365 days i joined MFP here is my story and photos

Cush_la
Cush_la Posts: 111 Member
Hi I am Budget and I am from New Zealand! and here is my one year anniversary story!
This is my 1st thread and o0o man am I nervous about posting

One year ago! I was googling some info on watermelon and stumbled on MFP in my google search .. it gave me the info I was looking for and I thought mmmm might join this site, it might come in handy for more info, I joined added my weight and my goal weight with a huge "YEAH right" as if this can ever happen moment,

I had had not one moment of thinking I wanted to diet, I had no goals, I was very overweight and I loved food and drank way to much wine and I was Ok with it, eating and drinking all I wanted, it was worth being overweight for I felt .. even though I really was miserable

365 days ago I said to myself well I will try ONE day on MFP and log what I eat and see if I can eat to the RDA cals!

I did it! I completed my day and it told me if I ate this way for 5 weeks I would be 4 kilos lighter I was like WOW no way! This has to be wrong! I could never lose 4 kilos and still eat.

I thought ok! I will try this for a few more days, then I was hooked!!!

By week 3 it hit me, just how slow and long this was going to be! That there was NO magic weight loss method, I had done 3 LONG weeks and I was still not skinny was my way of thinking, no one could even tell I had lost weight!

Oh how hard those hungry days were, how impossible it seemed to lose the amount of weight I had to lose, it felt it would take a lifetime if not longer, a lifetime of feeling miserable! Was this the life I wanted I asked myself over and over? Wasn't it easier to be overweight and not have all these thoughts and hard work that was showing no results

I felt so sorry for myself, even though I did this to myself I felt it was so unfair it happened to me, and how unfair it was I had to do "this" to lose the weight I had put on, I was 100% sure it would not work! I was going to be overweight for life, even if I tried, nothing was going to work!!! But hey I thought may as well at least try so I can say I did it!

Being overweight was HARD, dieting was HARD .. I told myself I had to choose what "hard" I wanted! I chose to carry on even though I was 100% sure I would never get there.

During hard times I would log into MFP and lurk on the success boards for hours seeing others who had done this! I saw everyone who had a success story, as so very lucky, almost like they had no idea just how hard it was for me! And easy it was for them, and that it would never happen to me! I was even jealous of them, it was like magic happened for them, not clicking once they had done so much hard work to get there. My brain was no negative and always telling me negative stuff.

I knew all that stopped me was my negative thinking and my will power. I have to find a way to be positive and strong! And if I couldn't I had to ignore this inner negative thinking!

Looking at others before and after pics and weight loss quote pictures helped me in those moments. Even if my negative mind tried to tell me it still would never work for me

I used the picture quote of "a year from now you will wish you had started today" It was my PC wallpaper, My phones wallpaper and FB cover pic! It reminded me every day for many months that maybe in a year's time, JUST MAYBE I would look back and say YES why yes I am so very glad I started that day!

it is now 365 days later and over 52 kilos lost ( over 114 pounds) I still don't know if my brain has realized what I have done! I have about 5 kilos left to my goal and being a very healthy BMI weight, yet my mind still tells me I will not be able to do it, but I have learned to not listen to it and just do one day at a time and wait and see what scales say

I thought being over 50 years old, would mean it would be harder to lose weight, that's what everyone told me! NOT at all, once I got the right amount of cals for me and my age, which I admit was at the lower end of RDA (as I am very inactive due to spinal issues) but once I found the right amount of cals for me, and once I weighed and measured all my food etc, the weight fell off, just as it did in my teens when I dieted, my older age made no difference!

I wish I found this site many years ago

Thanks so much to everyone on MFP who has cheered me on and been on this ride me, the next 365 days are going to be fun! In this time I hope to reach my goal weight, I hope to help others reach their goals, I will need to learn maintenance, I admit I look forward to the extra cals each day I will get, but I am so scared of falling back into eating the way I did pre MFP. I think learning maintenance will be just as hard if not harder than diet mode!

To my shock and horror I have not had wine or any booze in 365 days and I never saw that ever happening! I was a wino! and I was not a nice person on the wine I never dreamed of stopping it! But I hated the thought of drinking my cals when I could eat them

I love now that I do not hide from a camera! That I do not die if someone uploads a pic of me to FB, that I do not carefully crop my pics to hide my arms, shoulders, tum o0o whatever I could, so all you could see was just a face minus all my fat!

Now I upload a whole pic of me! I stand in the middle of a photo not wanting to kick and punch the person taking pics and making them swear to never upload them!!! Little things like this has made THE HARD side of this so amazing I love it!

anyways thanks MFP ! and thanks to every one of my friends

I am always looking for new friends!!! so Please feel free to add me !!!!!

