5/1: 5km done!
    9/1: 16km done!
    11/1: 8km done!

Total: 46km
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Jan 6 - 1 km

Damn I wish it was more, but hopefully soon!

I went to the physio today, who seemed to think my sore left hip muscles weren't too serious, thank Baphomet.

She gave me some daily exercises to do, and did a tendonoscopy (tendoscopy?) which was basically manipulating the muscle & tendon in my hip and back (where it's linked).

I think I made her day, because she said a few times she was happy to see someone who was here due to love of exercise and visiting early on in the injury. :)

I'm feeling a lot more positive and hope it won't be long before I'm back running. I think I'll wait till Saturday's parkrun to give it a go again, to be on the safe side.
  • LisaBristow71
    LisaBristow71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new and determined to get fitter and lose the excess this year - going for 40 miles this month

exercise.png

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    2 miles today, that's 13.5 overall. I'm happy with that :)
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    3/1 6.7 miles
    6/1 6.5 miles
    9/1 3.1 miles
    10/1 8.7 miles - longest run so far!

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    29/5 Edinburgh HM
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new and determined to get fitter and lose the excess this year - going for 40 miles this month

exercise.png

Welcome!
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    All, thanks for your song lists!
    @bitsinator congrats on your 5mile run.
    @Stoshew71 thanks for the t-shirts—done!
    @skippygirlsmom amazing, congrats for Skip!
    @Becky_44 I think it’s great that you’re getting back on track. Awesome. I will congratulate you again in January 2017? :)
    @rune1990 i agree with @MobyCrap, that’s the very advice I got for running in winter. i actually benefited hugely from a few web discussions about what to wear in cold weather. I like this interactive tool from runner’s world: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear it’s been spot on for me!

1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.
    1/9 6.11 —nice group run while snowing lightly!
    1/10 crosstraining—elliptical

32.05/70

@snha I'll look forward to it!!
    Sidenote: @MobyCarp linked up as Mobycrap in your typo, apparently someone exists on MFP with that use name ha!
  • dominichoran
    dominichoran Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Full house last weekopw7qjvkm06d.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning Have you done the Garmin half before? I tried to talk my husband into doing it last year. He figured there wouldn't be anything else to do in Kansas. I have no races planned in April and was still considering it. Should be a flat fast course?

@Elise4270 there is LOTS to do in KC! Number for me, is eating barbecue! Maybe catch a Royals game, visit Country Club Plaza, the Hallmark visitors center, the farmers market at the City Market (one of the best I've been to), Union Station, catch some blues music. I used to live there and there is a lot about it that I miss.

That all sounds enticing. I may be able to sell it. The half will be a month after the RNR half.. I bet I could do it. @WhatMeRunning I don't mind the weather. We are in Oklahoma, so its probably not much different than what we are use too. I keep thinking about Dorothy and Toto, we're they out on a run? :astonished:
    :lol: I missed the clue that you were asking what there is to do in Kansas. There is plenty to do here in the KC area, no worries there.

As for Dorothy and Toto being out on the run, I saw several Dorothy's at last years event but I do not recall seeing Toto. Lot's of Wicked Witches though. Between miles 2 and 4 I passed a Dorothy dress on the side of the road so apparently she's a streaker. Also saw a couple brooms on the side of the road, maybe they ran out of gas or something.

Go figure, a Wizard of Oz themed run has weather issues.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    1/8: Rest day
    1/9: 12.2 miles with the Saturday crew
    1/10: 5 miles
    1/11: 5.8 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew

Early (for me) morning run with the Joe to Go run, sponsored by the store I do my Thursday evening runs with and a local coffee chain. Met at 6 am in the dark and the cold and the wind (though since it was still 30 degrees, I shouldn't complain!) for a ~3 mile loop and picked up a couple more people for a second 3 mile loop. And afterward: HOT COFFEE. Which no one took "to go," and we all sat around for about 45 minutes chatting and thawing out instead.

@7lenny7 Great job getting out and running in the cold this weekend! You are a trooper. I'd have hit a treadmill and called it a day. That's much too cold for me!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-Rest day
    2-Flare/rest day
    3-13.13mi The first six had me convinced i was going to turn around. the rest was nice.
    4-rest day
    5-pain day :(
    6-3.23 mi. it looked slow but i ran fartlek-esque, but still had to avoid ice flows.
    7-6.46 mi it was fun. I pushed hard. I'm glad my heart monitor works again.
    8-rest day
    9-4.75 mi on treadmill.
    10-rest day
    11-too cold and icey. -7 is just too cold even me

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to catch up later today. Haven't been on since Thursday and have ~9 pages...go everyone!

1/1 - 3.5 miles on treadmill
    1/2 - Nada :|
    1/3 - 3.75 miles on treadmill + weights
    1/4 - First day back to office / school...had to stay home to get kids moving and ready.
    1/5 - 4 miles on treadmill + 4.65 miles on stationary bike
    1/6 - 4.5 miles on indoor track followed by an extended stretching session.
    1/7 - Sick / rest day - not sick enough to stay home for the day, but didn't want to push it for a run :/
    1/8 - Another sick / rest day.
    1/9 - 4.1 miles on treadmill
    1/10 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    1/11 - 4 miles on treadmill

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Made me laugh!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Given the interest/popularity of Disney, I figure I'd share my full race report - apologies for the length.

Disney marathon - surviving the humidity in 3:29:08

As I lay in bed still recovering from yesterday's Disney marathon, I figure I'd pen the requisite race report. Coming off of a 1:32 half marathon and 40 minute 10k in the past two months, I had been eyeing a performance that squeezed under the Boston qualifier mark (3:10), or at least the Chicago guaranteed entry mark (of 3:15), but things didn't go as planned and I'll have to wait until my next race to reach either.

I'm still not sure what to make of the race, as I didn't do a great job with some elements I could control (pacing, weight), nor did the weather cooperate much. Regardless, my finish time of 3:29:08 was a personal record, knocking about 15 minutes off my Pittsburgh marathon performance from last May, and I finished 221st out of a field of 20,000 finishers who had to deal with the same elements.

Prep

Going into the race, my training had peaked at about 60 miles/week, although I had only run two 20-mile training runs vs. my usual 4. Still, my plan involved 2 days/week of speedwork which helped me get faster. From my training, I had been running most runs about 1-1.5 minutes/mile faster at the same heart rate as last year, so I was pretty optimistic about my improving fitness. Unfortunately, despite wanting to get down to 155lb for the race, too many holiday meals with friends reeked havoc on that goal, and by the time I finished my pre-race carb & liquid plan, I was weighing in before the race at 165lb, almost 4lb above my half marathon & 10K weights.

Pre-Race

After finally getting up at 4AM in my hotel room in Orlando from an abbreviated prior night's sleep (due to some football playoff watching), I drove to the course, arriving in the Epcot lot at 4:45, and made it to corral B up front about 20 minutes before the anthem after a 30 minute slow saunter with fellow marathoners.

Having checked the forecast, I noticed that the race morning was supposed to be unseasonably warm (65-70 degrees vs. averages of 50), and pretty humid (95% for the first 2 hours of race), with a light wind. From this forecast and all of my Florida running, I knew I'd needed to adjust my pace, and pay more attention to how I was reacting. Still, I didn't quite know how much, but had mentally erased the possibility of qualifying for Boston, and built a heart rate plan for my garmin watch to help notify me if I was pushing too hard. According to weather data, at the actual start, it was actually 70 degrees with 99% humidity. Luckily, it didn't get warmer as the race progressed, and by the finish, the humidity had dropped into the 80s.

The start

When my corral (B) was released 2 minutes after the first around 5:30AM, I took off for my 26.5 mile trek through the happiest place on earth. Despite having cruised to a 7:00/mile pace at a 170 heart rate (90% of my max) at my half marathon in November, after a few minutes of slogging through the 99% humidity, I found that the same level of exertion was putting me at a 7:40 pace by the end of my first mile. It was at that point I decided against my better judgement to just try to hold on and hope that I'd magically become more fit and would be able to sustain that pace for 26.2 miles. For reference, I ran the first half of my prior marathon (Pittsburgh from May 2015) at 160 BPM and completed it with even splits and a barely sustainable pace by the end.

Mile 1 - 7:38, avg HR 160 BPM (started at 60, crept up to 170)

Miles 2-6 - Road to the Magical Kingdom

Although the marathon wound its way through all 5 parks (Disney, Animal Kingdom, Wild World of Sports, Hollywood Studios, then Epcot), surprisingly about 2/3 of the mileage is just on roads between each park, as the parks themselves are relatively compact. As a result, it was roughly mile 5 by the time I entered the Magic Kingdom. I didn't do too much passing as Disney is pretty good with corral management, but I noticed that my shirt was drenched by the mile 3 marker from the humid air and my heart rate at my continued pace wasn't going down. Still, like the first 6 miles of any marathon, they felt pretty easy so I decided against pulling back on my 7:40/mile pace.

Once I reached the magic kingdom a bit after 6AM, my bib got me in the door without needing pay $120 for a 1 day pass, and I wove for about a mile through the illuminated park, including the middle of the well lit iconic Sleeping Beauty castle while resisting the opportunity to jump off course for pictures with all of the characters cheering us on.

