Do you eat junk? why or why not?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I consider junk food to be foods that I would not eat everyday because they are nutritionally inferior to the foods I would normally eat at a meal. Usually said junk food can be found at the checkout of any gas station or convenience store.

I eat junk food that fits my macros and has some nutrition to it. Lately my junk food is pork rinds. It fits my very LCHF macros. I skip junk food with no real nutritional value such as diet cola.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    gramarye wrote: »
    Hell yes. If I have the calories and have already eaten my meals for the day, that's extra room for snacks. Yesterday I was under 1200 calories after I finished dinner (which is super rare for me, to be honest). So I hade two servings of ice cream and a can of cream soda, the latter being something that I haven't had in over a year because drinking calories is usually such a waste.

On the average day, though, I usually just make room throughout the day. I usually have a fun-size candy bar every day with lunch -- about 100 calories, and satisfying for the part of me that wants something sweet mid-day. It works for me. :)

Oh, my heavens! Haven't thought of cream soda in a long, long time. Don't think I can get it here - thank heavens, lol.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I consider junk food to be foods that I would not eat everyday because they are nutritionally inferior to the foods I would normally eat at a meal. Usually said junk food can be found at the checkout of any gas station or convenience store.

I eat junk food that fits my macros and has some nutrition to it. Lately my junk food is pork rinds. It fits my very LCHF macros. I skip junk food with no real nutritional value such as diet cola.

Oh gosh...diet soda is a vice of mine. Luckily I got a SodaStream so that fills my soda void. No cans or bottles and no recycling needed, hehe. I just press the button and get carbonated water. I don't even add flavoring.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    I eat as much junk food as I can stand. It prepares my body to withstand the junk science I come across from time to time on MFP.

Liar

You just don't understand how much the junk food helps when it is that time of the month that it seems like every one is posting woo.
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    I eat as much junk food as I can stand. It prepares my body to withstand the junk science I come across from time to time on MFP.

Liar

You just don't understand how much the junk food helps when it is that time of the month that it seems like every one is posting woo.

I GUESS you can eat all junk, look at the Twinkie diet. But then you'd be void of essentially vitamins and minerals as a result. Do you eat fruit and veg when it's not that time of the month?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member

Liar

I GUESS you can eat all junk, look at the Twinkie diet. But then you'd be void of essentially vitamins and minerals as a result.

What if I took a multivitamin?
  • senecarr

Liar

I GUESS you can eat all junk, look at the Twinkie diet. But then you'd be void of essentially vitamins and minerals as a result. Do you eat fruit and veg when it's not that time of the month?

Or just take a multi-vitamin.
    I'll probably go with eating 1 pound of veggies most days instead though.
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016

Liar

I GUESS you can eat all junk, look at the Twinkie diet. But then you'd be void of essentially vitamins and minerals as a result.

I think research has shown that taking multivitamins isn't enough.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1789253

From the study:

With respect to multivitamins, the studies published in this issue and previous trials indicate no substantial health benefit. This evidence, combined with biological considerations, suggests that any effect, either beneficial or harmful, is probably small. As we learned from voluminous trial data on vitamin E, however, clinical trials are not well-suited to identify very small effects, and future trials of multivitamins for chronic disease prevention in well-nourished populations are likely to be futile.

In conclusion, β-carotene, vitamin E, and possibly high doses of vitamin A supplements are harmful. Other antioxidants, folic acid and B vitamins, and multivitamin and mineral supplements are ineffective for preventing mortality or morbidity due to major chronic diseases. Although available evidence does not rule out small benefits or harms or large benefits or harms in a small subgroup of the population, we believe that the case is closed— supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful. These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough.

Take that as you will, if you want to or dont want to take a vitamin makes no difference to me.

Prenatals are different because the lack of folic acid can cause spina bifida.
  • nvmomketo

Oh gosh...diet soda is a vice of mine. Luckily I got a SodaStream so that fills my soda void. No cans or bottles and no recycling needed, hehe. I just press the button and get carbonated water. I don't even add flavoring.

Love my SodaStream! I add just a bit of lime and I am happy. :)
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Yes, because it is delicious.
  • tincanonastring

Liar

From the study:

With respect to multivitamins, the studies published in this issue and previous trials indicate no substantial health benefit. This evidence, combined with biological considerations, suggests that any effect, either beneficial or harmful, is probably small. As we learned from voluminous trial data on vitamin E, however, clinical trials are not well-suited to identify very small effects, and future trials of multivitamins for chronic disease prevention in well-nourished populations are likely to be futile.

In conclusion, β-carotene, vitamin E, and possibly high doses of vitamin A supplements are harmful. Other antioxidants, folic acid and B vitamins, and multivitamin and mineral supplements are ineffective for preventing mortality or morbidity due to major chronic diseases. Although available evidence does not rule out small benefits or harms or large benefits or harms in a small subgroup of the population, we believe that the case is closed— supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful. These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough.

Take that as you will, if you want to or dont want to take a vitamin makes no difference to me.

But that's about supplements for "well-nourished adults." We're specifically talking about people who don't eat a balanced diet.
  • Colorscheme

If you're a big SS user like I am, you can actually get a SodaStream mod so that you can fill a paintball tank instead of exchanging the 60 L one for $15. To fill a paintball tank is only a couple of bucks. The downside is that the mod is $80.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Its not worth the calories to me to be honest.
    How many calories is a donut? 280-300? I can have egg whites with veggies and cheese and a side of fruit with those calories and it fills me tenfold.
    And as a sweet treat I just have some hot chocolate or some coffee with a biscotti. I dont know, cutting the junk cold turkey was really easy for me.
  • senecarr

Liar

From the study:

But that's about supplements for "well-nourished adults." We're specifically talking about people who don't eat a balanced diet.

Can we make it a gummy multi-vitamin, just so I can keep it junk food?
  • tincanonastring
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    How many calories is a donut? 280-300? I can have egg whites with veggies and cheese and a side of fruit with those calories and it fills me tenfold.
    And as a sweet treat I just have some hot chocolate or some coffee with a biscotti. I dont know, cutting the junk cold turkey was really easy for me.

A Krispy Kreme original glazed donut is 190 calories.
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016

Heh, the donut I had today was 230, but it's frosted and has sprinkles. I'm sure the donuts I used to get from this rad place was even more, because those things were huge. RIP, Dough Loco in Manhattan.
  • MeiannaLee wrote: »

I'd rather have something is more substantial and will keep me full for longer.
  • tincanonastring

I'd rather have something is more substantial and will keep me full for longer.

Good?
  • starbuckaddict
    starbuckaddict Posts: 38 Member
    I find this thread super interesting. However if I ever start thinking about fruits as junk food *shudder* can't handle that.

Anyways I don't really eat "junk food" like cookies, donuts, pizza, ice cream but I do drink a lot of sugary drinks from starbucks (like three a week in general) and I count those as junk drinks.
  • nvmomketo

If you're a big SS user like I am, you can actually get a SodaStream mod so that you can fill a paintball tank instead of exchanging the 60 L one for $15. To fill a paintball tank is only a couple of bucks. The downside is that the mod is $80.

I had no idea. Thank you! :)