Is it safe to run outside when it's dark?

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to have a dog to run with. and she's a barker with big teeth
    a few things to add
    i also say hi to everyone. 1) this lets them know that i saw them 2) god forbid something does happen, people will remember seeing me.

I also run with my phone's gps active
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Only if you have a gun. I assume in another year you can get a concealed carry permit?

WTF. Carry a gun with you while you run? My god would that ever be obnoxious to worry about. Be almost as aggravating as wearing some sort of fuel belt while running...

Just carry it in your hand and use it to add a little arm work to your run. Go with two guns for balance if you must.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Reflective gear, a headlamp, run facing traffic if there's no sidewalk, carry your phone & no headphones (no headphones for anyone running or riding outside......your ability to hear oncoming traffic could save your life) If you were my daughter I wouldn't discourage you from carry pepper spray too (even though where I live it would be more likely used on an aggressive goose)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Only if you have a gun. I assume in another year you can get a concealed carry permit?

Why not pepper spray?

I have considered carrying bear spray. I live in a rural city, and sometimes I run in areas where there are dangerous animals. I don't normally run trails in the dark, but we have had moose come through the city before. I'm always worried about spooking a moose when I'm on a trail. Those suckers can be mean as hell.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Why not pepper spray?

That's actually a great idea until she gets old enough to carry some real firepower.

But why not something non-lethal like pepper spray?

Because pepper spray isn't effective on everyone. 125grains of jacketed hollowpoint at 1450fps is.

Not if you get grabbed from behind. Ain't nobody got time to get out a gun, get off the safety, aim, and shoot in that scenario.

Honestly, the only reason I don't run in the dark is because whenever you hear about bodies being found it almost always says 'was discovered by a dog walker' or 'was discovered by a jogger'. I'd rather not have a run-in with a dead body (not that anyone has ever been murdered where I live, as it's a cute little English village). Though I wouldn't consider it during term-time when I'm at uni, just because the city I go to uni in has lots of chavs.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

That's actually a great idea until she gets old enough to carry some real firepower.

Because pepper spray isn't effective on everyone. 125grains of jacketed hollowpoint at 1450fps is.

Not if you get grabbed from behind. Ain't nobody got time to get out a gun, get off the safety, aim, and shoot in that scenario.

Honestly, the only reason I don't run in the dark is because whenever you hear about bodies being found it almost always says 'was discovered by a dog walker' or 'was discovered by a jogger'. I'd rather not have a run-in with a dead body (not that anyone has ever been murdered where I live, as it's a cute little English village). Though I wouldn't consider it during term-time when I'm at uni, just because the city I go to uni in has lots of chavs.

Then you're training is deficient. Aim? At that range there is no aiming. Safety?
    image_zps901d175d.png
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

Then you're training is deficient. Aim? At that range there is no aiming. Safety?
    image_zps901d175d.png

As somebody who actually *has* been grabbed from behind while running, I tend to agree with MarziPanda. I didn't even have time to think about what was happening. If the guy had intended to kidnap me or injure me, it would have already been to late. He "thankfully" just wanted to cop a feel.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Depends on where you live and what you're concerned about. I would say running in the average 'safe' residential neighborhood is okay. This is very different for women than guys so I assume you're not talking about safe from cars... Call your local police station and ask them about it. If they get a bunch of assault crimes from early morning runners than you probably want to avoid it.

Regarding cars, I recommend running into traffic so that you see the cars coming. People who run with their backs to traffic don't know if the car sees them.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

See my above comments about running with the firearms in your hand(s). You won't need any time at all to shoot at would-be attackers/small puppies/hipsters along your way. And who grabs a person running with two guns anyway?
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do, but I'm only comfortable because I have lights and reflective gear and I take my dog (he's a tough looking boxer) with me. I don't think I'd do it without him.

Thanks for the app. Installing to my phone right now.

I run in the dark, but I feel extremely safe in the area I run at, my fiance knows I'm out and generally how long a run takes me, and it is a residential area that primarily has residential traffic (the only reason to be in the area is because you live there. It's not a shortcut, doesn't go anywhere, and the like). I also check the news and track incidents. For example, I used to run early in the morning at my old apartment complex, but then people started getting robbed at it and nearby apartments, so I stopped.

It's all about how safe where you run is, how comfortable you feel, and general safety practices.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

See my above comments about running with the firearms in your hand(s). You won't need any time at all to shoot at would-be attackers/small puppies/hipsters along your way. And who grabs a person running with two guns anyway?

This exactly. See my above comments about your need of training and better tactics.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

This exactly. See my above comments about your need of training and better tactics.

Response force in the air and a couple of Apache in company?

Just in case...
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

Just in case...

better safe than sorry.

Probably best to just never leave your house, actually.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

Just in case...

better safe than sorry.

Probably best to just never leave your housefortress, actually.

FIFY
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

Just in case...

I wouldn't jog with anything less than a backpack nuke. Mutually assured destruction.

It also helps me naturally glow in the dark, so I don't need hi-vis gear.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    On mountain trails in the west try to avoid running at dusk in mountain lion areas. If you do see a big cat, make lots of noise, make yourself bigger and slowly back away. Do not reach down to grab a stick or rock. Do wear and use a headlamp.

Have fun.
  • PrePosthumous
    PrePosthumous Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend wearing headphones as you don't want to be less aware of your surrounding. Hearing is often the first (or only) warning you will get of any number of hazards that will be either out of your field of vision, or obscured in some manner.

Stay safe whatever you decide, and I wish you success in the new year.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Also would avoid the headphones., though that's going on our local area which is generally safe but a lot of paths are paths and cycle paths combined. Its hard enough to hear a cyclist coming up behind you at times with normal hearing without music blocking it.
    Although I don't run at night (prefer running the canal path which isn't lit), I do walk at night and do quite a bit of night hiking and not had any problems. However I do believe its knowing your area.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When I ran I was out at 5am. For some reason, morning dark was less of an issue than night dark.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Why not pepper spray?

image_zps901d175d.png

I'm a great shot on the range but smart enough to realize I'd need a boatload more training to be great in a combat situation. And since I don't feel the need to invest that time, I will stick with pepper spray.

Sorry Canadians (and probably others outside of the US), this may not play for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCI4bUk4vuM

But here's a recap: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/11/the-daily-show-effectively-debunks-good-guy-with-a-gun-theory.html