Is it safe to run outside when it's dark?

Options
noobletmcnugget
noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 20 years old and I want to start running, and early in the morning is the most convenient time for me. I live in a relatively safe area, and would be sticking to roads with street lights. The idea of running alone in the dark makes me feel a little bit nervous though. I'm guessing listening to music would probably be a bit of a no-no?

Thoughts? :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What do you think? Trust your instincts. I can't imagine running without headphones (well I can't imagine running in general), but I suppose it would be a bit safer. I live in NYC and would not be afraid to run alone in the dark...I just avoid certain streets or neighborhoods.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am not comfortable doing that but that's just me.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Depends. I run all the time in the dark. I don't use headphones because I don't like them anyway, but I also like to be able to hear what's around me. Situational awareness is king. I'm far more worried about cars not seeing me than anything else. So I have blinky lights and reflective gear.

If I'm trail running I use a bright headlamp.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    depends where you live. I could run at 3am in my neighbourhood and be pretty sure that nothing would happen apart from a dog barking at me - if that.

I personally wouldn't listen to music though, even though I know my neighbourhood is safe.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it . I had a guy come up to me once and started running with me and he didn't seem right, running in shorts with a big scarf on and it was freezing out. He stopped when I started down a busy road. On my way back a lady stopped me and told me there was someone in the bushes flashing others, I am sure this was the guy!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 years old and I want to start running, and early in the morning is the most convenient time for me. I live in a relatively safe area, and would be sticking to roads with street lights. The idea of running alone in the dark makes me feel a little bit nervous though. I'm guessing listening to music would probably be a bit of a no-no?

If there's a chance you'll encounter a car, it doesn't matter what time of the day it is, listening to music is a big no-no. You need to pay attention to the roads.

How do you feel walking around your neighborhood? Personally, there were a lot of stray dogs in my area that would bother me. I stopped running outside after having to use pepper spray on four different dogs, on four different occasions.

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I run fairly regularly in the dark and I am more afraid of tripping or of cars not seeing me than I am of people. I use reflective gear and blinking lights to increase my visibility. I also carry a flashlight to light up areas that aren't lit well by streetlamps. I do listen to music, but I keep the volume low enough so that I can hear what's going on around me.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I'd let someone know you are going out for a run before you do. It seems a little tedious, but safe > sorry.
  • JJLynn_
    JJLynn_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm from Chicago and I go on runs at night.. but I don't have headphones in and have mace with me at all times lol! It really depends on your area. I would just be very cautious and let people know before.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Get a reflective vest and/or a flashlight of some kind (you can get a handheld one or a head lamp).

The vest is REALLY important - helps cars see you. People are very invisible in the dark. With all the gear I have on, you can see me coming from a long ways away, lol. Reflective vest, flashlight, two blinking lights on the back, and my jacket is quite vibrant.

If you feel safe in your neighborhood, go for it. I recommend bringing your phone with you if you weren't planning to and, if you wish to listen to music, get some sport earbuds/headphones that still let in outside noise. I picked up a pair of Yurbuds recently and I can hear my music as well as hold a conversation with a running partner/hear vehicles coming.

Oh, and seconding telling someone you're going out - and, if you have a route planned, pass that on to that person. My boyfriend is my go-to & I'll let him know what route I'm doing and how long I expect to be out. I try to text him once I've finished the run - so he knows I'm all good :)

~Lyssa
  • Aquabird
    Aquabird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I run late at night after my daughter is asleep; but nothing ever happens in my neighborhood and the neighbors are super nosy, so I feel safe. The biggest risk around here is getting skunked. There isn't much traffic around, but I use earbuds with one bud in and one hanging so that I can hear what's happening around me. I also use an app called Glympse which sends a map to my husband so he can track me on GPS--but that's more in case something happens (I'm a klutz) and I can't make it home. I think if the neighborhood is safe and you plan ahead for conditions, there's nothing wrong with running at night. I honestly prefer it.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Nope. Nope. Nope. Crazy people (even if they don't want to hurt me, they will make me a jumpy mess)! Tripping hazards! Cars! Skunks!!!!!

Don't do it.

(voice of experience)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    A grue might eat you.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I would say use your best judgement and take as many precautions as possible ( bring a flash light, wear reflective gear, have a cell phone on you at all times and stay aware of your surroundings) if something feels wrong, it probably is .
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Only if you have a gun. I assume in another year you can get a concealed carry permit?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Only if you have a gun. I assume in another year you can get a concealed carry permit?

Why not pepper spray?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

When my husky was alive, I felt safe walking in the dark with him.

dmzqkj4ys9ph.jpg
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Why not pepper spray?

Stun gun.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    A grue might eat you.

Blorple the cube
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I used to jog at 4:00 am, now i do it closer to midnight. I don't feel unsafe, but I'm quite disconnected from my surroundings, general.

My female friends have talked about feeling unsafe late at night being out on the streets. Other contributors to this thread have offered advice I'd pass along to my female friends who would be considering exercising alone outdoors at night.