2 - 7:34 169 HR
    3 - 7:44 167 HR
    4 - 7:44 169 HR
    5 - 7:38 171 HR
    6 - 7:33 172 HR

Miles 7-11 - Back on the road

By mile 7, we were back out of the park, heading down to the Animal Kingdom along the winding roads. Still, the organizers were nice enough to put in more character photo opportunities along the way and a quick chat with a fellow runner revealed a potential training buddy who lives about 2 miles from me. The pace still felt pretty easy at that point, but I noticed I was working a touch harder. The sun finally made its way up around mile 10, as we wound our way through a few steeply banked roads and highway exits towards Animal Kingdom.

7 - 7:40 170 HR
    8 - 7:35 170 HR
    9 - 7:49 168 HR
    10 - 7:34 170 HR
    11 - 7:27 172 HR

Miles 12-16 - Animal Kingdom and Beyond

Upon being greeted at the back entry to Animal Kingdom by a bunch of roadside sheep on leashes around mile 12, we entered the park, and did a very short tour up and down a few small artificial rolling grades. Unfortunately, as I was focused on running the tangents along the small rolling grades and narrow turns, I didn't observe a single animal despite the obvious odor.

It was probably around this point that I noticed I was straddling the level of effort where I get side stitch/stomach area cramps, compounded by my ingestion of gu gels every 3-4 miles.

As we exited the park after half a mile, I passed the half-marathon marker feeling ok, crossing it at a 1:40:25 split, but definitely wasn't as fresh as I had felt at my prior marathon's halfway mark in May.

As I continued down the inter-park highway towards the wide world of sports along miles 13-16 the dreaded mid/late marathon sensation kicked in as time passed much more slowly, and my legs started getting sore. Still, I pushed at the same pace knowing what was coming up even though I was reaching my lactic threshold heart rate.

12 - 7:29 173 HR
    13 - 7:42 172 HR
    14 - 7:32 173 HR
    15 - 7:38 173 HR
    16 - 7:45 174 HR

Miles 17-20 - Wide World of Sports

I'm not sure how to best describe the Wide World of Sports complex other than that it is filled with sports fields, tracks, lots of baseball training diamonds (Braves sprint training/minor leagues), and a great baseball stadium. The path wove us through all of it, as we finally got to do a reasonable chunk of non-road running both around a track, around the baseball stadium field (with a grandstand filled with bands & fans) and along the facility. Although the crowd support here was great, it was in this complex of athleticism that I started to get punished for my too-fast start.

I managed to hold my pace for mile 17, but it slowly crept up to an 8 minute/mile at mile 18, which I was able to hold on to for three miles. Still, at this point, although I didn't muscularly bonk, my energy output just wasn't getting me as far, and as I exited the park back onto the road at mile 20, I noticed I was running out of gas with 10K of racing to go. Also, at this point, I must have stopped running the tangents as well, as the mile markers seemed to instantly move further and further away from where my watch said they should be.

17 - 7:48 172 HR
    18 - 8:00 172 HR
    19 - 7:58 173 HR
    20 - 8:07 172 HR

Final Fight - Hollywood Studios and Epcot - Miles 21-26

It was around mile 21, that back on the intra-park highways my body started revolting, as I was both running out of steam, my legs started tensing up, and the daylight started to take its toll on my body. As the pain settled in, my body just couldn't maintain its pace, and I had to fight like crazy to keep up an 8:30 pace as I wound through Hollywood Studios then the final mile through Epcot. Unlike my last marathon where I had enough in the tank to sustain my pace as my heart rate creeped up to 95% of its max over my last few miles, I just ran out of steam and started to crash here. Still, I was getting closer to the end, and survived these miles without totally blowing up as I passed a bunch of faster runners who were cramping up and walking their last few miles.

As the finish line snuck up on me as I wound through the end of epcot, I pushed my last 1/2 mile at an 8 pace, and paid the price as my legs totally gave out after crossing the finish. I managed to waive off 4 different medical personnel who came up to help at various points as I hobbled through the chute back to the meeting point, during which muscles in my legs cramped up that I didn't know existed. Luckily, I found a place to sit for a few minutes, then met up with a neighbor who drove me home in my car, and I've been spending the rest of the day in bed recovering.

