What to do with my big clothes

Options
Went shopping yesterday ( after Christmas sales) and had fun ( for once) getting things in my new size. Do I dare give away my old clothes - or box them up in case???

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep one size up in a box, tucked away. I lost 5 sizes, so I definitely got rid of the big stuff.

I figure what if I get to goal and feel like adding muscle, my measurements change (in a good way) and that size just doesn't cut it anymore and I have a fall back. It's been at goal for almost a year now and I'm thinking I'd like to recomp, so those close may come in handy.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of them. That's like keeping pictures of your ex just in case you get back together...even though you know you aren't good for each other! Out with the old, in with the new, and CONGRATULATIONS on your success! :)
  • kisamekick
    kisamekick Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Donate them! :smiley:
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I traded with a cousin. She used to be thin and now is heavier. Worked out great for both of us. Maybe you can post on craigslist to find someone you can swap with. Either way, I say definitely get rid of most of your bigger stuff. You are more likely to keep the weight off if you are faced with going to the store to buy all larger sizes- not fun!
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with those who say to get rid of them. Look at it this way... By keeping them "just in case" you're already saying that you could fail and gain the weight back. By getting rid of your bigger sized clothes, you're committing to yourself to never going back and doing whatever it takes to keep the weight off for the rest of your life.

Do it! Never go back! It's so liberating!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I donate them when they are ridiculously too big for me. I usually end up keeping one size up because they are still "wearable", but at 2 sizes up, they look stupidly big. So they go to donations.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I kept one pair of pants that I wore when I was my heaviest. The rest I donated. I felt that keeping them "just in case" would be planning to gain the weight back, and I have no intention of doing that. I kept that one pair that I try on every now and then as a reminder of how much progress I've made. When I feel like the scale isn't being my friend, my "fat pants" prove that my efforts are paying off. Last time I put them on, my husband said to me "Where'd those come from?" He couldn't remember me wearing them and couldn't believe how baggy they now are. :#
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly suggest getting rid of them. I didn't last time and that made it SO easy to go back to using them when I started to gain weight.

I know for sure this time I WILL kick every last item out that is too big. Which will be very sad because I have some dresses that look great both when I'm smaller and larger but they are stretchy and I wear them a lot... The only exceptions will be two items - one pullover which I bought abroad and a sweater my Mum knitted for my Dad just before he passed away. It's ok to keep things which have sentimental value but everything else will go out.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i donate them. and I find it's motivation to keep off the weight (or in my case, keep losing)
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ok- donating them to Goodwill.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Went shopping yesterday ( after Christmas sales) and had fun ( for once) getting things in my new size. Do I dare give away my old clothes - or box them up in case???

Depends on what you do and what your goals are really. I gave away all of my stuff, all of it gone!

I do have 2 sizes of clothing though, I have a medium and large size ... just depends if I am bulking, cutting or in maintenance mode. So if your goals are to body build then I would say yes keep 1 larger size if not ...don't second guess yourself give that stuff away and never allow yourself to purchase the old sizes again.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As mine become too big to wear, I sell them. Gets them out of my house and makes a few extra bucks to put towards new clothing.

I personally wouldn't keep them as a just in case since that seems like you will end up back there. When my clothing starts to get tight, I know that it is time to buckle down again.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I like to keep things in one size bigger. I personally don't think whether or not you regain weight has anything to do with keeping old clothes, but people have different thoughts on this. I've lost 6 sizes (12 numbers) and have been at this size for more than 3 years and haven't needed the size up but I'd just as well have it than have to buy new stuff if it got to that point;
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It depends. In the back of your mind, are you playing with the idea that you might not be ready to live this way forever? Then you better keep them. I kept mine more than once, and needed them more than once, but this time I know my diet is sustainable and I wouldn't be able to go through this process again. I'm boxing them up and sending them out the door! But here's something we did the other day- a bunch of friends had a swap. I took a storage tub of some of my nicest 2X/3X stuff, and left with some nice new 16/18 stuff. The rest none of us wanted went to Goodwill. :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

I have purged all XL clothes over the years and haven't looked back. I have fluctuated in weight a bit, but I use that as a measure of when I need to get back to counting. Clothes get tight = work needs to be done.

• VeryCarrie6969
    VeryCarrie6969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Donate 'em to the thrift shop. Then bring home some bargains for yourself. Great place to shop as your size changes!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I bring them to Goodwill. They give me a coupon for 10% off my next purchase. If I gain weight I can always pick up clothes in the cheap there. I dint breed to waste space keeping things that don't fit.
  • MrAstro
    MrAstro Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually resized all my old t-shirts using a sewing machine since they were already fairly new when I started to lose weight. It wasn't very hard and there are some good tutorials on youtube.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I like to keep things in one size bigger. I personally don't think whether or not you regain weight has anything to do with keeping old clothes, but people have different thoughts on this. I've lost 6 sizes (12 numbers) and have been at this size for more than 3 years and haven't needed the size up but I'd just as well have it than have to buy new stuff if it got to that point;

If I'd kept some around, I would not be in the predicament I am in now - moving down rapidly (about .3 lb/day - total of 29 lbs so far), with no workk/dress pants to sear(since I refused to buy any on the way up the last time). "De Nile" is not just a river in Egypt :). And I don't want to buy any at this size because they I could only wear them for a couple of months. Unfortunately, it's winter time and too cold to wear the dresses that are mostly stretchy and fit my current size!

. . . I'm about 5 lbs from 3 pair of dress pants :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I sold mine at a second hand store yesterday and got a new Stella McCartney gym bag with the store credit (new to me). Sell!