The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 , @WhatMeRunning , @MobyCarp and @Elise4270 are like getting all nerdy technical and mathematical and VO2 maxing and glyco-burning and fartleking....
    And I'm all like...

Hahahaha - laughing so hard while on my conference call and trying not to sound like it!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    01/04 2.74 mi
    TOTAL 2.74 mi
    GOAL 70.00 mi
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 - You are killing it today!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    For all my crazy cold weather running friends!
    iners2lcagh9.jpg

yaaasss.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Observed Max is 219. ;-)
    Holy crap! I had my HR that high once, but I think it involved hookers and cocaine...

Oh my goodness me. My monitor may short out from the coffee spewing.

Also, you are a crazy wildman to run at 3 degrees. My lungs burn something fierce and my asthma kicks in when I run in the 30s. I imagine I'd cough them up entirely if I ran outside in the single digits.
    All the fueling talk is helpful--I'm trying to practice what to do for my half in February. I normally run after a cup of coffee with protein powder, and then eat immediately after my run. I usually feel hungry around mile 7 on long runs (for me, this is around an hour and 15 minutes in to the run), but I normally just deal with it. (As an aside, I did 10 miles yesterday and *today* I am hungry enough to chew my arm off). During the half, though, I'll still have a long way to go at that point! I expect the half will take me at least 2:30. I'm also concerned that I won't have access to my normal coffee, since I'll be at Disney and the bus for the race will pick me up at like 3:30 am or something equally ungodly. I'm thinking about trying a protein bar for my next longer run to see if it sticks around longer than the powder in coffee. Are any of them more digestible for runners than others?
    @skippygirlsmom I love your inspirational quotes!
    @karllundy The boredom of the treadmill is what inspired me to try doing intervals like that. It really helps!

1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house. It was a beautiful, blustery day!
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. While running from Indominus Rex.
    1/5 3 @ 11:14 on the treadmill and strength training
    (18.25/30 miles for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

And also, I have to recommend against anyone following my advice simply because I don't always do things the sensible way. But I think all of this is outside of my "nonsensical stuff" and thus safe to share.

@whatmerunning and this ^^ is why we are friends ha ha! We are soul mates in doing the unsensible!

@morningghost14 you are killing me today! Glad you are back, your sense of humor has been missed. I can't believe that song is over 30 years old. I'm old!!

@shanaber love frozen man

Thanks @karllundy yeah it sucks big time.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - Something that just occurred to me after reading your reply. When it comes to your HM training (and your HM) one thing that I always felt in my early HM's was that I would lose a ton of energy and willpower at the 10 mile mark (given a 2:45ish pace). In my HM's I always hear others around me start chiming up around miles 9 or 10 about how they are at that point where they "hit the wall". So this was why I started refueling for my HM's.

Since doing full marathon training and running some of those however I do not believe it to be the case about "hitting the wall" at 10 miles any more. It was a mix of mental strength and physical. I had built up the physical strength to do HM's but that doesn't mean the last few miles were easy, and my brain was telling me it was "the wall". As that distance became more manageable though I no longer feel that way at mile 10. Now it is mile 16. That one is KILLER!!! At least for now. :smile:

That is not to say that you will not run low on glycogen somewhere between 2 and 3.5 hours of running. You will. Refueling helps to a small degree but the biggest help (just my personal opinion from personal experience) is simply more training. That makes those painful miles further and further out over time.

Again, just my opinion.

And also, I have to recommend against anyone following my advice simply because I don't always do things the sensible way. But I think all of this is outside of my "nonsensical stuff" and thus safe to share.

You also have to consider how your body feels when you are dealing with a lot of lactate (and H+ ions). A lot of people don't understand anaerobic caused fatigue and just associate this with weak muscles or energy crashes.

When your muscles fill up with lactate, the H+ ions really make those muscles very acidic. If you are working at a very hard pace, you will notice the effect really quick (the burn and immediate muscle fatigue). Very similar to when you do say 10 reps of bench presses and that 10th one is just about the fail level. Everything burns and your muscles are very weak. Stop, rest about 2 minutes, and you feel like that you can do at least 5 more. The fatigue is caused by the lactate and H+ ions. Now 5 hours later, everything feels tight and sore & that is related to DOMS which is something completely different.

