Do you ever have to make yourself eat?

Options

Replies

• ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Snack during the day! If you eat a package of granola bars that's around 200 calories right there. Some of those nutrigrain bars and that sort have a decent number of calories as well. Quite a few people enjoy snacking on almonds throughout the day as well. I try not to snack that much because I have no problems filling in calories but I do it now and then.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have a recurring problem... every time I start focusing on nutrition and health in general, I start watching my portion sizes and increasing my water intake... and I start losing my appetite. Its 9 pm here, and I have 800+ more calories to eat for today. Nothing sounds good, but I know I need to eat. *sigh*

Suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem?
    eat if you want to gain weight. Common sense.

My common sense is directing your suggestion to this thought -> don't eat if you want to lose weight.
    So if I don't eat at all, I will lose weight. I'll also become unhealthy and likely develop some sort of eating disorder. Is this really what you wanted to get across? Eating is good for people. Eating too much or too little is a problem, and this poster is trying to figure out how to NOT eat too little.
    I too was confused by that posters comment. Eat if we want to gain weight???? Do you mean enough throughout the day to fuel our body? Or are you actually telling the OP NOT to eat? ::shrugs::
    I was being sarcastic. It's just so frustrating, I do my best to help people, but they keep on raising the exact same questions, which are COMMON SENSE. They believe the lies that media, and fitness magazines say for financially gain. Everyone knows if you want to lose weight you need a caloric deficit, but they want to eat more?!?!?!?! "I thought we need a caloric deficit to lose weight." They forget rule 1. "create a caloric deficit." What happens when you make yourself eat? You're training yourself to over eat. COMMON SENSE. You're also increasing your caloric in take which will reduce the deficit COMMON SENSE.

THe media is just filled with lies and brain wash people. "eat multiple times a day to speed up your metabolism" LIE. You need to eat 1200 calories to avoid going in to starvation mode. LIE. Would a 110lbs woman who is 4ft 10inches tall be in starvatoin mode eating 1200 calories a day? NO. Does eating less slow down your metabolism. YES... What does exercise do? SPEED IT UP. So don't be concerned with that stuff if you're exercising. Hasn't a reduce caloric diet been linked to longer life span? YES. So you want to die earlier?? I know people are going to try to say "it doesn't work that way" so here are the scientific studies.

fasting burns 5 times more fat.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12051710

Weight training prevents muscle loss on a low calorie diet(800 calories with resistance training preserves muscle mass)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826

Multiple feedings has no effect on the BMR or Active metabolic rate
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8399092
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Every day.

Yup.

I do plan my meals out for the day, figuring in exercise calories, so I'm not left with a ton at the end of the day. But at the same time, when snack time or lunch time or whatever time rolls around, I frequently have to force myself to actually eat it.

Once I do, I find I feel better and have more energy, even if I didn't notice I was feeling low before the meal. It's too easy to become a chronic undereater, which can be just as unhealthy as overeating.

edit to add: To all the folks wishing they had this problem? No, you really don't. It sucks to have to force yourself to eat, but doing it anyway because it would suck worse to screw up your metabolism.
  • registers
    Options
    I have a recurring problem... every time I start focusing on nutrition and health in general, I start watching my portion sizes and increasing my water intake... and I start losing my appetite. Its 9 pm here, and I have 800+ more calories to eat for today. Nothing sounds good, but I know I need to eat. *sigh*

My common sense is directing your suggestion to this thought -> don't eat if you want to lose weight.
    So if I don't eat at all, I will lose weight. I'll also become unhealthy and likely develop some sort of eating disorder. Is this really what you wanted to get across? Eating is good for people. Eating too much or too little is a problem, and this poster is trying to figure out how to NOT eat too little.
    I too was confused by that posters comment. Eat if we want to gain weight???? Do you mean enough throughout the day to fuel our body? Or are you actually telling the OP NOT to eat? ::shrugs::
    I was being sarcastic. It's just so frustrating, I do my best to help people, but they keep on raising the exact same questions, which are COMMON SENSE. They believe the lies that media, and fitness magazines say for financially gain. Everyone knows if you want to lose weight you need a caloric deficit, but they want to eat more?!?!?!?! "I thought we need a caloric deficit to lose weight." They forget rule 1. "create a caloric deficit." What happens when you make yourself eat? You're training yourself to over eat. COMMON SENSE. You're also increasing your caloric in take which will reduce the deficit COMMON SENSE.

THe media is just filled with lies and brain wash people. "eat multiple times a day to speed up your metabolism" LIE. You need to eat 1200 calories to avoid going in to starvation mode. LIE. Would a 110lbs woman who is 4ft 10inches tall be in starvatoin mode eating 1200 calories a day? NO. Does eating less slow down your metabolism. YES... What does exercise do? SPEED IT UP. So don't be concerned with that stuff if you're exercising. Hasn't a reduce caloric diet been linked to longer life span? YES. So you want to die earlier?? I know people are going to try to say "it doesn't work that way" so here are the scientific studies.

Weight training prevents muscle loss on a low calorie diet(800 calories with resistance training preserves muscle mass)

For the last time......

She has a BUILT IN DEFICIT. She does not need to, nor should she, increase that deficit. STOP telling people to undereat.

Yes I am aware of the built in deficit. Under eating is a caloric deficit, that is what this site is about. It's simple math, if I eat 2000 calories a day, would i lose more weight or less weight if I eat 1800 calories a day??? common sense.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Some days, yes. Others no. I will often find myself naturally zig-zagging within a certain calorie range, as I often feel hungrier the day after I have a large workout vs. that day. I try never to go below 1200 -- I can ususally find some fruit or nuts to get the calories in when I'm not real hungry.
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    I have this problem too most days. I've met goal weight but mostly had a hard time reaching 1200. Now that I am easing into maintenance I am forcing myself to eat those additional calories so I don't lose much more. Even though I have been snacking all evening, I still haven't met my calorie gaol for the day. Bad part is I haven't even increased my calories all the way up to maintenance. It's not that I have issues with food, I'm just not hungry. Guess we are kinda lucky in a way, some people are hungry all day and I wouldn't want to be like that.
  • DancingFox
    DancingFox Posts: 88 Member
    Options

For the last time......

She has a BUILT IN DEFICIT. She does not need to, nor should she, increase that deficit. STOP telling people to undereat.

Yes I am aware of the built in deficit. Under eating is a caloric deficit, that is what this site is about. It's simple math, if I eat 2000 calories a day, would i lose more weight or less weight if I eat 1800 calories a day??? common sense.

You just told her to eat 800 cals per day. 1600 cal goal, she had 800 cals left, meaning she ate 800 cals for the day - and you told her not to eat more. That is a risk to someone's health. If you don't even bother to look at the person's situation, don't offer advice.

What's wrong with eating 800 calories a day?? If she's not hungry she shouldn't eat. You want to train her to overeat?? is that your goal so she gains weight? This is a risk to someone's health, you know low calories diets have been linked to longer life span, you trying to kill the woman??? If you don't know what you're talking about don't advise.

If your solution works for YOU, then great. Understand that is not the way it work for 95% of humanity. Please stop suggestion solutions to people that could endanger them or not offer them proper nutrition.
    That is all.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eating 800 calories a day?? If she's not hungry she shouldn't eat. You want to train her to overeat?? is that your goal so she gains weight? This is a risk to someone's health, you know low calories diets have been linked to longer life span, you trying to kill the woman??? If you don't know what you're talking about don't advise.

You're like a pro-ana girl trapped in a fat man's body.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options

Hahahahahaha
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    oh boy.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options

your posts always make my day
  • registers
    Options
    One person said I should be banned, another said... , others say my advice is "dangerous".... yet with no evidence of it. Sounds like the media, just randomly stating facts with out any evidence. So I'll ignore those.

Once again, "COMMON SENSE" is lacking. To lose weight you need to create a caloric deficit. should I repeat? COMMON SENSE. The greater the caloric deficit, the greater the weight loss. COMMON SENSE, i repeat again "COMMON SENSE" once again.. "COMMON SENSE" and one for the win "COMMON SENSE."
    If this is false, gastric bypass wouldn't work, plan and simple.

I am the one who is giving dangerous advice... THINK ABOUT IT, NICE AND HARD... This woman is "used to eat low amount of calories" that's obvious. You want to force feed her, you think force feeding someone has no ill side effects? How do most people gain weight, BY OVER EATING. COMMON SENSE. The more you eat, the more calories you take in. COMMON SENSE.

I didn't say "lower your caloric intake" i said "if you're not hungry don't eat." that's all I said... You want her to force feed herself, which can lead to severe metabolic trauma. I am the one giving dangerous advice??? THINK ABOUT IT.

THe entire thing about it "speeding up your metabolism" here are the FACTS, THE TRUTH...

For every 100 calories you eat of fat, 3 calories are burned in digestion, for carbohydrates 11
    calories, for proteins 20 calories.

If you eat 100 calories of protein to speed up your metabolism. You would burn 20 calories. You'd be better off not eating the 100 calories in the first place. COMMON SENSE.

Once again, all i said was "if you're not hungry don't eat." That's all... I know people can't read to well on here so let me clarify. I didn't say "EAT LESS" i didn't say "EAT MORE."

People need to put their "fitness magazines" away... and get educated.

To support what I have said, here are countless studies.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/6/2128.full

resistance training and fasting, weight is preserved, insulin is down
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/22/5/684

Weight training prevents muscle loss on a low calorie diet

breakfast slows down oxidation
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10967612

fasting longer than 6hrs increses fat oxidation,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212756

Low fat high carb diet lowers fat oxidation
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11171592

eating late verses early
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

skipping breakfast
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10967612

taso, you're a skinny woman in a skinny mans body.

