edited January 2016
    My yesterday

sco4788r5f6j.jpg

s4f78jxo6jto.jpg

nl7ivqrlkwag.jpg
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    For those of you who are actually answering the question: thanks! I get curious about other people's eating habits, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Daily I will have
    A packet of crisps (chips) - occasionally 2
    An ice cream of some description
    A cookie or two

My meals are mainly nutritionally sound, if I not hitting my macro or micro targets I will adjust

I will on occasion eat pizza, Chinese or Indian food ..and I go out once or twice a week and drink a couple of glasses a wine

This is all within my calories and nutritional guidelines ..but I classify nothing as junk in my head

Interesting. Here's my food diary for yesterday:

Breakfast: croissant

Lunch: protein smoothie with greek yogurt, protein powder, one cup strawberries, and almond milk and a serving of cheetos

Dinner:
    Scooped out bagel with cream cheese and a small salad

Snacks:
    1 BJ's chocolate chip cookie
    1 serving cheerios
    1 serving wheat thins

According to my Fitbit, I burned over a thousand calories because of a ten mile run, so I actually got to eat more than normally, because I didn't want my net calories to be 80, that's ridiculous.

Wait, so what was your net calorie intake for yesterday? 'Cause I gotta tell you, it does looks ridiculously low.

Well, the croissant was 300 calories, the protein shake was 400, the cookie from Bjs was 230, the wheat thins 140, cheerios 110, the bagel and cream cheese was 250 or so and the salad was another 300 cals since I like cheese, lol. The cheetos were 150 cals.

That's 1,880 cals. Net cals were 863. Probably too low, but I was determined to get the 20k step badge from Fitbit. Normally I only burn about 500-600 cals a day and eat around 1500. Trust me, yesterday was a huge exception.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    So, you normally net around 900-1000, yesterday you netted 863 but it was a huge exception? You should eat more junk food.
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    So, you normally net around 900-1000, yesterday you netted 863 but it was a huge exception? You should eat more junk food.

I normally net 1200 or a little more. Most days, I get very hungry and eat upwards of 1800. You really shouldn't judge me based one day. If I were severely undereating 1. I wouldnt have a BMI of 25 with 36 percent body fat and 2. I wouldn't be able to run miles and miles every day. Also I normally take about 12k steps and burn 500-600 calories. Yesterday was the one and only time I hit 20k and I will probably never reach that again.

I also have high blood pressure so I have to watch my sodium, which is why I didn't eat more junk yesterday. And the bp is due to a heart condition, I really can't do anything about that other than take meds
  • tincanonastring
    edited January 2016
    You just said:
    Normally I only burn about 500-600 cals a day and eat around 1500. Trust me, yesterday was a huge exception.

So, which is it?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I don't label food as junk. All food provides energy.

I get where you're coming from, but the definition of junk food is food that is low in nutrients, like cake, cookies, etc. and typically high in calories. They don't really provide vitamins and minerals compared to fruit and veg. Maybe you don't like to label foods and that's ok. But junk food typically doesn't provide energy. At least not sustainable energy. A donut and a sweet potato certainly don't act the same.

That said, I see nothing wrong with eating things in moderation. Especially if I log it.

whole wheat, apples, bananas, coconut, and whole grain rice would also have to be examples of foods meeting the "junk" classification...

How could fruit ever meet a classification that included the phrase "compared to fruit and veg."?

apples and bananas are very nutrient poor fruits.

That's not true, nor does it answer the question.

fruits in general are nowhere in the ballpark of being as nutrient dense as vegetables. And apples and bananas are among lowest in nutrient density of the fruits americans commonly consume.

Apples: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

Bananas are a little better /100 cals, but still.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

RIght in line with wheat:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5744/2

Not being as nutrient dense as something else is not the same as being nutrient poor. And still does not address my question.
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    You just said:
    Normally I only burn about 500-600 cals a day and eat around 1500. Trust me, yesterday was a huge exception.

So, which is it?

90 percent of the time: eat 1500, net 1200.
    9.9 percent of the time: eat 1800, net 1400.
    .1 percent, aka yesterday: ate 1800 and net 800 something. And I did feel bad about it and won't eat that little again.

And on the weekends I take rest days and only burn about 200 cals each day through exercise and eat whatever I want and don't really track Sat and Sun.

Like I said, if I were drastically undereating I wouldn't be able to sustain my activities and wouldn't be borderline overweight. Plus I'm a full time SAHM.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I feel like if I completely banned junk food, I wouldn't feel satisfied and would overeat. I also try to balance junk with fruit and veg. I think that's pretty sensible.
    This tbh. I eat something sweet almost everyday.

