Hashimoto's, Gluten free and Frustrated...

Options

Replies

• worddigger
    worddigger Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @diesel073 Thanks so much for sharing with me... Yes, it is challenging but with the effort in listening to our bodies, it does make things easier, for sure...
  • worddigger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @mweckler Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate it! I love to cook myself, so I will definitely begin to try things out...
  • worddigger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Negative_X @aggelikik @Kristinemomof3
    @galgenstrick @vinegar_husbands @maroonmango211
    I replied to your comments above...thank you all!

• worddigger
    Options
    @Kristinemomof3 @Jeneba
    Looks like Bobs Red Mill is on my list, thanks!
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Gluten free us not necessarily lower calorie or healthier and not needed if you dont have celiac or gluten insensitivity
    I stay away from low carb diets they make brain fog worse in my case and i stay away from goitrogens like cabbage kale brussels sprouts but otherwise eat normally
  • worddigger
    Options
    @motterotter
    I agree with you... Definitely have to factor in the calorie and nutritional aspects for sure... Do you find cooking the goitrogens helps any?
  • motterotter
    Options
    I would eat every day if i could cooking is said to destroy the goitrogen but i will have cauliflower or cabbage once every week or so will not completely cut them out of my diet they have good stuff
    Theres so much rubbish out there on the internet about diets and hashimoto i really dont know
  • worddigger
    Options
    @motterotter
    You can say that again... It's just really doing what works...Balance...and taking thyroid meds (Synthroid works best for me) is a must for me. Thanks, again!
  • motterotter
    Options
    Life without coleslaw is hard
  • worddigger
    Options
    @motterotter Oh, yeah, coleslaw is good.. Do those vegetables give you symptoms or affect your Bloodwork when you eat them? I was just reading an article by a Thyroid Doctor which said that, unless you have an issue with iodine and your thyroid, in moderation, they are ok...better cooked... Food for thought...;):)
  • motterotter
    Options
    Havent had my bloodwork checked but I get more of the fuzzy brain symptoms and extreme fatigue after workout i noticed it after a couple instances when i was eating too much brassica like when
    I bought bunch of kohlrabi and ate it almost every day in a salad for about two weeks but again i may just have been extra stressed from work that week
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I would eat every day if i could cooking is said to destroy the goitrogen but i will have cauliflower or cabbage once every week or so will not completely cut them out of my diet they have good stuff
    Theres so much rubbish out there on the internet about diets and hashimoto i really dont know

any disease, it feels like the first response it to go low carb, gluten free, or dairy free. grumble
  • worddigger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @motterotter @moyer566
    Yes... The beginning is trial and error indeed... I notice that too intense of a workout stimulates the immune system too much for me... Better low intensity cardio and weight resistance exercises for me...I am just st learning to listen to my body...
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I've been GF for only a couple of months. I'm learning. I had withdrawal symptoms and I still grieve from time to time.

There's a Gluten Free group in the groups section, too.
  • worddigger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @sllm1 ah, thank you so much...it is a challenge, but it's ok...I know how you feel!
  • fitnforward
    fitnforward Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have Hashimotos, Lyme Disease, Menopause, and Celiac. Gluten free is required for Celiacs usually anyway. Hashimotos is hard to deal with for weight loss but NOT impossible. It's slower and more frustrating----DO NOT GIVE UP. Almost 3 weeks for me, I've lost several inches but it took 17 days for the scale to move. I finally dropped 3 stubborn pounds and plus my body is actually in Ketosis by the strips. I wasn't sure if my body would convert because of Hashi, but it did. I also do a lot of weight training with little cardio, that's why the inches are coming off. But I'm still burning FAT which I'm glad. Patience and discipline is the KEY to this journey with Hashimotos etc. Feel free to add me. Blessings. :)
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    worddigger wrote: »
    Anyone?? Just started gluten free because of my hypothyroid condition and would be happy to commiserate with like minded victims about food choices and symptoms...

Hashimoto's gets treated with religiously taking your meds and keeping up with your endocrinologist appointments. Everything else you are going to read on the internet, and every diet and supplement that is supposed to help, they are also just snake oil. These days, gluten free is the magic diet that will cure everything. If you are negative for celiac, eating or not eating gluten will change nothing. You might feel better, the mind is a really powerful thing, and the placebo effect is very real.
    And absolutely do not get off your meds and do not self-experiment. You will not feel the damage that is happening, until it is time to remove your thryroid, which can take several years to happen.

This is simply not true that celiac people are the only ones affected by gluten. When my GF gets ill from eating something that has gluten in it, without knowing it, how can that possibly be a placebo affect? The most recent studies are showing that there is a protein that exists in some people more than others that can be related to non-celiac gluten intolerance. People sharing uneducated opinions like they are facts is what makes it even more difficult to be gluten free in stores and restaurants because people believe that it is a "fad." Anyone who must be gluten free will tell you that it is not fun, and that they would probably eat it if they could!
  • worddigger
    Options
    @fitnforward
    Hey... Thanks so much for sharing with me, Your story is an inspiration, and I will definitely add you... That's awesome you are losing inches, I understand the slow rate at which losing comes with Hashimoto's, it is frustrating to say the least!
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

If you have hypothyroidism, I strongly encourage you to get tested for Hashimotos, autoimmune thyroid disease. Either way, you should look at the Autoimmune Protocol (diet) and see if that helps you. I have Hashis and had a partial thyroidectomy in 2013. I am still a work in progress and am back on myfitnesspal to keep myself accountable.

• jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just went gluten free, lactose free and low FODMAP for my my IBS and because I'm hypothyroid as well and I'm actually really excited! There are so many great sites online that have recipes that sound really good! One of them is: http://blog.katescarlata.com/low-fodmap-recipes/

Also, many grocery stores along with my work (Bulk Barn) have extensive gluten-free sections. Yesterday I picked up some gluten-free pretzels and gluten-frree cookies and I honestly can't tell the difference between them and the ones with gluten! Trust me, I was scared at first too. Hang in there, I've heard it gets easier! :smiley: