Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    01/01 - 10 miles
    02/01 - 10.4 km
    03/01 - 10.4 km
    04/01 - 10.3 km

tot 46/500 km

standard crappy run, small improvements but not enough

wise to do a 10k tomorrow instead of usual HM (I won't be able to do it prob anyway)

@patrikc333 Just curious. Do you try to run all your runs at the same pace or do you switch it up?
    Running almost every day would suggest you have some faster days and some slower recovery days.
  • titianknitter
    titianknitter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just found this group/thread today and I'm hopping in. Goal for January is 60 miles. I did 2 yesterday and 2.8 this morning despite feeling crappy. Also starting to wonder if it's time for new shoes, blah.

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wow! I took off a couple days and so many posts! Can't wait to run in the morning!!! It's supposed to be about 50. So, I did the holiday streak and we have this unusually HOT Florida weather. When my streak ends ... the temp drops to perfect running weather. But I really needed to rest a couple days and took them.

@7lenny7 - sorry about your cousin.
    @runner_girl83 - how cute he is!
    @crimson_white and @elise4270 - re: snot rockets. There is a product that your doctor can prescribe called “Bausch & Lomb Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution“. A fellow cycler mentioned it to me last winter because my nose was constantly running on the bike rides in the colder weather. This is “head down, no stopping biking” -- I can barely let go of my handle bars (even if I was proficient at snot rockets).
    I asked my doctor about it and he said “I can’t believe you asked me about this!” He had read about it in a journal and had started prescribing it to his runners and athletes that have this problem and they all love it. I tried it on the one cold morning we had here, and when I biked in Charleston, and it’s great. It isn’t addictive and you just need a couple squirts and no runny nose. I'm going to try it while running tomorrow morning.
    Many cyclists have no issue with runny noses, but one guy in the group is famous for it and my friend told me “NEVER GET BEHIND HIM!” @skippygirlsmom - lol you and Skip are experts at it!

@shanaber - interesting about the GI issues. I found if I mix gatorade and sports beans, I have the same problems. I don’t use sports beans on runs unless it's more than 6-7 miles. And I rarely have gatorade unless it’s summer. But I learned the hard way last summer... do not mix those two products!

@ohhim - finally some cooler weather down here! You are going to do great in the race given it will be cooler than what you’ve been training in.
    @virkati - oh no, get better soon. Those things can linger.
    @moremonica - not silly! We all started somewhere.
    @stoshew71 - thanks for those links on nutrition.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Congrats on the new distance! I cranked out many miles last year at similar paces. Keep at it and you will be running distances you never thought you would even attempt. Better yet, you will feel like you could probably just keep on going forever after a good while of training like that. Not that I tried going on forever, mind you. :lol:
    ..., but it felt good. My nose just tends to want to get a little sniffly in the cool air. I must remember kleenex in the future.
    Snot rocket.. I resisted for years to do it. But last few days running sick, its become a must. No shame.
    ha ha you need to practice those snot rockets, Skip and I do, she is now an expert on not getting any on her hands or face, the trick is to turn your head to the side. Left nostril turn to the left, right nostril turn head to the right, this way you are not running into your snot.
    Ha! I never realized there was a technique to this! I do need to practice. When no one is around or looking in case I mess it up!

@kristinegift - I can't use GUs either. They make me super thirsty and I don't like the sticky mess.
    @virkati - hope you feel better soon! Strep is serious stuff! Take care of it! And yes, running is addictive (Hello my name is Shana and I am a running addict!)
    @runner_girl83 - I do think running helps your immune system once you have been doing it for a little while. Also, I have a Spibelt and love it. It is stretchy enough to fit my phone and bags for the pup and it doesn't bounce. I don't have water bottles for it - it might be too stretchy to support one though. I use a Fitletic belt for longer runs that has bottles you can attach. For the headphone cord you should see if you can find a clip for them. I have some from other headphones that I keep reusing. The clip hooks to the cord just below the Y point and I clip it in back on my sports bra or the neck of my shirt so I have no bouncing cord annoying me.
    @MrsKGrady - welcome back!
    Virkati wrote: »
    moremonica wrote: »
    I know this seems silly, but my goal is 10 miles for January.

