Eating Disorders recovering as Vegans...

Options
I'm curious why people who had eating disorders seem to commonly recover as Vegans? How is that recovering? I mean you're still restricting as a Vegan by cutting out meat, dairy, honey, eggs. Is going Vegan like a cure from Eating Disorders?

Like the majority of famous people on YouTube who almost died from an eating disorder are now Vegan. Demi Lovato is now Vegan.

Replies

• FrothyGibblets
    FrothyGibblets Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd hazard a guess that by going vegan it still puts incredible restrictions on your diet, so a person recovering from an ED will not feel overwhelmed and still feel somewhat in control.

I'd certainly say it's something psychological within the ED mindset (assuming your observations are true, I don't tend to pay attention to celebrity culture, nor do I know any recovering ED patients) as opposed to recovering EDs coincidentally all going Vegan from a moral or ethical standpoint.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My husband is anorexic and his claim to be vegan when we met just seemed like a more acceptable lable/excuse for his being underweight. Like he's willing to say he's vegan instead of anorexic as people don't voice concern over veganism as much as anorexia that way... He needs to be in control and food restriction gives him that... (among other things) Eating Disorders are complex issues...
  • stephyc2016
    stephyc2016 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As FrotherGibblets has stated - it's kind of a baby step into eating again.

It probably does have to do with the recovery process and going vegan after having an ED won't put the stress of animal protein/fat on your body. Let's say Allison was anorexic for six months and is now recovering. She hasn't had food in a long while which means she hasn't had animal protein or dairy in that time she wasn't eating. Her body had adjusted to the anorexic lifestyle if you were to put a piece of steak in front of her and made her eat it her body wouldn't be able to process it properly causing her to be sick. Same would go if you put a glass of milk in front of her. Fruits and veggies would still be a bit to digest but it wouldn't be as hard on her body as it would be with animal products. As she gets healthier she can make a choice to continue veganism or to start eating animal products.

Another part of them going vegan is probably due to their doctor's choice. Veganism isn't for everyone. It's a huge lifestyle choice and you need to do a lot of research about going vegan before actually doing it. I've been vegan for 3 years, it was a personal choice and I did not consult a doctor before doing it; however, I personally feel better and have done a lot of research over the years to make sure my decision was the right one.

Everything I have stated above is personal opinion and you do not have to listen to what I've said. :) There could be many factors to going vegan after having an eating disorder.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Okay all answers make sense. I guess I can understand animal products can be hard on the body with an ED patient.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    As a prior anorexic of 5 years -in recovery for 6 years now- I can tell you that the re-introduction of certain foods can cause physical and emotional discomfort on a multitude of levels (dairy and fats were horrendous for me) ^_^ ANY person who has put their body through severe restriction is going to see almost a pregnancy like reaction as they begin eating again...it's a delicate and dangerous process to re-feed someone with an eating disorder. Around 90% of the people I've talked to who began their recovery period immediately relapsed during the re-feeding phase. Logically they know (or most do) that the sudden bloat and metamorphism of their bodies will gradually disappear but emotionally they aren't able to endure. So I suppose by introducing a low calorie diet, such as veganism, a bit of their eating disorder gets to stay with them (kind of like the husband mentioned above).

However I think it's just as important for a recovering anorexic to evaluate WHY they chose veganism. Is it really for the lifestyle (religious reasons, moral standing, etc.) or is it more of a way to cling to old habits? If it is to stay safe in old habits then reaching out to a support systems, and further weaning into a more omnivore diet, should be considered...lest old habits return.

I went straight back into an omnivore diet myself because I couldn't trust myself as a vegan. But I can tell you that I was in serious physical discomfort (as well as emotional) for MONTHS...I'm glad I stuck to it but if I hadn't been lucky enough to have my support system there's no way I could've done it.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    As a prior anorexic of 5 years -in recovery for 6 years now- I can tell you that the re-introduction of certain foods can cause physical and emotional discomfort on a multitude of levels (dairy and fats were horrendous for me) ^_^ ANY person who has put their body through severe restriction is going to see almost a pregnancy like reaction as they begin eating again...it's a delicate and dangerous process to re-feed someone with an eating disorder. Around 90% of the people I've talked to who began their recovery period immediately relapsed during the re-feeding phase. Logically they know (or most do) that the sudden bloat and metamorphism of their bodies will gradually disappear but emotionally they aren't able to endure. So I suppose by introducing a low calorie diet, such as veganism, a bit of their eating disorder gets to stay with them (kind of like the husband mentioned above).

However I think it's just as important for a recovering anorexic to evaluate WHY they chose veganism. Is it really for the lifestyle (religious reasons, moral standing, etc.) or is it more of a way to cling to old habits? If it is to stay safe in old habits then reaching out to a support systems, and further weaning into a more omnivore diet, should be considered...lest old habits return.

I went straight back into an omnivore diet myself because I couldn't trust myself as a vegan. But I can tell you that I was in serious physical discomfort (as well as emotional) for MONTHS...I'm glad I stuck to it but if I hadn't been lucky enough to have my support system there's no way I could've done it.

