The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    7/1......2 miles.....8.8 total
    Only another 51.2 miles to go! I think I was a little bit over ambitious with my 60 mile target lol
  • caitlynchristensen
    caitlynchristensen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey my name is Caitlyn Christensen. I am 25 years old have about 50 pounds to lose. I just got accepted into the January 12 week challenge for Nadine Dumas What it Takes Challenge. Would love to have some more supporters to be accountable to and bounce ideas off of. If you have some spare time and want to visit and like my challenge page I've listed it and feel free to add me on facebook or twitter (@RTbreatheforyou) or fitness pal.
    www.facebook.com/wit2016CaitlynChristensen
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    z1o9lqfk9nwe.png
    A bit better this morning...
    That is running shorts weather! :tongue:

Uh, only if that's Celsius! Or you're @MorningGhost14 :o
    I wear pants for anything below freezing, and a long sleeve shirt once it gets below 40. I am tempted to try shorts in 25+ though. Maybe next time. But that's what I said last time too. :smiley: Remember SonicDeathMonkey? He wore shorts in all sorts of crazy cold weather and thought all of us pants-wearers were nuts.

Yeah, but he also stops for McDonald's breakfast right in the middle of a marathon. ;-)

Still my favorite thing read about a marathon ever!!! I thought he was taking a bathroom break, nope he got hungry. Gotta love him.

Hahaha I thought this was a joke! Wow! Don't know how anyone can stomach that in the middle of a mara!! :open_mouth:

True story you can see the line on his garmin map heading into the McDonald's and back out the other side.

@skippygirlsmom - So funny that you and I were just talking about this the other day!
    @MorningGhost14 - Thanks for the crepes recipe!! Copied it and will definitely try it!
    @afrench050612 - Congratulations!! One of our other runner friends was coaching a Girls on the Go group as well a few months back
    @Calli1616 - Assuming you are in California too. I didn't run in the rain today because of the thunder and lightening but tomorrow should be a great rain run day!
    @GBrady43068 and @michable - love the gangsta roos image!
    @Virkati - hope you are felling better and rested soon so you can get back out there and run!

Took today as a rest day as my body is super sore and tired from the training workout yesterday. Will try to fit in a run between the rain and meetings for work!

Also found out the So Cal Beer and Running Festival (my 3rd race for February) was canceled! Honestly I was really looking forward to a fun evening 10k followed by beer!
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    3/1 6.7 miles
    6/1 6.5 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    29/5 Edinburgh HM
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    January 2016
    02/1 – 13.02 – 8’28 pace
    04/1 – 05.06 – 8’40 pace – pushing pram
    06/1 – 05.01 – 7’24 pace – speed
    07/1 – 06.01 – 5’47 pace – PB 5k time: 28:46!! :smiley:
    TOT: 29.10 km

Wow! Absolutely stoked!!!

Tonight I ran 6 km.. Got home and checked the time.. Bummed that I ran it at 34:46 (forgot that I ran 6k and not my usual 5k :lol: ).. I DID run a little faster at times.. but I felt comfortable.. I'm not sure why, I guess I just wanted to push myself and see what I could do (planned rest day tomorrow!).. It was really hot and humid too.

I saw the 34:46 on my phone when I finished my run.. grovelled a little (as I said.. I forgot that was the time for 6k and not 5k!) I had a shower, moped around for a little more and finally decided to check my splits only to realize I hit 5k at 28:46!!!!

Sub-30 5k!!!! I need to pinch myself!! HOW did this happen??????

y12bbwl8e6z0.jpg

exercise.png

January Races
    9 Jan – New Year Virtual 10K
    6 Feb – Ninja Virtual 10K
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    January Goal—will try for 140 km, half marathon Feb 7 and I’m behind in my training

1/6—3.89 km or so…first run after being sick…still congested and a bit sick
    1/7—3.40 km—still feeling icky so keeping it short. Just ran around my complex
  • Lench0902
    Lench0902 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    January Goal. 30 miles.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Welcome @Lench0902!

I order a Merino Buff and received it yesterday. So now I'm one step closer to being like @MorningGhost14 @kristinegift, embracing the not so "cold" cold runs here. (Today should be in the 60's).

Anyone interested in ordering one here's a 10% off code BUFF10TY.
    Code expires 17th January
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats @runner_girl83 on another 5k PR!

I'll be setting out on my 4 mile tempo run in a couple hours and I'm hoping to bust up my 5k PR based on recent paces/intervals. Looks like it will be 38 degrees and raining. Amazingly enough, I think this is the first time I've run in the rain in the 30's. Hope my choice in clothing is correct. Should be interesting!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @runner_girl83 - That's so funny ... that you had those wild mood swings all because of times. Great job! We all can relate to that! I've been running and spaced out on how far I've gone (and the directions I've gone) and I'm thinking I'm never going to hit 3 miles. And then suddenly my app will say "4 miles" and I'm elated.

