The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Lots of posts here already - nice to see so many familiar names, and welcome to the new people! :-)

@Stoshew71 thanks for setting up the challenge again!

@runner_girl83 I still haven't managed to buy any "proper running nutrition". For runs longer than 90 minutes, I try to remember to take little packages of wine gums with me. Every now and then I think I should look into gels or the like, but haven't really gotten around to that yet (somehow "gel" doesn't sound very appealing)...
    Sometimes I just eat a bit of chocolate before heading out to run, which always feels a little unprofessional to me, but on the other hand, it seems to work well enough and gives me an excuse to eat chocolate ;-)
    For water, I have a belt where a larger water bottle sits on my back (that one) - it's large anough to hold enough water unless the weather is really hot, and carrying a bottle of the same size in my hands would start annoying me really quick.
    On short runs I carry my phone in my hands, on long runs I take the water belt and stuff the phone in the front pocket.
    :lol: Got it! I'll try having some carbs 1 hr before my run instead of taking anything with me.. See how I go with that instead. I will try and get a little water bottle still as it's so hot over here and bit worried about dehydration. I read the other day that if I mix a tiny bit of salt in my water (I think that's the mixture?) and take small sips on my run it helps in much the same way as Gatorade? Can't find where I read it now though.
    There are some recipies for mixing your own sports drinks here: http://blog.walkjogrun.net/2012/06/28/how-to-make-your-own-energy-drinks/ - maybe you'll find a recipie which works for you there.

@WhatMeRunning Kudos on making your target pace today - great start into 2016!

@7lenny7 the snowy trail is absolutely breathtaking!

@skippygirlsmom I hope your ITB gets better soon!

@Katiebear_81 Yay for the Zombies 5k :-p I recently started using the Zombies, run-app, and like it a lot so far. Though I have to admit I decided to only switch on the chases for one out of three runs, thanks to one too many times when the evil zombies decide to chase me up a hill - trying to stay ahead of the mob in those cases was killing me, I can't do that on all of my runs, so I'll only use the chase mode as a little speed training every now and then, and just enjoy the mission stories as entertainment the rest of the time.

--

I'm in the middle of looking at HM-training programmes right now. If I follow the plan I'm leaning towards at the moment, I should be running roughly 108km this month, so I'll set a goal of 110km.
    Although, weather allowing, I'll spend the Saturdays trying to learn cross-country skiing. I hope that won't interfere with running too much, but I might have to move the long runs towards the middle of the week somehow.

I've always used the Zombies, Run! app. I love it. I do not use the chases either. I only turn them on if I'm doing something specific, like sprint training. I've committed to using the training app until I'm up to a steady run for the half hour, then I'll switch back to the normal story mission app.

Nice job, @ekoth_09 !!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Yes, it was a great run. They don't all have to be PRs.
    Why did today have to be a rest day? Everyone is running but me and I am getting pi$$y and petulant....

Luck of the draw. My schedule originally had today as a rest day, but I rearranged it so I could do the race. That gave me yesterday as a rest day, when everyone else was putting in their final miles of the year and going past their goals if they hadn't already, and so on.
    @Virkati ...I do the same thing... I probably would have found something to do if I had a short run tomorrow, but I have to rest my legs from time to time... #gettingoldsucks #unlessyouaremobycarp

I don't track walking miles, but sometimes I happen to walk somewhere that I know the distance. Would it help if I told you I took a 5.2 mile walk on my rest day yesterday? No, probably not. How about:

#gettingoldsucks #unless_it_puts_you_in_an_older_age_group

Other people think "over the hill" and "black balloons". Runners celebrate changing age groups. Funny thing, though. I know a handful of 55-59 year old guys who seem to be celebrating my age group change more than I am. This includes one of my Boston training buddies.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I would love to join: I hope to do 80 miles this month.
    1/1/16: 3 miles
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Aaaannnnddd...I fell off my horse. Landed square on my tailbone, so I'm on ibuprofen and a heating pad. Luckily tomorrow is a rest day. Hopefully, I'll be able to do my 14 miler on Sunday...
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

My definition for a long run is anything that takes 90 minutes up to 2.5 hours in the aerobic range. Your body needs at least 90 minutes of aerobic intensity to stress the body to efficiently use fat stores which is the primary purpose of the long run.

Jinkies...I don't think I've done more than 1 "long run" by this definition. I'm thinking I might be looking at a SUMMER half..not a SPRING one. :D

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for a marathon in June so I need to start training. My goal for this month is 69 miles.

exercise.png

A 26.2 mile marathon?
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but I'm just starting C25k... How would I know many miles I've ran?

I track my run lengths in RunKeeper. But there are many apps that will do it. I'm REALLY cheap so I have only had a smart phone to do that for about a year (and it's a refurb!)

