no diet soda

Replies

• Charlenehh34
    Charlenehh34 Posts: 3 Member
    I personally wanna quit because Im so dependent on diet coke and drink tons, but I wanna do it because Id rather have all my teeth at 30 ;)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    jlisah wrote: »
    @ rabbitjb - You may be right. I worked with WebMD/CafeWell last year for my "get healthy" insurance incentive ($200) and the health coaches there said that seltzer was no better than soda as far as the calcium. I did not do my own research. Either way, it doesn't do anything for you nutritionally.

In that case, neither does water, really. If I'm getting a diet pop, I either want the caffeine, or a tasty cold drink to enjoy when I'm hungry or thirsty, and without the calories.

Water may not have nutrients, but your body needs it to survive. Caffeine and "tastes good" are about the only things diet soda has going for it, and unlike water, the phosphoric acid in soda wrecks tooth enamel. Doesn't mean people shouldn't drink it if they want to, but it's not like there are negative consequences to giving it up.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited January 2016
    kgeyser wrote: »
    @ rabbitjb - You may be right. I worked with WebMD/CafeWell last year for my "get healthy" insurance incentive ($200) and the health coaches there said that seltzer was no better than soda as far as the calcium. I did not do my own research. Either way, it doesn't do anything for you nutritionally.

In that case, neither does water, really. If I'm getting a diet pop, I either want the caffeine, or a tasty cold drink to enjoy when I'm hungry or thirsty, and without the calories.

Water may not have nutrients, but your body needs it to survive. Caffeine and "tastes good" are about the only things diet soda has going for it, and unlike water, the phosphoric acid in soda wrecks tooth enamel. Doesn't mean people shouldn't drink it if they want to, but it's not like there are negative consequences to giving it up.

But there could be? Inability to stick to calorie goals, lack of caffeine which could help with sluggishness, improved workouts. And how much soda do you need to consume to wreck your tooth enamel? Interestingly, water by definition doesn't even have tastes good and caffeine going for it :D.

Oh, and don't forget what's the major ingredient in diet pop
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    I am going to avoid the eternal argument about diet soda being good vs. bad and just say congratulations to the OP on doing well in your goal. You've made it past the first few days, which are always the hardest when you are trying to cut things out/reduce them. Way to go!
  • kgeyser

But there could be? Inability to stick to calorie goals, lack of caffeine which could help with sluggishness, improved workouts. And how much soda do you need to consume to wreck your tooth enamel? Interestingly, water by definition doesn't even have tastes good and caffeine going for it :D.

I'm not sure about the amount of soda for tooth enamel, I know even one a day has adverse impacts on mine. I'm also concerned that you may be a shill for big Brawndo. :D

brawndo01.gif
  • MelodyandBarbells

I'm not sure about the amount of soda for tooth enamel, I know even one a day has adverse impacts on mine. I'm also concerned that you may be a shill for big Brawndo. :D

brawndo01.gif

LOL :laugh:
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Sheez people. Someone says they've accomplished something and that they are proud of themselves and it turns into a debate. Nothing in the OP, her very first post, was debatable and nowhere was she asking anyone's opinion of if this was a good thing to do or not. Whatever happened to saying... Congratulations. Nice Job. Way to go! and in general being supportive??? Inherent in her post is she thinks its a good thing and is simply looking for some recognition for a job well done. Instead she gets people with thousands of previous posts judging her. I'd love to see the people posting here try to go 5 days with adhering to the philosophy that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Nice job Lisa! Keep up the good work.

I'll go back to avoiding the forums again. Thanks for reminding me why I did in the first place.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    sheclimber wrote: »
    Sheez people. Someone says they've accomplished something and that they are proud of themselves and it turns into a debate. Nothing in the OP, her very first post, was debatable and nowhere was she asking anyone's opinion of if this was a good thing to do or not. Whatever happened to saying... Congratulations. Nice Job. Way to go! and in general being supportive??? Inherent in her post is she thinks its a good thing and is simply looking for some recognition for a job well done. Instead she gets people with thousands of previous posts judging her. I'd love to see the people posting here try to go 5 days with adhering to the philosophy that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

I'll go back to avoiding the forums again. Thanks for reminding me why I did in the first place.

