1 stone to loose by Feb the 1st.

Options
Hi All,

I've set myself a mini challenge - not too easy and not too difficult.
I want to loose 14lbs (1stone) before the 1st of Feb 2016. I have just over 3 weeks to dot this in.
I'm not starving myself or doing anything which isn't safe.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to help me along the way.

On a typical day i'm consuming 1300 calories,
Breakfasts are things like, All Bran, milk and some fruit. Or ill have fruit and yogurt.

Lunch is something like soup or salad.

Dinner is always lean meats and salad or veg.
No Processed foods. If I'm hungry in between meals i will eat things like, carrot sticks, cucumber, lemon water.

I'm trying to exercise at least 2/3 times a week, on my elliptical trainer. However I've not been well and haven't done any exercise in about a week now :-( When i'm better i will have to work my butt off.

Anyway enough rambling now! Ha, any tips and tricks would be great. Add me if you want to be friends :-)

Thanks everyone xx

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Unless you are obese it's not going to happen. Sorry OP, but your goal is extremely unrealistic.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    14lbs isnt all that realistic, sorry. Of course it depends on how overweight you are. your diet seems fine, i would exercise a little more - like 4 times a week and incorporate strength training rather than just cardio. Good luck
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Thats alot to lose in 3 weeks unless you are just starting and have a lot to lose then you could lose water weight but if not much over maybe 2 lbs a week and that might be hard. Just lose what you can and keep at it until you lose what weight you need to lose just have to be patient.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Hi and Welcome
    Slimdownmb wrote: »
    Hi All,

Mini challenges can be great

I want to loose 14lbs (1stone) before the 1st of Feb 2016. I have just over 3 weeks to dot this in.

Sorry I think you'll find that might be a bit steep. Yes you will probably lose more weight to begin with, maybe even 5lbs or so in water weight / food in digestive tract - possible 10 in which case your extra 4lb in 2 weeks is an OK target. But in general the faster you lose the more LBM (muscle) you lose, the best guideline is 1% of bodyweight so over 6 - 8 weeks you really shouldn't look to surpass that.

I think you'll find a number of experienced people on this site come in to say too fast .. they would be right in general

I would imagine in the first 3 weeks you're probably looking at 7 - 8 lbs as a decent target, unless you are morbidly obese

Breakfasts are things like, All Bran, milk and some fruit. Or ill have fruit and yogurt.

No Processed foods. If I'm hungry in between meals i will eat things like, carrot sticks, cucumber, lemon water.

I'm trying to exercise at least 2/3 times a week, on my elliptical trainer. However I've not been well and haven't done any exercise in about a week now :-( When i'm better i will have to work my butt off.

Anyway enough rambling now! Ha, any tips and tricks would be great. Add me if you want to be friends :-)

Thanks everyone xx

What are your stats - height, weight, age, activity level
    Don't overestimate your calorie burn from your elliptical - best to allow 50 - 75% of the MFP database allowance (you can click on the calorie count and adjust before entering it)

1300 sounds like a low calorie level, but fine to start off with (I was at 1200 for about 6 weeks, plus exercise until I thought bugger that and hit 1500 plus exercise, then 1800 plus exercise .. now in maintenance I hit around 2300 - 2400)

Don't be prescriptive - eat what you like just calorie count it

You may find proteins fill you up faster, or fats, or a combination - me I like carbs and proteins for satiety and lots of vegetables

good luck
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Unless you are obese it's not going to happen. Sorry OP, but your goal is extremely unrealistic.

Well yes I am Obese - i am 20 stone 5lbs. I am to loose 3/4 lbs a week which is not unrealistic at my size.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Well yes I am Obese - i am 20 stone 5lbs. I am to loose 3/4 lbs a week which is not unrealistic at my size.

you can stand to lose 3-4lbs the first couple of weeks, as a lot will be water, but what happens if you don't hit your goal? disappointment and comfort eating? a more realistic goal of 10lb a month would probably give yo u more incentive and motivation longer term.

good luck!
  • Slimdownmb
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi and Welcome
    Hi All,

Mini challenges can be great

Sorry I think you'll find that might be a bit steep. Yes you will probably lose more weight to begin with, maybe even 5lbs or so in water weight / food in digestive tract - possible 10 in which case your extra 4lb in 2 weeks is an OK target. But in general the faster you lose the more LBM (muscle) you lose, the best guideline is 1% of bodyweight so over 6 - 8 weeks you really shouldn't look to surpass that.

