The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have a group question:

Looking at my Garmin data I'm running 5-10 minutes and walking 2-3 my entire run. Once in a while, I have runs that are better or worse. I can run a race non-stop, 10k done, besides the chafing I had on the HM, I feel like I could have done it (minus the water stations). I nailed the first 10 miles.

My husband thinks its mental. I'll be able to rule out cardiac issues in a few weeks (which really I doubt I have, but who knows).

Lets assume it's mental. What the heck do I do? Could it really be mental?

Today My training journal says:

"... No matter where you stack up when it comes to speed or distance, stake claim to your group and run with pride. Your running will soar by being a part of something bigger than yourself. " Lauren Fleshman.

Also, don't underestimate the power of adrenaline. In a race there is so much excitement going on that it gives you energy. A training run can sometimes be just that. A boring training run.

Also in a race you are running many times with others that are going your pace. Many of these folks are very steady runners. Me on the other hand, I can very easily vary my pace up and down if I am all by myself. The up and down is not as efficient as a very steady and even pace.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin.

Yes. My condolences as well.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    After taking 2 days of much needed rest in my final taper week before the Disney marathon, I both got in some speedwork this morning (a handful of 3-minute 800 repeats), and a slow run this evening with a neighbor. Oddly enough in the last 1/4 mile of my run tonight, I spotted a mouse running across a power line overhead, so I'm not sure if it is some sort of odd omen from Mickey or Minnie. Forecast for next Sunday is still mid 60s with 80%+ humidity at the moment, so I'm not super-optimistic.

1/3 - 10 miles (5 speedwork, 5 slow)

Total: 10 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 170 miles
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I really like Pete Ffitzinger a lot and very much respect him for advice. I am thinking about getting that book Advanced Marathoning to find out more on why he breaks things down the way he does.

For example: he defines the long run between 17-22 miles. Well the long run is meant to be real easy pace. For me that may mean about a 9 minute pace is pretty much appropriate. That would take me over 2 and a half hours. That is Dr. Jack Daniels ultimate limit for a long run not the bare minimum. Lol.

The more painful part about his long run definition is that he has you accelerate up to 10% below race pace during it (starting 2 minute slower and working up to race pace by mile 10 or so), so in theory the 22 milers should take about as long as your marathon. Still, in the past, I've never had too much trouble doing 18-20 mile long runs of 3-4 hours (as I started pretty slow), as long as I was good with fully resting on my recovery day, but I've never tried doing much more than the last hour of them near race pace with the rest much slower. The one time I crashed & burned in a marathon was when I only did 2-20 milers and 2-18 milers, but the climate may have played a bigger role in that race. Per Pfitz' guidance, doing most of the distance within a minute of race pace seems like a ton of stress on the body, and I'll definitely be adjusting pace based on heart rate given the quantity of runs I do here in Florida at 80%+ humidity & 70+ degree dewpoints.
  • kittary
    kittary Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES............TOTAL......Goal 30
    1/2.....................2.25...............2.25
    1/3.....................2.25...............4.50
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Today was a rest day, but I am trying to reach my miles goals as well. So I took a brisk walk.

01/03..... 2.0 miles ..... 7.7/84 miles
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just found a vitual HM I want to do around my birthday in March :sunglasses: And it's called the "New York Strong 13.1" yep... cool race! :wink: lol

I've always had this thing for NY.. I've never been there but I just thought it was cool that it'll line up near my birthday!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i ran 3.3 miles today! apartment gym treadmill (kids playing minecraft and watching). They aren't up to 3 miles two days in a row. go to school, kids! :p

exercise.png

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Newbie welcomes to @michable @mama2boys29 @Ericjayh @alydanbeads @jenmurphy3 @NezyRumRunner @deepthi87d

@kateparry84: Every little bit counts...
    @kittary: That day will come..and you'll be stunned the first time you say “You know, I think I'm gonna go just a little bit farther...”
    @Stoshew71: Loved the line about “rather pee down their leg than stop” in “Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Runners” vid
    @KatEmmaMarie: I track only the run (or more typically run/walk) portion..I track the cool down as “walking” in my app for MFP exercise logging but I don't put it into my challenge tracker
    @runner_girl83: I also use RunKeeper. My workout today actually had intervals in it..

