Low Carb / High Fat Eating Plan

Options
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can figure my percentages for low carb & higher fat and protein intake. What would be the best way to figure this out? Thanks for any advice you can give! :-)

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet is generally thought to be under 100-150g of carbs per day. Protein is usually moderate and the rest is fat.

You can use a macro calculator to figure out your settings. This one is aimed at a ketogenic diet (usually 5% of all calories are carbs for this) but you can adjust it. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Your percentages will be personal. My carbs are usually around 5%, protein is 20%, and fat is 75%. If you are low carb, your carb percentage may be higher and fat will go down. Protein will depend on activity and if you are in ketosis.

Best wishes.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    My macros are similar to above. 5% carbs, 25% Protein, 70% Healthy fats.
  • mirandadawn2
    mirandadawn2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's very helpful, thank you! I will check out the calculator. Have you had a lot of success on the lchf diet?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I have, yes. I have insulin resistance though so it suits my needs better than it may for others. I started a little over 6 months ago, and lost about 40 lbs to get down to a healthy weight of 150 lbs at 5'8" (about a size 8). I was eating about 1500 kcal and lost most of the weight in the first 4 months. When I keep carbs low, my appetite is lessened which makes Laing much easier for me.

Try the Low Carber Daily group. That's where most of the low carbers chat. It would be a good place to gather more info for yourself. :). Good luck.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am also a LCHF one .....my diary is open ....wishing you much success :)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can figure my percentages for low carb & higher fat and protein intake. What would be the best way to figure this out? Thanks for any advice you can give! :-)

My diary is open. I'm eating (generally) fewer than 50 net carbs - no more than 15-20 in a 3 hour period. (The quantity depends on how my blood glucose meter reacts.)
  • mirandadawn2
    mirandadawn2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have, yes. I have insulin resistance though so it suits my needs better than it may for others. I started a little over 6 months ago, and lost about 40 lbs to get down to a healthy weight of 150 lbs at 5'8" (about a size 8). I was eating about 1500 kcal and lost most of the weight in the first 4 months. When I keep carbs low, my appetite is lessened which makes Laing much easier for me.

Try the Low Carber Daily group. That's where most of the low carbers chat. It would be a good place to gather more info for yourself. :). Good luck.

Where can I find that group? Thanks so much!
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Where can I find that group? Thanks so much!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group see you there. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

My diary is open. I'm eating (generally) fewer than 50 net carbs - no more than 15-20 in a 3 hour period. (The quantity depends on how my blood glucose meter reacts.)

I have to wonder what you're getting your vitamins from, honestly.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Probably from quality meats, dairy, eggs, nuts, vegetables, berries and maybe a multivitamin. It isn't hard to get the nutrients you need without fortified grains (essentially vitamins added to food) or tropical fruits.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Hi everyone!

Probably from quality meats, dairy, eggs, nuts, vegetables, berries and maybe a multivitamin. It isn't hard to get the nutrients you need without fortified grains (essentially vitamins added to food) or tropical fruits.

Yeah but I looked at that diary and I'm not seeing a lot of fruit and veggies. That's why I'm wondering if such a diet is healthy.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Yeah but I looked at that diary and I'm not seeing a lot of fruit and veggies. That's why I'm wondering if such a diet is healthy.

A lot of veggies or fruits (especially) are not required for good health. Other quality foods beyond produce are nutritious as well. Meats, dairy, nuts and eggs are very nutritious foods.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

You hit the nail on the head here !!
    I personally think a well balanced diet with a wide variety of foods is best for me. I couldn't imagine eating like that. I do understand that some low carb folks do manage some fruits and veggies, but not all of them. Like any way of eating there will be people who make it work and others that don't.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Some people eat really badly and take supplements but as long as they lose weight they believe it's a-ok, that they go around advising others is worrisome
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Some people eat really badly and take supplements but as long as they lose weight they believe it's a-ok, that they go around advising others is worrisome

That could be worrisome... But what is eating "really badly"? That's subjective. The diet of a 20 year professional athlete will differ from that of a pregnant woman, or a 75 year old farmer, or a an Inuit, or a diabetic, or someone in chemotherapy, or a 17 year old growing boy.

My guess is that a supplement would be a step in the right direction for most of those people, especially if a person is eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

A lot of veggies or fruits (especially) are not required for good health. Other quality foods beyond produce are nutritious as well. Meats, dairy, nuts and eggs are very nutritious foods.

So what is good health? If 5 to 8 daily servings of fruit and vegetables reduces your chance of stroke and heart disease by 30% this is what?!? Wrong?!? I think you want to define things to meet your extreme restrictions of your diet. Unfortunately, meta studies have proven 5 to 8 servings daily of fruit and vegetables improve many health markers.

• nvmomketo
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

So what is good health? If 5 to 8 daily servings of fruit and vegetables reduces your chance of stroke and heart disease by 30% this is what?!? Wrong?!? I think you want to define things to meet your extreme restrictions of your diet. Unfortunately, meta studies have proven 5 to 8 servings daily of fruit and vegetables improve many health markers.
    My point is that a healthy diet varies depending on the individual and his or her circumstances. 5-8 serving of fruit and vegetables, especially high GI produce, is enough to raise my blood glucose, which would lead to inflammation and decreased health and possible health complications over time. We all know nutrition is not one size fits all.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely check out the low carbers daily forum. Very helpful and you'll come across a lot of information and research that will help you understand the reasoning behind, and benefits of, an LCHF diet. I was skeptical at first but I've come around and had some great results along with weight loss. I have PCOS and MS and there was a lot of overlap in the recommendations I found for both of those (LCHF for my PCOS/insulin resistance and a paleo-type diet per Dr. Wahls' research for MS) that led me to LCHF/keto. There's also a range even within keto (let alone the "low carb" umbrella); some people stay under 20 or fewer total carbs per day, up to 50 net per day (which allows for plenty of veggies and some high-fiber fruits).
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Whoa.. wait, I thought that a micronutrient was the same from whatever source. What magical nutrients are only found in fruits and veggies?

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

You don't need to wonder. My diet is being monitored by my GP (with a full range of bloodwork scheduled for March), and I don't log the supplemental vitamins I am taking to fill in the gaps left by things I can't eat because they do much more immediate and long term harm than eating the full range and quantity of grains and vegetables.

Just out of curiosity, do you make the same comment to people on a limited calorie diet - but not specifically low carb - who fill our their calories with a range of food you believe is not nutritionally adequate?