The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    January Goal—will try for 140 km, half marathon Feb 7 and I’m behind in my training

1/6—3.89 km or so…first run after being sick…still congested and a bit sick
    1/7—3.40 km—still feeling icky so keeping it short. Just ran around my complex
    1/8—5.29 km..about to kill my lungs. Sick of the congestion
    1/9—5.01 km
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Goal: 100km

1st 5k treadmill
    2nd 5k park run
    3rd 12k run
    4th 5k walk
    5th gym
    6th 7k run
    7th rest
    8th gym
    9th 5k park run

Total 39km

Did park run this morning with my MFP buddy as usual we had lots of fun. Hoping to get a PB however won't find out official time till later on this arvo. Although think I have missed out on getting under 30min by a few seconds. Oh well there's always next time.

Happy running everyone
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    If that is nuts, then what would you call 4 HM's in back-to-back-to-back-toback weekends?

The difference between us is that you call HM distances "Tuesday", lol!
    I did my first HM on November 7th, then turned around and signed up for another HM that was running 2 weeks later (November 22nd or 23rd, I don't remember exactly). I didn't have any trouble doing both, despite not following a training plan (at the time, I was running one day a week--a progressively longer run every Sunday, to be exact). My longest run pre-HM was 14 miles.
    @5BeautifulDays I think a HM followed by a 10 miler the next week (or two weeks later? I don't recall) would be fine. But I'm a glutton for punishment, so don't take my word for it! I'm the kind of person who runs 10 miles the day before a HM just to make it extra tough (I did that and then ended up PR'ing by 9.5 minutes though, so apparently it was a good strategy!).

The more I think about it, unless I fall injured, I can't think of any reason why I couldn't *run* 10 miles after a 13-miler. I might not be able to effectively race both distances, but I can decide that the morning of. The events themselves are fun, and maybe I just plan to treat the 10-miler like a training run if I'm feeling any lingering effects from the HM. And maybe next year, I'll do the Glass Slipper Challenge (a 10K on Saturday followed by the half on Sunday). And the year after that...maybe the marathon? LOL

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 Congrats on the 5K pr! I am insanely jealous and tempted to try a sub-30 tomorrow just to see if I can do it (I also need to weight train, so we'll see...).

Oh...a question! Would I be nuts to sign up for a 10-miler 2 weeks after my half? If I don't do that, there's a 5K 3 weeks after I'm going to sign up for.

Did you do it? :smiley: I didn't mean to have a fast run yesterday .... I am meant to be running a virtual 10k tomorrow which I hope won't be too impacted by yesterday's faster run :lol: but I'm really happy I decided to go for the run and smash the sub 30 min!

I say do the 10-miler! Thats about 16km.. That's a great distance! I am going to be doing similar things this year.. I feel a little cray-cray :grimace: but if I know if the HM's are too much I can always do a 10km instead.. If all else fails!

I did! With the caveat that I was on a treadmill...I did 3 miles in 29:25!! That's the fastest I've ever gone...I did .25 miles at 6.5 mph. Very exciting. One weird thing, though, was that my knees felt a little loose or wobbly or something--like they were moving too much--by the end. No pain, but it was an odd feeling.

1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house. It was a beautiful, blustery day!
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. While running from Indominus Rex.
    1/5 3 @ 11:14 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/6 Rest Day and feeling fairly sore from yesterday's PT (and maybe Monday's run?)
    1/7 4.75 @ 11:53 on the park trail.
    1/8 3.5 @ 10:07 (3 at 9:48 and .5 at 12:00) plus strength training
    (26.5/30 miles for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL
    March 6: Reston 10-miler, Reston, VA
    March 12: Lucky Leprechaun 5K, Reston, VA

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If that is nuts, then what would you call 4 HM's in back-to-back-to-back-toback weekends?

The difference between us is that you call HM distances "Tuesday", lol!
    I did my first HM on November 7th, then turned around and signed up for another HM that was running 2 weeks later (November 22nd or 23rd, I don't remember exactly). I didn't have any trouble doing both, despite not following a training plan (at the time, I was running one day a week--a progressively longer run every Sunday, to be exact). My longest run pre-HM was 14 miles.
    @5BeautifulDays I think a HM followed by a 10 miler the next week (or two weeks later? I don't recall) would be fine. But I'm a glutton for punishment, so don't take my word for it! I'm the kind of person who runs 10 miles the day before a HM just to make it extra tough (I did that and then ended up PR'ing by 9.5 minutes though, so apparently it was a good strategy!).

The more I think about it, unless I fall injured, I can't think of any reason why I couldn't *run* 10 miles after a 13-miler. I might not be able to effectively race both distances, but I can decide that the morning of. The events themselves are fun, and maybe I just plan to treat the 10-miler like a training run if I'm feeling any lingering effects from the HM. And maybe next year, I'll do the Glass Slipper Challenge (a 10K on Saturday followed by the half on Sunday). And the year after that...maybe the marathon? LOL

That sounds like a beautiful progression to me!!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    1 Jan 13.4 km
    2 Jan Rest
    3 Jan 6.3 km
    4 Jan 5.4 km
    5 Jan Rest
    6 Jan 8.3 km
    7 Jan 5.3 km
    8 Jan Rest
    9 Jan 15.3 km

Total: 54/150 km

All my training is slow and easy because increasing mileage for my first marathon in July.

exercise.png

As for music that motivates me, or gets me running fast, I have a few notables, including:
    Seasons - Future Islands
    Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend
    Standing in the Ocean - Calling all Cars
    Feel so close - Calvin Harris
    Dog days are over - Florence and the Machine (from the album "Lungs", and the song includes the lyrics "run fast for your mother, run fast for your father, run for your children, for your sisters and brothers" - I wonder if Florence is a runner?)

