Who else doesn't eat pass 6 pm??

Options
124»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm a true believer that not eating pass 6 is key to losing weight. I have been doing it for a few months and it does work. I was just wondering who else doesn't eat late?

I honestly don't know anyone who is home before 6, so apparently you think people should skip dinner.

Personally I work, workout, and get home around 9 normally, so eat between 9 and 10. Doing that I lost 95 lbs.

Seriously. I can't believe all these people who make these silly rules that have so much free time on their hands. I'm with you - I work, commute, workout and am lucky to eat dinner by 9. Hasn't affected my weight loss at all.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You guys mean to tell me that all this time I've been starving myself every evening when it actually doesn't matter what time I eat!?!

The idea of employing an "eating cutoff" late in the evening has been a standard fat loss practice for many years.

In reality, this is nothing more than a myth. Fat loss is not an "on/off" switch, and achieving consistent weight loss is really just a matter of maintaining a calorie deficit over the long term. As long as your net energy consumption and net energy expenditure remain constant, eating late at night or even right before bed is not going to cause additional fat gain above and beyond eating at any other time.

Even if eating before bed does cause you to store a higher percentage of calories as fat at that time due to inactivity, it will still end up being burned the following day when your activity level rises. Again, it all just comes down to your total net calorie intake versus your total net calorie burn over the big picture.

The best approach to your fat loss diet is to get a small 15-20% calorie deficit in place, and then lay out your meals in whatever way you prefer in terms of your appetite and energy levels. If you're constantly going to bed hungry then there's a much greater chance that you'll simply get frustrated.

So, if you want to have a pre bedtime snack or even a full on pre bedtime meal, that's totally fine as long as it fits into your overall fat loss diet for the day as a whole. Don't fall for the whole "eating before bed myth", as it's an outdated guideline with no real science behind it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Living with a mother who had a so many answers AND solutions (many people have all the answers but the wrong solutions), it is best not to eat 2 hours before you sleep- usually not after 8:00 p.m. . Why? because your body, when you sleep should be in the DETOX mode (even when you work the graveyard shift). When you eat, it instead goes into the DIGESTIVE mode. It is long-term healthier for the body, to not eat late. This is from a master herbalist, RN, and biochemist who spent a life time in incredible health by living what makes sense. At the cell level, most people's bodies work the same. - To your health!

What exactly is your body detoxing from?

I never eat dinner before 6. Last night it wasn't until 8:15. Meal timing doesn't matter for the vast majority when it comes to weight loss.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I believe giving up this myth is a good part of my success so far. Knowing I don't have to restrict at night as long as I have calories available helps me not overeat.

I was eating all my calories before the magic time of 7pm. Eating lots of them when I wasn't really hungry. 9pm came around and I was hungry with no calories. It sucked.

When I gave in to saving calories for night, I thought my weight loss would slow because of the myth. I didn't care because it was either eat at night or stop dieting because I was so uncomfortable. I haven't experienced a slow down as I feared. Well, December's loss was slow but I can't blame it on the clock!

Gave up the "must have breakfast" thing too. Complete waste of my calories.

Letting go of the myths and relying solely on CICO is freeing.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The science isnt there to support no eating after 6 and making you lose weight faster. During my weightloss period, that was my personal preference so that I wouldnt have mindless late night snacking. Water was my only option after that time until 6 the next morning.
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well I can't eat right before going to bed because I do have acid reflux and I'd be up all night with bad heartburn or have really strange dreams
  • Heidisjourney
    Heidisjourney Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat after 6pm (gotta feed two young kids by around then )but that's because I don't get hungry later in the day, not because I believe it assists in anyway
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. But I'm often out of calories by 6pm, so yeah...
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The timing does not matter at all. Besides, it'd be impossible for me to cook and eat a healthy dinner by 6pm on a weeknight. I'm not depriving myself of food because of what the clock says. :smile: Watch your daily calories and eat them when you are hungry. It's far too impractical to worry about what time it is.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I do the opposite. I pretty much fast until 2 pm.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    I almost feel bad for the op but...live and learn! :)