The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    There were also a few cries to Jesus even tho I didn't actually want to communicate to Him at the time.
    LOL!!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @snha - Like @5BeautifulDays I can't tell when my shoes are worn from just looking at them. I was actually comparing a pair with 350 miles that I suspect gave me some mild issues last week with a pair with just over 250 miles, and a newer pair with less than 50 miles. They pretty much all looked the same to me. It's not the first time I've compared older pair that start giving me trouble and every time it's the same result. They still look fairly new on the bottom. Now the toe box on the other hand, there you can see a really big difference!

@5BeautifuDays - I would say it depends on your running history and weekly mileage. After my first HM I gave myself two weeks of recovery and then tried a long run (10 miles in fact was my long at the time) and wound up with some foot pain that left me sidelined for a month. After healing up and then training for a HM series that next fall however I ran HM's on back to back weekends. I wound;t hesitate now to do 12 miles on back to back weekends, and if my weekly mileage was not at the low point it is now I could also do back to back 12 mile long run days (did that over the summer). So it is a judgement call. You should know what you are capable of, and if you are anywhere near thinking you can do it, you almost certainly can. If it seems really intimidating, then use your best judgement.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @5beautifuldays I think you might be right about the shoes. I am due a new one any way, if only for vanity :)
    @virkati I’m really sorry you feel sick. get better soon!

1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.

exercise.png
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

I'm mad late posting this, but I'm in for 100 miles again. I was 10 miles shy of it last month. I haven't been able to get to 100 miles since August, but I'm gonna go for it again this month. I'm at 28 so far.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The rain and 38 degree weather was not bad at all. Granted it was a lighter shower than a downpour with 9 mph winds. So could have been worse. A long sleeve UA ColdGear shirt and Nike Pro Combat leggings (and a hat) served just fine.

I got a pain in my foot at the 2.25 mile mark into my 4 mile tempo run. It was a precise pain top of left foot on the inner side and seemed to coincide with my stride. After a bit I slowed down to see if it went away, it stayed the same. So I stopped and walked for a bit to try and shake it off. I got a little worried because it was not going away. So I started running at an easy pace just to get home. At the 3 mile mark however it felt better so I picked the pace back up for the final mile.

Just realized the pair of shoes I wore today have enough mileage to start considering retirement. That means I am retiring 2 pairs at once. I need new shoes! I know, first world problems, right? Can't wait to get me some new shoes.

1/1 - 2.25 miles
    1/3 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - 6.5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles

16.85 of 50 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks all on the watch issue. I'm going to keep better track in case it happens again. I figured if it lost info it would be earlier times, not random stuff here and there. Strange. thanks!

On the cussing issue, which is cracking me up, I must admit to the ability to cuss like a sailor and have done probably more than my share while running....or watching Skip play soccer. Okay I'm hanging my head in shame on that one.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I got a pain in my foot at the 2.25 mile mark into my 4 mile tempo run. It was a precise pain top of left foot on the inner side and seemed to coincide with my stride.

Can't wait to get me some new shoes.

Might be extensor tendonitis? Shoes, and snug laces may be the cause.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    ... my boyfriend about the time he was cheering me on near the finish line of a very windy and cold 15K last spring, and I accidentally flipped him off. I honestly intended to give him a very sarcastic thumbs up, but my brain decided to do otherwise without my knowledge. Oops.
    @instantmartian too funny, Lol'd at that one

1/01 - 4.7 walk/run treadmill
    1/02 - rest, did a half hour x-country ski
    1/03 - 4.5 walk/run treadmill
    1/04 - rest
    1/05 - 3.7+ (I shut off the treadmill during the run..oops)11 min steady run
    1/06 - rest
    1/07 - 4.4 ran all the run bits, first time. did two 10 min runs. felt awesome.

exercise.png

Treadmill runner for now, following zombies5k. Running at 180spm seems to be keeping the shin splints at bay.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png
    A bit better this morning...
    That is running shorts weather! :tongue:

Uh, only if that's Celsius! Or you're @MorningGhost14 :o
    I wear pants for anything below freezing, and a long sleeve shirt once it gets below 40. I am tempted to try shorts in 25+ though. Maybe next time. But that's what I said last time too. :smiley: Remember SonicDeathMonkey? He wore shorts in all sorts of crazy cold weather and thought all of us pants-wearers were nuts.

Yeah, but he also stops for McDonald's breakfast right in the middle of a marathon. ;-)

Still my favorite thing read about a marathon ever!!! I thought he was taking a bathroom break, nope he got hungry. Gotta love him.

Hahaha I thought this was a joke! Wow! Don't know how anyone can stomach that in the middle of a mara!! :open_mouth:

True story you can see the line on his garmin map heading into the McDonald's and back out the other side.

I found it. LOL It was actually the Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon (HM).
    https://www.strava.com/activities/292277092

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52

exercise.png
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the get better wishes everyone. They kicked me out of work today. I had taken Monday and Tuesday sick, went in yesterday and made it thru the day but 2.5 hours in today they sent me home. I don't even remember the last time I was so sick. I've never lost this much time at work but thankfully I've got lots of sick time saved up. Keep running everybody. I'll be joining soon I hope :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png

I wear pants for anything below freezing, and a long sleeve shirt once it gets below 40. I am tempted to try shorts in 25+ though. Maybe next time. But that's what I said last time too. :smiley: Remember SonicDeathMonkey? He wore shorts in all sorts of crazy cold weather and thought all of us pants-wearers were nuts.

