The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 - From the not so scientific perspective, it sounds like your very first interval made you faster (new 5k record). I set a 10k PR yesterday on an interval run. I have heard quite a number of people comment on finishing their HM or even marathons faster overall by interspersing walking with running. Granted, outside of just these results, a mix of training is going to help develop more neuromuscular energy systems than only doing one type of running.

Love the not-so-scientific answer too, thanks @WhatMeRunning :smile: Just wondered if it was because you use different muscle groups.. or the same but stress them more so they fire up easier.. or something like that anyway :lol:

Also.. Should I have a rest day after interval/speed training run? Or would it be okay to go out and do a few km's if I feel fine?
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14
    @skippygirlsmom
    Omg I felt some love, thank you! I could never leave you guys! I find this thread to be the most uplifting, supportive one on the entire website. I'm just rescinding my original goal because I'm feeling a lot of pressure from myself that I haven't done ANYTHING so far this month and I'm so sick, I don't see meeting that goal as possible without setting myself up for injury. To let off the pressure, I'm releasing the original goal. As soon as I feel like I can take a step and stay upright I'm back at it! I'll need to reorganize and modify my training plan too but I'm not going to do that until I know for sure I'm better.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/01 - 10 miles
    02/01 - 10.4 km
    03/01 - 10.4 km
    04/01 - 10.3 km
    05/01 - 12.5 km
    06/01 - 12.5 km

tot 72/500 km

definitely not a good run this morning

foot ok

but foggy, couldn't see anything and lamp was blinding me somehow with the fog

milk man will prob run me over sooner or later

hip ok for 45 mins, then started to annoy me, and that played with my mind this morning, demotivating me

the funniest thing is that I think I got an allergic reaction to new socks (not running socks) and I've also got a super itchy foot now

let's see tomorrow
  • Virkati
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I am officially rescinding my goal of 60 miles this month and putting any further projections on hold until I have the energy to do more than simply look out the window and yearn. :'(

Don't leave us though.... I can't speak for everyone, but I have times when I struggle with lack of desire, depression, no motivation, injury, monkey-brain, lack of sleep, time limitations, relationship demands... but I have gotten to the point where I almost enjoy those battles... Barring injury, I find the ugly, tedious, painful runs are the ones that benefit me the most. Injuries spiral me into black depressions which is why I work hard at staying as light and as strong as possible to aid me in running injury free. Hang in there, sweetie... you ARE a RUNNER and you have miles to go before you sleep....[/quote]

@MorningGhost14 I think I love you!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    01/01 - 10 miles
    02/01 - 10.4 km
    03/01 - 10.4 km
    04/01 - 10.3 km
    05/01 - 12.5 km
    06/01 - 12.5 km

tot 72/500 km

definitely not a good run this morning

foot ok

but foggy, couldn't see anything and lamp was blinding me somehow with the fog

milk man will prob run me over sooner or later

hip ok for 45 mins, then started to annoy me, and that played with my mind this morning, demotivating me

the funniest thing is that I think I got an allergic reaction to new socks (not running socks) and I've also got a super itchy foot now

let's see tomorrow

You should change your screen name to "Lucky"...
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So funny! But, really, a mob of Kangaroos? Wow!
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    michable wrote: »
    Nature out in force this morning. A cyclist stopped me to warn about a snake on the path (I didn't see it when I went through, but I was looking out for it), and a mob of kangaroos behind the golf club.
    THAT is not something ever said in the states lol

http://www.hark.com/clips/jlsnqcffls-that-kangaroo-stole-my-ball

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YGQjMKNQE#t=262

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

You should change your screen name to "Lucky"...

how many people here do swear loudly when running? :D

I do take advantage of the early morning quiet to, let's say, express my disappointment

it's not a good period, but that means that a better one is coming (easy to say now laying on the sofa, I won't be of the same mood tomorrow at 5am in the cold/rain with a hip falling off B) )
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Virkati - Definitely take the advice above and keep hanging around. I have had life/work get in the way of posting here a couple times and could not wait to get back at any of those times. This place is good therapy when you can't run, in my opinion.
  • Irizzzle
    Irizzzle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In for 30 miles

