What do you look for in a person? (dating, etc)

Options
myssjaxson
myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
So for fun, what're you into? What are your preferences? Be picky, be loose, whatever. Either realistic or not, what's ideal? What's okay? Cosmetic and/or personality-wise.

Think it'd be fun to discuss. One thing everyone on MFP knows is everyone is different ;)

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Age appropriate.
    Doesn't live with parents.
    Employed.
    Has a car.
    Never been in jail.
    Doesn't drink a lot.
    Doesn't smoke.
    Smart.
    Funny.
    Cultured.
    Positive.
    Bonus: has a child.

Those are the big ones for me.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    - Takes care of herself
    - Smart
    - Has aspirations beyond just a relationship
  • michellemundi
    michellemundi Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Loyalty
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Goal-oriented, low-key, down-to-Earth, and great with kids. Nothing makes me want to get up and leave more than "I hate kids" type of comments.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing is honesty. I can work with a lot of stuff in a relationship, but I can't handle being lied to. A good sense of humor, or at least can appreciate my sometimes twisted/off-kilter sense of humor & personality. Has things in life he's passionate about and/or goals he's actively working towards reaching. Has a sense of adventure.

And this isn't stuff I actively look for, but almost every man I've dated or been interested in has been southern, had dark hair and blue eyes, current/former military or emergency services (firefighter, emt, search & rescue, police) experience, driven/ridden a Jeep and/or Harley, and owned a dog. Most were also very interested in history, and several were studying it in college.
  • Radiated_JK
    Radiated_JK Posts: 165 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A woman who can be passionate and affectionate. Who will hold my hand in public and be ok with letting me kiss her in the middle of a crowded street. Show compassion in a time when I am at my lowest and hold me when I break down. Supports me in my choices. A woman who dresses with class, but looks at me like I'm the only one in the room no matter how many heads turn. A woman who is adventurous and naughty behind closed doors. A hopeless romantic who believes in true love. An open minded woman who is open to different ideas other than her own. A competitive nature, with a love for the thrill of adventure. Focused in her dreams and follows them. A willingness to listen to other's perspectives and a soft heart with patience to talk and find compromise. A woman who loves my goofiness and sense of humor and doesn't get embarrassed or judged when I am silly in public. All of these things make a relationship work in my opinion. But these same attributes are what I have found I can display with a woman who does the same for me. I love who I have become and I've never thought I could have deserved or found this type of love.
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A woman who can be passionate and affectionate. Who will hold my hand in public and be ok with letting me kiss her in the middle of a crowded street. Show compassion in a time when I am at my lowest and hold me when I break down.

This!

I'll add that I need someone who can handle my sensitivity. Someone who doesn't give up when it's hard. A guy as crazy as me with a great sense of humor. A must is someone who isn't afraid of my kids. I'm a package deal and it scares a lot of guys. Also a non smoker, biggest turn off ever.
  • grandslam1965
    grandslam1965 Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Confidence
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was told on two different occasions that they liked that I'm kind of a "rooster"-head around my friends and some people but they liked that cuz I'm supposedly a totally good guy when it's only us and shyt.

I think girls like that. Act bad when out in public but when alone with her, you're a f'n cherub playing the harpsichord and trumpets and shyt.

I'm not saying bad like slap the shyt out of your friend's milkshake, rather more like be all sarcastic but in a good way.
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Funny
    Nice to people (respectful of everyone, not judgy)
    Funny
    Not too into himself/cocky/superficial
    Funny
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Money.
  • kchuskey
    Options
    Nah... I'm kidding. :)
  • kchuskey
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Looks aren't as important to me as, attitude, sense of humor, kindness, and intelligence. Don't get me wrong.. I admire beauty in women, but it's not a determining factor.

Disclaimer: My wife is smokin hot.
  • MelissaJane90xo
    MelissaJane90xo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good moral compass (honesty, loyalty etc)
    Good to his family and friends
    Sense of adventure
    Sense of humour
    Somebody I can call my best friend and partner in crime!
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of you guys :)

For me the most important things are things that stick. (Looks fade, souls don't) so:
    -Cares about his health
    -Is focused on the future but doesn't live in the thought of it (living in the moment when its appropriate)
    -Can make me laugh like a hyena, cry like a baby and smile like Ted Bundy during a psychotic break.
    -Doesn't expect me to stay at home, cook, clean and "tend to the children" then rub his feet when he gets home. We can take turns giving foot rubs after the kids are asleep. lol.
    -Loves animals and understands I will never abandon mine. Anyone who loved me wouldn't make me choose, expecting me to choose between him and my best friend is an immediate invitation to the hell away from me.
    -Isn't snobby. I hate people who only talk to those who fit their criteria. You don't have to be best friends with everyone, you don't have to like everyone, but you have to treat every human being with an equal amount of kindness, every soul matters.
    -Is happy. I can't be around people who are incapable of looking on the bright side. I have trouble with that and I need someone who can show me the sun when all I see are the clouds.
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    myssjaxson wrote: »
    Agreed with all of you guys :)

For me the most important things are things that stick. (Looks fade, souls don't) so:
    -Cares about his health
    -Is focused on the future but doesn't live in the thought of it (living in the moment when its appropriate)
    -Can make me laugh like a hyena, cry like a baby and smile like Ted Bundy during a psychotic break.
    -Doesn't expect me to stay at home, cook, clean and "tend to the children" then rub his feet when he gets home. We can take turns giving foot rubs after the kids are asleep. lol.
    -Loves animals and understands I will never abandon mine. Anyone who loved me wouldn't make me choose, expecting me to choose between him and my best friend is an immediate invitation to the hell away from me.
    -Isn't snobby. I hate people who only talk to those who fit their criteria. You don't have to be best friends with everyone, you don't have to like everyone, but you have to treat every human being with an equal amount of kindness, every soul matters.
    -Is happy. I can't be around people who are incapable of looking on the bright side. I have trouble with that and I need someone who can show me the sun when all I see are the clouds.

i find all of this hard to find in women sometimes, me myself i guess im looking for someone who can be as emotionally attached as i will be, im just an Aquarius like that + all of the above what you listed.
  • owlprincess1234
    owlprincess1234 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Really it boils down to funny. If they're not funny and don't have a great sense of humour, it's not going to work out. I need fart jokes in my life, really un pc conversations, sarcastic one liners, and someone that can be made fun of.

Looks wise, pretty into super slim dudes, every dude I've ever dated has been tiny.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sense of humor...and cares about themselves but not conceited
  • JehTL
    JehTL Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have 2 requirements for my all time dream girl:
    1. Human
    2. Consent
    if I get really picky, I'd prefer if she knew we were dating as well.