The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I can so relate and I know you all can too!

ffaj9jsewogw.jpg

I'm looking for quotes for Skip's track and field practice shirts and I saw this ^^ loved it.

I want Coach to use this quote:

Success isn’t given.
    It’s earned.
    On the track, on the field, in the gym.
    With blood, sweat and the occasional tear.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I can so relate and I know you all can too!

ffaj9jsewogw.jpg

I'm looking for quotes for Skip's track and field practice shirts and I saw this ^^ loved it.

I want Coach to use this quote:

Success isn’t given.
    It’s earned.
    On the track, on the field, in the gym.
    With blood, sweat and the occasional tear.

I love both.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Wow, those heart rates sound awfully high. ....a continual run with HR in the 190s just blows my mind away.

I was thinking, that is a fast tempo run or maybe even a VO2max interval workout depending on what her maxHR is.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1/01 - 4.7 walk/run treadmill
    1/02 - rest, did a half hour x-country ski
    1/03 - 4.5 walk/run treadmill
    1/04 - rest
    1/05 - 3.7+ (I shut off the treadmill during the run..oops)11 min steady run

exercise.png

Treadmill runner for now, following zombies5k. Running at 180spm seems to be keeping the shin splints at bay.
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have a group question:

Looking at my Garmin data I'm running 5-10 minutes and walking 2-3 my entire run. Once in a while, I have runs that are better or worse. I can run a race non-stop, 10k done, besides the chafing I had on the HM, I feel like I could have done it (minus the water stations). I nailed the first 10 miles.

My husband thinks its mental. I'll be able to rule out cardiac issues in a few weeks (which really I doubt I have, but who knows).

Lets assume it's mental. What the heck do I do? Could it really be mental?

While there could be a physiological component, an awful lot of distance running is mental. Assuming the walk/run thing is primarily mental, here's an exercise to train yourself to keep running: Instead of doing run/walk intervals, do run/run slower intervals. This will help you get mentally used to doing a couple of things: Running slower to rest instead of walking, and going back to running faster after you've had some recovery while running slower.

If you get scientific about this, Jack Daniels has several paces of different speeds that are used for different training purposes; and the distance or time of the interval varies by what length race you train for and where you are in the training cycle. But the mental aspect is pretty much the same; you get used to the idea that it's okay to run slower, but it's not okay to stop running.

That's a very simplified explanation of speed work. Its primary purpose is to train you to run faster in the race, but it can also help you with the mental effort to keep running and the mental effort to turn it up a notch when you get near the finish line.

Of course, all this needs to be tossed out the window if it turns out there is a real physiological reason you need to back off to walking for your intervals.

If it's simply that you can't keep running longer than 10 minutes, but you can run again after you've walked 3 minutes, chances are there's a simpler cure: Just run slower, to the point where you *can* keep running for however long your planned run is.

Thanks. I'm going to try to go slower. See if it really is mental.

I figure if I'm running a bit at a 8-9 min mile, I just may be overdoing it. I'll ease off the pace and focus on distance and stop trying to out run my husband. I was reading about using HR as a guide. I usually run till its 190-200+ then walk to 150-170 and run/walks again. I may shoot for slower pace that puts me about 160-170-which is a comfortable pace. Kind of a "duh" moment huh? LOL!

Did a stress test today. Unremarkable. I'm ruling out cardiovascular issues.

Wow, those heart rates sound awfully high. On long runs, my heart rate peaks out somewhere between 160 and 185 while I warm up, then settles down to the mid-120s for the bulk of the run. When I let the pace creep faster, it hangs out in the mid 120s to mid 130s. For reference, Garmin puts me into Zone 3 at 129 beats per minute.

Even accounting for the fact that you're probably younger than I am, a continual run with HR in the 190s just blows my mind away. [Pause to check my last race . . .] At Resolution Run last Friday, my HR peaked at 175 because I didn't really have a quite long enough pre-race warm up; then it settled down and spent most of the race around 150. That's at race effort for 7.5 miles, on a tough day to run, in rolling hills. Take a look at Reindeer Run 5K . . . had a good pre-race warm up, and my HR peaked at 164 during the race and averaged 149. I ran Reindeer Run hard enough that I felt like puking when I stopped after crossing the finish line.