Just for clarity, was this your something nice to say?

And who says we're not helping the OP (and a bunch more people lurking?). If someone is white knuckling it to reach a goal, my hope is that they understand whether or not it's actually necessary, or if it's just their preference. If you want unconditional "Great Job"s, post to your friend list or a "quit soda" challenge group and delete anyone that says otherwise. This is the "General weight loss forum" and many of us Come here for factual information. If I can't do that for you, I'd indeed be happy to say nothing at all

And, no judgement to the OP. If quitting diet soda is what you want to do, great job, go for it, keep it up
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

You must be reading something that got deleted or something? None of the posts I have read "Have nothing nice to say"
  • sparrish531
    sparrish531 Posts: 499 Member
    I have not had any diet soda for 5days. Yay. So proud of myself...

Way to go! I believe diet sodas signal the body to replace the calories that are missing in the drink - has the opposite effect than marketing tells us it should have. Many studies show diet soda drinkers are more likely to gain weight.

This is a very good thing to do. Congrats, and keep it up!!!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Congrats. :)
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2016
    Well done, that's great! Everybody has different goals and obviously this mattered to you so why to go! I've gone a whole week without any form of bread which is a huge win for me so I know how you feel! :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016

Judging people for merely discussing things is rather...well judgy isn't it? And judging people for being long term members of a fitness site is rather...judgy too right?

your contention appears to be that the only way this thread should go is

OP posts I have done x

The only appropriate response from a bunch of complete strangers is "you go girl", "whoop" "well done"

Nothing else allowed

And such the dawn of the insipidly pointless discussion thread is heralded

Perhaps you could go for 5 days posting something that moves a conversation on?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Way to go! I believe diet sodas signal the body to replace the calories that are missing in the drink - has the opposite effect than marketing tells us it should have. Many studies show diet soda drinkers are more likely to gain weight.

I actually believe that people will eat more calories choose a diet soda because they think it makes a difference. I think that behavioural correlation is the cause of much of the media hype around this subject

I have yet to see a study that can prove otherwise but have seen millions of weblogs and media articles that spin a correlation into a causative effect

I find it interesting ...if you have any source material to back up this theory I'd be grateful for the link as I like reading this kind of stuff
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I actually believe that people will eat more calories choose a diet soda because they think it makes a difference. I think that behavioural correlation is the cause of much of the media hype around this subject

I have yet to see a study that can prove otherwise but have seen millions of weblogs and media articles that spin a correlation into a causative effect

I find it interesting ...if you have any source material to back up this theory I'd be grateful for the link as I like reading this kind of stuff

You make a really good point that correlation does not equal cause and effect. There was a study done a long time ago that correlated polio and eating ice cream. There was absolutely no cause and effect; they turned out to be correlated because polio is more common in the summer and summer is when most people choose to eat ice cream. It's a good thing to keep in mind that sometimes things are correlated that actually have little to do with each other and everything to do with an extraneous factor that hasn't been included in the study.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member

1. Consuming or choosing not to consume diet soda has no bearing on weight loss.

2. Posts that imply that certain foods are "bad" are generally not evidence based, and can make weight loss harder for those who think that they must give up all sorts of things they enjoy in order to lose weight and be healthy.

3. This is not a "clean eating" forum. Perhaps the OP would have gotten a more overwhelmingly positive response in a forum more geared to those beliefs.

In unrelated news, it's been 5 days since I took motrin. It has also been 5 days since I watched real housewives of Beverly Hills :( . Don't worry, I should have time to catch up with those crazy ladies this week.

• kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Congrats OP! Whatever your reasons for giving up diet soda, you made a goal and stuck to it.

I had switched to diet soda for awhile, found out shortly afterwards I have multiple sclerosis and more than one diet drink every couple days seems to give me a migraine and make some of my symptoms worse, so I mostly avoid it now.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

Great work toward your goal!

I gave up drinking caffeinated drinks many years ago and now rarely have soda pop of any kind. I don't think soda pop is evil but it was a good change for me personally to do that.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I actually don't know what she was trying to say but it sounds like it's breaking the laws of physics.
  • kgeyser

Are you talking about the food reward pathways? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/