Thanks <3

Photos are of

me before and after

a wedding pic 8 years ago and now

The quote I just love

my Parents and me last year and this year

My hubby and me last year and this year

bq7jtfggz6ui.jpg

mqac5b6gozoy.jpg

v4v7nbm2oqvj.jpg

394mvmzraikv.jpg

emy5t7cm9gz0.jpg

Replies

• Wonderful!!! You look so happy :)
  • pegansarah
    pegansarah Posts: 1 Member
    Congratulations!! You look incredible!
  • Imomw2016
    Imomw2016 Posts: 93 Member
    This posting was by far the most motivating I have read. Congratulations on your success and thank you for your honesty. Look forward to reading your next post in 365 days on the maintenance side of healthy weight objectives.
  • hmthomas317
    hmthomas317 Posts: 42 Member
    Congratulations!! You look amazing and all that hard work paid off. I look forward to my year from now moment!!
  • thedray32
    thedray32 Posts: 2 Member
    You are amazing Budget, you should be so so proud of yourself you look absolutely fantastic, all that hard work has paid off, i know it wasn't easy for you, and you had hard times but look what you have done!! You are such a inspiration, YOU ROCK GIRL!! Have a fantastic day hold your head high and feed damn proud of yourself ....HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! :)<3
  • 66kgs2013
    66kgs2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Wow you look fantastic Budget. Thanks for an inspiring read, just what I needed today - could totally relate to your post! :smile:
  • DaisiesandViolets
    DaisiesandViolets Posts: 58 Member
    Beautiful! I started to tear up when I read this paragraph: "I felt so sorry for myself, even though I did this to myself I felt it was so unfair it happened to me, and how unfair it was I had to do "this" to lose the weight I had put on, I was 100% sure it would not work! I was going to be overweight for life, even if I tried, nothing was going to work!!! But hey I thought may as well at least try so I can say I did it!" I swear there is a little devil in my ear whispering the same words. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • volsen14
    volsen14 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for sharing! I'm on day three and planned to follow for 365 days or until I lose the weight I want. 114 pounds in a years is wow! Slow and steady wins. I just found these success stories and they are so inspiring. I love the quote too.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Hi, I can relate to everything that you wrote. I look at my ultra slim sister and think ' why me'?? why??? Because she eats 2 sandwiches, I eat 4!! That's why.. Because she loves excercise and I hate it, that's why.. But I'm me!! 42 years old and need to stop thinking that life is unfair and take responsibility for me!! I'm on day 9 and thinking that if it works for everyone else it will work for me. Can't wait to see the scales start to shift. Budget, you are a true inspiration, you look beautiful and thank you for posting such honest and motivating words X
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Awesome dedication! Very well done for not giving up....you look great.
  • Amazing!
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Wow! What a great transformation, and a great job telling how you got there! You look just fantastic, and not even 50. Very inspirational!
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    wonderful job! you look so beautiful and happy!
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Great job!!!
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    AAAHH!! Congrats!! You look amazing and your smile definitely looks so real and happy!! Absolutely fantastic!
  • L412
    L412 Posts: 55 Member
    wow! what a great and inspirational story. Thanks for sharing.
  • MrsPamda
    MrsPamda Posts: 5 Member
    Congratulations! Your hard word shows through the pictures, and your post. You should be incredibly proud! What an amazing story to read. :)
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    you look great!!! Congrats!!!!
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Thank you so much Budget for sharing your story. It's truly inspirational, especially for us "older" ladies. Alot of what you wrote I have myself thought, you but it into words so well.

I am so impressed that you lost 114 lbs. in 1 year with physical limitations! WOW!!! That is some dedication on your part!

It you're interested, here is my story:

I had been overweight for the past 2 decades. I lost 45 lbs. and it took me 14 months. I am 59 years old and reached my initial goal December 11, 2015 and lost a couple more since then. I never, ever, ever thought I would lose even 20 lbs. when I set my goal at 43 lbs. and size 10 jeans.

No one was more surprised than I when my clothes began to get baggy and I fit into a smaller size. I put a full length mirror in my bedroom for the first time since I was 35 and really, really liked what I saw. I couldn't believe that it was me in the reflection!! I also let people take pictures of me for the first time because I was not embarassed, but proud of what I had accomplished. Those size 10 jeans I so wanted to wear...I can't because they are too BIG!! I now wear a size 6-8. I was squeezing into size 14 when I began.

I could stay where I am and be perfectly happy. I'm looking pretty fine for my age. But I'm curious to see what I can do next and maintenance is a bit scarry. So I'll continue to do what I've done and see where it gets me. I know I have a little leeway and that's reassuring.

So, hang in there, take it one step at a time, add good habits slowly, don't beat yourself if you backslide. Celebrate your accomplishments and be proud of what you are doing for yourself. There is no right or wrong rate of loss, as long as you are losing. Budget did it at a rate of over 2 lbs/week, I did it at 3/4 lbs/week, but we both did it and I'm sure I can speak for her, we're awfully glad we did!!

Good Luck!!
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    so lovely! Thank you for sharing <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!