exercise.png
    no such thing as a silly goal @moremonica
    @moremonica - I agree with @skippygirlsmom ...no such thing as a silly goal. You are much better off having a small and realistic goal, achieving it, and building upon it than something larger than your current ability. Not much worse than having the heart to get it done, but the body isn't in the same place, overdoing it, and getting sidelined from an unnecessary injury. And a LOT of injuries are preventable. So go at YOUR pace and don't compare yourself to anyone else.
    @moremonica - what they^^^ all said!
    So I got my long run in today! 10 miles with a brief walk to cool down afterwards at an 11'45'' pace. I definitely pushed myself a little too hard and ended up with some not so fun runners stomach, but after relaxing a little I'm doing better now. My legs were fine too, despite being a little sore going up and down stairs. Then my dogs escaped our back yard and when my neighbors came over and told us I went running out the house after them and I think I hurt my right shin in the process. Hopefully it'll be fine tomorrow, it would seriously suck if it's anything worse than a little sore.
    Nice run!!!! Just rub a little ice up and down your shin and give your calf muscle a good massage with your hand - squeeze the calf all over and hold for around 30 seconds at a time and then do the same to your achilles muscle (just above your heel at the back of the leg)... with the palm of your hand on your calf muscle, move your thumb and other fingers to massage the muscle.. Don't be afraid to be rough - the harder the massage the better it will be! This helps relieve shin pain :wink:
    @KatEmmaMarie - I second this^^^. It works wonders! You can even make little ice cups out of small paper (dixie) cups and tear the cup down half way once frozen. Then you have a perfect size bit of ice and a holder to use while rubbing it on your shin.

I was excited for today's run. Woke up and my back was fine and it wasn't raining (still hasn't started). Headed out and all was good but I must have jinxed myself talking about GI issues in my last post. I had to stop 3 times today and have no idea why unless it is a hydration issue and related to the evil, salty Chex mix I had yesterday! Anyway I felt better as soon as I got home and I got in an extra mile going back to the bathroom instead of heading directly home - LOL
    Date..........Miles.........Total
    01/01.......0.00..........0.00 - total rest/slug day. Did walk 1.5 miles with the pup
    01/02.......9.33..........9.33
    01/03.......0.00..........0.00
    01/04.......7.16........16.49 + Agility

exercise.png

These are my upcoming races, let me know if you are going to be running too:
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half, Huntington Beach, CA
    02/20/16 - Special Edition Divas Half, Temecula, CA
    02/27/16 - SoCal Running and Beer Fest, Lake Elsinore, CA
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @ddmom0811
    He put me on amoxicillin and I took the first dose in the parking lot of the pharmacy this afternoon.

I also talked to him about the hip issue. It's not a hip issue. It's the ITB. I never considered that because it doesn't radiate down my leg and no issues with that knee. Gave me some stretches, told me to foam roll and keep popping the motrin. He doesn't think the camber of the road I run on has anything to do with it, but I do. When I run on the treadmill, it acts up but it doesn't make me stop. On the road it hurts too bad to be able to actually run. So once I feel well enough to run again, I'm keeping it inside until the ITB doesn't flare up so much.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @shanaber @ddmom0811
    He put me on amoxicillin and I took the first dose in the parking lot of the pharmacy this afternoon.

I also talked to him about the hip issue. It's not a hip issue. It's the ITB. I never considered that because it doesn't radiate down my leg and no issues with that knee. Gave me some stretches, told me to foam roll and keep popping the motrin. He doesn't think the camber of the road I run on has anything to do with it, but I do. When I run on the treadmill, it acts up but it doesn't make me stop. On the road it hurts too bad to be able to actually run. So once I feel well enough to run again, I'm keeping it inside until the ITB doesn't flare up so much.

Oh I have such a time with cambored roads. Hope you heal up quickly!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I have a group question:

Looking at my Garmin data I'm running 5-10 minutes and walking 2-3 my entire run. Once in a while, I have runs that are better or worse. I can run a race non-stop, 10k done, besides the chafing I had on the HM, I feel like I could have done it (minus the water stations). I nailed the first 10 miles.

My husband thinks its mental. I'll be able to rule out cardiac issues in a few weeks (which really I doubt I have, but who knows).

Lets assume it's mental. What the heck do I do? Could it really be mental?

While there could be a physiological component, an awful lot of distance running is mental. Assuming the walk/run thing is primarily mental, here's an exercise to train yourself to keep running: Instead of doing run/walk intervals, do run/run slower intervals. This will help you get mentally used to doing a couple of things: Running slower to rest instead of walking, and going back to running faster after you've had some recovery while running slower.

If you get scientific about this, Jack Daniels has several paces of different speeds that are used for different training purposes; and the distance or time of the interval varies by what length race you train for and where you are in the training cycle. But the mental aspect is pretty much the same; you get used to the idea that it's okay to run slower, but it's not okay to stop running.

That's a very simplified explanation of speed work. Its primary purpose is to train you to run faster in the race, but it can also help you with the mental effort to keep running and the mental effort to turn it up a notch when you get near the finish line.

Of course, all this needs to be tossed out the window if it turns out there is a real physiological reason you need to back off to walking for your intervals.

If it's simply that you can't keep running longer than 10 minutes, but you can run again after you've walked 3 minutes, chances are there's a simpler cure: Just run slower, to the point where you *can* keep running for however long your planned run is.

