The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Newbie welcomes to @kandid64 @robmckim2 @refinnej70

@zmcgrandles: I’m confused…are you doing your ticker backwards from goal? Or did you really do a 70 miles run as your first run? :D (I’m guessing you’re not Stateside and that 3/1 is “3rd of January” rather than “1st day of March”)

@Mrs_Hoffer: I would suggest jumping back into C25K to get to that goal. You already know it works if you’ve done it in 2014. While your goals are your goals, I don’t see anything “bad” about walking part of the 5K if you’re happy with the overall pace. I did my first 5K run/walk and my goal was to get 30:00 or under..I ended up just a little over 32:00 and was happy with that. I still do some walking in my “runs” (although quite a bit less now than when I first started “running”) but I’ve hit the point where it’s mostly running and I’m pretty sure I could easily hit that 30:00 or under goal for a 5K now (but I’m shooting for a half marathon at this point).
    @moremonica: If you did zero miles in December, that’s 10 more than then. I would imagine if we did a poll of all the people in this area, there aren’t a whole lot of life-long athletes..most of us had that “a-ha” day where we got tired of being stapled to the couch and decided running might be “worth a try”. Welcome!

@KatEmmaMarie: Congrats on the long run

@MorningGhost14: You sir are nuts..but congrats on doing it anyway in the 3 degrees…

Jan 1: When the run started it was still the 1st..so I'm counting it here.
    6.59 cold night miles, slow, around 12:40/mile.
    Jan 2: REST DAY
    Jan 3: First “official” training day for the HM and first snowfall of the year (on a run day at least). 3.51 miles. Some fast intervals mixed in with slower paced runs. 12:10 average pace, fastest split was mile 2 (11:29).
    Jan 4: Wimped out 
    Jan 5: Ice in my ‘stache at the end of the run…that’s new. 3.2 miles this morning

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I have a group question:

Looking at my Garmin data I'm running 5-10 minutes and walking 2-3 my entire run. Once in a while, I have runs that are better or worse. I can run a race non-stop, 10k done, besides the chafing I had on the HM, I feel like I could have done it (minus the water stations). I nailed the first 10 miles.

My husband thinks its mental. I'll be able to rule out cardiac issues in a few weeks (which really I doubt I have, but who knows).

Lets assume it's mental. What the heck do I do? Could it really be mental?

While there could be a physiological component, an awful lot of distance running is mental. Assuming the walk/run thing is primarily mental, here's an exercise to train yourself to keep running: Instead of doing run/walk intervals, do run/run slower intervals. This will help you get mentally used to doing a couple of things: Running slower to rest instead of walking, and going back to running faster after you've had some recovery while running slower.

If you get scientific about this, Jack Daniels has several paces of different speeds that are used for different training purposes; and the distance or time of the interval varies by what length race you train for and where you are in the training cycle. But the mental aspect is pretty much the same; you get used to the idea that it's okay to run slower, but it's not okay to stop running.

That's a very simplified explanation of speed work. Its primary purpose is to train you to run faster in the race, but it can also help you with the mental effort to keep running and the mental effort to turn it up a notch when you get near the finish line.

Of course, all this needs to be tossed out the window if it turns out there is a real physiological reason you need to back off to walking for your intervals.

If it's simply that you can't keep running longer than 10 minutes, but you can run again after you've walked 3 minutes, chances are there's a simpler cure: Just run slower, to the point where you *can* keep running for however long your planned run is.

Thanks. I'm going to try to go slower. See if it really is mental.

I figure if I'm running a bit at a 8-9 min mile, I just may be overdoing it. I'll ease off the pace and focus on distance and stop trying to out run my husband. I was reading about using HR as a guide. I usually run till its 190-200+ then walk to 150-170 and run/walks again. I may shoot for slower pace that puts me about 160-170-which is a comfortable pace. Kind of a "duh" moment huh? LOL!

Did a stress test today. Unremarkable. I'm ruling out cardiovascular issues.

Wow, those heart rates sound awfully high. On long runs, my heart rate peaks out somewhere between 160 and 185 while I warm up, then settles down to the mid-120s for the bulk of the run. When I let the pace creep faster, it hangs out in the mid 120s to mid 130s. For reference, Garmin puts me into Zone 3 at 129 beats per minute.

