Is diet Pepsi really OK to have on a diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    No. Soda diet or regular is horrible for your bones.

Only if you're soaking your bones in a vat of the stuff for a long period of time. But that would suggest far more serious problems than your choice of beverage.

As usual, context and dosage are completely ignored in the name of fanaticism. When are people going to start talking about how deadly dangerous water is when you chug 10 gallons of it per day?
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, looks like it's A OK then. I'll try some of the suggestions and see which brand I prefer.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Coke Zero is my diet staple. Delicious stuff.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love A&W 10 root beer!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    No. Diet Pepsi is NOT OK.

But only because it's gross.

Diet Coke, on the other hand, is perfectly fine. :wink:
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Kidbonz wrote: »
    There are a few problems with Diet soft drinks. I gave them up for New Years. 3 days and still sober. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/17/349270927/diet-soda-may-alter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes

There are no problems with drinking diet soft drinks. The above article is full of fearmongering and short of actual science.

Mostly, it is short on links to the studies to which it refers. The microbiome is a hot area of research, and metabolic disorders are high on the list of things the microbiome influences. This area of research is too new and too broad to have tons of large scale research on point, but what there is is strongly suggestive (at least as to the microbiome/health connection). There are documented cases of diabetes both arising and vanishing after fecal transplants from individuals with/without diabetes into someone without/with diabetes. This article gives a general overview and alludes to the fecal transplant connection. This article seems to be the mouse study that was referenced.

Is a suggestion that artificial sweeteners may impact the microbiome, and secondarily things like obesity and diabetes, as part of a relatively balanced article that expressly acknowledges that this research is in its infancy really so outrageous that you need to label it "fearmongering"?