I think you'll find a number of experienced people on this site come in to say too fast .. they would be right in general

I would imagine in the first 3 weeks you're probably looking at 7 - 8 lbs as a decent target, unless you are morbidly obese

Thanks everyone xx

What are your stats - height, weight, age, activity level
    Don't overestimate your calorie burn from your elliptical - best to allow 50 - 75% of the MFP database allowance (you can click on the calorie count and adjust before entering it)

1300 sounds like a low calorie level, but fine to start off with (I was at 1200 for about 6 weeks, plus exercise until I thought bugger that and hit 1500 plus exercise, then 1800 plus exercise .. now in maintenance I hit around 2300 - 2400)

Don't be prescriptive - eat what you like just calorie count it

You may find proteins fill you up faster, or fats, or a combination - me I like carbs and proteins for satiety and lots of vegetables

good luck

Hey Thanks for your reply.
    I'm 5ft 6 - 285 lbs - 20.5 stone. 23 and lightly active.
    Yer it is pretty low calorie, but I've been filling up on a lot of fruit/veg and salad. I'm not hungry i'm getting plenty of vitamins as well which is making me feel great just on its own.
    My Elliptical has a calorie count on it, its a pretty decent one i roughly go by that.
    I cant eat carbs due to the fact my body cant process them efficiently. So that's why there isn't any bread/potatoes/rice/pasta in my meal plan.

Thanks for your reply
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    SizeTenByTeatime Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A good healthy diet and plenty of exercise at your weight seems doable. Maybe see if you can fit in some long walks to burn off a few more calories? Make sure you eat enough to give you the energy for the exercise though!
  • Sued0nim
    Options

even for the morbidly obese over 3.3lbs a week can lead to some pretty unpleasant side effects such as gallstones etc

over time try to make it a little more realistic

I'd still advise taking only 75% of your elliptical calorie count - or judge by your actual weight loss over time (6-8 weeks)

I'm not sure what you mean by your body doesn't process carbs efficiently? But if it suits you to reduce them then that's how you hit your defecit - it's all good.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You're looking to lose a pound every other day. If you want that to be fat that is not going to happen unless you go to extremes which you shouldn't. If your goal is just "weight", go low carb, you might lose 5-10 pounds in water very fast, but that comes back once you stop with the low carb.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't get too hung up on a specific weight by a specific date. Give that date as a goal maybe to get to on x number of cals per day and exercise for x minutes x number of days a week. Then don't weigh until that February date and you're bound to be pleasantly surprised. If you set a stone as the target but only lose lb you'll feel like a failure even though 10lb is awesome.

My husband is about 20 stone and finds it a lot easier to lose more weight more quickly than me (I'm closer to 11stone) so we don't compare but think about it more as a percentage of starting weight. He'll cycle to and from work (about 8 miles each way) in addition to his rugby training and eat ridiculous amounts of chicken and eggs. Doesn't appeal to me!

Why not aim for half a stone which is more realistic but also a real achievement (you'd get a sticker in Weight Watchers!) and if you lose more it's a bonus.

Personally, I don't find that cereal keeps me full enough so prefer eggs (and tomatoes etc) or smoothies for breakfast.

Good luck with your weightloss journey long term though - every small achievement is a step in the right direction.

You mention carbs aren't for you but have carbs for breakfast.
  • Slimdownmb
    Options
    So dissapointed right now,
    There are carbs in veg - obviously i ment unhealthy starchy processed carbs.

How about i don't bother at all. I wouldn't set myself this goal if i think think i could achieve it, keep it off and do it in a safe and enjoyable way.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

How about i don't bother at all. I wouldn't set myself this goal if i think think i could achieve it, keep it off and do it in a safe and enjoyable way.

I fail to see how a deficit of 2000 kcal every day is in any way enjoyable or safe.
  • Slimdownmb
    Options

I fail to see how a deficit of 2000 kcal every day is in any way enjoyable or safe.