Perfectly stated. I used to work with women with eating disorders in a residential setting and this was exactly what I saw the women there experience.
  • staringatthesun
    staringatthesun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    in my experience as a recovered anorexic who has been through treatment MANY times, i've found that most of the times anorexics or recovering anorexics claim to be vegan, it's a symptom of their illness. plain and simple.

i've been vegetarian (not vegan), since middle school, when i learned more about animal cruelty and later about the environmental impact of the meat industry. but while in treatment i specifically ate MORE challenging foods than the meat options, to prove that it wasn't my eating disorder talking, lol. and i've specifically avoided veganism because i too (as stated above), find it to be too much of a slippery slope. for me, at least personally, being vegan would absolutely be a way of continuing my ED behaviors, just in a more socially acceptable way. from what i've experienced and seen and heard and read, what i think is frequently the best approach for an anorexic or recovering anorexic who says they are vegan or vegetarian is to continue to explore the matter with them, tease out their reasoning, and if it is a behavior, to slowly begin to challenge it, to separate their food choices from their person, just as you do with the other behaviors. i've also noticed that a lot of treatment providers allow vegetarianism but not veganism in their programs, while working with the vegetarians to discover their true motivations.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have to edit.
  • PowerKickChic
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I became pescetarian just over 2 months ago. I just couldn't bare to eat most animals and the thought of eating their muscles and fat repulses me now. I only eat seafood that is unintelligent or wild caught. (Only have brain stems and/or that are able to live in the wild without abuse)

I haven't lost weight haha! Mostly because I'm eating more carbs and sugar than I should. A few weeks back I started getting depressed and so tired I could hardly get out of bed. I was becoming malnourished even when I had enough calories. You cant survive as a vegan, vegetarian or Pescatarian if you don't supplement the nutrition you have lost by not eating meat. Its not just about calories in/calorie out like with the people who do.

If you become vegan, vegetarian or pescetarian you NEED supplements. No if, ands of buts. You will need to take 130mg iron, 2400mg fish oil, 5000 vitamin D, a multi vitamin, 5000 mcg B-12 every day and a magnesium, zinc and calcium pill every meal. You will also need to eat fruit every morning to let some of the vitamins absorb. You will need to eat lots and lots of fat. You can go over your daily calories as long as its from fat and healthy foods but not with sugar or carbs. Actually, you shouldn't have a low calorie goal if you don't eat meat anyways.

I can understand how someone could become anorexic or even look like they are when they are actually eating a lot of food. For example, Its super hard to find anything to eat in a typical restaurant, even for me who eats seafood. I am guessing most vegans and vegetarians have to eat salad, a potato and or a side of veggies. That is more than likely not enough calories to count as a full meal.

According to google, only 6% of vegetarians are overweight. I really need to get my butt in gear and not be one of them haha! A fat Pescatarian...Sigh!!! I need to lose another 60lbs. I hope I can get there!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I became pescetarian just over 2 months ago. I just couldn't bare to eat most animals and the thought of eating their muscles and fat repulses me now. I only eat seafood that is unintelligent or wild caught. (Only have brain stems and/or that are able to live in the wild without abuse)

I haven't lost weight haha! Mostly because I'm eating more carbs and sugar than I should. A few weeks back I started getting depressed and so tired I could hardly get out of bed. I was becoming malnourished even when I had enough calories. You cant survive as a vegan, vegetarian or Pescatarian if you don't supplement the nutrition you have lost by not eating meat. Its not just about calories in/calorie out like with the people who do.

If you become vegan, vegetarian or pescetarian you NEED supplements. No if, ands of buts. You will need to take 130mg iron, 2400mg fish oil, 5000 vitamin D, a multi vitamin, 5000 mcg B-12 every day and a magnesium, zinc and calcium pill every meal. You will also need to eat fruit every morning to let some of the vitamins absorb. You will need to eat lots and lots of fat. You can go over your daily calories as long as its from fat and healthy foods but not with sugar or carbs. Actually, you shouldn't have a low calorie goal if you don't eat meat anyways.

I can understand how someone could become anorexic or even look like they are when they are actually eating a lot of food. For example, Its super hard to find anything to eat in a typical restaurant, even for me who eats seafood. I am guessing most vegans and vegetarians have to eat salad, a potato and or a side of veggies. That is more than likely not enough calories to count as a full meal.

According to google, only 6% of vegetarians are overweight. I really need to get my butt in gear and not be one of them haha! A fat Pescatarian...Sigh!!! I need to lose another 60lbs. I hope I can get there!

Actually 6% are obese. 29% are either overweight or obese. And they attend less college than semi-vegetarians or lactovegetarians. But this does not mean that becoming vegan will make me smaller or make me lose a degree.

Causality, it is a funny thing.

By the way, Lactovegeterians as 1% less obese and less overweight in that study.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/6/1267/T1.expansion.html

• PowerKickChic
    Options
    Oops hah! I just ready what Google popped up and didn't go into detail. Thanks!
  • staringatthesun
    staringatthesun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    this thread is about people recovering from eating disorders who become vegan and why that is, not about whether you can lose weight or be healthy not eating meat. you guys are talking about something completely different. actually, i'm not even sure what you are talking about or what it would be relevant to... but it's definitely not relevant or helpful in this thread (which is about a serious and deadly mental illness).

