The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• runningagainstmyself
    Options
    My goal for this month will be 50km. Getting back into shape after 5 weeks off so it will be a challenge but I think I can do it!

exercise.png

• Amy_Sokol
    Amy_Sokol Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My goal will be 75 miles. 90 if I am lucky!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Figured I should give up the pie for 2016. Bad example with all the newbies about.
    Wha??? A pox upon thee!!!

(Then get cold, windy and sick more often, lil hottie... :) )
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    9.3 miles today. The plan was 12 but it was cut short by a tweak to my right calf muscle. I continued to run the remaining 4 miles but used a very short stride and stopped to stretch it a few times. Hoping like crazy this isn't going to blossom into something worse.

9.3 out of 135 miles
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Amy_Sokol wrote: »
    My goal will be 75 miles. 90 if I am lucky!

Then I hope you get lucky....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @Virkati ...I do the same thing... I probably would have found something to do if I had a short run tomorrow, but I have to rest my legs from time to time... #gettingoldsucks #unlessyouaremobycarp

I read this as #gettin gold sucks and was slightly confused. :D
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @Virkati ...I do the same thing... I probably would have found something to do if I had a short run tomorrow, but I have to rest my legs from time to time... #gettingoldsucks #unlessyouaremobycarp

Straight talk right there lol

I was going to chastise you...but then saw you are over 50, so you are allowed to beotch...

• Amy_Sokol
    Amy_Sokol Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for a marathon in June so I need to start training. My goal for this month is 69 miles.

exercise.png

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    01- Rest day
    02- 13.02 long run – 8:28 pace

Total- 13.02 km
    Goal- 70 km

Longest run to date! Legs started tiring around 10K so took the last 3K home nice and slow :smile: Legs feel amazing! I made it a goal to run for 25 mins, walk 5 the whole way – worked well and I feel much more rested because of it.. Feel like it was easier on my legs! One thing though.. Took me 1:50:10 :unamused: Hopefully I get a little faster over the next few months.

Definitely looking for a water bottle I can hold while running or a belt that holds a bottle today – Around 10K it just hit me and I started getting a little sluggish and dizzy in parts. Had a water iceblock (icey pole) when I got home and felt pepped up within a few minutes. Definitely need to take water on the longer runs!! Thanks guys for your advice on that too! :wink: Off to the swimming pool now for some relaxation and light strength exercises! Happy New Year everyone!

Let’s smash 2016’s butt!!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Definitely looking for a water bottle I can hold while running or a belt that holds a bottle today...
    I have been happy with these 32oz water bottles. They have grippy textures on the sides and are flexible so I can grip them with no issues and not require an extra strap to the hand or anything. I've never dropped one. It's quite a bit of water, and if I need more I can usually refill somewhere along the way. Make sure you get your hands on any product before buying to make sure it will suit you. My first one gave out after about 700 miles, so I'm now on my second one. Not sure that they all give out after that much use, but it's a point of reference.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053RW7SS/ref=twister_B00DHA5SWK
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    First run of the year done :)

01/01........ 2.8 miles........ Total: 2.8 miles.

Felt really dizzy after my run. I'm attributing it to too many nachos last night and not enough water. Today, my water bottle and I will be best friends! Also opted for a post-run shake with some pink salt, so hoping to cover all my bases.

Best of luck on the recovery, @7lenny7! Running injuries blow! I have to keep reminding myself of that when I want to push through a little further, a little faster (every time I've started running after a prolonged break, I've done too much too soon, and set back training by a week or two. Lame).
  • lindsayjcode
    lindsayjcode Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but I'm just starting C25k... How would I know many miles I've ran?
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »

Straight talk right there lol

I was going to chastise you...but then saw you are over 50, so you are allowed to beotch...

@MorningGhost14 Ohhh DO chastise please sir...it's been so very long since I've been ~ chastised!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but I'm just starting C25k... How would I know many miles I've ran?

Most use some sort of app, like Strava, map my run or a GPS device. I know there are more apps, sure others will have suggestions too.

Welcome!
  • ekoth_09
    ekoth_09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Jan 1- 1 mile of a walk/jog
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lots of posts here already - nice to see so many familiar names, and welcome to the new people! :-)

@Stoshew71 thanks for setting up the challenge again!

@runner_girl83 I still haven't managed to buy any "proper running nutrition". For runs longer than 90 minutes, I try to remember to take little packages of wine gums with me. Every now and then I think I should look into gels or the like, but haven't really gotten around to that yet (somehow "gel" doesn't sound very appealing)...
    Sometimes I just eat a bit of chocolate before heading out to run, which always feels a little unprofessional to me, but on the other hand, it seems to work well enough and gives me an excuse to eat chocolate ;-)
    For water, I have a belt where a larger water bottle sits on my back (that one) - it's large anough to hold enough water unless the weather is really hot, and carrying a bottle of the same size in my hands would start annoying me really quick.
    On short runs I carry my phone in my hands, on long runs I take the water belt and stuff the phone in the front pocket.
    :lol: Got it! I'll try having some carbs 1 hr before my run instead of taking anything with me.. See how I go with that instead. I will try and get a little water bottle still as it's so hot over here and bit worried about dehydration. I read the other day that if I mix a tiny bit of salt in my water (I think that's the mixture?) and take small sips on my run it helps in much the same way as Gatorade? Can't find where I read it now though.
    There are some recipies for mixing your own sports drinks here: http://blog.walkjogrun.net/2012/06/28/how-to-make-your-own-energy-drinks/ - maybe you'll find a recipie which works for you there.

@WhatMeRunning Kudos on making your target pace today - great start into 2016!

@7lenny7 the snowy trail is absolutely breathtaking!

@skippygirlsmom I hope your ITB gets better soon!

@Katiebear_81 Yay for the Zombies 5k :-p I recently started using the Zombies, run-app, and like it a lot so far. Though I have to admit I decided to only switch on the chases for one out of three runs, thanks to one too many times when the evil zombies decide to chase me up a hill - trying to stay ahead of the mob in those cases was killing me, I can't do that on all of my runs, so I'll only use the chase mode as a little speed training every now and then, and just enjoy the mission stories as entertainment the rest of the time.

--

I'm in the middle of looking at HM-training programmes right now. If I follow the plan I'm leaning towards at the moment, I should be running roughly 108km this month, so I'll set a goal of 110km.
    Although, weather allowing, I'll spend the Saturdays trying to learn cross-country skiing. I hope that won't interfere with running too much, but I might have to move the long runs towards the middle of the week somehow.
  • ekoth_09
    ekoth_09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ekoth_09 wrote: »
    In for 25

Jan 1- 1 mile of a walk/jog. Starting small.
    1 mile done, 24 to go.

• sienainthesun
    sienainthesun Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Today was a regularly scheduled rest day and, though it was tempting to mix things up in my New Years excitement, I am sticking to my plan.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Figured I should give up the pie for 2016. Bad example with all the newbies about.
    Wha??? A pox upon thee!!!

(Then get cold, windy and sick more often, lil hottie... :) )

:blush: spank you