The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @kristinegift Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon sale. I just ordered two Saucony shirts, 6 pairs of socks, a pair of shorts and a pair of leggings for $46. I should be ordering chemical standards for work, but, you know, priorities.

@lporter229 It's the least I could do to spread the joy :) Saucony keeps having ridiculous sales on Amazon lately. I don't know how they're even making money on this stuff. But they're my favorite brand, so I am not gonna complain!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Just joining the challenge today and wondering why I have never seen this group before. I am an avid runner and usually run at least 4-5 days per week. Last October 2015 I ran my first marathon! After a year full of training (ran my fastest half in May and then the full in October), I decided this year will be my year off from marathon training. I will do other races, just not a full. Running a full marathon was an awesome experience. I learned so much about myself and what I am capable of. It was very rewarding! But it took a ton of time to devout to training. I have 3 kids that keep me pretty busy so training was difficult at times.

This year I along with my usual running, weight training, etc. I decided to do a fitness bucket list item for each month. This month was cross country skiing... which I completed already and was tons of fun! I may throw a triathlon in there this year, still not sure on that one.

Glad to be in a community of running lovers!
    Elaine

Welcome @runner4life08 I am glad you found us. I have 2 marathons and a ton of halfs under my belt in the little over 2 years of running. Currently training to see if I can BQ for 2018.

@Elise4270 I would rather not anyone pay for my shirt. I may buy a couple for myself and a third one for my wife. So that would just get confusing. If anyone wants to thank me, I have a great idea. Let's find a super fun race in Tennesee, Kentucky, or southern Indiana (kind of right in the heart of the midwest and a drive away for me) and we all meet, then you can buy me all the drinks your hearts desire after we get done with the race. :-)

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05
    1/9 15 miles - 73.05
    1/10 REST DAY
    1/11 9.5 miles - 82.55
    1/12 11.15 miles - 93.7
    1/13 6.2 miles - 99.9

exercise.png
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1/01 - 4.7 walk/run treadmill
    1/02 - rest, did a half hour x-country ski
    1/03 - 4.5 walk/run treadmill
    1/04 - rest
    1/05 - 3.7+ (I shut off the treadmill during the run..oops)11 min steady run
    1/06 - rest
    1/07 - 4.4 ran all the run bits, first time. did two 10 min runs. felt awesome.
    1/08 - rest, went for a ski, beautiful sunny winter weather!
    1/09 - 4.5 ran all the run bits AGAIN
    1/10 - I was a sloth. Ate like I ran a marathon.
    1/11 - 4.5 third time i ran all the run bits, must make it true
    1/12 - rest
    1/13 - 4.5 zombies week6 w1. was challenging! but I ran all the run bits again :)

exercise.png

Treadmill runner for now, following zombies5k. Running at 180spm seems to be keeping the shin splints at bay.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @kristinegift Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon sale. I just ordered two Saucony shirts, 6 pairs of socks, a pair of shorts and a pair of leggings for $46. I should be ordering chemical standards for work, but, you know, priorities.

@lporter229 It's the least I could do to spread the joy :) Saucony keeps having ridiculous sales on Amazon lately. I don't know how they're even making money on this stuff. But they're my favorite brand, so I am not gonna complain!

ha ha I'm out on Amazon shopping too, thanks!
  • JrReds3806
    JrReds3806 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm new to the challenge and running in general. Gonna try 20 for the month and see how I do.

blk-exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@Elise4270 I would rather not anyone pay for my shirt. I may buy a couple for myself and a third one for my wife. So that would just get confusing. If anyone wants to thank me, I have a great idea. Let's find a super fun race in Tennesee, Kentucky, or southern Indiana (kind of right in the heart of the midwest and a drive away for me) and we all meet, then you can buy me all the drinks your hearts desire after we get done with the race. :-)

So down with that! I may or may not be in running shape (surgeries looming ahead). But I'll be there!

Pick a few you favor and let us know.

Too may to list here on HalfMarathons.com

• Elise4270
    Options
    @karllundy Sometimes I take my shoes outside in front of the neighbors and just smack the mud right off 'em over and over. After a run, I shove 'em in my trunk in a bag cuz they're dirty dirty little shoes.

karllundy wrote: »

I loves my running shoes! I might screw them, but I would never consider nailing them! They deserve better than that.

I just know my husband is gonna pop in and wonder wth? Just shoe jokes dear... Just shoe jokes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    JrReds3806 wrote: »
    I'm new to the challenge and running in general. Gonna try 20 for the month and see how I do.

blk-exercise.png

Hi,
    welcome. there is a wealth of knowledge here. i learn so much here
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    A picture from my run - it is days like this that I love California!

That is so totally gorgeous. A pity that I wind up running
    1) in middle Georgia, so a paucity of beautiful settings, and
    2) with my head mostly down to watch my footing.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else here use a fitbit (specifically the surge)? I am feeling a little discouraged because of how inaccurate it is.

I lived on my FitBit One since getting started on 14-Oct 2014, and was deeply devoted to it, working hard to get in my 10K steps/day. Used it 24 hours/day (sleep, etc.). I even went in and adjusted my stride length for both running and walking - spent an afternoon walking and running multiple times down my street (since I knew the length of it), counting and recounting my steps at each pace.

I got my Garmin vivoactive for Christmas, and was able to get it activated a couple days later. Almost immediately I noticed a discrepancy between the number of steps. I chalked it up to the fact that Fitbit had my "exact" stride length, while the Garmin just "calculated" it from my height.

Then I started looking online, and found that pretty much everyone has found that Garmin is MUCH more accurate, even without a stride length setting. Since then, I've abandoned the FitBit, and just let the Garmin do its thing.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not going to reach my goal this month. I have been going through an RA flare and the cold has just been too much on me. Last week I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and my knee ended up bothering me for a few days so I think the treadmill is out. I got out there for 3 miles on Monday and was so happy to be running outside again that I ran 2 yesterday and 4 today.
    exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @Virkati that Raptor dog is a beauty! I hope you have fun taking him on a trial buddy-run. I know what you mean about the lifestyle changes, though. Having a dog has meant adding in one more layer of complexity to an already complicated life, especially when it comes to travel. And because our dog is a rescue with a dicey past, we've also had to learn to deal with some *really* challenging behaviors as well.

Try having seven! We started out with just a pekingese and a mini german shepherd/husky mix. Rescued a second peke and another GSD (this one full blood and full sized). Lost our first rescue peke (she was about 15 when we rescued her and had heartworms) and rescued another to replace her.

Four was a little much, but doable. Over the past 2 years, we've added on three strays--a dachshund, a pit mix, and a malamute. Part of the joy of living in a rural area is that everyone dumps their unwanted dogs, and it's pretty much impossible to get them rehomed quickly. We always end up spending too much time trying to find the owners, then are too attached to give them away to a stranger.

They all get along, and we can afford to feed them and enjoy snuggling on the couch with them in the evenings. It just makes travel impossible, because I can't afford $200/day in boarding. :neutral:

Wow! I've never met a "crazy dog lady" in real life before! ;) I understand the sentiment though. We were in the process of actually rehoming our guy because he bit a neighbor child (in our home, the child was provoking the dog and I didn't see it) but the more I went to rescue events the more I realized that I couldn't give him away...and I was about to go home with a new dog at each event! And I *don't* live in the country!

Oh, and with that many dogs, I'm guessing a paid house-and-pet-sitter would be far less expensive than a kennel. :) I have teens who would give their eye teeth for a gig like that.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Does anyone else here use a fitbit (specifically the surge)? I am feeling a little discouraged because of how inaccurate it is.