But if you are running close to your aerobic limit for over an hour, you will feel lactate related fatigue. There is no Gu or drink that will help you. You have to manage you oxygen debt. Run too close to your lactic threshold for too long, and you will get lactate related fatigue. This is why you don't want to start out way too fast. And at the beginning of the race, it won't seem like it's too fast, it will just sneak up on you mid race.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71 , @WhatMeRunning , @MobyCarp and @Elise4270 are like getting all nerdy technical and mathematical and VO2 maxing and glyco-burning and fartleking....
    And I'm all like...

My work is blocking this video.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Your boss must hate 80's music. It's a Thomas Dolby video... lol
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    to all experienced runners. A question.

So, I ran for ten miles yesterday. It was somewhat slow, 8:45 pace. I had such a good time running. However, I had heel and achilles tightness and pain in both feet. I iced both most for the day. Pain was a 7 or an 8 for a few hours when I walk, but because of the icing (me thinks), my feet were very okay today. No effect that I can tell.

The question, is this a sign that I am overworking myself and my muscles? Or is that a normal reaction given the fact that's my longest run ever and that I only started running five months ago? Do other runners suffer the same when they push themselves? (my regular runs are 4-6 miles.)

I decided to cross-train, run one day and do elliptical the other. Is that a good remedy?
    Thanks!

Push yourself, and you start to feel it in your weakess link on the chain. Take an extra rest day and/or reduce your mileage this week, and see how it goes. If that does not help, then seek good professional medical attention from a runner friendly doctor or PT.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    You also have to consider how your body feels when you are dealing with a lot of lactate (and H+ ions)...
    I had not considered that. Could very well have been the case early on with my first few HM's and that "10 mile wall". I am learning now that the heart rates I had been using for my "zones" were off and my HR is definitely higher in each range so in the past I was actually running at easier effort than I should have been. So I'm not sure if that applied to these early HM's, but could very well have been.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day

Back to my normal schedule with Tuesdays off! Trying out double 2-a-days on Wed/Thurs this week to see if that is something that will be sustainable during training. I'd rather double up twice to maintain having 2 total recovery days, rather than have to squeeze in a 6th day of running during the week. I thought about doing some biking today for cross-training, but I am really so swamped with final papers, I ought to stay in, eat some hummus & carrots, and get some serious writing done. Ugh. Responsibilities.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)

• Stoshew71
    Options

Your boss must hate 80's music. It's a Thomas Dolby video... lol

Oh! LOL I just think it is vimeo in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj54WDbLj8M

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Science!!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/01 - 10 miles
    02/01 - 10.4 km
    03/01 - 10.4 km
    04/01 - 10.3 km
    05/01 - 12.5 km

tot 59/500 km

small improvements, so better mood, increased a bit the mileage today but I'm not going to do anything crazy this week, hope one HM on Sunday, but better to focus on the recovery

@Stoshew71
    it really does depend how I feel, with daylight I try to do my 10k at a fast pace, now that is impossible

then my 3 22k are: a flat one, a hilly one, and a mix one, so pace changes accordingly

@MorningGhost14
    I think everything is relative, and in the end is up to the body to decide how much to run. After lots of training, a very high mileage is not so "high" for a well trained runner. Obviously then injuries are part of the game, and it's up to the individual to manage them from both a mental and a physical point.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on all the miles so far! I was part of the challenge a couple months late last year but I haven't been able to log on MFP as much as I'd like so I haven't joined back in. I'm still at it, though, and in the midst of training for my first HM on March 5th. I also finished my first 12k a few weeks back and had a great experience with that.

Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone well this month - happy running!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    This New Year's was no different.. A promise to join a gym, lose weight, get strong, eat healthy... and now the excuses begin.

And this is why the gym owners & weight loss plans & supplement folks are rich. Anything where you buy everything up front at "such a great deal" price.

gym-new-years.jpg

newyears.jpg

resolutions-gym-and-bar1.jpg
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5

exercise.png

I just realized that I never added my run from this morning. Work kept side tracking me. lol

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 - omg I'm dying readings your posts and the video. We definitely missed you.
    @Stoshew71 -- I'm in on the club named Resolutions. I only go 2x a week to my trainer- first time is tomorrow and I'm curious to see how packed it is. ;)
    @Elise4270 - wow 219! EEEKS - that would scare me into slowing down! I noticed mine will shoot up for a couple seconds sometimes when I first take off but then it goes back to a decent range. I don't notice it until the end if I remember to look at what it shows happened.

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    6 Jan: 8.3 km run today; slow/easy. 7:49 min/km. Av HR 130; Max HR 138.

Nature out in force this morning. A cyclist stopped me to warn about a snake on the path (I didn't see it when I went through, but I was looking out for it), and a mob of kangaroos behind the golf club.

exercise.png