21 - 8:30 170 HR
    22 - 8:31 168 HR
    23 - 8:31 168 HR
    24 - 8:37 166 HR
    25 - 8:46 167 HR
    26 - 8:39 168 HR
    26.48 - 7:51 172 HR

Total time: 3:29:08, 7:54/mile (watch), 7:59/mile (official - dividing by 26.2 miles)
    Finish: 221/19,838 overall, 190/9,523 males, 36/1,637 in men 35-39

All in all, Disney wasn't a bad marathon as I didn't completely blow up in the end, I PRed by 15 minutes, but I definitely learned where not to over-push my pacing, and probably suffered much more than I needed to given the result. If I want to make it down to 3:13 to qualify for Boston after I move to the 40-44 age group in October, I think the 16 minutes can realistically be saved with a cooler race (as last year's 221st place finisher was 12 minutes faster), smarter pacing, a few more 20 mile training runs, and a few more pounds off my mid-section.

Overall, the crowd support was OK, and it was nice running in a full marathon with 20,000 participants, but the park rules & layout led to some pretty long stretches without support, and the course was more oriented towards runners who wanted to pose for pictures with their favorite Disney characters.

Next races:
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - April
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Ironman Florida - November

tjy70v4cfy4k.jpg
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ @skippygirlsmom @kristinegift @moyer566

Thanks for all the responses! I bought a couple of reflective bands to wear and I also found a headlamp that had good reviews (not too heavy and not cheap). So I will see how that goes. I should be getting everything in a few days.

This weekend I got in a 3.8mile run on Saturday and I did 5 miles on Sunday.
    Today is a rest/strength/stretch day and I got my yoga dvds on Saturday so I am super excited to try them out tonight.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning Have you done the Garmin half before? I tried to talk my husband into doing it last year. He figured there wouldn't be anything else to do in Kansas. I have no races planned in April and was still considering it. Should be a flat fast course?

@Elise4270 there is LOTS to do in KC! Number for me, is eating barbecue! Maybe catch a Royals game, visit Country Club Plaza, the Hallmark visitors center, the farmers market at the City Market (one of the best I've been to), Union Station, catch some blues music. I used to live there and there is a lot about it that I miss.

That all sounds enticing. I may be able to sell it. The half will be a month after the RNR half.. I bet I could do it. @WhatMeRunning I don't mind the weather. We are in Oklahoma, so its probably not much different than what we are use too. I keep thinking about Dorothy and Toto, we're they out on a run? :astonished:
    :lol: I missed the clue that you were asking what there is to do in Kansas. There is plenty to do here in the KC area, no worries there.

As for Dorothy and Toto being out on the run, I saw several Dorothy's at last years event but I do not recall seeing Toto. Lot's of Wicked Witches though. Between miles 2 and 4 I passed a Dorothy dress on the side of the road so apparently she's a streaker. Also saw a couple brooms on the side of the road, maybe they ran out of gas or something.

Ah no worries. I have to convince the husband its worth a trip. I'm also waiting to see what the hip specialist has planned for me. I may not be doing much running in April.. Funny all the themes!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Jan (15 days to HM): 5.80 miles
    02-Jan (14 days to HM): 10.01 miles
    03-Jan (13 days to HM): <HM Training-mandated Rest Day>
    04-Jan (12 days to HM): 5.21 miles
    05-Jan (11 days to HM): 4.00 miles
    06-Jan (10 days to HM): 3.57 miles
    07-Jan (9 days to HM): 4.42 miles
    08-Jan (8 days to HM): 3.09 miles
    09-Jan (7 days to HM): 11.82 miles
    10-Jan (6 days to HM): <HM Training-mandated Rest Day>
    11-Jan (5 days to HM): 3.36 miles
    12-Jan (4 days to HM):
    13-Jan (3 days to HM):
    14-Jan (2 days to HM):
    15-Jan (1 days to HM):
    16-Jan (Museum of Aviation HM):
    17-Jan: <Life Day>
    18-Jan:
    19-Jan:
    20-Jan:
    21-Jan:
    22-Jan:
    23-Jan:
    24-Jan: <Life Day>
    25-Jan:
    26-Jan:
    27-Jan:
    28-Jan:
    29-Jan:
    30-Jan:
    31-Jan: <Life Day>

Upcoming Races:
    16-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins, GA
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 5K or 10K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Finally able to start running...yay! I did my run on the treadmill yesterday because it was cold and even though the respiratory infection is finally clearing up, I really didn't think I should push it. But it still felt great to get some miles in. With the late start to the month, I am going to shoot for 100 miles. Might be a bit ambitious, but maybe it will motivate me. I thought the ticker bar was appropriate. That is me running towards spring!

Congrats to all who raced this weekend. @Ohhim -Nice job @ Disney. I can't imagine running an entire marathon in 98% humidity! @skippygirlsmom -Congrats to her on her qualifying races!

exercise.png
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Super slow start to the new year. But at least I've started now!

January Running Totals (km)

1/1
    1/2
    1/3
    1/4
    1/5
    1/6
    1/7
    1/8
    1/9
    1/10- 1.61
    1/11