I lived on my FitBit One since getting started on 14-Oct 2014, and was deeply devoted to it, working hard to get in my 10K steps/day. Used it 24 hours/day (sleep, etc.). I even went in and adjusted my stride length for both running and walking - spent an afternoon walking and running multiple times down my street (since I knew the length of it), counting and recounting my steps at each pace.

I got my Garmin vivoactive for Christmas, and was able to get it activated a couple days later. Almost immediately I noticed a discrepancy between the number of steps. I chalked it up to the fact that Fitbit had my "exact" stride length, while the Garmin just "calculated" it from my height.

Then I started looking online, and found that pretty much everyone has found that Garmin is MUCH more accurate, even without a stride length setting. Since then, I've abandoned the FitBit, and just let the Garmin do its thing.

Yeah, I'm not sure how accurate my Surge really is for step count. I know it misses a lot of steps because I tend to walk in short bursts while at work. I use the GPS feature for running, and it is always accurate. Lately I've been having a few issues with it giving me incorrect location data for the first 1/4-1/2 mile or so of my runs. Only happens when I start at work (downtown). Maybe the buildings or other activity nearby is messing with it. Who knows. The overall distance never seems to be affected much (maybe 0.1 miles total).

Speaking of running, I did a 7 mile pace run over lunch today. It took me 1:05:56 (1:05:42 moving time, according to Strava--had to stop and wait for a car that wasn't paying attention to pedestrians/crosswalks again). My brand new Nikes are now sitting at 99.7 miles. Already. :(

49.6/145.1 miles completed
  • Elise4270
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    I am definitely not going to reach my goal this month. I have been going through an RA flare and the cold has just been too much on me. Last week I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and my knee ended up bothering me for a few days so I think the treadmill is out. I got out there for 3 miles on Monday and was so happy to be running outside again that I ran 2 yesterday and 4 today.
    exercise.png

Don't worry, your not alone. Hope your flare doesn't last long..
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    January goal 70 miles

1/1 3.69
    1/2 4.15
    1/3 3.12
    1/4 rest
    1/5 3.31
    1/6 5.59
    1/7 rest
    1/8 3.00
    1/9 heavy duty yard work
    1/10 3.27
    1/11 3.38
    1/12 snorkel 3 hours: and as we were packing up, a whale spouted and surfaced just outside the reef. Great day!
    Longnosed Butterflyfish
    y6jkzj1dpaht.png

1/13 6.39

Total 35.9

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    11/13/16 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house. It was a beautiful, blustery day!
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. While running from Indominus Rex.
    1/5 3 @ 11:14 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/6 Rest Day and feeling fairly sore from yesterday's PT (and maybe Monday's run?)
    1/7 4.75 @ 11:53 on the park trail.
    1/8 3.5 @ 10:07 (3 at 9:48 and .5 at 12:00) plus strength training
    1/9 3.5 @ 12:22 (3 at 11:26, plus .5 at a walk) loping around the neighborhood with St. Woolos the Barbarian, aka The Poopinest Dog in the East, aka Woogie the Worst Running Partner Ever. It's a good thing he's cute!
    (30/30 for the week)

1/10 Rest Day/Family Day
    1/11 10.75 at 11:46 around the park trails. My heart was light, but my legs felt every centimeter of the last two miles. "Gently rolling terrain" feels a lot like "stinking big hills" after 100 minutes or so...
    1/12 3.25 @ 11:27 on the treadmill. Plus strength training.
    1/13 Rest Day due to dental work...revising the weekly goal down a little, since I won't have quite as much time on my "regular" rest day to make up for this one.
    (14/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 14: Run Your Heart Out 5K, Fairfax, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL
    March 6: Reston 10-miler, Reston, VA
    March 12: Lucky Leprechaun 5K, Reston, VA

exercise.png

• jenmacy
    jenmacy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Focusing a lot on cross country skiing this month as I have a few events coming up; however, going to shoot for 75km of running.

exercise.png
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Newbie welcome to @fernsilvera