Thanks. I'm going to try to go slower. See if it really is mental.

I figure if I'm running a bit at a 8-9 min mile, I just may be overdoing it. I'll ease off the pace and focus on distance and stop trying to out run my husband. I was reading about using HR as a guide. I usually run till its 190-200+ then walk to 150-170 and run/walks again. I may shoot for slower pace that puts me about 160-170-which is a comfortable pace. Kind of a "duh" moment huh? LOL!

Did a stress test today. Unremarkable. I'm ruling out cardiovascular issues.

Wow, those heart rates sound awfully high. On long runs, my heart rate peaks out somewhere between 160 and 185 while I warm up, then settles down to the mid-120s for the bulk of the run. When I let the pace creep faster, it hangs out in the mid 120s to mid 130s. For reference, Garmin puts me into Zone 3 at 129 beats per minute.

Even accounting for the fact that you're probably younger than I am, a continual run with HR in the 190s just blows my mind away. [Pause to check my last race . . .] At Resolution Run last Friday, my HR peaked at 175 because I didn't really have a quite long enough pre-race warm up; then it settled down and spent most of the race around 150. That's at race effort for 7.5 miles, on a tough day to run, in rolling hills. Take a look at Reindeer Run 5K . . . had a good pre-race warm up, and my HR peaked at 164 during the race and averaged 149. I ran Reindeer Run hard enough that I felt like puking when I stopped after crossing the finish line.

If I put that much effort into every run, I'd put myself onto the couch within 3 months.

Yeah, running slower sounds like the obvious thing for you to try.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    10 km - a slow 72 mins - 15 mins slower than my average. I blame it on a calf muscle that still needs a little babying ( run-walk-run for 1st km) and being over dressed even though it is -16C.
    Fleece Tight + Running Tights + Running Shorts + Gore-Tex pants on bottom
    2 Tech Shirts on top + Fleece vest and Coat. Didn't need the Gore-Tex pants and 1 of the Tech Shirts on top.

01/01 –0.0 Km – 140 km – 0.0 Km – – YTD – 0.0Km
    01/01 –6.0 Km – 134 km – 6.0 Km – – YTD – 0.0 + 6.0 = 6.0Km
    01/02 –7.0 Km – 127 km – 13.0 Km – – YTD – 7.0 + 6.0 = 13.0Km
    01/03 –5.0 Km – 122 km – 18.0 Km – – YTD – 5.0 + 13.0 = 18.0Km
    01/04 –10.0 Km – 112 km – 28.0 Km – – YTD – 10.0 + 18.0 = 28.0Km

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy

January to date total - 33.63
    Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes - Winter is here. It was 14° with 10 mph N wind when I got out to run this evening. The lake effect snow had diminished to a few flakes looking pretty in my headlight, but no longer accumulation on my freshly shoveled driveway. The shoulders were snow covered, but the traffic lanes were clear. This is familiar winter running weather, except we didn't have any of it till this week.

At 14° it's a real challenge to hold the pace easy. The natural inclination is to run faster to generate more heat. My target for an easy run is a pace between 8:00 and 8:30; I managed to achieve a 7:56 average. That will just have to be close enough for today.

Upcoming races:
    Jan. 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Also in a race you are running many times with others that are going your pace. Many of these folks are very steady runners.
    That's me a very steady 6min/km runner and I actually find it hard to run ( Faster/Slower ) with a group unless there pace is very close to my normal/average 10km pace. If they are faster or slower I find myself surging-coasting so my pace goes up and down like crazy.

@CrimsonWhite LOL at all the Snot Rocket advice. Yes it takes practise and as some else said do a shoulder check first to make sure that your not about to Shot a fellow runner.
    moremonica wrote: »
    I know this seems silly, but my goal is 10 miles for January.
    @moremonica To Quote the Chinese philosopher Laozi " a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". Even the longest and most difficult ventures have a starting point.

@runner_girl83 I agree since adding running and swimming to my routine I seem to be less susceptible to colds.
    When it comes to Fuel and Hydration Practise on Short Runs to see how they work for you. Some will be great - some will be disasters. And yes "This running shizz is getting serious now".
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    to all experienced runners. A question.

So, I ran for ten miles yesterday. It was somewhat slow, 8:45 pace. I had such a good time running. However, I had heel and achilles tightness and pain in both feet. I iced both most for the day. Pain was a 7 or an 8 for a few hours when I walk, but because of the icing (me thinks), my feet were very okay today. No effect that I can tell.

The question, is this a sign that I am overworking myself and my muscles? Or is that a normal reaction given the fact that's my longest run ever and that I only started running five months ago? Do other runners suffer the same when they push themselves? (my regular runs are 4-6 miles.)