Jan 1: When the run started it was still the 1st..so I'm counting it here. :p
    6.59 cold night miles, slow, around 12:40/mile.
    Jan 2: REST DAY
    Jan 3: First “official” training day for the HM and first snowfall of the year (on a run day at least). 3.51 miles. Some fast intervals mixed in with slower paced runs. 12:10 average pace, fastest split was mile 2 (11:29).

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies to the group - there are too many to list you all but you know who you are! We are a bunch of crazy runners here in this group. We have a lot of fun and trade a lot of tips and advice and give lots of support!
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    When I got home I hit the button on my Garage Door remote and nothing happened. Went into the garage and the chain had jumped off the Motor Drive gear. Repaired it and it jumped off again. Turns out the door is frozen to the Garage Floor and the joints between sections were frozen together. Turned the heat on and will try again in the afternoon. Only in Canada.
    @juliet3455 - wow! I see the number and understand it is cold but this just brings that awareness to another level. Hope you were able to get it thawed and can keep it that way!
    @runnergirl0721 - I am always impressed when I see parents running pushing a stroller with one or more kids. I know you get some momentum going but still pushing 30, 40, 80 pounds around while running is amazing!
    Congrats on the new distance! I cranked out many miles last year at similar paces. Keep at it and you will be running distances you never thought you would even attempt. Better yet, you will feel like you could probably just keep on going forever after a good while of training like that. Not that I tried going on forever, mind you. :lol:
    ..., but it felt good. My nose just tends to want to get a little sniffly in the cool air. I must remember kleenex in the future.
    Snot rocket.. I resisted for years to do it. But last few days running sick, its become a must. No shame.
    @Elise4270 - I have still not figured out how to do this successfully without it ending up in a mess on my face!
    @7lenny7 - I am glad the brewery therapy worked and very very sorry about the loss of your cousin.
    @Aresende90 - love the picture of you and your running buddy! Love running with mine too :)
    @skippygirlsmom - I hope your knee/IT band is feeling better soon!
    Welcome @Ericjayh and @ImNoAngel2. Its nice to have the spouse we've been hearing about join the group!

I can't find who originally posted on the hydration/fueling question earlier but I did want to share my experiences as I have struggled with this and with the horrid GI distress. I have always taken something with me on longer runs greater than an hour (water and or Bloks or gummy bears and something for the pup). I followed the same practice for all my HMs and typically would fuel at the halfway point but I have been having some real stomach/intestinal issues that I could not figure out. My daughter is convinced it is all hydration related so before my HM last weekend I made sure I was very well hydrated. During the race I sipped water (only) at each hydration point and at mile 4 I had some gummy bears - only I didn't eat them, I let them dissolve slowly in my mouth. Same with the Blok at mile 6. I had NO stomach issues at all, not even a grumble. I also did not run out of steam, finished strong with a PR, placing higher than I thought I could in my AG. Having it work once doesn't mean it is the solution I know, but I was thrilled not to have any issue. I also don't really know if it was the hydration or not getting the gummies/bloks into my stomach to digest. The point is though that you have to keep trying things until you figure out what works for you.

No run for me today - it was football, laundry and taking down/putting away Christmas decorations. Somewhere in doing all of that I hurt my back. I am hoping it will be better so I can run in the morning. We are supposed to get rain all week (today was beautiful - LOL) so I am going to embrace it and look forward to a Rain Run tomorrow!

Date..........Miles.........Total
    01/01.......0.00..........0.00 - total rest/slug day. Did walk 1.5 miles with the pup
    01/02.......9.33..........9.33
    01/03.......0.00..........0.00

