1 stone to loose by Feb the 1st.

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The thing I found that really kick starts my weight loss is HIIT exercise, try spin class as an entry point. Your diet needs no changing, you're getting your calories from good clean sources. although I would try increasing your calories slowly. Add 50 calories a week so that your metabolism get used to it, then when you reach say 1600 a day you can cut again and rebuild your calories. Think it's called reverse dieting that conserves your metabolism. After all thats only an orange between meals.

What you will eventually find later down the line is that you'll plateau, and then you have nowhere to go, can't cut further or exercise more on your current regime. This is a marathon not a sprint. Your goal is attainable but not sustainable.

Overall you are on the right lines, and I have confidence you'll make it, good luck.

And a whole heap of nope to the bits I've highlighted

HIIT is great - doesn't have magical calorie burning properties

clean eating - immaterial to weight loss, not even material to hitting nutritional guidelines to be honest, just a way of eating

metabolism doesn't change like that - it's playing with water weight - if you suddenly increase your calories, and by extension carbs / sodium, your water weight fluctuates - if you know it's water weight you can ride it out for the 2 - 3 weeks you need to until it stabilises again

Reverse dieting is not anything that conserves metabolism

that is not how the metabolism works - best to think that it just is

plateaus are not compulsory

It is however a marathon and not a sprint
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What weekly rate of loss did you put in your MFP settings for a 1580 calorie per day goal?
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    2lbs
    What weekly rate of loss did you put in your MFP settings for a 1580 calorie per day goal?

2lbs - its the most u can do ...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Slimdownmb wrote: »
    So dissapointed right now,
    There are carbs in veg - obviously i ment unhealthy starchy processed carbs.

How about i don't bother at all. I wouldn't set myself this goal if i think think i could achieve it, keep it off and do it in a safe and enjoyable way.

I fail to see how a deficit of 2000 kcal every day is in any way enjoyable or safe.

So are you suggesting i eat 2000 calories every single day?
    If so - why am i on mfp, since even they are suggesting 1580...
    I'm more interested in the stuff i put in my body is clean and healthy, reducing carbs and sugar, increasing exercise and water intake. There is nothing wrong with it i've been doing this for the past 6 weeks - the only difference in what i want to do now is up my exercise and drop my calories slightly for 3 and half weeks.

Everyone here is so quick to criticize. All i was looking for was some hints and tips and everyones just made me feel *kitten* about it. So cheers guys thanks for the support.

Don't give up. People are just trying to get you to see that you don't have to eat that little to succeed.

Maybe eat the 1300 in the way you have been and then add a treat at the end of the night. I like a Mars ice-cream bar, under 150 calories and that way you don't feel like you are "Dieting" so you can keep it up for longer.

Instead of setting the end goal maybe set yourself smaller goals and ways to celebrate. Like after 15lbs I'll get my nails done etc.

Taking the pressure of a deadline away can make this more achievable long term. A lot of people quit if they miss the deadline they set themselves even if overall they have been losing weight.

Good luck on your journey :)

Snickers ice cream is 179 calories .. so worth the extra 29 @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld :bigsmile:
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options

How about i don't bother at all. I wouldn't set myself this goal if i think think i could achieve it, keep it off and do it in a safe and enjoyable way.

I fail to see how a deficit of 2000 kcal every day is in any way enjoyable or safe.

I'm more interested in the stuff i put in my body is clean and healthy, reducing carbs and sugar, increasing exercise and water intake. There is nothing wrong with it i've been doing this for the past 6 weeks - the only difference in what i want to do now is up my exercise and drop my calories slightly for 3 and half weeks.

Everyone here is so quick to criticize. All i was looking for was some hints and tips and everyones just made me feel *kitten* about it. So cheers guys thanks for the support.

Hey,

Don't get stressed or disheartened, people that have been through it are just trying to point out that losing a stone in a month is maybe a bit too high a goal is all. You'd probably feel awful if you do manage it as weight loss at that speed is probably going to take a fair bit of muscle with it as well as fat.
    This thread is a pretty good read on losing fat in healthy and sustainable fashion and as it points out, at your current weight 1.4-2.8 lbs per week is a realistic expectation, I'd imagine you might see 2.8 to start with but will slow down after the first week or two of water weight loss. Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but this is how it happened for me, fat is a stubborn substance and takes a marathon to shift it rather than a sprint. :smile:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1343719/get-rich-quick/p1

I don't think people are trying to hurt you or make you feel like crap. We want to help. Many of us have been I'm the place where we wanted to do ANYTHING to change NOW. and many have realized that what we though was realistic and healthy was not. In many cases it's the opposite.

I think it's awesome that you have a goal and determination to succeed. That is critical. We're just saying... Please look to sustainability and health too.

Please check out the links in here. One talks about wanting to see results NOW and the other is (bottom one) a bit about how mfp calcs deficits.

My recommendation... If mfp recommends 1580... That at the very least... Hit THAT target.

I know you can lose this weight! I just agree with the others... It's wiser, more sustainable, and more healthy to do it safely.

*hugs*

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working/p1
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Poor girl,
    I lost 15lbs in two months which I thought was fast, my other half lost 22lbs. So I totally believe you can do anything you put your mind too.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Don't give up. People are just trying to get you to see that you don't have to eat that little to succeed.

Maybe eat the 1300 in the way you have been and then add a treat at the end of the night. I like a Mars ice-cream bar, under 150 calories and that way you don't feel like you are "Dieting" so you can keep it up for longer.

Instead of setting the end goal maybe set yourself smaller goals and ways to celebrate. Like after 15lbs I'll get my nails done etc.

