Carbs..

Options
13»

Replies

• elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Everyone says it's like a crazy horrible thing. Like the worst to put in your body. The only positive thing I've heard is pasta and bread is good when you have lost all your weight and yiu are maintaining and watching it.

No matter what type of carbohydrate rich food you eat, in the end it will always be broken down into its simplest form of glucose. At the end of the day, a carb is a carb.

The only real difference is in how those carbs are "packaged up". Some are found in high fiber, micronutrient dense sources, while others are found in nutritionally empty foods.

So, in order to ensure that you're receiving all of the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and fiber that you need for optimal functioning, the best carbohydrates are simply those that have been minimally refined, such as starchy carbs, fruits and vegetables.

Here is a list of good carbs to build muscle and lose fat optimally: Oatmeal, Rice, Quinoa, Potatoes, Sweet potatoes, Yams, Ezekial bread, Whole grain cereals, Pita, Pasta, Fruits, Vegetables.

As long as 80-90% of your daily carb intake is based around these healthy carb sources, and you're getting in 1-2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of vegetables daily, there really isn't much else to worry about when it comes to choosing "healthy carbs".

Don't worry about the specific absorption rate of each carbohydrate source or what you hear from some bogus sources outlining "which carbs to avoid" - just get 80-90% of your carb intake from the foods listed and you'll be good to go.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy (and I'm doing Keto lol!!) Not watching your numbers is!! Some people can eat carbs all day and lose weight, some cannot (I'm in that category and for health reasons... diabetes runs in my family). Some people can eat a vegetarian diet and be obese. I say that there is a reason for many types of diets because there are many types of people but those are still just "guidelines". You still need to have a handle on CICO and and some kind of light exercise. Part of this process of is finding the numbers to help you lose but also to help fuel you and get you to your prime state of health!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    elite_nal wrote: »
    Everyone says it's like a crazy horrible thing. Like the worst to put in your body. The only positive thing I've heard is pasta and bread is good when you have lost all your weight and yiu are maintaining and watching it.

No matter what type of carbohydrate rich food you eat, in the end it will always be broken down into its simplest form of glucose. At the end of the day, a carb is a carb.

This sentence is incorrect. There are carbs that don't break down in to glucose.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jruder69 wrote: »
    I have given up added sugar (about 95% at least) and seriously cut down on my "processed carbs" such as bread and pasta. I replaced them with more of a paleo lifestyle and for *me* it has worked fantastic. "healthy whole grains" is misleading, research insulin response ect. I found the book "why we get fat: and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes to be very well researched and a interesting read. Just what has worked for me, so please just back away from the keyboard if you are about to slam me. Your experience is your experience and I am not knocking it.

"Gary Taubes" and "well researched" are oxymorons.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Not all people react the same to certain foods. Do what works best for YOUR body. As for feeling sick, Make sure you get enough salt, (some people drink a little pickle juice) potassium and magnesium.

Those are indeed important but no one should be intaking extra potassium without a drs approval because too much potassium can cause heart issues, just like too little can.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    When I lower my carbs I feel it for a day or two. I try to keep mine around 25g or less per meal for weight loss, but need a little more if I'm exercising more than a moderate amount.
    Protein and fat and fiber are high in my diet as a result and I find this to be very sustaining.
    All I can say is, accurately log what you eat...weigh your food. This is how you can see what works for you!
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options

This sentence is incorrect. There are carbs that don't break down in to glucose.

Well, when it really all comes down to it, carbs are just sugar.

Whether you drink a grande Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino with extra whipping cream or you eat a bowl of brown rice, it all gets broken down into the simple form of glucose one way or another.

So in that sense, a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate because the end product is all the same.

As I said earlier, the only real difference is in how those carbs are “packaged up”.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You need to find an eating plan that makes you happy, is sustainable, and achieves the weight loss you are looking for. I have done the lo carb route and was happy with it for awhile but missed fruit and veg, so it wasnt sustainable for me. Right now, I am calorie counting, so everything is available for me, and I am a lot more satisfied and happy, and I can keep at it as I dont deny myself anything, and since October, I have lost 40lbs. You have to find the right number of calories per day to be effective at your weight loss efforts - too low, and hunger will drive you from it. Too high, and you wont see the losses at a rate that makes you feel like you are accomplishing your goals, and you will be discouraged. I hover between 1000 and 1200, and for me, that works, because of my height and weight, and because I have mobility issues which restrict the amount of activity I can engage in, and I have a pretty sedentary job. I also think of those calories as money, and I want to spend that money on the best possible product I can, and not waste it on gas station convenience store items!! So I have eliminated most junk food, concentrate on good quality fruit and veg, protein and yes, even "good" carbs, like whole wheat and grains, instead of anything processed or artificial. I cook every night, so I control the quality of the ingredients that I am eating, and control the portion size. When eating out, I look up the menu of the place on the internet, and then decide before I get there what I am going to order, so I can calculate the amount of calories or "money" I am going to spend. I have even had a rough weekend when the only meal I could access was McDonalds, but with their on line nutrition information, I was able to stick to the budget!
    I hear you when you say that you just want to lose weight, but it really is more than that. Its not easy to hear, but your life has to change so that food and your degree of happiness are no longer linked. Cake wont make your problems go away. Three cheeseburgers wont get you a better job. A bag of potato chips wont make your partner care about you any more (or less). You are far more than the sum of what you eat.
    I really think the suggestion by a previous poster to go see a nutritionist or a dietitian is excellent. A personalized program based on your individual characteristics is far better than relying on the latest edition of People magazine to tell you what to do. Even all the diet books out there can be off the mark, especially when you know that even Kardashians are writing books - and people are buying them!!!
    Good luck, and I hope you find your "sweet spot"!!
  • pierson_lauren
    pierson_lauren Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    You need to find an eating plan that makes you happy, is sustainable, and achieves the weight loss you are looking for. I have done the lo carb route and was happy with it for awhile but missed fruit and veg, so it wasnt sustainable for me. Right now, I am calorie counting, so everything is available for me, and I am a lot more satisfied and happy, and I can keep at it as I dont deny myself anything, and since October, I have lost 40lbs. You have to find the right number of calories per day to be effective at your weight loss efforts - too low, and hunger will drive you from it. Too high, and you wont see the losses at a rate that makes you feel like you are accomplishing your goals, and you will be discouraged. I hover between 1000 and 1200, and for me, that works, because of my height and weight, and because I have mobility issues which restrict the amount of activity I can engage in, and I have a pretty sedentary job. I also think of those calories as money, and I want to spend that money on the best possible product I can, and not waste it on gas station convenience store items!! So I have eliminated most junk food, concentrate on good quality fruit and veg, protein and yes, even "good" carbs, like whole wheat and grains, instead of anything processed or artificial. I cook every night, so I control the quality of the ingredients that I am eating, and control the portion size. When eating out, I look up the menu of the place on the internet, and then decide before I get there what I am going to order, so I can calculate the amount of calories or "money" I am going to spend. I have even had a rough weekend when the only meal I could access was McDonalds, but with their on line nutrition information, I was able to stick to the budget!
    I hear you when you say that you just want to lose weight, but it really is more than that. Its not easy to hear, but your life has to change so that food and your degree of happiness are no longer linked. Cake wont make your problems go away. Three cheeseburgers wont get you a better job. A bag of potato chips wont make your partner care about you any more (or less). You are far more than the sum of what you eat.
    I really think the suggestion by a previous poster to go see a nutritionist or a dietitian is excellent. A personalized program based on your individual characteristics is far better than relying on the latest edition of People magazine to tell you what to do. Even all the diet books out there can be off the mark, especially when you know that even Kardashians are writing books - and people are buying them!!!

Good luck, and I hope you find your "sweet spot"!!

This is truly what I needed to hear and I thank you for that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2016
    Options

Whether you drink a grande Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino with extra whipping cream or you eat a bowl of brown rice, it all gets broken down into the simple form of glucose one way or another.

So in that sense, a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate because the end product is all the same.

As I said earlier, the only real difference is in how those carbs are “packaged up”.

I saw what you said but it's not true. Fiber, sugar alcohols, resistant starch, for example, may be just chains of sugar but they are not (or only partially) broken down into glucose by the body. They are very different from other carbs when it comes to calories regardless of the package.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I saw what you said but it's not true. Fiber, sugar alcohols, resistant starch, for example, may be just chains of sugar but they are not (or only partially) broken down into glucose by the body. They are very different from other carbs when it comes to calories regardless of the package.

That is only because we can't properly digest them.
  • jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OP, are you "dying" mentally or physically? If you legitimately feel tired/sick/etc., you might want to add carbs back and see if you feel better. It could be that eating low-carb is not the way to go for you. There's nothing wrong with that. Carbs are not the devil. Many people can eat high-carb and lose weight successfully without feeling hungry all the time. Personally, I cannot eat a lot of carbs unless I want to be bloated, hangry, and experiencing binge cravings all the time. That's why I eat low carb. It works for me. If carbs do not affect you this way, there's no reason not to eat them, IMO.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That is only because we can't properly digest them.

Correct. It's like calorie free food!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    No I am not diabetic. And I know I know but when you have everyone around you say no no no eat veggies and hard boiled eggs and all that which is fine I like those.. idk I just want to lose weight so bad I guess I listen to the majority..

You need to educate yourself. Your body needs carbs to be healthy. Your brain needs carbs to be healthy! Losing weight is about moderation and eating in a way that is sustainable FOR LIFE. You can't and shouldn't completely eliminate any foods or food groups. Do you track your macros on MFP? Mine are 40% carbs every day.

I agree with educating yourself but the rest is not entirely correct. Your body and brain do not require you to eat carbs. The brain, and a few other organs require some glucose to function. In most people, glucose is made from carbohydrate consumption but glucose can also be created from protein. It can be healthy to eat low carb and have the body create the glucose it needs so the blood does not get elevated levels of blood glucose, especially in those with health problems related to insulin resistance.

