Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    No bento for me again (chicken & dumplings instead today) but I finally have salad in the house, so I should be able to make & bring bentos the rest of the week - assuming I'm not a complete slacker tonight (but my husband and I just started watching Game of Thrones for the first time ever last night so......no promises...)
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Back after an entire year, with a bento box!!! Creations yet to come, but now I am prepared!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So finally back to making lunches again. No bento box, just tupperware today but still happy to be able to make hubby lunch to take to work. Meatloaf cupcakes, stuffing (store bought), green beans, and normal ketchup. 35fad08f0527a4d7d1979438bc48088a.png
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hello! Long time lurker, fan of your works :wink:

Here's today's bento in an outdated Christmas tablecloth Smiley LOL: (second tier) Kiwi slices, baby carrots, sabra hummus, cherry tomatoes, turkey ham, babybel cheese and blueberries. The first tier had some crackers and a tamagoyaki.

2a8fg1guacf8.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Moar bentoers! Moar! MOAR!
    aohtc42nju7y.gif

Today's bento for me is rice with umeboshi & furikake, a tamagoyaki, a couple of beef bulgogi mini meatballs and veg (broccoli, carrot, capsicum, green beans, snow peas & cabbage).
    5js8jbtjdt19.jpg
  • Missisnotmyfirstname
    Options
    Today's attempt. Bit less food today and I've chopped the veg sticks up and will mix with the hummus to have on the crackers.
    dxt2p0n3yak3.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Today's attempt. Bit less food today and I've chopped the veg sticks up and will mix with the hummus to have on the crackers.
    dxt2p0n3yak3.jpg

It's kinda surprising how much food you can fit into a lunchbox when you're packing it tighter huh? I think lots of people pack a massive amount of food the first time they try one.
  • Missisnotmyfirstname
    Options

It's kinda surprising how much food you can fit into a lunchbox when you're packing it tighter huh? I think lots of people pack a massive amount of food the first time they try one.

It really is!
    This was still a bit much to be honest!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Speaking of big boxes of food, I'm hangry. Like, reeeaallllll hangry at the moment. Yay hormones! In light of the fact that I know I'm going to want to dive mouth first in to every food item I can see today, I have a much larger bento box than normal. Double the rice, a large serving of meat, and an array of snacky things:
    8ai6drw2eqp4.jpg
    Rice with adzuki beans (Japanese sweet red bean) and shiso furikake, pulled pork with a bottle of tonkatsu sauce, mixed veg. rice crackers, a matcha choc chip cookie, and I finally have bunny and bear egg moulds! So two hard boiled eggs it is.

For reference just the main tier of this box is about 1.5 times the size of my normal bento box that I've been using day to day. I might not eat everything in here, but I'd rather have it than empty the cookie jar or scarf a couple of my Quest bars.
  • mangrothian
    Options

It really is!
    This was still a bit much to be honest!

If you find it's still too much, try going down to one container, but put your fruit in there as well; just make a cup out of some clingfilm or a large lettuce leaf to keep them separate though if keeping your sweet and savoury together isn't really your thing.
  • smimic14
    smimic14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sometimes bento on the days I have class!
    fzxpk774pdxz.jpg
    ^got me some spinach & carrots, a few pork pieces from the day before, and spicy tuna & cucumber sushi rolls (plus an apple)
    I only have so much time between classes to eat so my bento is kinda small, and it's usually just leftovers. I'm going to work on my bento skills this semester to make them healthier & cuter~
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Dammit, now I want sushi!

FINALLY have a bento!! And it's a brunch bento! ^_^ Leftover "Denver skillet" (eggs, cheese, ham, hashbrowns, green peppers, onions, mushrooms) with mixed veggies to fill the rest of the room & a side salad.
    fhhu8i4gzoby.jpg
  • Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Random question- Do any of you notice a taste difference between white and black sesame seeds?
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Editme12 wrote: »
    Random question- Do any of you notice a taste difference between white and black sesame seeds?

Not really, but I generally don't have them in high enough volumes to notice the difference. Is that what you're finding?

Black sesame seeds are just generally more common in Japanese cuisine, which is why so many of the products that some of us use have them. If you'd rather use white sesame seeds, then there shouldn't be a difference in the end result of a dish.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    7oc82pc167mr.gif
    WAI! Happy Anniversary Bento Thread! :D

I didn't think the original post would get more than a handful of replies, let alone over 90 pages of them. So much delicious food!
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    YAY! Go, Bento thread, go!

u0ie601dq4t7.gif
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Wow a year flies by so fast! Happy one year bento thread <3
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Happy anniversary bento friends!

sgy6iicdj5p8.jpeg
    ixuf0rhts3k9.jpeg

It has been a while but here are my bentos for this week. The first set are raspberry chia greek yogurt, kiwis and strawberries, chicken roll ups, mushrooms, carrots, tomato, arugula, and a coconut bite. The second set is mainly the same except for the banana peanut butter greek yogurt and green chile sausage. Yum yum!
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Yay, anniversary!! Boo, no bento today! V.V We finally went grocery shopping, but I didn't have time to then cook something to finish off the bento I'd started making. I'll make sure to do something tonight so I can bring it tomorrow.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Woot for bentos!

I won't have one today but I did have one yesterday at work. Needed to eat a little light as I had plans for eating late after the gym (mmm burrito). I also tried out my new veggie slicer thing I got on clearance. Used the ribbon blade on a zucchini which came out more like thin sliced C shapes but that's okay. Had raw zucchini along with a sort of deconstructed sushi: rice, spicy thai tuna and couple small pieces of seaweed.

2pt78qu.jpg