If I put that much effort into every run, I'd put myself onto the couch within 3 months.

Yeah, running slower sounds like the obvious thing for you to try.

For all that use HRM's and know your zones. You need to know the different type of workouts and paces. Every run should not be a let's go out and run as hard as I can. After a while, not every run has to be a nice and easy run either (exception is base building & mileage building). I like to use Jack Daniels as an example for the different workout types, but other coaches also have similar methodology and terms that all basically say the same thing. Like Greg McMillan I know has something very similar to Daniels. If you follow Hasons method, that may be a bit different.

In any case, most of your running (80% of weekly mileage if you follow Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20) should be in the easy/recovery zone. 20% should be in the faster zones.

1. Easy Run:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY

2. Threshold Run (Tempo Run):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJVtPT6rHo

3. Intervals:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dQEwJhHWXk

4. Repetition:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGQKlSU4HQM

How Daniels came up with his various paces:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bidIUgYg5DQ

80/20 Running:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8fkO5AwlaI

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/wrong-long-run-pace/
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. I wanted to hit 25 miles last month for my first month back after injury and I ended up at 30+. I think I will try for a stretch goal of 40 miles as I am trying add miles so I have a longer run once a week and 3 miles each of the rest of the runs.

1/1 4.0 miles. First run of the new year. Tripped over Neeko 3 times but otherwise good and already 2 minutes faster then last time.
    1/3 2.0 miles. Legs were tired today so did an easy mile to warm up then did intervals (fartleks?speed play?) for the second mile.
    1/5 1.0 miles. Did an easy mile on the treadmill before my session with my personal trainer just to warm up and wake up my legs.

7.0 down 33 to go

@MorningGhost14 - You sir, are a BEAST! I was wimping out because it was 15 degrees out this morning. I take my hat off to you.

@skippygirlsmom - Love the quotes. I made a medal and race number holder for my wall using chalk board paint so I can change the saying on it. My two favorites are: "To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine and "The only way to define your limits is to go beyond them."

@7lenny7 - I am sorry about your cousin.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @9voice9 I don't train with or run a HM with anything. Well that's not exactly true. I will take my small water bottle because that has a small pouch and I throw a couple fruit snacks or tootsie rolls in it. I have eaten like 2 fruit snacks at mile 6 and that is it so they didn't do a thing for me. Sometimes I just like to have a taste in my mouth besides spit. I think the bottle and snacks are more of a security blanket in case I feel I need them so badly. I'd rather grab some thing at the water stops if I need. Before my last HM I ate a pop tart on the way, frosted grape if that matters :smile: but I think that was more because I was nervous and I wanted to settle my stomach. Like @3dogsrunning said if you don't need/use it training you won't need it during the race. That's my humble opinion.
    @runner_girl83 I run my cords from my headphones up my shirt but then up my back and I don't have a problem with flappy cord. I'm too cheap to buy something cordless. I keep saying when these die I will but for $5.00 they keep keeping on so I'm still using them.
    @morningGhost14 thanks for book link I'll check that out I bet that would help me with my ITB issues too and Skip was looking for some leg strengthening that didn't involve deadlifts. Nice picture!!!
    @ddmom0811 thanks for the snot rocket info that is good to know I'll have to get some and try it out. When it's really really cold I hate to get snot on my buff when it's over my mouth
    @virkati funny you mention camber of the road. Someone sent me a video to watch regarding my ITB issue and the guy discussed that, he said if you run the same route day in and day out change it up that can cause problems with ITB
    @snha Skip has had big achilles issues, so I do second everyone's mention that if you keep having it see a doctor. The orthopedic told us it thought it was a few things with her, overuse (she was running cross country and playing soccer) and heel striking (she has worked very hard on form). I'm going to say that going from a normal run of 4 to 6 miles and then pretty much doubling what you did might have been the issue. She was in a boot for 8 weeks or so then it was stretching and ice and ice and stretching.
    @_epic_ I'm with you on the beans etc, yuck! I like fruit snacks and tootsie rolls
    @kimlight2 I like this one too..thanks The only way to define your limits is to go beyond them
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Ugh! ITB...feeling sorry for you. I had issues with mine once and it hurts a lot! Hope you are all better soon!
    @5BeautifulDays - I do intervals like that on the treadmill and have found it to increase my speed outdoors a little bit. Mostly, I like it because it breaks up the monotony of the treadmill.
    @ImNoAngel2 - Did you introduce yourself with an evil laugh...or am I the only one that heard that in my head?
    @pilchierox - Welcome! Is your asthma exercise induced? Allergies? I find that running, carefully / appropriately, actually minimizes my issues. However, mine is very controlled and I haven't had major problems for over a decade.
    @racingislife97 - Dude, you have serious thrill issues ;) Great job!
    @CrimsonWhite - Congrats on the distance PR!
    @Stoshew71 - Bwahahahaha! That song is funny! But, all true...except I know many runners that have eaten Mt. Dew and donuts for lunch.
    @juliet3455 - Ha! I've had my garage door frozen shut before...good times. Hope you got it unstuck.
    @Elise4270 - Love that quote...Lauren Fleshman is awesome! (and so are Picky Bars). Congrats on the snot rocket mastery.
    @7lenny7 - Sorry for your family's loss.
    @Virkati - Feel better! The endorphins help!
    @moremonica - Welcome! Keep us updated on your progress.
    @MorningGhost14 - You, sir, are a beast! That is impressive! What type of coat/jacket is that? I need more cold weather gear and am looking for recommendations.