@7lenny7: Cool gear.
    @MorningGhost14: Love the Fun Run slogan. Wisconsin is a fair piece from Ohio though. And I just realized what bothers me about your ticker…why is that dude WALKING when he has a perfectly ridable camel? :p
    @ceciliaslater: Sucks about the shin.
    @jenmurphy3: I am working toward my first half marathon as well. If you’re able to do 15 minutes of running (even if it’s slow paced) without a stop, a 5K is probably already in your grasp (particularly if you use the run/walk method from C25K). I had reached a peak of 12 miles before wimping out (I didn’t want to make myself run in the cold last year) still doing run/walk method last year. Good luck!
    @kateparry84: I’ll second what WhatMeRunning said and add: If it helps you, think in terms of “time spent running” instead of “How fast am I running?”. I’ve observed that pace has kind of taken care of itself as my overall slow pace running has gradually sped up as my overall runs increased in length. My slow was once 16 min/mile and is now more like 11:50-12:10/mile. I’m only just now starting to do any kind of interval/speedwork from the half marathon training.

The “shoe screwing” thread: I bet that’s what that chick meant when she said she was “into leather”. ;)

Jan 1: When the run started it was still the 1st..so I'm counting it here. 6.59 cold night miles, slow, around 12:40/mile.
    Jan 2: REST DAY
    Jan 3: First “official” training day for the HM and first snowfall of the year (on a run day at least). 3.51 miles. Some fast intervals mixed in with slower paced runs. 12:10 average pace, fastest split was mile 2 (11:29).
    Jan 4: Wimped out 
    Jan 5: Ice in my ‘stache at the end of the run…that’s new. 3.2 miles this morning
    Jan 6: Went an extra .5 before I took my first (brief) walk break. 5.05 miles avg. pace around 12:11
    Jan 7: REST DAY. Plan on some walking and weights.
    Jan 8: Wimped out 
    Jan 9: Beautiful running weather..50 degrees this morning in Central Ohio! Easy 6.2 miles but every step SUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKED! 12:08 average pace. A little over 1/3 of the way to month’s goal. #betterrunnexttime #ohwellatleastIdidit
    Jan 10: Sick..no run
    Jan 11: Feeling slightly better..we’ll see if I feel up to a run after work. UPDATE: Decided I might be pushing it since it was still pretty cold (around 3 degrees with wind chill) so I’m going to give it one more day
    Jan 12: Big snowfall so I couldn’t do run in the morning (needed to leave a lot earlier for morning commute), planning on run tonight. EDIT: Finally got back out there. I didn’t really do winter running last year and this was the first truly cold day (actual in the teens, single digits with wind chill). I’m not sure if it’s all a “mental thing” but it felt a LOT harder..not just the “man it’s cold, I want to go get warm” part of it (that faded away after the first half mile or so once I started to get feeling back in my fingers) but it was harder to keep a good pace. I’ve decided I’ll need to add a ski mask to my winter running apparel. My “slow” pace is usually somewhere around the high 11s to low 12/mile and it was around a 13:30 tonight..and at times it felt like it was a “hard” pace. Is this a common thing for first-time winter runners? Forgot to turn off my wi-fi connectivity so I think when I ran past the Burger King I grabbed their wi-fi for a sec because suddenly a billion Facebook notifications came in and froze up my RunKeeper so my run was cut shorter than I wanted. (I was doing an interval program and had no idea how to make it restart at a specific point.) I guess I’ll remember tomorrow 3.92 miles
    Jan 13: Single digit temps this morning, hoping to get the run in tonight.

exercise.png
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Winter means
    • Colder Weather
    • Less Sunlight
    • Fewer RUNS

January
    In it for 50

exercise.png
    • 05 - 4.9mi Rain Run
    • 09 - 9.1
    • 11 - 7.3
    • 13 - 5.1 Rain Run

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif

@GBrady43068, "into leather"..good one! ;)