How Negative are you??? I am aiming for -500

Options
I have goal at 1200/ day but with exercise it is between -500 to -1000. What about all of you? My goal is to lose 35 pounds!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you are asking. Could you please explain further?
  • victorsparade
    victorsparade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think she's asking about negative calories.

It's dangerous to think this way... I'm around -600, meaning that MFP allows for ~1400 rather than the original 2000/day. But if I focus too much on how many calories I'm burning, I find I stress myself out trying to make the numbers match up.

Better, I think, to eat what feels right (and yes, sometimes that means a piece of chocolate) and try for moderation.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about your Net Calories being at 500-1000? How long do you plan on being upright and coherent?
  • victorsparade
    victorsparade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OP can't possibly be talking about net calories... She'd be dead by now. 0_o
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    So you're talking about trying to have a negative net at the end of the day? Like eating 1200 and (supposedly) burning 1700 to net -500? That's just silly.

My calorie goal is 1800 per day. I do my workout and eat 1800 most days. I'm not using an MFP goal right now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I also don't know what you mean, but I'm 100% positive you don't understand how MFP works and you're doing it wrong.

that's pretty much what I'm thinking.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I also don't know what you mean, but I'm 100% positive you don't understand how MFP works and you're doing it wrong.

^This
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP, MFP automatically gives you a deficit; when you workout, you should eat back at least part of the calories. That said, I don't think you're burning over 900 calories jogging for 76 minutes. Eat back half the calories and enjoy the extra nutrition and fuel more runs.

If you're still confused, this is a good read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Do you mean your NET calories?

They should never be negative. Ever.
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    On a cut, I aim for -500 under my TDEE through what I eat, then burn whatever else through my workouts. I personally can't eat less than -500 under my TDEE without it affecting my strength, mood and libido. On a bulk I'm always +500 to +1000.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You are regularly eating 1,000 calories while burning 800 calories. This is unhealthy and against the Terms of Service. You should be eating the amount of calories MFP gave you as well as some of your exercise calories.

The risks of under eating, which is what you are doing, are:
    • Muscle loss
    • Poor circulation
    • Irregular heartbeat
    • Infertility
    • Irregular menstruation
    • Risk of bone fracture
    • Osteoporosis
    • Slowing of digestion
    • Dry hair and skin
    • Reduced BMR
    • High probability of gaining the weight back
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    You're MFP'ing wrong.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm losing a pound a week netting 1440 positive calories. I'm only hungry right before meals, and I have lots of energy and am not cranky.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

So much this.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You are regularly eating 1,000 calories while burning 800 calories. This is unhealthy and against the Terms of Service. You should be eating the amount of calories MFP gave you as well as some of your exercise calories.

The risks of under eating, which is what you are doing, are:
    • Muscle loss
    • Poor circulation
    • Irregular heartbeat
    • Infertility
    • Irregular menstruation
    • Risk of bone fracture
    • Osteoporosis
    • Slowing of digestion
    • Dry hair and skin
    • Reduced BMR
    • High probability of gaining the weight back

And more:
    Low blood pressure
    arrhythmia
    Depression
    Panic attacks
    Eating disorders
    Fainting
    Death

Just to name a few
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, you really don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. You will feel so much better and be able to sustain this for the long run if you have a manageable meal plan. And eating 1,000 and burning 800 calories is not sustainable, manageable, or healthy. If you're going to be burning 800 calories daily, you need to be eating at the very least 1800 calories.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Do you mean your NET calories?

They should never be negative. Ever.

Well, if you were doing something wierd and setting MFP to maintain and then eating NET 500 kcal deficit that wouldn't be a problem.

Doesn't seem to be the issue with the OP, she has numerous days around low 1000 kcal food intake, often with exercise burn alone at 700+ kcal. Doesn't sound healthy...or fun.
    auddii wrote: »
    That said, I don't think you're burning over 900 calories jogging for 76 minutes.

That's perfectly believable. If you're in the mid 150s lb range and going along at 9:00 pace most estimate will put you around 800-1000 kcal for 75 mins.

In my case I can do as much as 1500 kcal in 75 minutes if I'm really hammering away on the bike.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I assumed she meant daily deficit? Mine varies - the account is set to -250 for a 0.5 lb per week loss