Phew! Finally all caught up! Enjoyed reading everything while snacking on peanut butter straight from the jar with a spoon.

Anyone have recommendations on how to prevent / mitigate plantar fasciitis while still running? Not sure, but I think I may be developing a little bit in my right foot...mild heel pain, better while running, worst when I get out of bed in the morning.

Have a great day, all!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @MorningGhost14 - What type of coat/jacket is that? I need more cold weather gear and am looking for recommendations.

I got that jacket right before Christmas... I was googling "best winter running jackets for 2015".... it is a Sugoi Firewall 180, and I love it. It's lightweight, very warm, water repellent and best of all, it is windproof, but breathable. No... wait... the best part is that it has thumb-loops. I love thumb-loops. It wasn't that expensive... I think it was around $125.00... I got mine on Amazon....
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 2.15
    1/3 - 2.33
    1/4 - 3.68
    1/5 - 5.94

MTD - 14.1

Upcoming Races:
    4/23 - 50k, VA
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Wow, those heart rates sound awfully high. ....a continual run with HR in the 190s just blows my mind away.

I was thinking, that is a fast tempo run or maybe even a VO2max interval workout depending on what her maxHR is.

Observed Max is 219. ;-)
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Got a question - maybe for @Stoshew71 or some other more experienced runners: I'm doing my first HM in 11 days. Don't normally worry about supplemental mid-race nutrition or extra hydration (outside of the race's set up water stations), but my races are 5Ks (99%) and almost a couple of 10Ks (1, plus one that was short by about a half-mile). I ran a 10-mile training run Saturday (with a couple 5+ miles on the surrounding days), and didn't feel like I was starving or dehydrated or anything in any of those. I normally have a cup of coffee before my morning training runs, and that's about it.

I've tried using a GU a couple times, and can't say that it did anything for me (aside for the extreme sweetness that left me with a strange mouthfeel for a few minutes). I don't normally feel particularly fatigued or anything, and can't say that I've ever "hit the wall."

If I do need a GU or something, I can do a trial-run this Saturday on my 11.5 mile training run, but my previous experience indicates that GU doesn't upset my stomach or anything.

Does all this mean I don't need to plan on a GU or a bean or anything on the actual race, or am I being stubborn or unwise or something?

I will answer this in a general sense since even tho you posted the question, you are most likely not the only one thinking of this question.

