The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.
    1/9 6.11 —nice group run while snowing lightly!
    1/10 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/11 4.31 — 6 degree weather @10:50
    1/12 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/13 5.08

41.44/70

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Jan 01      6.5      6.5
    Jan 02      5.1     11.6
    Jan 03      5.6     17.2
    Jan 05      3.3T    20.5
    Jan 07      3.4T    23.9
    Jan 09      8.2     32.1
    Jan 10      6.2T    38.3
    Jan 13      4.2T    42.5

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ok... I have been toying with this for a while and would be interested in some feedback. In the ultra community, there has been growing discussion/debate about smoking pot before and during ultra races. Pot's ability to reduce pain, prevent nausea and enhance relaxation hits on three things key to running extra long distances.

I am aware of quite a few ultra runners who smoke regularly during races, but there are some who argue that it is a performance enhancing drug and gives an unfair advantage over those not smoking and should not be used during races, but only to assist in long training runs.

I have run the 50k distance a couple of times and am doing another one in May and I don't see any reason to use anything for only 31 miles, but I am planning on either a 50 mile or 100k race in the fall and one of my training gurus thinks I should incorporate a "pot routine" in to the later stages of training (30+ mile training runs) and the race itself... primarily for nausea issues and secondly to help stay chill when running alone all night in the woods.

Having had to take a DNF at mile 38 in a 50 mile race because of nausea, I am giving it some thought, but not entirely sold on the idea yet. At least not for pre-race and during the race purposes.

I mean, there's got to be some runner specific strain, because normally pot makes me paranoid and gives me hella munchies. So you'd find me hiding in the bushes from other runners and raiding the aid/food tables. So IDK if I buy it for the ultrarunning types, but I honestly don't know anyone personally who has tried it. If you do, give us a report please! :)
  • kristinegift
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    1/8: Rest day
    1/9: 12.2 miles with the Saturday crew
    1/10: 5 miles
    1/11: 5.8 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew
    1/12: Rest day
    1/13: 4 miles treadmill (am), 7.1 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)

I am acquiring many "crews" this week! My running store (who I run with every Thursday) does a Wed evening run, but I've never gone before. But now I've got these double two-a-days, so I may be joining them more often! The Wed group is pretty small, but it's a solid, consistent bunch. Kept it nice and easy; did 2 by myself averaging 8:10 or so, and then 5 with the group averaging 9:25 (super dark, so we kept it very cautious!). Hopefully my legs won't be dead when I run AGAIN in 12 hours!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift LOL on the pot smokin' runners. You'd have to offer more dubage at the hydrating stations to get them to move from one to another and through the course. Mile 13 pizza man, 18 Twinkies! 22, Doritos and ice cream!

I could always tell when my youngest son was high. If I suspected, I'd just say "boobies" and he'd laugh himself silly. It was so cute...
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @Elise4270 That's such a good test! Pot giggles are so hard to stop. Your poor son ;)
    I've read about the pot-runners and I just cannot imagine being motivated to RUN after consuming pot in any form. From what I recall from high school, I basically would sit in one place, stare at the TV, and eat til I passed out, lol. Not exactly good for ultrarunning!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy
    1/5 - 11.09 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 - 5.95 group run
    1/7 - 8.04 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/8 - scheduled rest day
    1/9 - 16.48 warm up + Winter Warrior Half
    1/10 - 7.46 easy
    1/11 - 10.07 easy
    1/12 - 8.39 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/13 - 8.02 easy and snowy

January to date total - 109.13

Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes - Needed 8 miles, so I got out at 19° with 10 mph W wind and light lake effect snow falling. Large portions of the run were clear asphalt, but I really appreciated the Peregrines when I needed to run on snowy shoulders. Total time was 1:04:03 for an average pace of 8:01 per mile, toward the fast end of my easy range; if I'd realized that was the pace, I would have stopped a few feet earlier just to have a run of 8.01 miles at a pace of 8:01. Oh, well. I only see those opportunities in hindsight.

In light of the discussions here on cold weather running, I took a selfie. It's not the most impressive ice beard I've had, but it's appropriate to the running conditions this evening:

hs860xy0stme.jpg

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Foward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    3.4 miles today, my longest distance yet! 16.9 miles so far this month. My pace is really slow, usually around 12.10 minute miles. I'm new to running so don't really know much about it. Is now a good time to do shorter distances and try to increase my pace? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Congrats on the distance PR. To answer your question, no, you do not want to worry about trying to increase your pace. Right now you are trying to build an aerobic base and the best way to do this is to run more miles. Just keep running at a nice, easy pace and your speed will automatically get faster.

@kateparry84 - ^^^ this exactly. Keep your slow pace, build distance gradually and your pace will improve over time. You just have to be patient and it will happen. One day you will be saying 'I can't believe I just ran that fast' you'll double check your App and be amazed that you did and it wasn't an error or mistake!

• CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    1/2 6.5 miles
    1/3 3.5 miles
    1/7 4.0 miles
    1/10 4.0 miles
    1/13 5.0 miles
    23 miles done out of a goal of 55.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    10 km Run - 5 Km with the Wednesday Night Running Group and 5 km through the Bush Trails.
    A very mild 0 C ( 32 F ). Legs felt heavy tonight - definitely feeling the effect of my 18 km on Monday, 2 km swim yesterday, 1 km swim today and then my 10 km run tonight.