Yeah, but he also stops for McDonald's breakfast right in the middle of a marathon. ;-)

Still my favorite thing read about a marathon ever!!! I thought he was taking a bathroom break, nope he got hungry. Gotta love him.

Hahaha I thought this was a joke! Wow! Don't know how anyone can stomach that in the middle of a mara!! :open_mouth:

True story you can see the line on his garmin map heading into the McDonald's and back out the other side.

a half? not even a full. lol

smh.gif
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png

smh.gif

Hey, it was almost 9 months ago, I forgot. I thought it was a full. LOL

yXiYQHM.gif
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Oh...a question! Would I be nuts to sign up for a 10-miler 2 weeks after my half? If I don't do that, there's a 5K 3 weeks after I'm going to sign up for.

I did my first HM on November 7th, then turned around and signed up for another HM that was running 2 weeks later (November 22nd or 23rd, I don't remember exactly). I didn't have any trouble doing both, despite not following a training plan (at the time, I was running one day a week--a progressively longer run every Sunday, to be exact). My longest run pre-HM was 14 miles.

For the record, I finished my 2nd HM 4 seconds slower than my 1st (2:10:58 vs 2:10:54). If I can do it, you can do it! Of course, if your body is screaming otherwise, you should probably listen to it and ignore my "sage" advice...

I just did my 7 mile run over lunch with nary a twinge from the old tailbone. Ok, if I'm being totally honest, it was a little sore when I first started out, but it went away after a half mile or so. My inner left ankle is giving me fits again. I swear, it's like every 3rd run that I feel pain there. Really don't understand it. Still blaming that 11 mile treadmill run, since that's when it first started, but I wish it would either consistently hurt or not hurt at all. It's minor, so I'm still just running through it. I may consider going to the doctor if it persists, but he'll probably just tell me to stop running again. Didn't listen to him the first time; don't want to waste $100 just to ignore his advice again.

BTW--The reason he told me I shouldn't run (or do step aerobics, or insanity, or most other exercises) is because I apparently broke my left ankle several years ago and didn't know it. I thought it was just a bad twist or sprain, so I didn't go to the doctor (broke college student at the time) and limped around on it until it got better. Poor healing has caused damage to the ligaments in my ankle, so it's weak and rolls easily, plus I get random pain/swelling flare-ups from exercise, even when I don't feel myself step wrong or anything. I decided I'd rather deal with the occasional pain and the possibility of needing surgery in the future than be a lazy fat blob...

I'm now at 19/145.1 miles for the month.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have been avoiding joining the group until I get a better handle on what my January mileage will be, but I missed you guys, so i figured I would go ahead and chime in. After taking the total slacker approach to running during the month of December, I was sooo looking forward to renewing my commitment with vigor and energy. Until I woke up on New Years day with, not a hangover, but a dog gone respiratory infection! I have been battling it since. I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he said it's a virus that has been going around so it just has to run its course, no antibiotic help. He said that it's been taking on average 10-14 days for people to beat it, but I am on immunosuppressants, so it's likely to take longer. I have finally become smart enough in my old age to know that I should not push it, so I have been walking nightly on the treadmill and living vicariously through you all. You have all been doing an amazing job! I'm counting the days until I can join in again!!!
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh...a question! Would I be nuts to sign up for a 10-miler 2 weeks after my half? If I don't do that, there's a 5K 3 weeks after I'm going to sign up for.

If that is nuts, then what would you call 4 HM's in back-to-back-to-back-toback weekends?

Sunday, March 29, 2015
    Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon
    https://www.strava.com/activities/276244252

Saturday, April 4, 2015
    Oak Barrel HM 2015
    https://www.strava.com/activities/280283359

Sunday, April 12, 2015
    Bridge Street Half Marathon 2015
    https://www.strava.com/activities/284392038

Saturday, April 18, 2015
    GA Peach Jam HM
    https://www.strava.com/activities/289081148
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png

smh.gif

Hey, it was almost 9 months ago, I forgot. I thought it was a full. LOL

yXiYQHM.gif

I thought it was a full too since he ran like 100 of them last year.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have been avoiding joining the group until I get a better handle on what my January mileage will be, but I missed you guys, so i figured I would go ahead and chime in. After taking the total slacker approach to running during the month of December, I was sooo looking forward to renewing my commitment with vigor and energy. Until I woke up on New Years day with, not a hangover, but a dog gone respiratory infection! I have been battling it since. I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he said it's a virus that has been going around so it just has to run its course, no antibiotic help. He said that it's been taking on average 10-14 days for people to beat it, but I am on immunosuppressants, so it's likely to take longer. I have finally become smart enough in my old age to know that I should not push it, so I have been walking nightly on the treadmill and living vicariously through you all. You have all been doing an amazing job! I'm counting the days until I can join in again!!!

Get well and come back strong. We will still be here!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Whoa there is some running going to happen in Alabama this weekend, Skip is in a track meet that has OVER 2500 runners entered. Once they realized that was insane they broke the meet in two based on Section so larger schools will start at 2:00 pm and smaller schools will run earlier. Yeah sleep later!!! Skip will run the 800m at 6:30 and the 1600m at 8:30 pm. This will be Skip waiting for her races.

88w1b1koqbjt.jpg

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Poor Skip. I am sure she will do fine tho.