• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    BeastForm wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Couldn't be bothered to read everything so don't know if this has been mentioned. A big part of how unhealthy sugar can be is how your body deals with it. I am diabetic and regulary monitor my blood sugar levels so I have a good idea what is going on. When I was at my worst a bowl of oatmeal with milk would send my bloodsugar into the unhealthy range. Now I have improved my health by losing weight, cardio and weight training. I also only eat sugar from natural sources like fruit and milk. By doing all of this I can enjoy eating double the recommended sugar intake and still stay healthy. I did it for three months and had a blood test. My bloodsugar levels were still in the healthy range although slightly increaded. They rose from 30 to 35. The healthy range is 20 to 42 I think. I'm not saying try and eat loads of sugary things and stay healthy anyway as it is not wise to stress your body with excess sugar intake. It's just interesting to have this information. You can get far ahead of any health risks with the correct lifestyle and occasionaly enjoy treats and stay perfectly healthy. One day I at two whole pizzas to myself so I still indulge. Being fitter and stronger helps you out in everyday life too.

No one disputes that sugar needs to be watched by diabetics. That doesn't not apply to all.

Yeah but it's just you can be even further away from any health risks by at least not eating added sugar. It's not black and white, these things sneak up on people. Once something happens that you can't change you wish so bad that you lived differently.Added sugar has no benefits at all. It's a pure addiction.

Absolutely false.

Ok what are the benefits of adding sugar to food?

Energy. Calories (not EVERYONE is trying to lose weight). Taste. Carbs. Fuel for workouts.

All this is available without added sugar. You are conditioned to be this way. I don't need a sugar high to hit a deadlift PR.

So, your contention is that the availablility of alternatives means that each individual alternative has zero benefits?

So, your contention is that that's not how logic works? You might be onto something there... I'd be able to think about it if I didn't have the DTs from my sugar withdrawal. It's been 48 hours since my last candy cane and I'm really jonesing.

Good gravy man. Eat some pixie sticks or a couple peeps STAT!
  • BeastForm
    BeastForm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Couldn't be bothered to read everything so don't know if this has been mentioned. A big part of how unhealthy sugar can be is how your body deals with it. I am diabetic and regulary monitor my blood sugar levels so I have a good idea what is going on. When I was at my worst a bowl of oatmeal with milk would send my bloodsugar into the unhealthy range. Now I have improved my health by losing weight, cardio and weight training. I also only eat sugar from natural sources like fruit and milk. By doing all of this I can enjoy eating double the recommended sugar intake and still stay healthy. I did it for three months and had a blood test. My bloodsugar levels were still in the healthy range although slightly increaded. They rose from 30 to 35. The healthy range is 20 to 42 I think. I'm not saying try and eat loads of sugary things and stay healthy anyway as it is not wise to stress your body with excess sugar intake. It's just interesting to have this information. You can get far ahead of any health risks with the correct lifestyle and occasionaly enjoy treats and stay perfectly healthy. One day I at two whole pizzas to myself so I still indulge. Being fitter and stronger helps you out in everyday life too.

No one disputes that sugar needs to be watched by diabetics. That doesn't not apply to all.

Yeah but it's just you can be even further away from any health risks by at least not eating added sugar. It's not black and white, these things sneak up on people. Once something happens that you can't change you wish so bad that you lived differently.Added sugar has no benefits at all. It's a pure addiction.

Absolutely false.

Energy. Calories (not EVERYONE is trying to lose weight). Taste. Carbs. Fuel for workouts.

All this is available without added sugar. You are conditioned to be this way. I don't need a sugar high to hit a deadlift PR.

So, your contention is that the availablility of alternatives means that each individual alternative has zero benefits?

Adding sugar to food is not an alternative. It's a food industry strategy and it works big time. The cost? Well I'm sure they don' t lose any sleep after they get tired counting their millions of dollars. Who cares if people get sick and die? What's a limb or two here and there? Where do you draw the line?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

Healthy food can be delicous. Your taste buds are fried from all the junk. You can recover from this.

They're not mutually exclusive. Or are you under the impression that if someone has, say, one item with added sugar, then that's all they eat?

Well I mean you can get away with a lot of things but they are steps down a dark path. You don't want to find out you are stuck with the negative consequences of your choices. There is a point of no return with health obviously and you don't always see it coming.

Except there is zero evidence of a case where intake of added sugars singlehandedly caused disease without the correlation of a pre-existing condition, obesity or other mitigating factors.
    There is also zero evidence that sugar is an addictive substance as you claim.

You claim so much but prove so little.
  • BeastForm
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

Healthy food can be delicous. Your taste buds are fried from all the junk. You can recover from this.

They're not mutually exclusive. Or are you under the impression that if someone has, say, one item with added sugar, then that's all they eat?

Well I mean you can get away with a lot of things but they are steps down a dark path. You don't want to find out you are stuck with the negative consequences of your choices. There is a point of no return with health obviously and you don't always see it coming.

Ahhh..the ol' slippery slope logical fallacy. Or did you just perhaps recently see the new Star Wars movie?

I did see it and it wasn't that bad.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

Take a look at my diary and tell me which junk has fried my taste buds. I need help, man! I'm like, 3 snickers and a Coca-Cola from doing unspeakable things to a hobo behind the Shop&Go just because he promised me some packets of pure Domino. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!