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 !!! As always, you've explained it so it's easy to understand! :smile: Cheers!!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png
    A bit better this morning...
    That is running shorts weather! :tongue:

Uh, only if that's Celsius! Or you're @MorningGhost14 :o
    I wear pants for anything below freezing, and a long sleeve shirt once it gets below 40. I am tempted to try shorts in 25+ though. Maybe next time. But that's what I said last time too. :smiley: Remember SonicDeathMonkey? He wore shorts in all sorts of crazy cold weather and thought all of us pants-wearers were nuts.

Yeah, but he also stops for McDonald's breakfast right in the middle of a marathon. ;-)

Still my favorite thing read about a marathon ever!!! I thought he was taking a bathroom break, nope he got hungry. Gotta love him.

Hahaha I thought this was a joke! Wow! Don't know how anyone can stomach that in the middle of a mara!! :open_mouth:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    it's not a good period, but that means that a better one is coming (easy to say now laying on the sofa, I won't be of the same mood tomorrow at 5am in the cold/rain with a hip falling off B) )

lol you poor thing!! That's how I felt when I hurt my ankle... It's the most frustrating feeling!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »

@kristinegift thanks as always. See my response above to @whatmerunning. I thought the pain is a bad sign, but then, would you think it’s not too serious because the pain disappeared in a few hours of icing?

If it goes away before your next run, it is probably just a fluke. I've certainly had my fair share of those! So that's what I'd be telling myself, at least, were I in your shoes. I am always an injury optimist until I am proven dramatically wrong by my body.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I am officially rescinding my goal of 60 miles this month and putting any further projections on hold until I have the energy to do more than simply look out the window and yearn. :'(

I am sorry. I must have missed something. Are you ok? Anyway I can help?

As other's have already said, please don't leave us.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 !!! As always, you've explained it so it's easy to understand! :smile: Cheers!!

My pleasure. :-)
    Also.. Should I have a rest day after interval/speed training run? Or would it be okay to go out and do a few km's if I feel fine?

I usually do a recovery run (slower pace than my easier run) the day after my more harder workouts. It's up to you (and your body) whether you do a complete rest or a recovery run the very next day. Just make sure you manage your weekly mileage so you are not increasing too much too fast overall.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I think I'll go for 15 miles this month. It's probably the lowest one here, but now that I'm not in sports, and haven't been for a while, it's been a long time since I've run.

Every so often I feel it necessary to share this with the group, especially since we have so many newbies this month. BLUF: so many of us started small.

11-17-14-dont-compare.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Every so often I feel it necessary to share this with the group, especially since we have so many newbies this month. BLUF: so many of us started small.

11-17-14-dont-compare.png[/quote]

I so agree with this. I know I am only on chapter 2 and I look at what others are doing as future chapters.
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the warm "welcomes". You guys are a crazy bunch! I enjoy reading and scrolling through these pages and trying to get to know all of you ( and trying to keep it all straight in my head!!)

@afrench050612 – your new is exciting! I’m so happy for YOU! Your story really inspires me – that you’ve come so far in only 10 months! I have wanted to be a runner for the past 2 years and appreciate your story! Congrats on your news!

Running goal for January: 20 miles
    01/01 - 1 mile
    01/03 - 2 miles
    01/06 - 1 mile
    total so far this month: 4 miles

Mrs_Hoffer please fr me again, my MFP is acting up and when I accepted you it gave me a bunch of codes and deleted you. So glad you're running and my story helped!
  • Virkati
    Options
    Not leaving! Just pulled back from the mileage goal for this month. Been too sick to do anything at all. Never meant to give the impression that I was leaving. This group means way too much to me
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    how many people here do swear loudly when running? :D
    What the eff you talking about? Lol... I exercise the full limits/depths of my potty mouth on most of my runs... most of it centers on MF-ing myself for being such a pu$$y...