Also punk music - Rise Against, Grenadiers, Jimmy Eat World, even Blink 182

And a couple of oldies I always find myself running faster to are:
    Footloose - Kenny Loggins
    Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf
    Ray of Light - Madonna

@Miffylou - you had a great week! Good luck with your parkrun time!

@runner_girl83 - congrats on your 5km PR! I cannot summon the energy these days to run that fast in training. I have a goal of doing a 25 min 5km, and I have asked my hubby to pace me so I can get it, but we haven't got around to it yet. It would be slow for him; I can just imagine him jogging along beside me offering me encouragement while I get mad at him for making me run so fast!
  • moremonica
    moremonica Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My goal for January is to slowly start back which is why I the 10 miles. I thought 10 miles would be a stretch for the month. I was so excited to run one mile straight on Wednesday. I couldn't believe that my knee held out. So I tried to run two miles today. And I did it! I am really excited to be running again.

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Update on the Group Shirts

11 people voted:
    Power Blue got 4.5 votes
    Columbia Blue 3
    Royal 2.5
    Power yellow 0
    Lime 3
    Power Orange 6

So far it is Power Blue and Power Orange.
    Please go to that link above and vote if you haven't already and are interested.
    So far, @Elise4270 is my central shipper unless @Virkati wants that job instead.
    I will need that person to PM their snail mail addy to me if you are interested in the job (free shipping to you).
    The more people who are interested in shirts, the less expensive they become.

Thank you!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Back from the doc for the second time. Changed meds to the asskicking antibiotics so hopefully in the next couple of days I'll be running and after modifying my training schedule again, I can get back on track!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @moremonica - Great work! Can I ask what the knee worries are? Recent or old injury? Just curious because I always had intermittent achey knees after a knee injury long ago. So I assumed I would never be a runner. Turned out I was wrong. I did get some aches early on from starting out a bit too tough. But after resting it that one time and then building up strength by the next year my knees were stronger than ever and never ache any more like they used to.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    January goal 70 miles

1/1 3.69
    1/2 4.15
    1/3 3.12
    1/4 rest
    1/5 3.31
    1/6 5.59
    1/7 rest
    1/8 3.00
    @Virkati Hope you are feeling better soon.
    @patrikc333 ....and you, too
    @skippygirlsmom "is he as big as he looks?"....yep, about 4" long. African Tree Snail: considered a nuisance, invasive species. Best wishes for Skip on this weekend's meet!

Total 22.86

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    11/13/16 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    January 2016
    02/1…13.02…easy...8'27 pace
    03/1…rest
    04/1…5.06…pram...8'40 pace
    05/1…rest
    06/1…5.01…easy...7'24 pace
    07/1…6.01…fast…5’47 pace
    08/1…rest
    09/1…10.02…New Yr Virtual 10K…1:11:58...7'10 pace

TOT: 39.12 km / 90 km

New Yr 10K - 1:11:58.. Not a PB but not far off it either (PB 1:06:44)... AND *drum roll** I got my first medal!

fgwd74vvlsxv.jpg

PB Times:
    1K – 5:31 (7/1/16)
    5K – 37:07 (6/1/16), 28:46 (7/1/16)
    10K – 1:06:44 (24/10/15)
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    I did! With the caveat that I was on a treadmill...I did 3 miles in 29:25!! That's the fastest I've ever gone...I did .25 miles at 6.5 mph. Very exciting. One weird thing, though, was that my knees felt a little loose or wobbly or something--like they were moving too much--by the end. No pain, but it was an odd feeling.

Wooohoooo!!!! You go girl!!!!!! Fantastic!! Knew you could smash it!! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    edited January 2016
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    so predictable.... awful run this morning, lot of pain from hip

so this is how it works for me: exeercising more, no painkillers = good runs; resting, painkillers, foam rolling, etc = awful run

wow wow wow

anyway, going to a sport clinic for a check up / massage on Sunday, hope to feel better, because frankly, I'm fed up

I do miss my routine, I'm annoyed about my latest performance, but I'm not crazy and I see the time to stop and do 0 miles coming

I really hope the Physiotherapist can shed some light on the cause and help!! :frowning: So sorry you are experiencing this pain and frustration! As for foam rolling.. I skip that altogether these days and just massage the inured area with my hand (usually my problem is tight and imbalanced calves which cause my shin spints).. If it's something to do with my feet I stand on the spikey ball for a few minutes and that fixes it.. I do a series of yoga stretches after a long run which works like a treat.. that and a lot of heel raises anyway! Sorry I can't offer much else though! Keep us all in the loop!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    moremonica wrote: »
    My goal for January is to slowly start back which is why I the 10 miles. I thought 10 miles would be a stretch for the month. I was so excited to run one mile straight on Wednesday. I couldn't believe that my knee held out. So I tried to run two miles today. And I did it! I am really excited to be running again.

Fantastic progress @moremonica !!!! :smiley: You are smashing that goal! Just keep having rest days between running days - It will help with recovery and also cut down chances of injury :smile:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks so much for organizing the shirts for us all! You're a gem!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Back from the doc for the second time. Changed meds to the asskicking antibiotics so hopefully in the next couple of days I'll be running and after modifying my training schedule again, I can get back on track!

We will be here cheering you on @Virkati ! :smile: Hope these work for you and you are fast on the mend now!
  • saraovoxo
    saraovoxo Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Did a 3K walk and a 4K run after on the same day. I'm going to add the walk in because it was an purposeful effort to do it! I'm still practicing on my runs and cant run non stop for a good amount of time yet. Hopefully by the end of this month will see some progress! January week 1: DONE.

Nike Plus App: Sara_Valle

exercise.png
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 look at you go! Congrats on your first medal!
    @Virkati feel better soon!
    @moremonica congrats on 2 miles today!