sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
    If calling your mom everyday to tell her you love her can have you sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
    If standing on your head several times a day can have you sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
    If watching contrarian crackpots on YouTube can have you sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
  • yarwell
    Triglycerides are an ester of three fatty acids on a glycerol backbone, the usual form of animal / human / vegetable fats. Their concentration in the bloodstream will reflect a number of factors and typically they reduce on low carbohydrate diets significantly more than on high carbohydrate diets.

Fat goes into storage as triglycerides and comes out as free fatty acids - is that correct ? Triglycerides can be made by re-esterification of free fatty acids or by de-novo lipogenesis in the liver from excess carbohydrate.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Triglycerides are an ester of three fatty acids on a glycerol backbone, the usual form of animal / human / vegetable fats. Their concentration in the bloodstream will reflect a number of factors and typically they reduce on low carbohydrate diets significantly more than on high carbohydrate diets.

Fat goes into storage as triglycerides and comes out as free fatty acids - is that correct ? Triglycerides can be made by re-esterification of free fatty acids or by de-novo lipogenesis in the liver from excess carbohydrate.

Yes, as triglycerides represent long term fat storage, losing weight, at least losing fat, tends to require turning available triglycerides into energy. It is certainly possible (though rare) for someone to be in sustained calorie deficit and have their triglycerides go up, but it would tend to indicate some kind of other health issue that needs addressing.
  • madmo55y
    madmo55y Posts: 1 Member
    As someone who struggled with weight loss for many years, trying all sorts of diets, counting calories etc you name it. It was when I discovered the ketogenic diet a year ago that made the difference.

I continued to count calories but reduced my carb intake to below 30g a day. Well a year later and 31kg down I have no intention of changing my diet now. As for my blood work. My GP was gob smacked at how much better it has become, even quizzed me on how I did it as it's clearly working wonders.

The amount of disinformation out there about diet is mind blowing, even the so called experts are clueless, in fact they got us in this mess to start with.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Can I do Keto even though I have high cholesterol? I did ask doctor about it she just say oh don't do it it's not sustainable most people will regain their weight . She suggest me to do weightwatchers. But I don't want to do weightwatchers since its doesn't teach anything , just count foods on point system.

Slightly high? or extremely?

Weight loss generally helps lower cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol has limited effect on cholesterol levels and there is serious debate about how much cholesterol levels really matter.

If you have a hunch that carb intake leaves you feeling worse, you may find keto to suit you and help boost weight loss.

A trial of 30 days will probably provide you with some answers.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

Just for clarity's sake, do you know what triglycerides are, like chemically, not just as a health marker? If you do, it becomes obvious that any weight loss almost demands improved triglyceride levels.

OP
    Weight loss will tend to trump other considerations at improving a cholesterol profile. Minorly, HDL may get worse if following a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD 800 calories or less a day), but VLCD's have large issues beyond HDL.
    Next up exercise improved cholesterol. I believe aerobic has more research for this than resistance training. Either beats couch sit downs.
    After that, replacing saturated fats and refined carbohydrates with poly unsaturated fatty, mono unsaturated fat, and certain high fiber carbohydrates (oatmeal tending to be one) will improve cholesterol.
    Low HDL might improve with large amounts of niacin, levels only a doctor should prescribe.

If low carb diets can have you do that sustainably, you'll improve cholesterol.
    If weight watchers can have you sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
    If counting calories with MFP can sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
    If calling your mom everyday to tell her you love her can have you sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
    If standing on your head several times a day can have you sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.
    If watching contrarian crackpots on YouTube can have you sustainably do that, you'll improve your cholesterol.

Skinny person with high triglycerides here. I suppose that if I gained weight, they might get worse, but I can't diet and exercise my way to lower blood lipids. At least I have high HDL.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    gotta love internet experts giving actual medical advice....

from everything i've researched and looked at, pretty much nobody knows or can prove anything either way where cholesterol is concerned and you can find pretty much anything slanted anyway you choose...giving medical advice to users based on your beliefs and bias is pretty reckless.

Ditto.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I love all the Keto fans telling the OP to ignore individually tailored medical advice.
  • Sued0nim
    Orphia wrote: »
    I love all the Keto fans telling the OP to ignore individually tailored medical advice.

Please tell me this hasn't happened