Even accounting for the fact that you're probably younger than I am, a continual run with HR in the 190s just blows my mind away. [Pause to check my last race . . .] At Resolution Run last Friday, my HR peaked at 175 because I didn't really have a quite long enough pre-race warm up; then it settled down and spent most of the race around 150. That's at race effort for 7.5 miles, on a tough day to run, in rolling hills. Take a look at Reindeer Run 5K . . . had a good pre-race warm up, and my HR peaked at 164 during the race and averaged 149. I ran Reindeer Run hard enough that I felt like puking when I stopped after crossing the finish line.

If I put that much effort into every run, I'd put myself onto the couch within 3 months.

running slower sounds like the obvious thing for you to try.

Ya, I'm pretty slow anyhow.. But slower run planned today. Here's my last a horrible run.

Not to beat a dead horse- but if there are any other insights as to how i might push past this, please share your unprofessional opinions.
    I saw a cardiologist, but he wasn't buying my data. Honestly, he was an *kitten* about it all. Stress test was normal.

Really, I'm leaning to chalk it up to normal physiological differences.

[imh]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll31/beheyb/Screenshot_2016-01-05-08-55-52_zpseqzwvgde.png[/img]

My blood work is normal too.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Cold this morning. ...

Only thing I can say is day-yum! You go, buddy!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Got a question - maybe for @Stoshew71 or some other more experienced runners: I'm doing my first HM in 11 days. Don't normally worry about supplemental mid-race nutrition or extra hydration (outside of the race's set up water stations), but my races are 5Ks (99%) and almost a couple of 10Ks (1, plus one that was short by about a half-mile). I ran a 10-mile training run Saturday (with a couple 5+ miles on the surrounding days), and didn't feel like I was starving or dehydrated or anything in any of those. I normally have a cup of coffee before my morning training runs, and that's about it.

I've tried using a GU a couple times, and can't say that it did anything for me (aside for the extreme sweetness that left me with a strange mouthfeel for a few minutes). I don't normally feel particularly fatigued or anything, and can't say that I've ever "hit the wall."

If I do need a GU or something, I can do a trial-run this Saturday on my 11.5 mile training run, but my previous experience indicates that GU doesn't upset my stomach or anything.

Does all this mean I don't need to plan on a GU or a bean or anything on the actual race, or am I being stubborn or unwise or something?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Got a question - maybe for @Stoshew71 or some other more experienced runners: I'm doing my first HM in 11 days. Don't normally worry about supplemental mid-race nutrition or extra hydration (outside of the race's set up water stations), but my races are 5Ks (99%) and almost a couple of 10Ks (1, plus one that was short by about a half-mile). I ran a 10-mile training run Saturday (with a couple 5+ miles on the surrounding days), and didn't feel like I was starving or dehydrated or anything in any of those. I normally have a cup of coffee before my morning training runs, and that's about it.

I've tried using a GU a couple times, and can't say that it did anything for me (aside for the extreme sweetness that left me with a strange mouthfeel for a few minutes). I don't normally feel particularly fatigued or anything, and can't say that I've ever "hit the wall."

If I do need a GU or something, I can do a trial-run this Saturday on my 11.5 mile training run, but my previous experience indicates that GU doesn't upset my stomach or anything.

Does all this mean I don't need to plan on a GU or a bean or anything on the actual race, or am I being stubborn or unwise or something?

Not stubborn or unwise. You don't *need* Gu or anything for a half marathon. (I say that as someone who does take it anyway, some people like to or prefer to or feel better if they do and that's fine too).
    Generally you practice nutrition during training. You've trained this long without it and feel fine, I don't see a reason to switch.
    Personally, I wouldn't try anything new this close to the race. One run isn't enough to convince me my stomach isn't going to revolt.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Wow, this group is pretty intimidating, but I need to jump in and "begin" somewhere, right? I completed the c25k program in late 2014, but haven't really done much with running since then. So I'm trying to get into running more and my January RUNNING goal is 20 miles! I have a virtual 5k race on the 30th that I want to be able to RUN the entire thing without having to stop and walk any of it!

Welcome! Don't be intimidated...I think you will find this group to be super encouraging and supportive and even those that run 200+ miles / month started somewhere. Also, lots of good information that can really help you grow as a runner!

Go get it!

• karllundy
    Options
    Never pass up new shoes! We love shoes here!

Yep...and dogs! We also love dogs!

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Never pass up new shoes! We love shoes here!

