Is it safe to run outside when it's dark?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Only if you have a gun. I assume in another year you can get a concealed carry permit?

Why not pepper spray?

That's actually a great idea until she gets old enough to carry some real firepower.

But why not something non-lethal like pepper spray?
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    depends on the neighborhood. where my boyfriend lives is super safe but it's REALLY dark since they don't like streetlights and there is a major lack of sidewalks! There is a very real risk of getting either hit by a car. Also, I've actually run into a full grown buck on a running trail.

where I live is more well lit and there are more sidewalks and more people generally outside since it's closer to the city so it's better for running at night.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I always run early in the morning when its dark. It is a little nervy at first, but I have grown to love it. But I live out in the country where I am more worried about stray, quasi-feral dogs, coyotes and the occasional bear. I know they are more afraid of me , but I still run with a bit of an edge... and definitely no headphones...
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What do you think? Trust your instincts. I can't imagine running without headphones (well I can't imagine running in general), but I suppose it would be a bit safer. I live in NYC and would not be afraid to run alone in the dark...I just avoid certain streets or neighborhoods.

When I worked nights, I would run in Brooklyn at 3am. Same thing, I just had to avoid certain streets or areas.

An even bigger concern was vehicles. Firstly, being seen: so I always wore bright colored clothing and even then have almost been struck several times (in Brooklyn you have a lot of people who should not be on the road at night, either inebriated or elderly with poor eyesight as it is... the latter the one I had the most incidents with).

Then, there is number 2: at least in NYC (and likely it is not alone), there seems to be lawlessness on the streets at night. I can count on three fingers over the course of two years the number of vehicles that did stop for red lights or stop signs as I was crossing a street. Left turn on red, not even slowing down, etc etc. Every time I came to a crossing and I saw a vehicle approaching I would treat it as if the vehicle was not going to stop, even if I had the signal... because likely they were not going to.

Like one other stated, I have started others as running, but no incidents, however it is a good thing to be aware of that you may not want to get too close to another in case they mistake your intentions.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    Options
    I wouldn't - I used to, until I tripped on an uneven sidewalk, which I would have avoided in the daylight, and I busted up my knee.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    ALWAYS have your phone, ALWAYS carry pepper spray, and use this app on your phone...

https://roadid.com/ecrumbs

This is what my little sister does no matter what time of day she runs.
  • changingL1sa
    changingL1sa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do, but I'm only comfortable because I have lights and reflective gear and I take my dog (he's a tough looking boxer) with me. I don't think I'd do it without him.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It probably depends on where you live. I live in a high crime city, and I used to run in the early morning/ early evening hours. I wore lit gear and stuck to paths with lots of pedestrians and a park with lots of other runners in a "safe" area. I felt okay about it until a guy groped me on a busy street. It was only about 5pm, and he probably would have done it in the daylight too, but I stopped running a couple months after that. I'd really like to start back, but I think I'm going to stick to daylight hours and/or group run situations. It scared the crap out of me. There were people all around us and nobody stopped to see if I was okay.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I live in a safe neighborhood... But I still run with pepper spray. I run early mornings at 5: a.m. and there are some street lights that are out..

I also use my phone (wear it on my arm) for music on my long runs, I always have my phone with me, got pepper spray and my legs... Now you got catch me...
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm female in my 20s and I run in the dark with headphones. I wear a high vis jacket for cars and sometimes a flashing ankle bracelet. Just use common sense, stick to main roads and don't go down any dodgy side ways or unlit alleys. Let someone know when to expect you back and carry id for wost case scenario x
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes. Run against traffic, so you can see who is approaching you. Wear something that makes you visible. I use a head lamp. I run with music, but I don't use headphones, I just let my phone play audibly. If you want to then I would only use one ear bud. I live on the 49th parallel so it gets dark around 4:00PM before the solstice. Everyone runs at night around here.

One piece of advice is if you see someone walking shout to them, so they hear you well in advance. Something like "Runner on your left". A guy almost decked me the other day because he heard me approach him running, and thought I was going attack him.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Only if you have a gun. I assume in another year you can get a concealed carry permit?

Why not pepper spray?

That's actually a great idea until she gets old enough to carry some real firepower.

But why not something non-lethal like pepper spray?

Because pepper spray isn't effective on everyone. 125grains of jacketed hollowpoint at 1450fps is.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As always, it depends on where you're running.

I often run at night. I run on a run/bike trail so only need to think about cars at the couple of places where I need to cross a road. I also don't worry about visibility because between the street lights and house lights I can a good distance away. The bicyclists all use lamps (traveling too fast for lower-light conditions) so I know they can see me. Plus, I do have the standard reflective gear.

My two concerns would be:

1) Injuring myself far from home - not many people out as late as I sometimes run. My nearest non-911 help would be a good 30min away (I live alone, no friends close by). I decided I could accept this.

2) Random whack-jobs. Based on stats for my area, it's highly unlikely there'd be a purposeful robber or rapist lurking on the trail I use. There's a trail that runs through downtown that seems to attract all of those problems. On the other hand, just this year there was a guy who had a mental breakdown, and killed two random people with an axe (a bicyclist and a walker, I think). It was on a trail connected to the one I use, ~8 miles north of where I run. This kind of thing I figure can happen anywhere at anytime. No reason to be more concerned about it while running than when shopping.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I often run at night. I run on a run/bike trail so only need to think about cars at the couple of places where I need to cross a road. I also don't worry about visibility because between the street lights and house lights I can a good distance away. The bicyclists all use lamps (traveling too fast for lower-light conditions) so I know they can see me. Plus, I do have the standard reflective gear.

1) Injuring myself far from home - not many people out as late as I sometimes run. My nearest non-911 help would be a good 30min away (I live alone, no friends close by). I decided I could accept this.

2) Random whack-jobs. Based on stats for my area, it's highly unlikely there'd be a purposeful robber or rapist lurking on the trail I use. There's a trail that runs through downtown that seems to attract all of those problems. On the other hand, just this year there was a guy who had a mental breakdown, and killed two random people with an axe (a bicyclist and a walker, I think). It was on a trail connected to the one I use, ~8 miles north of where I run. This kind of thing I figure can happen anywhere at anytime. No reason to be more concerned about it while running than when shopping.
    stealthq wrote: »

So......you're saying we should stop shopping too?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »

WTF. Carry a gun with you while you run? My god would that ever be obnoxious to worry about. Be almost as aggravating as wearing some sort of fuel belt while running...

Actually, my Kahr CW380 is so small and lightweight, I forget it's there, even while running.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I do. In fact, it's impossible to not run when it's dark right now (Sundown is 4:48PM). I run on sidewalks, so no worries for cars, really. I also listen to music, I just keep the volume down a bit. As for someone mugging me, I'm moving faster than they are, so it's doubtful they'd be a threat.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    When I was a runner, I lived in a very safe area, but was still very uneasy about running in the dark. Make sure you are visible, so wear a vest like someone else suggested, and don't wear headphones. Be aware of your surroundings. I always ran with pepper spray also, whether it was day or night.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I live in a really safe town and never really worried about going out in the mornings until there was an early morning rape of a woman running that terrified me back about 10 years. Now I think it's better to be in the gym if it's early morning or late at night.
  • FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just to throw my two cents in, if you do decide to do this I would change up your route. Don't do the same routine. There are crazy people everywhere who like to notice people's routines - not that that will happen where you are but I'm of the school of thought of "better to be safe than sorry". Also, if you feel like you are being followed, don't run home!

On a personal note, I wouldn't run alone but that's me. I don't think I could fend someone (or something) off if anything dangerous happened. Do you have a friend, neighbor, or anyone else that may be willing to run with you? Also carry your phone on you. I like the pepper spray idea, I really need to get one for my key chain. We just want you to be safe. :smile:
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's better to run in the dark in the morning than at night. (when I was a teenager I would go for a run before 5 am, my mom would say "well, the criminals are probably still sleeping, so you should be ok).
    But in all seriousness, you should always let someone know you're going for a run, how long it should take and what route you're taking. Carry pepper spray or whatever is legal. It might be a good idea to take different routes though.
    I go for a run at night in the dark all the time, but I'm running with my 110 lb German shepherd so I feel safe.

Overall trust your instincts.