The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You can handle that easily. Do it. You would be nuts if you didn't. :) Why settle for 3.1 when you know you have the opportunity to pound a 10?

Reminds self not to take advice from crazy people...especially not the little voice in my head that says "hey! 10 should be easy after 13!"
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Uh, not me. After my first half, 3.1 would have been good. But that's just me. You should have a good feel for it during your training, after a race pace longer run.

@5BeautifuDays - I would say it depends on your running history and weekly mileage. After my first HM I gave myself two weeks of recovery and then tried a long run (10 miles in fact was my long at the time) and wound up with some foot pain that left me sidelined for a month. After healing up and then training for a HM series that next fall however I ran HM's on back to back weekends. I wound;t hesitate now to do 12 miles on back to back weekends, and if my weekly mileage was not at the low point it is now I could also do back to back 12 mile long run days (did that over the summer). So it is a judgement call. You should know what you are capable of, and if you are anywhere near thinking you can do it, you almost certainly can. If it seems really intimidating, then use your best judgement.

So, I'm just increasing my miles from 25 to 30 per week. By February, I'm hoping to be closer to 35 miles per week. My long run has been between 8-9 miles for a month and this week I ran 10. I plan to run at least 10 every week until February, when I hope to get one 12-13 miler in before the race. It's a Disney race, so I doubt I'll go "all out" for speed, since I'll want to enjoy the character photos and such. It's also my first half, so *anything* will be a PR, lol. :)

All that to say I haven't been doing any of this long enough to know how my body will respond. I think that's good reason to sign up for the (more popular) 5K and if I'm feeling awesome, add the 10-miler at the last minute.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have been avoiding joining the group until I get a better handle on what my January mileage will be, but I missed you guys, so i figured I would go ahead and chime in. After taking the total slacker approach to running during the month of December, I was sooo looking forward to renewing my commitment with vigor and energy. Until I woke up on New Years day with, not a hangover, but a dog gone respiratory infection! I have been battling it since. I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he said it's a virus that has been going around so it just has to run its course, no antibiotic help. He said that it's been taking on average 10-14 days for people to beat it, but I am on immunosuppressants, so it's likely to take longer. I have finally become smart enough in my old age to know that I should not push it, so I have been walking nightly on the treadmill and living vicariously through you all. You have all been doing an amazing job! I'm counting the days until I can join in again!!!

@lporter229 You and me toots! I have the same thing I think. Saw the doc on Monday, he was on the fence about whether it would develop into bronchitis (my body's "go-to" when it's respiratory) so I started Amoxicillin that day. It hasn't helped. I took a walk days ago. Took me over 30 minutes to hit the mile mark. Been pretty much laid up the whole time. I hope you're feeling better soon.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you're already able to do a 10 miler every week and plan to increase volume and longest distances before your half, then I think you'll be fine doing a half one weekend and 10 the next.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Reminds self not to take advice from crazy people...especially not the little voice in my head that says "hey! 10 should be easy after 13!"

Now hold on a minute, who are you calling crazy?
    severloal17.gif

So, I'm just increasing my miles from 25 to 30 per week. By February, I'm hoping to be closer to 35 miles per week. My long run has been between 8-9 miles for a month and this week I ran 10. I plan to run at least 10 every week until February, when I hope to get one 12-13 miler in before the race. It's a Disney race, so I doubt I'll go "all out" for speed, since I'll want to enjoy the character photos and such. It's also my first half, so *anything* will be a PR, lol. :)

All that to say I haven't been doing any of this long enough to know how my body will respond. I think that's good reason to sign up for the (more popular) 5K and if I'm feeling awesome, add the 10-miler at the last minute.

First off, great attitude. First HM, you should take it easy and anything indeed would be a PR.
    Second: Yes, if you have no idea how you will feel afterwards then yeah, you may want to be conservative.
    A 5K 3 weeks afterwards should be a walk in a park, and plenty of time to recover.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Welcome back! I hope you are feeling up to snuff sooner than later!

@skippygirlsmom Those races are so late! I never did track but all my friends who did would get home at 11 pm from a meet that started at, like, 4. They loathed it. My dad is trying to convince my brother not to do track this spring because he hates going to the meets because they take so long, just to watch my brother run for about 2-7 minutes, depending on the race!