If you don't have a smart phone and you are truly coming from "I never run" as your beginning, then you can can probably assume that you will go 1 mile for every 15-16 minutes of "jog" interval.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles 4

exercise.png

OK! I ran with the wife for a really slow and easy 4 miles (well slow and easy for me).
    This is like a recovery run for me.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but I'm just starting C25k... How would I know many miles I've ran?

I track my run lengths in RunKeeper. But there are many apps that will do it. I'm REALLY cheap so I have only had a smart phone to do that for about a year (and it's a refurb!)

If you don't have a smart phone and you are truly coming from "I never run" as your beginning, then you can can probably assume that you will go 1 mile for every 15-16 minutes of "jog" interval.

When I started running, I was too cheap to have a smart phone. I timed my running with my wristwatch, remembered where I ran, and mapped the route on any of several web sites to get distance. That gets old, but it's *free*.

If you have a smart phone anyway, there are several free GPS running apps. Try a few and see which one you like best.

Time enough to go shopping for a GPS watch when you start to notice the limits of the GPS apps. For me, the relevant limits were poor iPhone battery life in the winter; difficulty starting the app timely in a race environment; and better flexibility for speed interval workouts with the GPS watch. If you live in a warm climate and you're just beginning, maybe none of those things are on your radar screen yet.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Aaaannnnddd...I fell off my horse. Landed square on my tailbone, so I'm on ibuprofen and a heating pad. Luckily tomorrow is a rest day. Hopefully, I'll be able to do my 14 miler on Sunday...

Ouch! Fingers crossed you're ready for Sunday!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - lol, yes definitely didn't sound right.
    @skippygirlsmom - So sorry about your pain. I'm sure your PT can get you back in. Poor Skip, worrying about mom.
    @lindsayjcode - I use Endomondo app to track my mileage. What I like is that my friends can see where I am running live.

Today was supposed to be the last day of my Holiday Streak (Thanksgiving thru Jan 1), and I had a longer run planned. Then, last night got talked into riding bike this morning. It was a really long and hilly ride and I was so sore afterwards that running would not work. SO.... I decided to end the streak as of yesterday. Tomorrow is another bike ride and then I really need to rest since I haven't had a day off since Thanksgiving. :wink: So my first run won't be until the 5th! Yikes. I think I may have to roll my extra 10 miles from December into January.

Jan 1 - 41 mile bike ride with lots of hills; no run. :angry:
    Jan 2 - 34 mile bike ride
    Jan 3 - rest day
    Jan 4 - rest day - back to work.

My sad little ticker:

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I just signed up for a marathon in June so I need to start training. My goal for this month is 69 miles.

exercise.png

A 26.2 mile marathon?

I suspect someone is being funny.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Youch!! Best wishes on the Sunday race.

So...I just got talked into a 39.3 half marathon series today by a friend looking to do their first HM (and series). Ok, talked into it might not be the right way to describe it. I may have volunteered more than anything.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Beginner here. Ugh. I'll go for... 50.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hand-held water bottles. .. check out Amphipod.... no competition
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Beginner here. Ugh. I'll go for... 50.

I take that back. 30.
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Wow! @7lenny7 that photo is gorgeous! How fun to get to run through that! Thanks for sharing.
  • lindsayjcode
    lindsayjcode Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Most use some sort of app, like Strava, map my run or a GPS device. I know there are more apps, sure others will have suggestions too.

Welcome!

Oh okay, so it can be a combination of both? I have Map my Run
  • lindsayjcode
    lindsayjcode Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning - lol, yes definitely didn't sound right.
    @skippygirlsmom - So sorry about your pain. I'm sure your PT can get you back in. Poor Skip, worrying about mom.
    @lindsayjcode - I use Endomondo app to track my mileage. What I like is that my friends can see where I am running live.

Today was supposed to be the last day of my Holiday Streak (Thanksgiving thru Jan 1), and I had a longer run planned. Then, last night got talked into riding bike this morning. It was a really long and hilly ride and I was so sore afterwards that running would not work. SO.... I decided to end the streak as of yesterday. Tomorrow is another bike ride and then I really need to rest since I haven't had a day off since Thanksgiving. :wink: So my first run won't be until the 5th! Yikes. I think I may have to roll my extra 10 miles from December into January.

Jan 1 - 41 mile bike ride with lots of hills; no run. :angry:
    Jan 2 - 34 mile bike ride
    Jan 3 - rest day
    Jan 4 - rest day - back to work.

My sad little ticker:

exercise.png

thank you! :)
  • ImNoAngel2
    ImNoAngel2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    hello everyone I am Jenn & I am Stoshew71's wife.

exercise.png

1/1 - 4.0 miles