Taking the pressure of a deadline away can make this more achievable long term. A lot of people quit if they miss the deadline they set themselves even if overall they have been losing weight.

Good luck on your journey :)

Snickers ice cream is 179 calories .. so worth the extra 29 @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld :bigsmile:

Ha ha so true! :love:

I'm missing my nightly ice cream. I've got that many Christmas cakes/pies etc left I'm having to build them in every night to use them up! Might need to donate them to the food bank and go buy more ice cream.
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of comments on the forums anymore but have decided to chip in.

I have done it before, lost over 100 pounds, and am back here as slipped back into old habits. When you are big the weight does seem to come off in greater numbers every week, but don't be completely focused on numbers as you feel terrible if for one week nothing happens. I have seen myself actually gain a pound one week and lose six the next.

Make sure you are 100% honest with your food logging. If you make a coffee and when in the fridge snap off a bit of cheese, weigh it and add it. You will only cheat yourself otherwise. Walking is brilliant when you first start off, and as everyone else here says, don't abandon strength training as it will be your friend as you lose and make things easier as well as more toned.

I have some old blogs on here which I wrote when I first started out, detailing the highs and lows and pain you will go through.....I have been told in the past that they are helpful as getting advice from someone who looks like a gym lover on here can sometimes feel hard, and sometimes it's nice to have someone your size/weight to relate to.

Anyhow, good luck @Slimdownmb......goals are good but try and look a bit further ahead if you can face it right now
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Poor girl,
    I lost 15lbs in two months which I thought was fast, my other half lost 22lbs. So I totally believe you can do anything you put your mind too.

the question is whether she should
  • bethclabburn
    Options
    Poor girl,

Why shouldn't she?
  • GaryHarbisher
    GaryHarbisher Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

clean eating - immaterial to weight loss, not even material to hitting nutritional guidelines to be honest, just a way of eating

metabolism doesn't change like that - it's playing with water weight - if you suddenly increase your calories, and by extension carbs / sodium, your water weight fluctuates - if you know it's water weight you can ride it out for the 2 - 3 weeks you need to until it stabilises again

Never said HIIT had magical properties, just that it kick started mine as it was something different to me, got me motivated to push myself and try new things. Clean eating is not immaterial, a varied range of healthy food keeps your macro nutrients more stable. 1300 calories from lean meat and veg is better then 1300 from potatoes. Not all calories are equal, even MFPs predictions reflect that fact.

Metabolism does slow down with rapid weight loss due to the loss in LBM, increasing calories will help conserve LBM with such a drastic calorie deficit.

Plateaus are not compulsary, but they are common, these forums show that.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    2lbs

Yet you want to lose at twice that rate. What you are saying you want to do requires a deficit of 2000 calories below tour maintenance level ... an intake of under 600 calories per day. That is why people are noting your goal is unrealistic ... it is supporting HEALTHY weight loss, not foolish and unsafe approaches.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Never said HIIT had magical properties, just that it kick started mine as it was something different to me, got me motivated to push myself and try new things. Clean eating is not immaterial, a varied range of healthy food keeps your macro nutrients more stable. 1300 calories from lean meat and veg is better then 1300 from potatoes. Not all calories are equal, even MFPs predictions reflect that fact.

Metabolism does slow down with rapid weight loss due to the loss in LBM, increasing calories will help conserve LBM with such a drastic calorie deficit.

Plateaus are not compulsary, but they are common, these forums show that.

'kick start' emotionally .. fine

clean eating is immaterial .. depends how you define it I suppose. I hit my macro and micro nutrients and don't believe I eat 'clean' in any great definition of the word

1300 calories from a range of foods will always be far superior than 1300 calories from single food stuff .. that's a strawman argument

all calories are equal .. the nutritional content of foods are not .. but calories are a unit of measurement

Metabolism does not slow down to such a great extent nor does it speed up.
    adding muscle can increase your metabolic rate by 4 calories per day per lb

plateaus can be part of weight loss but are rare and are different from stalls which are common
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Poor girl,

Why shouldn't she?

that's been answered already in this thread

various health issues, skin issues, hair issues, increased loss of LBM, more likely to crash and burn .. pick your reason and go research it .. there is a reason that medics advise 1 - 2lb per week as a healthy rate of loss and that higher rates should be under the supervision of a medical professional and used in the short term only
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am actually following the calorie intake and foods from the plan my doctor gave me, her words were "do this for the rest of your life" - BAD ADVICE, even i know it isn't healthy to do this for large periods of time.
    4 weeks is short term. - i wont be doing this for the rest of my life as its not sustainable. Obviously?
  • bethclabburn
    Options
    Poor girl,

Why shouldn't she?

that's been answered already in this thread

various health issues, skin issues, hair issues, increased loss of LBM, more likely to crash and burn .. pick your reason and go research it .. there is a reason that medics advise 1 - 2lb per week as a healthy rate of loss and that higher rates should be under the supervision of a medical professional and used in the short term only

Mm k
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I am actually following the calorie intake and foods from the plan my doctor gave me, her words were "do this for the rest of your life" - BAD ADVICE, even i know it isn't healthy to do this for large periods of time.
    4 weeks is short term. - i wont be doing this for the rest of my life as its not sustainable. Obviously?

Look

If I can do it, any bugger can do it

:bigsmile:
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    2lbs

Yet you want to lose at twice that rate. What you are saying you want to do requires a deficit of 2000 calories below tour maintenance level ... an intake of under 600 calories per day. That is why people are noting your goal is unrealistic ... it is supporting HEALTHY weight loss, not foolish and unsafe approaches.

I just felt the bold part needed repeating... What more anyone can say is beyond me...
  • brianpperkins
    Options

How many calories per day did your doctor tell you to eat?