@patrikc333 - I think I am like @WhatMeRunning - I swear less while running and that lasts the whole day.

Jan 1 -41 mile bike ride
    Jan 2 - 34 mile bike ride
    Jan 3 - rest day
    Jan 4 - rest day
    Jan 5 - 5.25 miles
    Jan 6 - 3.3 miles
    Jan 7 - rest - sick :disappointed: - ran yesterday the first day of a sore throat/cold and it felt good. But today the throat is really bad, so I better rest. (This decision was made after much deliberation in my head and reading all about running with a cold/sore throat last night).

exercise.png
  • placidegirl
    placidegirl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    great challenge - joining a little late - I aim for 125km in January - 15 down do far
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    In keeping with me being baffled with scientific running and a dated love for 80s music... and reinforcing that I am so old I make old school look like Headstart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkmeP8s8W4

The funniest thing about that video for me was the ad that was showing on the page. It said "the number one reason men pull away from women... go to beirresistable.com". At first I read it as why men pull out from women and I was thinking ... WHAT?!?! Didn't check out that website.
    Beastie Boys was one band I never got into in the 80s ....my husband always liked them. I didn't watch much of the video after being shocked by the ad and hearing who it was. What I saw it just showed that storefront the whole time. Ok, now to get mind out of the gutter and go teach my high school students (95% boys) whose minds are there most of the day.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am)

After my tempo run yesterday mid-afternoon, this morning's easy 4 miler did not FEEL easy! My legs were just dead (to be fair, I was also using lots of energy on practicing my Arabic presentation for finals that I'm giving at 10). Hopefully my group run tonight treats me better, and even if it doesn't, it's a brewery-hosted run so that means free beer afterward to drown my sorrows! ;)

Even though this morning's run wasn't great, I do think the Wed & Thurs 2-a-days will be manageable if I ease myself into them (what I'm trying to do now at least). Last training cycle, I was doing 2x on Thursday with no problems at all, which is why I wanted to add a second 2-a-day rather than add a 6th day of training. I've had bad luck with 6x per week schedules that resulted in nagging, chronic injuries til I dropped back down to 5x.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)

Elise4270 wrote: »
    Welcome @Lench0902!

I order a Merino Buff and received it yesterday. So now I'm one step closer to being like @MorningGhost14 @kristinegift, embracing the not so "cold" cold runs here. (Today should be in the 60's).

Anyone interested in ordering one here's a 10% off code BUFF10TY.
    Code expires 17th January

Haha @Elise4270, you'll get the cold eventually! And now you'll be super geared up and ready to go when it comes :)
  • cheriesanta
    cheriesanta Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wqfg6KE/exercise.png

New here. Run and spin, trying to do a half in March--mileage relatively low now, so 100 may be a reach--but that is what challenges are for, no?
  • cheriesanta
    cheriesanta Posts: 9 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    1/1....................REST...................0.00
    1/2.....................16.00.................16.00
    1/3.......................5.00.................21.00
    1/4.....................REST................21.00
    1/5.......................7.00.................28.00
    1/6.......................5.00.................33.00
    1/7.......................7.00.................40.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1-Rest day
    2-Flare/rest day
    3-13.13mi The first six had me convinced i was going to turn around. the rest was nice.
    4-rest day
    5-pain day :(
    6-3.23 mi. it looked slow but i ran fartlek-esque, but still had to avoid ice flows.
    7-6.46 mi it was fun. I pushed hard. I'm glad my heart monitor works again.

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere

• smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Like you if I get up on someone's shoulder I start to unconsciously push the pace.
    @Elise4270 I sometime's split quotes between posters so it gets really muddled. Mental picture of you Running, Drinking Bourbon and swearing - then realized I had combined multiple posts/quotes.
    @W0nderGiirl No one is ever late to this party and welcome to the Shoe Destroyers club.
    @health_guard Is your profile Picture your Running Buddy? Looks fast and built for Cold Weather.
    @HonuNui "excruciatingly slow miles....but at least I passed this guy" - Race pace way to go.
    @runner_girl83 B)<3 Nice.
    @kristinegift She's back and in Top Training Shape again. Inspirational KG.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options

@snha Have you changed your elliptical? Sometimes getting on the "wrong" machine can make my tendons twingy. So do old shoes (like, more than 250 miles) and running on slanty roads. Of course, it's likely just the 10 miles. I just did my first 10-miler this week and it definitely shook me out!

Thanks much, @5beautifuldays. This is very interesting. So, here are a couple of things. 1. I had my shoes for the past 377 miles. so, that could be a reason, although I did not notice any disintegration, but who knows. 2. I dod notice recently, since the beginning of the snow season, that i run on the side of the street (not on sidewalks because of ice and snow) and did notice that the roads are slanted and thought to myself recently: could this be the reason! i think you're confirming my suspicion.

So, i will go get myself a pair of shoes and try to run on as-straight-a-path as possible!