@5BeautifulDays I think a HM followed by a 10 miler the next week (or two weeks later? I don't recall) would be fine. But I'm a glutton for punishment, so don't take my word for it! I'm the kind of person who runs 10 miles the day before a HM just to make it extra tough (I did that and then ended up PR'ing by 9.5 minutes though, so apparently it was a good strategy!).

And thanks to the two of you who commented on my two a days and called them inspiring or something. Inspiring, maybe... borderline nuts? That's more like it. ;) But I love my rest days, y'all!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    And thanks to the two of you who commented on my two a days and called them inspiring or something. Inspiring, maybe... borderline nuts? That's more like it. ;) But I love my rest days, y'all!

I will be joining you on those 2-a days pretty soon. I need to build back up to close where I was before RCM and then add the 2 a days.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 3.5 miles on treadmill
    1/2 - Nada :|
    1/3 - 3.75 miles on treadmill + weights
    1/4 - First day back to office / school...had to stay home to get kids moving and ready.
    1/5 - 4 miles on treadmill + 4.65 miles on stationary bike
    1/6 - 4.5 miles on indoor track followed by an extended stretching session.
    1/7 - Sick / rest day - not sick enough to stay home for the day, but didn't want to push it for a run :/

@Stoshew71 - That schedule is fantastic! Gutsy, but fabulous!
    @skippygirlsmom - I would have to nap just to stay and watch a race at 8:30 pm.

Have a great day all!
  • kristinegift
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I will be joining you on those 2-a days pretty soon. I need to build back up to close where I was before RCM and then add the 2 a days.

Our mileage is freakishly similar. If we didn't live hundreds of miles apart, I think I'd force you to let me be your training buddy!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Newbie welcomes to @Gallaghergirl11 @lrizzzle @W0nderGiirl @health_guard @Lench0902 @placidegirl @cheriesanta
    Welcome back to @baldielove13

@runner_girl83: Congrats on notching the 5K under 30:00

@patrikc333: No swearing usually but I favor moonlight runs because I can get away with acting stupid…like rapping along with LL when “Mama Said Knock You Out” comes up on the playlist or the occasional “Rocky” air punch. There’s nobody around usually to see me do any of that stuff that time of day. The swearing usually happens when I get up the day AFTER the run. :p

@Elise4270: Ain’t nothing wrong with a good murder ballad. Country music was built on ‘em.

@MorningGhost14- Another thank you for posting the crepes recipe…I’ll give it a spin in the coming weeks.

@moyer566: This is why runners are “different”. Your honeymoon might “interfere” with a race..LOL.

Jan 1: When the run started it was still the 1st..so I'm counting it here.
    6.59 cold night miles, slow, around 12:40/mile.
    Jan 2: REST DAY
    Jan 3: First “official” training day for the HM and first snowfall of the year (on a run day at least). 3.51 miles. Some fast intervals mixed in with slower paced runs. 12:10 average pace, fastest split was mile 2 (11:29).
    Jan 4: Wimped out :(
    Jan 5: Ice in my ‘stache at the end of the run…that’s new. 3.2 miles this morning
    Jan 6: Went an extra .5 before I took my first (brief) walk break. 5.05 miles avg. pace around 12:11
    Jan 7: REST DAY. Plan on some walking and weights.

exercise.png
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 5k
    3/1 - 7k
    5/1 - 1k walk ( well it all counts :) )
    6/1 - 3k
    7/1 - 2.5k

Still all treadmill, starting to want to get outside....

18.5/80

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Our mileage is freakishly similar. If we didn't live hundreds of miles apart, I think I'd force you to let me be your training buddy!

twisting my arm are ya?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    ...you who commented on my two a days and called them inspiring or something. Inspiring, maybe... borderline nuts? That's more like it. ;) But I love my rest days, y'all!
    I would say both. I tried two a days last year and was just not ready for that kind of punishment yet. I find it inspiring and hope to someday be able to be punish myself as much as the really crazy people!
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Today it was a little harder to get myself out of bed, but I did it! Today was just an easy 3.2 miles and some strength training. I couldn't really do many lunges though because my quads just screamed whenever I tried to lunge. Hopefully after I get into a rhythm that will lessen. I really want to run outside during the week days but I'm too afraid to run in the dark and I'm worried that one of those head lamps will just bother me while I'm running. Our streets are pretty dark because there's not many street lamps in the area where I'm running. What does everyone here do when it comes to running in the dark?