Obviously, it is the mints. We have them at work and once I introduce people to them they are hooked. They'll go through a warehouse club bag of them in days!!
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Absolutely false.

So, your contention is that that's not how logic works? You might be onto something there... I'd be able to think about it if I didn't have the DTs from my sugar withdrawal. It's been 48 hours since my last candy cane and I'm really jonesing.

Be strong, tincan.
    Think of your children. You really want them to grow up with a shell of a father, wandering about with gummy bear residue and pixie stix dust in his beard?
    Fight the urge, man!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Titan1986 wrote: »
    You aren't really stepping on anyone's toes. Your argument is like if someone tries to convince the board that 2+2=5. Your argument is so far wrong that it is too laughable to step on anyone's toes.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Do you have any credible evidence that shows sugar to be as harmful as you make it out to be?

Also, can you tell me what negative impacts I am having on my body since I consume added sugar?

LOL. I knew he'd bust out either Lustig or Taubes (both full-on tinfoil hat crackpots) as his response to this question. I knew it. Good thing that Kool-Aid comes in sugar-free flavors.

I always love the classic binary thinking exhibited by anti-sugar zealots - you're either 100% sugar-free, or your hopelessly addicted to it and shoveling it down your piehole by the bucketload. There can be no reasonable middle ground.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Absolutely false.

Adding sugar to food is not an alternative. It's a food industry strategy and it works big time. The cost? Well I'm sure they don' t lose any sleep after they get tired counting their millions of dollars. Who cares if people get sick and die? What's a limb or two here and there? Where do you draw the line?

Yes, I'm sure the food industry's strategy is to kill or injure as many of their consumers as possible.

#WinningStrategy

But your post didn't answer the question I asked.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

My grandmother made her cookies from scratch and used sugar, just like her mother and her mother's mother. Could you explain where they fit into the food industry's strategy and why I don't have any of those million's of dollars? Clearly my grandma was a nefarious sugar peddler.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

Ahhh..the ol' slippery slope logical fallacy. Or did you just perhaps recently see the new Star Wars movie?

No spoilers!!!!
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options

Absolutely false.

I'll recap our discussion, since you seem to be confused. Pardon me for paraphrasing:

You: There are zero benefits to added sugar
    Me: Yes there are (listed)
    You: But you can get those benefits elsewhere
    Me: So you're saying that if I can get a benefit elsewhere, it nullifies that benefit?
    You: Food Industry BAD!!

Perhaps you can now find the major logic fail.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Absolutely false.

I'll recap our discussion, since you seem to be confused. Pardon me for paraphrasing:

You: There are zero benefits to added sugar
    Me: Yes there are (listed)
    You: But you can get those benefits elsewhere
    Me: So you're saying that if I can get a benefit elsewhere, it nullifies that benefit?
    You: Food Industry BAD!!

D8sxR1.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Absolutely false.

Kevin-Hart-Laugh-GIF.gif?gs=a
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

No spoilers!!!!

I haven't seen it yet...

My teenage daughter got me a blu-ray set of all 6 previous movies, and promised me she'd watch them with me and then go with me to the new one as my Xmas present. We finished up the last prequel last weekend...hopefully she'll make good on the latter half soon! (Though, being a teenage girl seen with her dad in public will surely be the costliest part of that gift to her).
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Absolutely false.

Good gravy man. Eat some pixie sticks or a couple peeps STAT!

Dude! Don't be an enabler!!
  • BeastForm
    Options

Absolutely false.

Yes, I'm sure the food industry's strategy is to kill or injure as many of their consumers as possible.

#WinningStrategy

You simply do not need to add extra sugar to food. There is enough in it already. The food industry encourages over consumption of their products to maximize profits.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Absolutely false.

My grandmother made her cookies from scratch and used sugar, just like her mother and her mother's mother. Could you explain where they fit into the food industry's strategy and why I don't have any of those million's of dollars? Clearly my grandma was a nefarious sugar peddler.

Well just because grandpa was a bootlegger doesn't mean you get a cut of Budweiser's profits either...
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

I might have hit that point. Do you think?

coffee-nervous-monday-sugar-gif
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

You simply do not need to add extra sugar to food. There is enough in it already. The food industry encourages over consumption of their products to maximize profits.

Not NEEDING to do something, doesn't mean there's no benefit.

I don't NEED to go work out this afternoon. But I'm going to anyway, and I'll benefit from it.

I don't disagree that many food items are created and marketed encouraging over-consumption. You'll get no argument from me there. The key, then would seem to me to be to learn how to eliminate the OVER part...not the CONSUMPTION part. And in an attempt to actually - you know - discuss the actual topic of the thread, it would seem the dietary guidelines agree. (I'll even call out my own appeal to authority fallacy)
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

No spoilers!!!!

I haven't seen it yet...

My teenage daughter got me a blu-ray set of all 6 previous movies, and promised me she'd watch them with me and then go with me to the new one as my Xmas present. We finished up the last prequel last weekend...hopefully she'll make good on the latter half soon! (Though, being a teenage girl seen with her dad in public will surely be the costliest part of that gift to her).

My wife and I just finished the original trilogy. Our plan is to watch the prequels between now and the dvd release.

That's a pretty epic Christmas gift from a teenager!