01/01 –0.0 Km – 140 km – 0.0 Km
    01/01 –6.0 Km – 134 km – 6.0 Km
    01/02 –7.0 Km – 127 km – 13.0 Km
    01/03 –5.0 Km – 122 km – 18.0 Km
    01/04 –10.0 Km – 112 km – 28.0 Km
    01/06 –7.0 Km – 105 km – 35.0 Km
    01/09 –7.0 Km – 98 km – 42.0 Km
    01/10 –5.0 Km – 93 km – 47.0 Km
    01/11 –18.0 Km – 75 km – 65.0 Km
    01/13 –10.0 Km – 65 km – 75.0 Km

exercise.png

So many posts - Hard to keep up Bourbon Run and Screwed Shoes? Looks like it would be fun but it's just to far away and with the Canadian Dollar in the Tank right now we get hit really hard on Exchange Rate.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @kristinegift Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon sale. I just ordered two Saucony shirts, 6 pairs of socks, a pair of shorts and a pair of leggings for $46. I should be ordering chemical standards for work, but, you know, priorities.

@lporter229 It's the least I could do to spread the joy :) Saucony keeps having ridiculous sales on Amazon lately. I don't know how they're even making money on this stuff. But they're my favorite brand, so I am not gonna complain!

ha ha I'm out on Amazon shopping too, thanks!
    It could be good or bad that I have been too busy at work to read these but now I am going to have to check these sales out too. I wonder if anything will be left or if you all have bought it all now :) How is the fit on the Saucony shirts? I have never had one.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1-2: 3 miles
    1-4: 3 miles
    1-6: 3 miles
    1-7: 3 miles - 25 minutes of stairs
    1-8: 4 miles
    1-10: 3 miles - 30 minutes of stairs
    1-12: 3.5 miles
    1-13: 3.5 miles

Goal: 27 of 30
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Kentucky: The Bourbon Chase - Distance: 200 miles (relay) - Month: October

Mississippi: Mississippi Blues Marathon - Distance: Marathon, marathon relay, half marathon, 10K - Month: January

Missouri: The MO’ Cowbell Marathon - Distance: Marathon, half marathon, 5K - Month: October

Tennessee: St. Jude Rock 'n' Roll Nashville Marathon and Half Marathon - Month: April
    ^^^^^ by the way, if you never heard of the Honky Tonks in Nashville, Oh my! This would be the most awesome after party.

Indiana: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon - Distance: Half marathon, 5K - Month: May

Kentucky: Kentucky Derby Marathon and Half Classic. - Month: May

Tennesee: Oak Barrel Half Marathon in Lynchburg, TN - Month: April
    ^^^^ BTW, HTC (my local official running organization) puts on a picnic every year since we bring a big contigient with us. This 2016 race also sold out within hours, it's that popular (and small). So, this is a bucket list for 2017.

Tennessee: Race 13.1 Memphis Half Marathon & 8K - Memphis, TN - Month: April

Tennessee: Go Commando Half Marathon, 10K & 5K - Clarksville, TN - Month: October

Georgia: AJC Peachtree Road race 10K - Month: July

Tennessee: Franklin Half Marathon - Franklin, TN (just outside of Nashville) - Month: June

If anyone ever thinks about coming to Alabama to race, our 2 biggest races up here in the north is the Cotton Row Run 10K and 5K (every Memorial Day weekend) & the Rocket City Marathon (every December).

I'm already planning on the Peachtree Road Race (10K) - would love to meet up with some MFP folks!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@Elise4270 I would rather not anyone pay for my shirt. I may buy a couple for myself and a third one for my wife. So that would just get confusing. If anyone wants to thank me, I have a great idea. Let's find a super fun race in Tennesee, Kentucky, or southern Indiana (kind of right in the heart of the midwest and a drive away for me) and we all meet, then you can buy me all the drinks your hearts desire after we get done with the race. :-)

So down with that! I may or may not be in running shape (surgeries looming ahead). But I'll be there!

Pick a few you favor and let us know.

Too may to list here on HalfMarathons.com

Don't see myself getting to Kentucky too easily :lol: So... Please accept my "extra" donation from the shirts (hopefully there is something lol) and put it towards your race entry @Stoshew71 :smile:
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Shins hurting (Must have jinxed myself yesterday when I said I had NO shin pain!) Grr.. Was toying with the idea of dropping back down to 3 days a week, rather than 4 of running but I would really hate to do this :lol: So I'll see how I feel on Sat morning (my next run) and if they are still tender, I'll wait until Sunday and see how I go then Worse case scenario, I may just do 3 days of running every 2nd week to give my legs an extra day of rest then, if needed.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 sorry to hear about your shin pain. It's a great idea to rest and cut back mileage. Good luck with your next run.

@MorningGhost14 I guess you have a good idea of how your body responds to pot to be considering the idea. I had no idea pot was used in the ultra running community, and was even considered a performance enhancer! Try it out in a training run and report back! I am fascinated.
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    3/1 6.7 miles
    6/1 6.5 miles
    9/1 3.1 miles
    10/1 8.7 miles - longest run so far!
    13/1 4.6 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    29/5 Edinburgh HM
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @zmcgrandles congrats on your long run!

@Ch1psNQueso you're gonna have to up your goal!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 @kristinegift I am laughing so hard about the aid stations!

@runner_girl83 - Probably best to rest now for a few days than push the shins even on a reduced 3 days/week schedule if they are really bugging you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-Rest day
    2-Flare/rest day
    3-13.13mi The first six had me convinced i was going to turn around. the rest was nice.
    4-rest day
    5-pain day :(
    6-3.23 mi. it looked slow but i ran fartlek-esque, but still had to avoid ice flows.
    7-6.46 mi it was fun. I pushed hard. I'm glad my heart monitor works again.
    8-rest day
    9-4.75 mi on treadmill.
    10-rest day
    11-too cold and icey. -7 is just too cold even for me
    12-slept in after walking the dogs. too icey now with a fresh coating of snow over it. hoping to get in an hour at the gym
    13-3.7mi on treadmill. got to my third fastest speed. hoping to keep improving. and yoga
    14-no run yet. maybe this afternoon. felt soooo tired

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere