All protein diet?

Options
wannabefitmom1
wannabefitmom1 Posts: 36 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
thoughts of all protein diet for one week? (Lean meats etc) And slowly adding fruits/veggies/carbs 2nd/3rd weeks?

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    How would you avoid fat? Also, why? Also, no.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why? Although protein is essential in losing weight to maintain LBM, how is limiting your intake like that sustainable?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Horrible. Just horrible.
    No fiber, no vitamins. Digestive yuckiness. Not physiological. Terrible idea.
  • martelr
    martelr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You check out protein sparing modified fast. Helpful for a lot of people
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure to be honest. I've fluctuated in my weight for the last year and ultimately looking to lose 30 pounds. Per the suggestion of a weight clinic..to shock my body go into ketosis I should eat strictly protein for a week straight...nothing else. I've done it before and I lost a lot of weight but obviously my main goal is to lose weight yes, but be healthy too! I was just writing to see if anyone else had knowledge about the All protein process.
    Thanks for replying too :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure to be honest. I've fluctuated in my weight for the last year and ultimately looking to lose 30 pounds. Per the suggestion of a weight clinic..to shock my body go into ketosis I should eat strictly protein for a week straight...nothing else. I've done it before and I lost a lot of weight but obviously my main goal is to lose weight yes, but be healthy too! I was just writing to see if anyone else had knowledge about the All protein process.
    Thanks for replying too :)

too much protein will keep you out of ketosis...keto diets are high fat, moderate protein, and low carb.

i also see absolutely no value in doing a keto diet for a week.
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    @martelr where can I find that?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thoughts of all protein diet for one week? And slowly interpreting fruits/veggies/carbs 2nd/3rd weeks?

For what purpose, apart from not going to the toilet for a week???
  • katiely95
    katiely95 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't believe going all protein is a good idea at all. I have been losing weight healthily by just staying in a calorific deficit and keeping a watch on my macros. I honestly don't believe in actual "diets" because none of them have ever worked for me. You do you though....
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    @cwolfman13 True! Thanks for the response. The packet they gave me explained the process of ketosis but it makes sense too much protein could stop it.

And for everyone,
    I don't mean to sound like an idiot asking this question. It was genuinely asked because I was given a pure protein diet plan from a weight clinic I went to.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Why? Although protein is essential in losing weight to maintain LBM, how is limiting your intake like that sustainable?
    Completely off topic, but I just wanted to say that Vespiquen is one of my favorite Pokemon.

Unless you really want to eat a lot of meat, an all protein diet just seems silly and there a lot of people turn away at the idea of eating organ meats.
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    @katiely95 that's awesome! I appreciate your thoughts. I guess hearing/seeing someone else's response puts things into perspective!
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    thoughts of all protein diet for one week? And slowly interpreting fruits/veggies/carbs 2nd/3rd weeks?

For what purpose, apart from not going to the toilet for a week???

Who likes to *kitten* anyways????
    KIDDING!

Just looking for opinions on the process
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that? Is it to build muscle? Protein has diminishing returns when it comes to muscles. After a certain point it's near useless, and you are missing out on a lot of nutrients. Not to mention hormonal issues due to lack of fat and digestive issues. The clinic is probably aiming to maximize satiety, but is going about it all wrong. Look into other clinics if you need to be a part of a bigger program.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Really, an all-protein diet is unnecessary (and in fact detrimental) to being in ketosis. Additionally, ketosis is unnecessary for weight loss - you can lose fat just as effectively either way, although keto diets tend to have greater water weight loss at the beginning.

If you like being low carb, or if you have a medical need, then sure, go for it, but if you're doing it only because you think it will help you lose weight faster - it really won't. Any weight loss you get from a high protein diet would be just because you eat fewer calories on that diet.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If you have a kidney issues, all protein can be a bad thing. Keto diets are low carb, high fat, moderate protein, unless otherwise directed by a registered dietitian. Even on an all meat diet, you will get fat and probably a few carbs along the way, so really, there's no such thing as a "pure protein" diet. If you want to do a fast, go ahead. There's nothing wrong with fasting. It will kick you into ketosis faster, but you have to stay in nutritional ketosis for it to matter. Doing it for a week will do nothing except probably make you miserable as hell.

I do keto with 17:7 IF, so I know a little about keto and fasting. What you're attempting isn't going to be useful and that "weight loss clinic" is full of BS.

If you're interested in keto as a way of life:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

If you're interested in fasting as part of a healthy diet strategy:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

If you're interested in "kickstarting" anything:
    k5cc47yvre6i.jpg
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    @ki4eld
    Lmao @ the last part!
    I'm checking out the links now!
    I've been to the clinic before and did lose a lot of weight the first two weeks but always put it back on after.
    Obviously with appetite suppressors it would be easy to fast but I do absolutely want nutritional value. Thanks for replying :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    thoughts of all protein diet for one week? (Lean meats etc) And slowly interpreting fruits/veggies/carbs 2nd/3rd weeks?

I don't think that is necessary for weight loss. Weight loss is about calories. Nutrition is about the variety of foods your body needs to be healthy. You won't die if you only eat protein for a week. It just won't do much good and isn't nutritionally complete.
    Interpreting means to.understand or explain. Are you saying you will slowly try to understand fruits, vegetables and other carbs over the next 2 weeks or did you mean to use a different word?
  • perifecto
    perifecto Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    All protein or anything extreme that cuts out a food group is not recommended by responsible doctors looking at your longterm health versus a quick fix. A weight loss clinic is not going to look at your overall health necessarily as they are in business for one reason. This sounds like someone rehashing that old diet where people ate piles of meat (and fat and sodium too). Just don't do it please!

A balanced approach with measured portion control is the only thing that I have seen produce healthy weight loss that is sustained with no crazy side effects. The 21 Day Fix seems to have a decent balance of foods that is easy to manage for people who don't like too much counting and tracking. You buy the set of color coded containers and figure out based on your specifics how many portions from each category you get per day like protein in one color, veggies, fats, carbs in other colors/sizes.

I ordered just the containers and got the food info online instead of buying the whole expensive program with an exercise program that I personally cannot do. I know what works for my body after decades of being much healthier and active before letting old injuries and a sedentary job get the better of me. However, I have family members enjoying great success using the whole plan since September losing at least 40 pounds each by December. Two of them are at their goals and one is close. None of them has any injuries to prevent vigorous exercise like running or jumping.

If you also buy those reusable meal containers at least for taking work lunches, it seems fairly idiot-proof to figure out the amounts. Sticking with healthier lifestyle changes is of course the real challenge for all of us.
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    thoughts of all protein diet for one week? (Lean meats etc) And slowly interpreting fruits/veggies/carbs 2nd/3rd weeks?

I don't think that is necessary for weight loss. Weight loss is about calories. Nutrition is about the variety of foods your body needs to be healthy. You won't die if you only eat protein for a week. It just won't do much good and isn't nutritionally complete.
    Interpreting means to.understand or explain. Are you saying you will slowly try to understand fruits, vegetables and other carbs over the next 2 weeks or did you mean to use a different word?

sorry I meant incorporating, like adding.....my brains not working today with only being able to drink 1 cup of coffee today lol
    But I appreciate the response. I'm a little put off by the clinic I went to now, understanding there's no real value.
    I mean it was kinda obvious, but it did work when I did this a few months ago..I lost 8 pounds in the first week.