The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The shirts have been organized? @Stoshew71, can you re-post the link? And thanks!
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    1/8: Rest day
    1/9: 12.2 miles with the Saturday crew

So great to be back with my weekend running group. Tons of people and lots of energy this morning. Everyone's thinking about races and training again and swapping thoughts and ideas. I really missed having social runs while I was home; I've become quite the social running butterfly ;) I ran 10 with the group on the canal trail and around town, then two more on my own to round it out and get home. Overcast, low breeze, chilly but not cold... perfect long run conditions, in my book!

However, even though it wasn't super cold, I came inside and my eyes watered so badly I couldn't see for about two minutes. It's always been an issue in the cold, and I don't know if that's just something everyone deals with during winter running, or if it can indeed be avoided. Anyone have tips on avoiding the blindingly watering eyes?

Happy running, all!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I've only done the mud run. Super fun and I didn't do any extra training for it. Just my normal running. It was 6k run with 20 obstacles. Some of them were harder to get over than others but mostly I just did it for fun, so I wasn't to concerned about my time.

@kristinegift I have that issue too (watering eyes), but it's while I am running. I have yet to find anything that stops it from happening, other than trying to run with the wind at my back in the winter. I suppose you could get eye wear that has those blocks on the sides so that the wind won't be able to get at your eyes.

@patrikc333 I was just in your boat, dealing with hip pain and trying to run. I basically had to stop running for over a month and I switched sneakers. But it's still slightly there and it scares me because of course I googled possible reasons for my hip pain and if it's bursitis it might never go away. http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/hips So now I have scaled back my mileage and just go when my hip feels good. I've also started doing more cross training to build up other muscles that could aid my hip. Hope that helps you.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35037747#Comment_35037747
    vandinem wrote: »
    The shirts have been organized? @Stoshew71, can you re-post the link? And thanks!

THE SHIRTS ARE FOR ANYONE THAT WANTS ONE
    (or two). We are here as a group to encourage you along your running/walking/recovery journey. Heck, buy one as a gift.. :wink: No profit, although all the work Stan put into this I think we should absorb the cost of his shirt.

I'll start looking into shipping costs. I'll probably go with the bubble wrap envelope, and may see what USPS has in the way of flat rate shipping.

To keep the ball rolling PM me your address once you place your order (coming soon).

Shipping payment is not included in the price of the shirt. We can arrange a PayPal or snail mail payment. I've sent stuff to Africa for like 6 USD. If your are out of the states, you can calculate your shipping costs, I'm in Oklahoma, US.

LOVE MY RUNNING GROUP!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Just pooping in real quick to log my run. Will catch up later this morning after this mad house is all awake, fed, settled down, etc.

1/1 - 2.25 miles
    1/3 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - 6.5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles (new official 5k time of 33:07, my math must have been wrong earlier this week on my estimated 5k time)

20.85 of 50 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Have you done the Garmin half before? I tried to talk my husband into doing it last year. He figured there wouldn't be anything else to do in Kansas. I have no races planned in April and was still considering it. Should be a flat fast course?
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Saturday morning ParkRun. Was absolutely chucking it down!

1/1 - 3.36
    2/1 - 3.08
    5/1 - 3.08
    8/1 - 3.25
    9/1 - 3.08

Total 15.85/35
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning: Remind me never to be behind you in a race
    Just pooping in real quick to log my run.

Jan 1: When the run started it was still the 1st..so I'm counting it here.
    6.59 cold night miles, slow, around 12:40/mile.
    Jan 2: REST DAY
    Jan 3: First “official” training day for the HM and first snowfall of the year (on a run day at least). 3.51 miles. Some fast intervals mixed in with slower paced runs. 12:10 average pace, fastest split was mile 2 (11:29).
    Jan 4: Wimped out :(
    Jan 5: Ice in my ‘stache at the end of the run…that’s new. 3.2 miles this morning
    Jan 6: Went an extra .5 before I took my first (brief) walk break. 5.05 miles avg. pace around 12:11
    Jan 7: REST DAY. Plan on some walking and weights.
    Jan 8: Wimped out :(
    Jan 9: Beautiful running weather <3 ..50 degrees this morning in Central Ohio! Easy 6.2 miles but every step SUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKED! Had a rough time with pacing and walked way more than I wanted to. (12:08 average pace, fastest split was 1st mile which is unusual my 2nd mile is almost always my fastest once my muscles have warmed up a bit). A little over 1/3 of the way to month’s goal. #betterrunnexttime #ohwellatleastIdidit

exercise.png
  • deepthi87d
    deepthi87d Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Jan 4- 3.2
    Jan 5-3.5
    Jan 6-3.5
    Jan 7-rest
    Jan 8-3.5

Completed 13.7 of 60 miles
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    No profit, although all the work Stan put into this I think we should absorb the cost of his shirt.

I'll start looking into shipping costs. I'll probably go with the bubble wrap envelope, and may see what USPS has in the way of flat rate shipping.
    I second the motion to buy Stan's shirt for him (or at least, another one for him). Not sure how we accomplish that, but it should be done.