Yep...and dogs! We also love dogs!

OK. Why have I not joined here sooner?
  • karllundy
    Options
    @9voice9 - I pretty much never eat or drink before or during a HM. Food upsets my stomach a little and too much fluid means I have to stop to pee. Like you, maybe a cup of coffee. If you did your 10-miler without anything, you should be fine, assuming the temperature isn't going to be such that water is necessary to avoid overheating.
  • deepthi87d
    deepthi87d Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1/4 -3.3 miles
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'll join in here. Goal - 50 miles.

Jan 1 3.88
    Jan 3 4.07

Total 7.95

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 You are a beast. If it was cold enough to turn my hat into ice, I would have definitely treadmilled it. Hope you still have all your toes!
    I feel like a tough guy until I remember I have like $500 worth of high-tech winter running gear keeping me all warm and toasty... as long as I don't stop... as for my toes, I usually stop feeling them after a couple of miles and if I can't feel them then I don't have to think about them...

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 you don't need to take anything. I know people on this thread that don't. Some people have a little breakfast, some don't even do that. And if you don't feel like you need it, why bother

I like to use the Chomps. I eat a half packet before i leave and am gearing up, the other half at 4 miles, 1/2 a packet at 8 and the other half around 10.5 or not at all depending on how i feel. I'm not that experienced at this level of distance, I imagine eventually I'll be able to go Gu-less
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    I don't take anything to eat unless I'm going over 15 miles and then I take my own stuff, even for races. I will pack dates stuffed with walnuts or almonds and I like my homemade spelt crepes with almond butter and honey.

I typically hydrate with water only up to 15 miles... after that I mix in this stuff called Tailwind.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My goal for January is 50 miles! Hey y'all -- I'm new to the monthly running challenge! :smiley:

1/4 - 5 Miles
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @MorningGhost14 i'm sorta jealous

You're a cheese-head... you'll get your chance for a frosty one...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 You are a beast. If it was cold enough to turn my hat into ice, I would have definitely treadmilled it. Hope you still have all your toes!
    I feel like a tough guy until I remember I have like $500 worth of high-tech winter running gear keeping me all warm and toasty... as long as I don't stop... as for my toes, I usually stop feeling them after a couple of miles and if I can't feel them then I don't have to think about them...

3° F is one of those conditions that I have mentally tagged as "better running weather than walking weather, and *much* better running weather than standing around weather." I'm really impressed with the volunteers at very cold races, more so than with the runners.

In 2015, I ran in temperatures ranging from -10° to +91°. -10° was easier to deal with, but there wasn't much wind that day. And it didn't last. When I got home after 10 miles, it was all the way up to +5° and I got a nice ice beard selfie. The hardest cold run was probably 2015 Resolution Run, 7.5 miles in the teens with 30+ mph wind. I actually had to go back to my car for a fourth layer, to run at race pace.

Coldest in 2016 to date was yesterday's +14°. With a mere 10 mph wind, it was No Big Deal. No selfie, because my phone was tucked away under a couple layers and not easy to get to. Don't know warmest in 2016 to date, but it would have to be the run on an indoor track. That hardly counts.
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    And we're off.

January 1 - 5 miles
    January 2 - 4 miles

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - If I take anything like GU to refuel I do it based on total time I expect to be running, not based on mileage. If I am going to be running for 2.5+ hours then I refuel about every hour from the start of the run. For anything lest than 2.5 hours I don't refuel.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I started off today doing 4 x 1mile intervals with the goal of doing each mile around 10:20. After a half mile warm up my first mile was 10:05. After another half mile cool down my second mile was 10:21. The next half mile was a 200 foot climb and I was not cooled down so I did not try my next interval for another quarter mile. Shortly after starting the 3rd mile interval the pathway was all ice for as far as I could see. So I had to slow it down and due to all of the footprints during the thaw/freeze cycles the footing was pretty tricky. I pass a road going southbound that was free of ice so I diverted down that way. It was going to add another mile to my route. Since my interval was already messed up and I was running further I decided to just run the rest of the way in at a steady state effort with the last 1/4 mile walking to cool down. Wound up with a 12:14 pace all told with the intervals, cooldowns, steady state and walking, setting a new 10k PR time of 1:14:26. So not too bad. Not sure what kind of workout to call this however. :confused:

1/1 - 2.25 miles
    1/3 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - 6.5 miles

12.85 of 50 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)