Often restricting foods is quite healthy. Very few people eliminate a food group unless there is a health reason for it (like dairy) in which case that is usually a healthier way for that person to eat. The exception to this would be most vegetarians and vegans who eliminate a food group for reasons that are not always about health.

My carbs are about 5% everyday, and it's really helped my health and made losing weight easy. Lower carb can work very well for some people.

I'm going to point out something though. Complex carbohydrates are important in brain development and the release of seratonin, that feel good chemical that staves off depression and feeling in the dumpsand also studies have proven that eliminating them from a diet can been linked to alzheimers and dementia. There are carbs in almost everything. Portioning out your carbs and opting to reduce the amount you eat while staying within a calorie goal is helpful to some. Please please please make sure your source is reputable. Ask a nutritionist or your doctor or nurse practitioner before you believe something and follow their advice. While there is tonnes of great advice out there, be sure its safe and right for you. Everything in moderation. You shouldnt have to give up on something you enjoy unless its for a medical reason. That can lead to binging when you give into your cravings. Good luck on your journey.
    I've read the opposite.... and experienced the opposite.

What you are saying could be true for others.

You have read and experienced the opposite; from what sources? Not to get into a huge debate. I'm always interested in literature on the subject as it in within my field of work and I have read a lot of research on this topic as a nurse working with the mentally ill and elderly.

I honestly don't remember what books I have read this in. Sorry.

For my own experiences I have no proof. I felt elevated mood, more energy, and improved cognitive function and memory. My inflammation is also lower which results in less pain and feeling healthier which also contributes to a good mood. My blood glucose is also more stable. My reactive hypoglycemia is a moot point so I don't get ups and down of energy and brain function; things are steady. Those old ups and downs of energy did a number on my mood.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    No I am not diabetic. And I know I know but when you have everyone around you say no no no eat veggies and hard boiled eggs and all that which is fine I like those.. idk I just want to lose weight so bad I guess I listen to the majority..

You need to educate yourself. Your body needs carbs to be healthy. Your brain needs carbs to be healthy! Losing weight is about moderation and eating in a way that is sustainable FOR LIFE. You can't and shouldn't completely eliminate any foods or food groups. Do you track your macros on MFP? Mine are 40% carbs every day.

I agree with educating yourself but the rest is not entirely correct. Your body and brain do not require you to eat carbs. The brain, and a few other organs require some glucose to function. In most people, glucose is made from carbohydrate consumption but glucose can also be created from protein. It can be healthy to eat low carb and have the body create the glucose it needs so the blood does not get elevated levels of blood glucose, especially in those with health problems related to insulin resistance.

Often restricting foods is quite healthy. Very few people eliminate a food group unless there is a health reason for it (like dairy) in which case that is usually a healthier way for that person to eat. The exception to this would be most vegetarians and vegans who eliminate a food group for reasons that are not always about health.

My carbs are about 5% everyday, and it's really helped my health and made losing weight easy. Lower carb can work very well for some people.

I'm going to point out something though. Complex carbohydrates are important in brain development and the release of seratonin, that feel good chemical that staves off depression and feeling in the dumpsand also studies have proven that eliminating them from a diet can been linked to alzheimers and dementia. There are carbs in almost everything. Portioning out your carbs and opting to reduce the amount you eat while staying within a calorie goal is helpful to some. Please please please make sure your source is reputable. Ask a nutritionist or your doctor or nurse practitioner before you believe something and follow their advice. While there is tonnes of great advice out there, be sure its safe and right for you. Everything in moderation. You shouldnt have to give up on something you enjoy unless its for a medical reason. That can lead to binging when you give into your cravings. Good luck on your journey.

You have read and experienced the opposite; from what sources? Not to get into a huge debate. I'm always interested in literature on the subject as it in within my field of work and I have read a lot of research on this topic as a nurse working with the mentally ill and elderly.

I felt... improved cognitive function and memory.

These two sentences are incongruous. Perhaps you should eat more carbs.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I appear to need bread and pasta, otherwise I'm sad and hungry all the time. If I eat too many, tho, it just makes me hungry for more. Tricky balance.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I felt... improved cognitive function and memory.

These two sentences are incongruous. Perhaps you should eat more carbs.

You win the thread! Lol
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    9 Reasons You Don’t Need to Fear Healthy Carbs

http://authoritynutrition.com/9-reasons-not-to-fear-carbs/
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Like with most things, the majority of people are clueless about nutrition. You don't need to eat "good food" or avoid "bad food" in order to lose weight. You just need to eat fewer calories than you burn. You mathematically cannot fail - if you aren't losing weight, you're either wrong about your calories in or your calories out.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Depending on the source, fiber and sugar alcohol are not counted as carbohydrates. I believe England and possibly all of Europe, do not list fiber as part of the carbohydrates on food labels.