Actually 6% are obese. 29% are either overweight or obese. And they attend less college than semi-vegetarians or lactovegetarians. But this does not mean that becoming vegan will make me smaller or make me lose a degree.

By the way, Lactovegeterians as 1% less obese and less overweight in that study.

• Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    this thread is about people recovering from eating disorders who become vegan and why that is, not about whether you can lose weight or be healthy not eating meat. you guys are talking about something completely different. actually, i'm not even sure what you are talking about or what it would be relevant to... but it's definitely not relevant or helpful in this thread (which is about a serious and deadly mental illness).

Thank you for understanding the point of this thread. Like I don't want to lose a ton of weight. Just maintain around 145 since I'm only 5foot 7inches and I'm happy at that weight.

And I figure out the other day I'm also lactose intolerant. Along with having a meat intolerance. It kind of sucks though. I mean, when I was seven because I knew anything about eating disorders, before bulimia effected my life I loved cheese. Literally cheese was all I even ate. And growing up my taste buds changed drastically. I don't know if it's from the illness or just your typical growing up taste bud changes. Hey I'm only 21 I'm still new at this.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options

I was a vegetarian for five years and I have tried being a Pescatarian before but soon found out quickly fish and seafood make me sick terribly.

Any places you know of that sell cheapish supplements?

• Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options

I know I have been a Vegetarian for a long time. But for a while I between I did have to reintroduce some meats into my diet for a brief time. Only to prove to myself I am going Vegetarian for the right way and that I am not just trying to deprive myself and let my eating disorder win over.

Now that I am free from Ana and Mia I finally know what truly my body can't tolerate; meat, diary, eggs, milk. Ugh it sucks especially since when I was seven(mentioned in a previous post here) I freaking loved cheese!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

I was a vegetarian for five years and I have tried being a Pescatarian before but soon found out quickly fish and seafood make me sick terribly.

Check your local gnc or health food store for sales. Compare prices online . sometimes places like CVS have buy one get one free. ( this would only help if your in the USA )
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Check your local gnc or health food store for sales. Compare prices online . sometimes places like CVS have buy one get one free. ( this would only help if your in the USA )

I'll check CVS....lets hope I don't go crazy and buy everything in stock
  • idipyoudipwedip
    idipyoudipwedip Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To the people saying that veganism is such an extreme diet or that you need to supplement every meal.. Simply lies. What is so hard about replacing the meat and eggs in your diet to beans, lentils, tofu, nuts and seeds (these contain no cholesterol and low amounts of saturated fat, unlike animal flesh, as well as containing fibre, which animal carcasses lack), and replacing the dairy milk in your diet to plant milks such as soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc? These products also contain tons of added vitamins and minerals. Don't forget that meat and dairy are also supplemented - animals are fed enriched meals and dairy is fortified with calcium. It's not just vegans who need to supplement, everyone does. Luckily, the food industry has done most of it for us. The only supplement vegans may need take is B12, if they don't eat a lot of fortified plant milks or mock meats, because our plants no longer contain enough bacteria that contains B12 because of sanitation practises. However, in meat, there is enough bacteria to get enough B12. B12 pills are quite inexpensive and accessible. It's not a crazy extreme diet. It's just about finding replacements with similar nutrient profiles.

As for people with eating disorders turning to veganism, I have a feeling it has something to do with trying to find a diet that they can feel good about and stick with without feeling guilty. It may appear to have "cleaner" food, as people with eating disorders often feel dirty eating high-calorie, high fat foods. A vegan diet may make them feel more "clean" or less bloated. Maybe these people want to latch onto a diet that they can finally feel good about, and the moral and environmental benefits of a vegan diet may make them finally feel justified in eating food for the first time in a long time.
  • idipyoudipwedip
    idipyoudipwedip Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To be fair, it may seem like an extreme diet if you are switching from eating prepackaged pseudo foods containing dairy and meat to eating homemade whole food vegan meals. However, I would argue that eating meat and dairy every day is extreme. Nobody needs to eat that much. A healthy diet is about 85% vegan by default. Vegetables, fruit, grains, beans, nuts, and seeds should make up most or all of your diet.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

PowerKickChic post was about her experience with food repulsion, veganism and anorexia - certainly relevant to the thread. In it, she also mentioned an issue related to perception of veganism and weight populations distribution. It was incorrect and I addressed that.

It's true that my post wasn't directly related to EDs but the perception that veganism is a weight loss solution is also part of the reason why some people take it up as an extremely restrictive diet. If you think that people that are very overweight can't have issues that lead to restrictive EDs - you are quite wrong. Addressing the fact that joining a vegan diet won't solve being overweight by itself is also food for thought for those that might consider such strict eating as a possible solution - and avoid a path that may lead some to issues.

EDs are, as you post, "serious and deadly illnesses" - addressing how people enter them - with the perception that a highly restrictive diet (which may or may not lead to an ED) is a way to lose weight is relevant.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!