I decided to cross-train, run one day and do elliptical the other. Is that a good remedy?
    Thanks!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    As @ddmom0811 pointed out, getting some very nice cooler weather this week. Still, I'm not sure it'll hold out until Sunday (as google is showing 64 degrees w. 94% humidity for the start of the race), but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be closer to 60. Just did another slow 7 miles today. Will rest tomorrow, run Wed/Thu, rest Fri, then do a short run Saturday before the marathon.

1/3 - 10 miles (5 speedwork, 5 slow)
    1/4 - 7 miles

Total: 17 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 163 miles
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have one of *those* friends who makes a new years resolution and then finds all the excuses under the sun just days later. For years they have asked me to be their accountability partner and I have been willing to do it every time.. They have a huge list of why they need to get healthy/fit and how it will improve their life.. though the excuses, when they start, are so far fetched.. I try and talk them around every time with no luck. This New Year's was no different.. A promise to join a gym, lose weight, get strong, eat healthy... and now the excuses begin. I can't even bare to hear the excuses let alone be the accountability partner!! Do you know one of *those* people? How do you deal with it?

On the plus side.. This whole ordeal just makes me more determined to reach my goals for 2016:
    • To avoid injury
    • To do at least 1 Fun Run/ Virtual Run each month
    • To join a running club (already done!)

and here's the race list I'm working on.. maybe too many HM's? lol

2016 Races
    9/1 – New Year Virtual 10K
    6/2 – Ninja Virtual 10K
    5/3 – Howl At The Moon Virtual 10K
    26/3 – New York Strong Virtual HM
    23/4 – Boston Strong Virtual 10K
    (MAY) – Melanoma Awareness Virtual HM
    (JUNE) – Rattle My Trail Virtual 25K
    17/7 – Jetty 2 Jetty HM
    (AUGUST) – Mental Health Awareness 10K
    (SEPTEMBER) – Childhood Cancer 10K
    22/10 – Run For Life 10K
    (NOVEMBER) – Domestic Violence Awareness 10K
    (DECEMBER) – Family Reunion HM

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    to all experienced runners. A question.

So, I ran for ten miles yesterday. It was somewhat slow, 8:45 pace. I had such a good time running. However, I had heel and achilles tightness and pain in both feet. I iced both most for the day. Pain was a 7 or an 8 for a few hours when I walk, but because of the icing (me thinks), my feet were very okay today. No effect that I can tell.

The question, is this a sign that I am overworking myself and my muscles? Or is that a normal reaction given the fact that's my longest run ever and that I only started running five months ago? Do other runners suffer the same when they push themselves? (my regular runs are 4-6 miles.)

I decided to cross-train, run one day and do elliptical the other. Is that a good remedy?
    Thanks!

Haven't had pain in achilles or heel before.. but occassionally get sore arches. I stand on my little spikey ball where it hurts and although it can get painful, my feet feel fantastic once I've done it!.. Maybe try that with your heels? or massage?
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey bit late to the party but I'm in for 75 miles training for my first half marathon in May.

3/1 6.7 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    29/5 Edinburgh HM
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Date – Km’s – DTD
    02/1 – 13.02 – 13.02 – 8:28 pace
    04/1 – 05.06 – 18.08 – pushing pram, 8:40 pace

exercise.png

Decided to move my Tuesday running day to Monday’s instead.. I am going to challenge myself by running with my little boy in the stroller on these Monday runs – Boy it’s hard work! Kudos to all those running mums & dads out there that do it often! Have also joined the Running Mums Australia group – some meet up in certain suburbs each weekend so will try and get to some of those meetings this year! :smiley:

0y9p4p0yz6yj.jpg

Upcoming Races
    9/1- New Year Virtual 10K
    6/2- Ninja Virtual 10K
    5/3- Howl At The Moon Virtual 10K
    17/7- Jetty 2 Jetty HM (Redcliffe)
    22/10- Run For Life 10K (Springfield)

@runner_girl83 - great run pushing the pram! When I had little babies, I tried running a couple of times with the pram, but found it way too hard. I was super happy to wait for hubs to get home so I could go out by myself.

Love the idea of virtual running too. Something I hadn't considered yet.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Since I completely missed my target of 60miles over the past 2 months I'm going back to try for 50 miles this time.
    01/01 none
    01/02 3.5miles
    01/03 none
    01/04 3miles
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Jan 1 -41 mile bike ride
    Jan 2 - 34 mile bike ride
    Jan 3 - rest day
    Jan 4 - rest day
    Jan 5 - 5.25 miles

exercise.png

I was so excited to run this morning that I woke up before my 4:15 alarm! Even though I loved having 2 weeks off and being out of my routine, it felt great to be back on my early morning run.