If you people are going to randomly make claims, or state things about me. Please provide scientific evidence that states the counterary, if you can't do that, more than likely your claims are invalid.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    No, I never force myself to eat. I spent a month eating my exercise calories (from my HRM) and making sure my NET calories were close to 1200 and I only lost 1 pound in a month, not to mention often felt overly stuffed or sick most days. Now on average I burn 500-700 calories a day and only eat back about 1/3 of them and usually end up with a NET of 800-1000 calories and I am losing an average of about 3-3.5 pounds a week. I feel better and I don't feel like I am over eating anymore. That is what has worked for me.
  • registers
    Options
    One last thing, we know this woman has a hard time eating her calories, people keep on telling her to eat more. She has been on this site, for about a month, and lost 11lbs. That throws what most of the people are saying in the garbage. I quote myself "common sense" :-D
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

thanks bro. i used to be fat though. and then i decided to get fit. i burned my fat and became the healthiest i have been in my life. i have succeeded in my goal and i am proud. you have no idea how proud.

i am trying my best to help everyone succeed here.

my next goal is to add muscle so that i'm not so skinny any more. i will succeed there too. because i always succeed in what i set my mind to.

your ticker says you have 93 lbs left to lose. how about you lose about 73 or 83 of those. get into the home stretch, and then come back here and preach your nonsense.

edit: i predict you will just keep making new excuses and keep trying out new experiments, and teeter back and forth gaining and losing weight, while continuing to preach your nonsense all over the forums here. this is my challenge to you: back up your nonsense with some results. or just cut the *kitten* and stick to tried and true principles of fitness and weight loss. what's more important? trying over and over to prove some ridiculous ideas, or becoming as fit as possible?
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    One last thing, we know this woman has a hard time eating her calories, people keep on telling her to eat more. She has been on this site, for about a month, and lost 11lbs. That throws what most of the people are saying in the garbage. I quote myself "common sense" :-D

There's more people on this site that eat their calories and then some and still lose. I generally eat all my calories allowed and sometimes dip into my exercise calories. Your way may work for you but it's not healthy. I'm sure this woman and other people with COMMON SENSE (as you call it) will see that the healthy way isn't to starve yourself but to nourish your body and fuel it up so that you can continue working out to the best of your body's' ability. You may love to feel sluggish and slow (yet lose weight) but I think there are a lot more people who would rather feel happy, healthy and energized. Gotta put fuel in that car to make it run :)
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Run your car on fumes if you want to run out of gas. Common sense.

Don't eat if you want to feel like crap and be unhealthy. Common sense.
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    The fact that asmcriminal thinks calling someone a woman is an insult pretty much says it all.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    every day that i work! i never end up having time to eat very much nor do i want to. working kills my appetite i've been working at papa johns for about 2 & 1/2 years and have ate enough pizza for the rest of my life! so the smell of pizza totally grosses me out.
  • registers
    Options

thanks bro. i used to be fat though. and then i decided to get fit. i burned my fat and became the healthiest i have been in my life. i have succeeded in my goal and i am proud. you have no idea how proud.

i am trying my best to help everyone succeed here.

my next goal is to add muscle so that i'm not so skinny any more. i will succeed there too. because i always succeed in what i set my mind to.

your ticker says you have 93 lbs left to lose. how about you lose about 73 or 83 of those. get into the home stretch, and then come back here and preach your nonsense.

edit: i predict you will just keep making new excuses and keep trying out new experiments, and teeter back and forth gaining and losing weight, while continuing to preach your nonsense all over the forums here. this is my challenge to you: back up your nonsense with some results. or just cut the *kitten* and stick to tried and true principles of fitness and weight loss. what's more important? trying over and over to prove some ridiculous ideas, or becoming as fit as possible?

Taso if you have read my profile you will know I lost over 100lbs. I gained most back because a bad time in mexico. If you pay attentoin to the guys on my friends list who are actually built with low % bodyfat, they all agree with what I say. I am backing up what I am saying. The 3 weeks I lost the 20lbs, I barely exercised to a bad back. I think i exercised for one week. Now I am my back is better. Not once have i said "the tried and true methods are invalid." They work, not saying they don't. Can this woman lose weight by increasing her calories.. She can, never said she couldn't. You probably already know eating 6 times a day or once a day has no effect on BMR or AMR. You want to eat 6 times a day that's your choice, i got no issue with that. It does work, doesn't say it doesn't. There are better ways, that's all I am saying. Eating 6 times a day or once a day, if you create a caloric deficit that's what matters. Obviously if the caloric deficit isn't that much the less weight you will lose. This woman is fine with how she's eating.. as the topic suggest "do you ever have to make yourself eat?" she's not hungry. If she was hungry i'd advise her to eat. She not hungry though. She's fine.

Carbs effect heavy people and thin people differently. This implies, a person who is over weight has to do things differently than a thin person trying to get similar results.
This discussion has been closed.