In general, as long as you have good nutrition days leading up to the race and eat early enough before the race a decent breakfast, you shouldn't need to refuel for any race under 90 minutes. Obviously different people are different and their fitness and fat burning capabilities will dictate a lot of this, plus how they function mentally. I generally train fasted in the morning and don't refuel every morning except for my long run, and even then I tend to run my long run fasted. I usually don't have any problems. A little GatorAde is all I may need. Races may be a little different cause I am trying to maximize my effort. My last HM where I finished around ~1:40 (hour and 40 minutes) I just made sure I had a good breakfast. I carried no gels or Gu or anything. Maybe had a sip of PowerAde at the very last aid station at the race. I didn't think it had any negative effects on me.

Most of the time I am worried about refueling while running is any race longer than 2 hours. That's pretty much marathons for me. Last year, I tried Gu and fig newton's, but what i found what worked best for this year's RCM was plain ole GatorAde. I had took in a total of 3 liters (in 2x 1.5 L bottles) for the whole race and felt no bonk. This was also after a very sucessful carb-load for 3 days and pre-race meal 3 hours before my race.

I could explain the whole science thingy on bonking and why (and if) you need to refuel on the run, but I think this article explains it the best:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/cience-of-bonking-and-glycogen-depletion/

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/the-science-behind-bonking
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Observed Max is 219. ;-)
    Holy crap! I had my HR that high once, but I think it involved hookers and cocaine...
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Observed Max is 219. ;-)
    Holy crap! I had my HR that high once, but I think it involved hookers and cocaine...
    Day = made.

I laughed out loud.

Seriously though, is 219 accurate? I know max HR's can vary from person to person, but the generic formula people use to approximate a max HR is 220 - age in years. So since I just turned 44 that would mean mine should be around 176. I know that is low however as I can get near 170 for periods that are too long to really be that near my max HR. I can not fathom ever hitting 219 though. Doesn't mean you're wrong, maybe you do go that high.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Does all this mean I don't need to plan on a GU or a bean or anything on the actual race, or am I being stubborn or unwise or something?
    Most of the time I am worried about refueling while running is any race longer than 2 hours. That's pretty much marathons for me.
    I'll study the links - my target (based on previous 10K runs and the McMillan Calculator) is 2:20 (I'm allowing myself 2:30 because I know I'll be slower in the last couple miles or so). The 10-mile was 1:51, so that's within a degree of reasonableness. I'm hoping that (playing with my new vivoactive) I can get more consistent with my pacing, and that should help too.

If my 11.5 this weekend goes as smoothly as last Saturday's 10-miler, then I'll just decide that I can do without much (or any) refueling (but I'll have a little something in the FlexBelt just in case), and keep on keepin' on.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @9voice9 - Something that just occurred to me after reading your reply. When it comes to your HM training (and your HM) one thing that I always felt in my early HM's was that I would lose a ton of energy and willpower at the 10 mile mark (given a 2:45ish pace). In my HM's I always hear others around me start chiming up around miles 9 or 10 about how they are at that point where they "hit the wall". So this was why I started refueling for my HM's.

Since doing full marathon training and running some of those however I do not believe it to be the case about "hitting the wall" at 10 miles any more. It was a mix of mental strength and physical. I had built up the physical strength to do HM's but that doesn't mean the last few miles were easy, and my brain was telling me it was "the wall". As that distance became more manageable though I no longer feel that way at mile 10. Now it is mile 16. That one is KILLER!!! At least for now. :smile:

That is not to say that you will not run low on glycogen somewhere between 2 and 3.5 hours of running. You will. Refueling helps to a small degree but the biggest help (just my personal opinion from personal experience) is simply more training. That makes those painful miles further and further out over time.

Again, just my opinion.

And also, I have to recommend against anyone following my advice simply because I don't always do things the sensible way. But I think all of this is outside of my "nonsensical stuff" and thus safe to share.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    For all my crazy cold weather running friends!
    iners2lcagh9.jpg
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Had to edit my times :smile:
    January 1st- 3.5 miles
    January 4th- 6 miles
    Total so far: 9.5 miles
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    @Stoshew71 , @WhatMeRunning , @MobyCarp and @Elise4270 are like getting all nerdy technical and mathematical and VO2 maxing and glyco-burning and fartleking....
    And I'm all like...
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    For all my crazy cold weather running friends!
    iners2lcagh9.jpg

Lol! So true...