The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Must drop the holiday weight! Too hard to run with it.

January 1 - 5 miles
    January 2 - 4 miles
    January 5 - 4.55 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I'm going to be a little pain in the *kitten* here and ask if you could kindly explain how interval runs help us run faster on our longer runs? And what distance or time/reps should one run at, at their fastest speed?

:smiley: And a HUUUUGGGGEE thank you in advance!!!!

You are not being a pain in the *kitten*. I be glad to answer.

So before I answer, need to set some things into context in case we have any third party readers.
    We are not talking about run/walk intervals. This is advanced speed work meant for those that already have a good aerobic base and have been running for at least a year consistently.

So I will begin by re-referring to the Jack Daniels video.

According to Jack, the general purpose is designed to maximize aerobic power (how much blood can you deliver to the running muscles and how much of that oxygen being delivered in that blood can convert fuel into energy - or VO2max). And Jack is talking about running these intervals at a pace between 97 to just under 100% of your max HR. Each running interval is between 2-5 minutes max (or if you are measing distance 800-1200 meters) and the rest in between each interval is about equal time.

Then you have what Jack calls Repetition Training or Reps, which is like intervals, but they are done much faster with bigger rest. They improve speed and running eceonomy. The running part is at most 2 minutes (200-400 meters and maybe 800 meters for the more elite). The pace is your current mile race pace.

Then you have Greg McMillan's definition for speed workout: a series of runs between 1-6 minutes done right at your VO2max (your 10-15 minute race pace). They work on a zone that most long distance runners leave dormant. This is very similar to Jack's Interval training. Greg's neuromuscular workout is very simular to Jack's repetition running. Works on the neuromuscular (or brain-to nervous system-to muscle) communication as well as exercising our fast twitch muscles.

So how do these 2 types of workouts specifically help a long distance runner?

Easy running (60% of max effort for long periods) stress our bodies to make our heart stronger, make more hemoglobin, make more capillaries, make more mitochondria, and become more efficient fat burners. Tempo runs make us run right at our aerobic maximum to the level where lactate is at it's maximum steady state.

Interval training in meant for us to train at our VO2max for the maximum amount of time possible.
    According to studies, the effects of intermittent training at your VO2max have an improvement to aerobic power. According to these studies, the greatest challenge to our aerobic power occurs when intensity is from 90-100% of VO2max. For example, in these zones, our bodies rely more on myoglobin for oxygen storage and oxygen transport (see Essen study in 1975). Sort of what easy running does for hemoglobin or our red blood cells. Myoglobin in the muscle stores extra oxygen. When oxygen is plentiful (like rest), this protein stores the extra oxygen not being used. When the oxygen supply is very low, like running hard intensity, the myoglobin let's go of the oxygen. In this sense, think of as glycogen in the muscle is to sugar storage, myoglobin is for oxygen storage. Running these intervals help stimulate more myoglobin. The more myoglobin you have, the longer you can hold your breath under water. This benefit would be more applicable to say a shorter distance runner or someone playing field sports (stop & go), but none the less also has some applicability to longer distances.

More importantly, it helps work on muscle fiber recruitment. Specifically we are talking about skeletal muscle, and all 3 fiber types: slow-twitch (type-I), Intermediate fast-twitch (type IIa), and fast-twitch (type IIx). Slow twitch muscles do not give us much power but have lots of endurance. It's the fiber type we depend on the most in the first say 30 minutes at a very slow pace. Fast-twitch or those type 2x fibers, give us that explosive power (stop to fast sprint, or jumping up and down over boxes) but do not have that much endurance. As we run further and further at our slow pace, the type 1 slow twitch muscles start to get tired and we begin to recruit more Type 2a fibers to help us make up the strength to maintain pace. Towards the end of the race, our slow type 2 and intermediate 2a get tired and we have to rely more on our fast-twitch type 2x muscle fibers to help us maintain that same pace. These faster workouts are designed to recruit more of those type 2a and 2x muscle fibers much sooner so they also get a good workout. That way, towards the later stages of the race, those muscles are stronger and we can rely on them more efficiently. Type 2 muscle fibers also operate more anaerobically, while type 1 operates more aerobically. So it makes sense that anaerobic paces make these type 2 muscles fibers more stronger.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png
    A bit better this morning...
    That is running shorts weather! :tongue:

Uh, only if that's Celsius! Or you're @MorningGhost14 :o
    I wear pants for anything below freezing, and a long sleeve shirt once it gets below 40. I am tempted to try shorts in 25+ though. Maybe next time. But that's what I said last time too. :smiley: Remember SonicDeathMonkey? He wore shorts in all sorts of crazy cold weather and thought all of us pants-wearers were nuts.