So are you suggesting i eat 2000 calories every single day?
    If so - why am i on mfp, since even they are suggesting 1580...
    I'm more interested in the stuff i put in my body is clean and healthy, reducing carbs and sugar, increasing exercise and water intake. There is nothing wrong with it i've been doing this for the past 6 weeks - the only difference in what i want to do now is up my exercise and drop my calories slightly for 3 and half weeks.

Everyone here is so quick to criticize. All i was looking for was some hints and tips and everyones just made me feel *kitten* about it. So cheers guys thanks for the support.
  • GaryHarbisher
    GaryHarbisher Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The thing I found that really kick starts my weight loss is HIIT exercise, try spin class as an entry point. Your diet needs no changing, you're getting your calories from good clean sources. although I would try increasing your calories slowly. Add 50 calories a week so that your metabolism get used to it, then when you reach say 1600 a day you can cut again and rebuild your calories. Think it's called reverse dieting that conserves your metabolism. After all thats only an orange between meals.

What you will eventually find later down the line is that you'll plateau, and then you have nowhere to go, can't cut further or exercise more on your current regime. This is a marathon not a sprint. Your goal is attainable but not sustainable.

Overall you are on the right lines, and I have confidence you'll make it, good luck.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    How about i don't bother at all. .

uuggghhhh

• sgmfpac
    sgmfpac Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't give up Slimdownmb! Maybe just listen to what is realistic and see what happens by end of Jan and be ready to set another, perhaps overlapping target. Keep up the healthy veg and proteins. maybe try eggs for breakfast too to fill you up for the day. I'm aiming for 20lbs by Easter - a little more forgiving that your goal, but will need to keep focused too. Loosing is possible - lets just not trip ourselves up trying too hard.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I'm more interested in the stuff i put in my body is clean and healthy, reducing carbs and sugar, increasing exercise and water intake. There is nothing wrong with it i've been doing this for the past 6 weeks - the only difference in what i want to do now is up my exercise and drop my calories slightly for 3 and half weeks.

Everyone here is so quick to criticize. All i was looking for was some hints and tips and everyones just made me feel *kitten* about it. So cheers guys thanks for the support.

Well I think that's a little unfair if I'm honest

Nobody is making you feel *kitten* about it

We are trying to let you know what the score is - that's supportive

There are health concerns, and body composition concerns with dropping weight too fast

What hints and tips do you want? Stick to your calorie defecit and you will lose weight

add in cardio exercise and you will increase the calories you can eat
    add in progressive resistance work and you will improve your body composition
    - I lift heavy things and put them down, it's what makes my body tight and taut

Look if you don't want to eat carbs, that's fine - low carb is certainly a way to acheive a defecit

starchy carbs are not unhealthy
    processed food is not inherently unhealthy

an individual food is not inherently unhealthy - a diet can be though

hit your protein and fats goals
    (set your protein at 0.64g per lb bodyweight and fats at 0.35g per lb bodyweight as a MINIMUM guideline)

eat a wide range of colourful vegetables, fruit, dairy, lean meats

eat foods you love

eat carbs as it suits you to please your palate and fuel your body for exercise .. or not if it suits you better

Batch cook at weekends so you always have food to grab
    - check out www.skinnytaste.com for some great recipes

Log everything by weight (digital scales)
    Double check every calorie count with other sites and packs

if you get to the end of the day and are starving, check out your food diary .. where could you have made better choices? do that the next day .. and the next
  • clockworksailing
    clockworksailing Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink, just set yourself a calorie & exercise goal and keep tracking this program until your set date. You'll see your results when you get there, I don't think you'll lose that much but you'll be in much better shape than today. (Last tip: Never take your elliptical machine's calorie calculator seriously.)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Don't give up. People are just trying to get you to see that you don't have to eat that little to succeed.

Maybe eat the 1300 in the way you have been and then add a treat at the end of the night. I like a Mars ice-cream bar, under 150 calories and that way you don't feel like you are "Dieting" so you can keep it up for longer.

Instead of setting the end goal maybe set yourself smaller goals and ways to celebrate. Like after 15lbs I'll get my nails done etc.

Taking the pressure of a deadline away can make this more achievable long term. A lot of people quit if they miss the deadline they set themselves even if overall they have been losing weight.

Good luck on your journey :)