I have a 5K coming up in March, super excited to see results of this training regime.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift the good thing about Skip being on Varsity is their outdoor (Spring) track season runs on Saturdays. When she ran JV I hated it, like you said meets were like an hour away and her second race (800m) was always like 9:00. Heck in 8th grade she was still going to bed at 8:30 ha ha. Downfall to Saturday meets is they start at 8:00 and you'll still be there at 3:00...again it's the 1600m at 9:00 and 800m at 2:30 that kills me.

LOL @karllundy I'm with you, I'll be asleep in the stands. Her friend is running the 3200, 800 and 1600, no thanks.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    What does everyone here do when it comes to running in the dark?

I run on back county roads very early in the morning so it almost always pitch black. I wear this: https://www.noxgear.com/
    I also wear a headlamp. It doesn't bother me at all. I call it my roadkill light because it keeps me from stepping in it and from becoming it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I really want to run outside during the week days but I'm too afraid to run in the dark and I'm worried that one of those head lamps will just bother me while I'm running. Our streets are pretty dark because there's not many street lamps in the area where I'm running. What does everyone here do when it comes to running in the dark?

I wear something reflective and wear a red flashing light on my wrist. Unlike MorningGhost14 I don't run on any "major" streets I run through my neighborhood so I don't worry much about cars or road kill. Though there was this poor bunny one time ugh! Many here run with lights on their hats and say they don't bother them at all. If I'm running at night somewhere I'm not familiar, I'll take a small $2.00 flashlight with me. Keep this in mind, neon and reflective are not the same thing. Just because it's bright doesn't mean it will be seen.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @KatEmmaMarie I have flashing LED shoelaces that i have around a reflective vest, i have a hate with LEDs on it too, and reflective armbands that i wear on my legs. and many of my clothes have reflective details including the headband
  • kristinegift
    Options
    Today it was a little harder to get myself out of bed, but I did it! Today was just an easy 3.2 miles and some strength training. I couldn't really do many lunges though because my quads just screamed whenever I tried to lunge. Hopefully after I get into a rhythm that will lessen. I really want to run outside during the week days but I'm too afraid to run in the dark and I'm worried that one of those head lamps will just bother me while I'm running. Our streets are pretty dark because there's not many street lamps in the area where I'm running. What does everyone here do when it comes to running in the dark?

Streetlights around here are quite sparse as well. I had a headlamp, but it wasn't very bright and I didn't really like it being ON my head so I was wearing it on a hat with a brim, but I think that lessened the brightness even more. I try to make sure that at least I am visible to cars; I have a reflective vest (Amazon link here!) and I try to make sure that if I am not wearing that (if the sun will be up within 20 mins of me heading out) I at least wear bright colors. I also have lights that I'll attach to the vest to make myself super visible, which I like to do when I run in the evening and drivers are likely to be distracted coming home from work and there's a high volume of traffic.
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Okay so last month didn't happen because of my hip injury. That was crappy. So I am not setting a goal for this month just going to try and get out there every now and then. Hip pain dependent. Otherwise I'm going to cross train as much as I can.

So thus far I have 5k which I ran today and felt pretty good.
    Monday Jan 4 - went surfing for 1 hour and 30 minutes
    Tuesday Jan 5 - went swimming laps for 50 minutes.
    Wednesday Jan 6 - worked my wonderful 12 hour shift.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Remus42 wrote: »
    Okay so last month didn't happen because of my hip injury. That was crappy. So I am not setting a goal for this month just going to try and get out there every now and then. Hip pain dependent. Otherwise I'm going to cross train as much as I can.

So thus far I have 5k which I ran today and felt pretty good.
    Monday Jan 4 - went surfing for 1 hour and 30 minutes
    Tuesday Jan 5 - went swimming laps for 50 minutes.
    Wednesday Jan 6 - worked my wonderful 12 hour shift.

Welcome back @Remus42 and sorry about the hip. I hope it gets better.