exercise.png

These are my upcoming races, let me know if you are going to be running too:
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half, Huntington Beach, CA
    02/20/16 - Special Edition Divas Half, Temecula, CA
    02/27/16 - SoCal Running and Beer Fest, Lake Elsinore, CA
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    4/1......1.7 miles.......4.8 total :)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Just a tiny 2.2km run today to add up to a total of just over 17km for the first four days.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I can't find who originally posted on the hydration/fueling question earlier but I did want to share my experiences as I have struggled with this and with the horrid GI distress. I have always taken something with me on longer runs greater than an hour (water and or Bloks or gummy bears and something for the pup). I followed the same practice for all my HMs and typically would fuel at the halfway point but I have been having some real stomach/intestinal issues that I could not figure out. My daughter is convinced it is all hydration related so before my HM last weekend I made sure I was very well hydrated. During the race I sipped water (only) at each hydration point and at mile 4 I had some gummy bears - only I didn't eat them, I let them dissolve slowly in my mouth. Same with the Blok at mile 6. I had NO stomach issues at all, not even a grumble. I also did not run out of steam, finished strong with a PR, placing higher than I thought I could in my AG. Having it work once doesn't mean it is the solution I know, but I was thrilled not to have any issue. I also don't really know if it was the hydration or not getting the gummies/bloks into my stomach to digest. The point is though that you have to keep trying things until you figure out what works for you.

That's interesting! Maybe your stomach -- while on the go -- just doesn't like to be bothered with the breaking down of whole foods? It would rather deal with small pieces/dissolved sugars? But do gels not do the trick either? (Though to be fair, GU brand usually gives me some stomach problems because it's so thick, so I can see how those might also give you GI distress midrun.) Hope the dissolving method is the solution and works out for the future!
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Got 3 more miles in yesterday :)

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I have a group question:

Looking at my Garmin data I'm running 5-10 minutes and walking 2-3 my entire run. Once in a while, I have runs that are better or worse. I can run a race non-stop, 10k done, besides the chafing I had on the HM, I feel like I could have done it (minus the water stations). I nailed the first 10 miles.

My husband thinks its mental. I'll be able to rule out cardiac issues in a few weeks (which really I doubt I have, but who knows).

Lets assume it's mental. What the heck do I do? Could it really be mental?

Today My training journal says:

"... No matter where you stack up when it comes to speed or distance, stake claim to your group and run with pride. Your running will soar by being a part of something bigger than yourself. " Lauren Fleshman.

Also, don't underestimate the power of adrenaline. In a race there is so much excitement going on that it gives you energy. A training run can sometimes be just that. A boring training run.

Also in a race you are running many times with others that are going your pace. Many of these folks are very steady runners. Me on the other hand, I can very easily vary my pace up and down if I am all by myself. The up and down is not as efficient as a very steady and even pace.

Good point. I think I'll use the treadmill to learn to pace myself. My Garmin can also be programmed. Thanks!
  • rickhuyck
    rickhuyck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Had to redo my entry to ticketfactory because I lost the html to update it. Whoops.
    Here is where I stand.
    exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the new distance! I cranked out many miles last year at similar paces. Keep at it and you will be running distances you never thought you would even attempt. Better yet, you will feel like you could probably just keep on going forever after a good while of training like that. Not that I tried going on forever, mind you. :lol:

..., but it felt good. My nose just tends to want to get a little sniffly in the cool air. I must remember kleenex in the future.

Snot rocket.. I resisted for years to do it. But last few days running sick, its become a must. No shame.

ha ha you need to practice those snot rockets, Skip and I do, she is now an expert on not getting any on her hands or face, the trick is to turn your head to the side. Left nostril turn to the left, right nostril turn head to the right, this way you are not running into your snot.

@ohhim definitely a sign from Mickey/Minnie

@shanaber hope the back feels better soon

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    wow. i have to catch up

1-Rest day
    2-Flare/rest day
    3-13.13mi The first six had me convinced i was going to turn around. the rest was nice.

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've never done this, before, but I need as much accountability as I can get right now. I get soooo lazy in the winter. Though I've been running for years, I'm training for my first ever half at the end of February. My goal is a modest 70 miles this month.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes! Gone for a few days and already 12 pages! I am in for 105 in January.

1/1 - 3.5 miles on treadmill
    1/2 - Nada :|
    1/3 - 3.75 miles on treadmill + weights
    1/4 - First day back to office / school...had to stay home to get kids moving and ready.

exercise.png
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    1/1....................REST...................0.00
    1/2.....................16.00.................16.00
    1/3.......................5.00.................21.00
    1/4....................REST.................21.00

exercise.png

exercise.png