Yeah, but he also stops for McDonald's breakfast right in the middle of a marathon. ;-)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber ....

Spelt Crepes
    • 1 cup white spelt flour (I use ¾ cup whole spelt flour and ¼ cup teff flour…crepes are more rustic… and I have used all buckwheat flour with good results, too.)
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 3 or 4 eggs
    • 1 cup buttermilk (soy milk or regular milk may be substituted – almond milk, flax milk, and coconut milk all work too. If using buttermilk, I make my own with a cup of 2% milk and a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and let it sit about 10 minutes.)
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 3 tablespoons oil (your favorite cooking oil – I prefer coconut or grapeseed).
    • 1/2 teaspoon butter or non-stick cooking spray
    In a large bowl, combine the spelt flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, water, and oil to form a very smooth and thin batter.
    I usually use a whisk; however a blender works well too. Many crepe recipes recommend covering the batter and allowing it to sit for a time before cooking so that the flour particles expand. However, I rarely do this as I generally do not have the patience! If you do have the time, cover the bowl and allow it to sit in the fridge for a few hours, on the counter for 30 minutes or (if you’re really organized), prepare the batter the night before.
    Over medium heat, heat an 8-inch frying pan or a few minutes. Add the 1/2 teaspoon of butter or coat with cooking spray. You will only need to do this at the start.
    Using a dry measuring cup, add a scant 1/4 cup of prepared crepe batter to the frying pan (you may need up to 1/3 cup if using a larger pan). Twirl the pan so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan in a thin layer. The first couple of crepes are often a write-off (or snack for the chef) as you get the temperature and amount of batter just right. I don’t worry too much about shape or thinness – they improve as you go and are always delicious!
    The crepe will be ready to flip when it appears slightly dry on top and golden on the bottom (approximately 1 1/2 to 2 minutes). To flip, I usually run a knife around the edge and then use my thumb and forefinger to flip it or slip a rubber spatula beneath. The crepes will only require about 30 seconds of cooking on the other side.
    Stack the crepes on a plate as you go. You can keep them warm in a 200 degree F. oven or they are great served at room temperature.
    (I like spreading these with almond butter, chia seeds and a light drizzle of honey for a pre-run boost… or a mid-run snack on longer runs. They roll up nicely and fit easily into my camelback.)

Hmm, copied. Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't have the patience to wait on something to sit before I cook or eat it.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I have this image of a bunch of ‘roos in fedoras with a cigarette dangled out the side of their mouths speaking like Jimmy Cagney. "When that guy comes running around here, we're all gonna jump him see!" LOL

And now I'm thinking about the weasels from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?...

I'm thinking Looney Tunes. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU14hw0yxbY
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I finally have another actual update to post (though I've been enjoying reading through all the posts, I feel like a real slacker on my rest and cross training days. LOL). I had 4 miles scheduled for today, and ran them over lunch--all of them this time. Granted, 4 miles was what I managed of my long run this weekend after the tailbone injury, so maybe it's not really much of an improvement. Either way, it only took me 37:xx minutes--pretty decent pace for me and it felt easy today. My GPS data was a little wonky over the first mile or so of the run, but my overall distance was spot on (I did an out and back, and the back section was correct data and exactly 2 miles long), so no harm. Annoying, but at least with the out and back course, I know that my total distance was correct.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Tailbone twinged a few times during the run, but it was fleeting pain. Scheduled for 7 miles tomorrow.

Completed: 12/145.1 miles
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. I wanted to hit 25 miles last month for my first month back after injury and I ended up at 30+. I think I will try for a stretch goal of 40 miles as I am trying add miles so I have a longer run once a week and 3 miles each of the rest of the runs.

1/1 4.0 miles. First run of the new year. Tripped over Neeko 3 times but otherwise good and already 2 minutes faster then last time.
    1/3 2.0 miles. Legs were tired today so did an easy mile to warm up then did intervals (fartleks?speed play?) for the second mile.
    1/5 1.0 miles. Did an easy mile on the treadmill before my session with my personal trainer just to warm up and wake up my legs.
    1/6 4.0 miles. Did a slow steady pace on the treadmill and made it thru all 4 miles with only 2 walk breaks. A .25 mile warm up is included in that milage total though.

11.0 down 29 to go

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png

I wear pants for anything below freezing, and a long sleeve shirt once it gets below 40. I am tempted to try shorts in 25+ though. Maybe next time. But that's what I said last time too. :smiley: Remember SonicDeathMonkey? He wore shorts in all sorts of crazy cold weather and thought all of us pants-wearers were nuts.