For me, it doesn't have to be sweet, it could be savory as well. But my general rule is one junk item per day, everything else has to be healthy.
    True, I just tend to prefer sweets.

• tincanonastring
    You just said:

So, which is it?

90 percent of the time: eat 1500, net 1200.
    9.9 percent of the time: eat 1800, net 1400.
    .1 percent, aka yesterday: ate 1800 and net 800 something. And I did feel bad about it and won't eat that little again.

And on the weekends I take rest days and only burn about 200 cals each day through exercise and eat whatever I want and don't really track Sat and Sun.

Like I said, if I were drastically undereating I wouldn't be able to sustain my activities and wouldn't be borderline overweight. Plus I'm a full time SAHM.

Uh-huh.

dr-evil-right.gif
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I literally just ate some m&ms with my toddler. It keeps my sanity to eat a little junk food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Yeah I do. Usually 300ish calories a day (out of 1900). Sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on how hungry I am that day.

(not reading the replies because I don't care about another debate about how there's no such thing as junk food).
  • Colorscheme
    I literally just ate some m&ms with my toddler. It keeps my sanity to eat a little junk food.

I have a toddler too and sometimes it's hard not to eat whatever they're eating, whether it's baby puffs, a cereal bar, etc. Or maybe that's just me, lol.

I haven't given my son M and M's yet because I'm worried he'll choke on them. [He's 15 months old soon]
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Yes, I still eat foods that are traditionally categorized as "junk." I include them in my day, track them, and make them fit because they bring joy to my life (so do puppies and cat gifs, and I make room for those too).

There are some foods that I used to eat that I just don't find worth the calories anymore. Oatmeal Creme Pies are one of those. Just not as good as I remember and I'd rather spend the calories on something tastier.

I don't do a lot of baking for myself, so I don't have cake or cookies around very often unless I seek them out. But if I'm at a friend's house and they make mini-cupcakes you can bet I'm going to partake (looking at you @gramarye :drinker:) And if I'm at my parents' house and they have fresh Krispy Kremes or if they bought me a blueberry cake donut from Dunkin, I'm going to enjoy it.

And sometimes there are things that I could moderate before that I can't moderate now, for whatever reasons. Ice cream is like that for me, at the moment. Depression, anxiety, SAD, whatever it is, I just can't stick to one serving at the moment. So I don't bring it in the house and will swap it out with another treat until I can moderate it again.

I don't know what percentage of my day it works out to be. I don't really care as long as I'm hitting my goals consistently (including weight management, macros, and whichever micros I choose to track). But this is a place where everyone's mileage will vary. Include what you want. Cut out what you want.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    I love junk food. Like everyone else I just add it into my calorie intake. Had to learn moderation because I could eat a family size bag of barbeque chips with french onion dip in one sitting easily!!! Lol
  • Colorscheme
    vada44 wrote: »
    I love junk food. Like everyone else I just add it into my calorie intake. Had to learn moderation because I could eat a family size bag of barbeque chips with french onion dip in one sitting easily!!! Lol

Ahaha same here. Over the weekend, I ate an entire bag of Goldfish, the 6.6 oz size, lol. No regrets!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I don't label food as junk. All food provides energy.

I get where you're coming from, but the definition of junk food is food that is low in nutrients, like cake, cookies, etc. and typically high in calories. They don't really provide vitamins and minerals compared to fruit and veg. Maybe you don't like to label foods and that's ok. But junk food typically doesn't provide energy. At least not sustainable energy. A donut and a sweet potato certainly don't act the same.

That said, I see nothing wrong with eating things in moderation. Especially if I log it.

whole wheat, apples, bananas, coconut, and whole grain rice would also have to be examples of foods meeting the "junk" classification...

How could fruit ever meet a classification that included the phrase "compared to fruit and veg."?

apples and bananas are very nutrient poor fruits.

That's not true, nor does it answer the question.

fruits in general are nowhere in the ballpark of being as nutrient dense as vegetables. And apples and bananas are among lowest in nutrient density of the fruits americans commonly consume.

Apples: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

Bananas are a little better /100 cals, but still.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

RIght in line with wheat:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5744/2

Not being as nutrient dense as something else is not the same as being nutrient poor. And still does not address my question.

I'm showing an example of how a food generally thought to be super healthy, in reality is little better than food considered junk (say potato chips or crackers).

It puts things in perspective of our trying to draw a line between junk and not junk.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I eat as much junk food as I can stand. It prepares my body to withstand the junk science I come across from time to time on MFP.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    I eat as much junk food as I can stand. It prepares my body to withstand the junk science I come across from time to time on MFP.

Liar