I for one would be willing to do increased costs for UPS or other than USPS shipping - my experiences with them have been beyond horrific, and I have said I'd rather have things shipped by horse & buggy than USPS ever again.
  • 9voice9
    Options
    Last long run before the Museum of Aviation Half next Saturday. 11.8, and it was NOT pretty, but it got done. Not horrible (11 min/mile), but I want to aim at more like 10:45 or even 10:30 next week.
  • 9voice9
    Options
    New Yr 10K - 1:11:58.. Not a PB but not far off it either (PB 1:06:44)... AND *drum roll** I got my first medal!
    We like us some bling, right? Grats on the medal!
  • moremonica
    moremonica Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - Thanks for the support! The knee is a recent injury. I have a small tear in the miniscus which the surgeon doesn't want to operate on (and I am fine with that) as the larger problem is I am littered with arthritis in the knee as well. I have tried cortisone and will probably try the gel injection. Happy to take any recommendations on things that have worked for others.

@runner_girl83 - Thank you for the suggestion on rest days. May need 2 or 3 between runs which is fine. Well done on your New Year 10K!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Jan 01      6.5      6.5
    Jan 02      5.1     11.6
    Jan 03      5.6     17.2
    Jan 05      3.3T    20.5
    Jan 07      3.4T    23.9
    Jan 09      8.2     32.1

exercise.png

@Elise4270 - I'm also up for contributing to Stan's shirt! Thanks for putting this together.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ i think buying a new pair of shoes is a foregone conclusion by now :)
    @Becky_44 keeping within calorie goals for a year is very impressive. well done.
    @runner_girl83 that picture is so funny. i will need to get myself a garmin. haven’t played with those gadgets yet. on the horizon though!
    @JohnLang2013 good luck training for the marathon. sounds great.
    @runner_girl83 CONGRATS on your race and FIRST MEDAL. Excellent!
    @moremonica you’re doing awesome.

1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.
    1/9 6.11 —nice group run while snowing lightly!

32.05/70

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    No profit, although all the work Stan put into this I think we should absorb the cost of his shirt.

I second the motion to buy Stan's shirt for him (or at least, another one for him). Not sure how we accomplish that, but it should be done.

I for one would be willing to do increased costs for UPS or other than USPS shipping - my experiences with them have been beyond horrific, and I have said I'd rather have things shipped by horse & buggy than USPS ever again.

Works for me. It'll be the same drop off point. Maybe we can spread out the cost of Stan's shirt with the shipping expense (for those that wanna) and we/I can just PayPal him what we collect.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Went ahead and did my 15 mile run today. That makes 4 days in a row of running, since Saturday is usually my rest day. It was snowing, but the roads were only wet. Temp is supposed to drop all day today, down to about 19 tomorrow morning, so I was worried about ice if I waited until tomorrow.

Overall, it was a good run. Very consistent pace in the upper 10s (a couple miles in the low 11s). And, for the first time on a long run, I didn't walk or stop once! And it was a PR distance for me. Longest previous was 14 miles.

Think that puts my at 38.5 miles for the month. Will double check on Monday!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @runner_girl83 - Congrats on the 10k finish! I don't necessarily run for the medals, but they sure are a great touch to cap off and remember the race. Then again, maybe the medals have a bigger factor than I like to believe! :lol:

@Remus42 - Thanks for sharing your mud run experience. I'm looking at either a 5k or 8k in the spring (both are same day so can only pick one) and a longer one in the fall that I think is 12k if I recall correctly. My main worries are the obstacles I guess. I know I can run the distance. Just never did obstacles while running before.

@kristinegift - My eyes water on cold days while running, but not when I come back inside. When I come back inside the issue I sometimes have is my lungs adapting to the sudden warm temps. Sometimes they don't like that.

@Elise4270 - Yes, I ran the Garmin half last year as part of a 39.3 series. It's a great event in my opinion. As for being a flat course it depends what you are used to. If you are from a hilly area then yes, it is flat. But if you are from an area with rolling hills, that is what I would describe the course as, low rolling hills. Typically the worst incline around the areas this is going to run in (I don't know the official course yet and the course has moved to a new area this year) are about 100-200 feet of incline over half a mile but those are the hardest ones. The average up and down is about 50-100 feet per mile up and down with relatively flat stretches of about half a mile before the next hill. It is a RAINY event though. It rained last year, and the people I talked to said it rained the year before too (actually there was severe weather and hail that day). LAst year though it was just showers for the second half of the event. I have heard that it rains almost every year but I have no idea how accurate that is. It is dead center in the middle of our spring severe weather season though. I'm signed up for this year as well (again as part of the 39.3 series). If you go we should meet up. :smile: If your goal is a truly flat pancake race, I am told the Wichita Half Marathon (around the same time of year) is as flat as can be. Maybe even flatter than flat. I have heard some people with gripes about that one not being so great in terms of organization, but then again some other folks who travel to races all around here have said it is fine (but not great).

@GBrady43068 - LOL! :lol: That is quite the typo on my part! Not to worry though, there is usually nobody left to run behind me with my slow pace! That poor course sweep...

@ceciliaslater - Congrats on the distance PR!!

I am definitely in favor of the idea of pitching in on Stan's shirt. :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Actually, I just checked the Garmin event site (http://ozrun.org) and they have the courses up now. The start/finish is quite near my house at a new hotel they are putting up right now. I run the trails the full marathon split takes off on all the time. So I may just run the course as a training run and can let you know what to expect.