Yeah, but he also stops for McDonald's breakfast right in the middle of a marathon. ;-)

Still my favorite thing read about a marathon ever!!! I thought he was taking a bathroom break, nope he got hungry. Gotta love him.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png

Still my favorite thing read about a marathon ever!!! I thought he was taking a bathroom break, nope he got hungry. Gotta love him.

He took, you deserve a break today, to a whole new level. LOL
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)

Amazing run this afternoon. It was a balmy 40F degrees compared to this morning's 12F. And other than the two miles that were just long, not-so-steep uphills, I paced between my HM and Marathon goal paces, and it wasn't even too awful. Just wanted to see if I could still do it after so many easy/low mileage weeks :) Hopefully my doubles tomorrow will go well too and I can keep this schedule (Run Sun, Mon, Wedx2, Thursx2, Sat, with Tues and Fri off) when marathon training starts officially on the 24th.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift... nicely done... I knew I wouldn't be able to "out-mileage" you very long... :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 Your monthly goal is only 25 less than mine! You'll keep pace for a while :)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am officially rescinding my goal of 60 miles this month and putting any further projections on hold until I have the energy to do more than simply look out the window and yearn. :'(
  • Gallaghergirl11
    Gallaghergirl11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think I'll go for 15 miles this month. It's probably the lowest one here, but now that I'm not in sports, and haven't been for a while, it's been a long time since I've run.
  • MorningGhost14
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I am officially rescinding my goal of 60 miles this month and putting any further projections on hold until I have the energy to do more than simply look out the window and yearn. :'(

Don't leave us though.... I can't speak for everyone, but I have times when I struggle with lack of desire, depression, no motivation, injury, monkey-brain, lack of sleep, time limitations, relationship demands... but I have gotten to the point where I almost enjoy those battles... Barring injury, I find the ugly, tedious, painful runs are the ones that benefit me the most. Injuries spiral me into black depressions which is why I work hard at staying as light and as strong as possible to aid me in running injury free. Hang in there, sweetie... you ARE a RUNNER and you have miles to go before you sleep....
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Virkati , @GBrady43068 , @Stoshew71 , @ceciliaslater : lol @ gangster roos. Luckily, the roos I saw were definitely laid back, aussie style roos.

@skippygirlsmom : Tell Skip that Australia is a pretty nice part of the world, and I don't think I could discourage her from wanting to come live here.

Today's run: 5.3 km; 7:22 min/km; Av HR 130; Max HR 143.
    Steamy out there this morning: 26 C (real feel 29 C); humidity 85% at 5:45am.

exercise.png

• MorningGhost14
    Options
    I think I'll go for 15 miles this month. It's probably the lowest one here, but now that I'm not in sports, and haven't been for a while, it's been a long time since I've run.

The you are in the right place... we all love seeing people meet, beat and expand their goals... whether its 15 miles a month or 300 a month... we all started with one.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 5k
    3/1 - 7k
    5/1 - 1k walk ( well it all counts :) )
    6/1 - 3k

16/80 - on track.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »

Don't leave us though.... I can't speak for everyone, but I have times when I struggle with lack of desire, depression, no motivation, injury, monkey-brain, lack of sleep, time limitations, relationship demands... but I have gotten to the point where I almost enjoy those battles... Barring injury, I find the ugly, tedious, painful runs are the ones that benefit me the most. Injuries spiral me into black depressions which is why I work hard at staying as light and as strong as possible to aid me in running injury free. Hang in there, sweetie... you ARE a RUNNER and you have miles to go before you sleep....

You can speak for me. Whether you are running or not stay with us.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @runner_girl83 thanks. I will try some exercises — i have been stretching more often recently

@WhatmeRunning thanks for the comment. I had the pain on and off for a while and visited a sports doctor and a physical therapist. They were not too concerned—did not think i had tendinitis. But thought i needed to strengthen the muscles all around to protect my achilles from further injuries (calfs all the way up to the glutes and lower back). Suggested cross training, icing, stretching at the time, but not to stop running altogether or rest for a long period.

@kristinegift thanks as always. See my response above to @whatmerunning. I thought the pain is a bad sign, but then, would you think it’s not too serious because the pain disappeared in a few hours of icing?

@skippygirlsmom i think you’re right. doubling my run was probably too much. the problem i am having is that since i am new to this i don’t really know what the “normal” pain is for runners and when to think pain is because of overusing and when to think it’s caused by injury. but i think your (and others’) comments are helping me identify a difference between pain and soreness!

@Stoshew71 I think you’re right—pushing myself does result in feeling the pain in my weakest link, which seems to be my heels. I did follow your suggestion of taking an extra day off and it seems to work well.

Thanks everybody for your help. Your comments/advice were very helpful.

1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.

exercise.png