Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    You run high, I wanna watch.

2016-01-14%2009.24.37_zpsff3zr4xs.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Unless we have enough people really interested by Tuesday, I think we should think about the Bourbon Run as a project for next year. It sounds really fun tho.

@9voice9 - I may just have to sign up for that PeachTree 10K.

I may think about the Nashville one too but just do the half. I'll see if my wife wants to go and hang out at the hony tonks afterwards. The more the merrier. Just imagine hopping from bar to bar which are all lined up down the streets one right after the other. Each one with a different live band from all different genres to include country (off course). Really great time. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Sounds good. A year away will let us plan, talk our spouses in to it, and train up a little better.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @kristinegift yes I had toe issues with speed work. Both big toes about a month apart. Laid off a few weeks and it heald up quickly. Hit the KT tape pretty hard too.

I also have hip flexor, IT band, and glute issues. But mines mechanics. If I have to sit for more than 20 minutes, I squeeze my glutes often. Coworkers make fun of me, but hey- I'm hurting.

@Elise4270 Maybe I ought to be squeezing my glutes more. My right one has gotten really lazy! And I'll have to tape my toes for the run tonight. I did that last winter (opposite foot's toe, though) and didn't even have to back off training as long as the toes were taped. I dorsiflex quite significantly... I make holes in the top of the toe box of all my shoes these days :blush:

I also do hip triangles at my work station. They are kinda fun. Could always sit with a thighmaster? JK!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Unless we have enough people really interested by Tuesday, I think we should think about the Bourbon Run as a project for next year. It sounds really fun tho.

I may think about the Nashville one too but just do the half. I'll see if my wife wants to go and hang out at the hony tonks afterwards. The more the merrier. Just imagine hopping from bar to bar which are all lined up down the streets one right after the other. Each one with a different live band from all different genres to include country (off course). Really great time. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Sounds good. A year away will let us plan, talk our spouses in to it, and train up a little better.

Yeah, I explained to my wife how it worked. She was like, so you will have people running through the night by themselves? That sounds dumb. What if you get hurt, how will people know? If you want to do that then I don't want to contribute to that stupidity.

LOL

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05
    1/9 15 miles - 73.05
    1/10 REST DAY
    1/11 9.5 miles - 82.55
    1/12 11.15 miles - 93.7
    1/13 6.2 miles - 99.9
    1/14 10 miles - 109.9

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok... I have been toying with this for a while and would be interested in some feedback. In the ultra community, there has been growing discussion/debate about smoking pot before and during ultra races. Pot's ability to reduce pain, prevent nausea and enhance relaxation hits on three things key to running extra long distances.

I am aware of quite a few ultra runners who smoke regularly during races, but there are some who argue that it is a performance enhancing drug and gives an unfair advantage over those not smoking and should not be used during races, but only to assist in long training runs.

I have run the 50k distance a couple of times and am doing another one in May and I don't see any reason to use anything for only 31 miles, but I am planning on either a 50 mile or 100k race in the fall and one of my training gurus thinks I should incorporate a "pot routine" in to the later stages of training (30+ mile training runs) and the race itself... primarily for nausea issues and secondly to help stay chill when running alone all night in the woods.

Having had to take a DNF at mile 38 in a 50 mile race because of nausea, I am giving it some thought, but not entirely sold on the idea yet. At least not for pre-race and during the race purposes.

Interesting I'll have to go out and read on this. If I recall my youth correctly, I don't remember pot enhancing my performance anything :smile: but as you said it does handle the 3 keys things for an Ultra runner. Of course the downside would you'd have to carry and extra pack full of potato chips and things like that.

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @kristinegift Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon sale. I just ordered two Saucony shirts, 6 pairs of socks, a pair of shorts and a pair of leggings for $46. I should be ordering chemical standards for work, but, you know, priorities.

@lporter229 It's the least I could do to spread the joy :) Saucony keeps having ridiculous sales on Amazon lately. I don't know how they're even making money on this stuff. But they're my favorite brand, so I am not gonna complain!

ha ha I'm out on Amazon shopping too, thanks!
    It could be good or bad that I have been too busy at work to read these but now I am going to have to check these sales out too. I wonder if anything will be left or if you all have bought it all now :) How is the fit on the Saucony shirts? I have never had one.

@shanaber Most of their stuff is relatively loose-fitting (hydralite tops, daybreak tops are so-so, and PE SS is not fitted, but not loose either). The most fitted tops I've had are the Velocity SS and LS. The size chart on their website is pretty spot on. For ref: I'm 5'3", 130ish, relatively small boobage, and I'm a small pretty much across the board.

Skip is the winner of my shopping, how can I not buy her tanks for $5 :smile: I'm always good with wearing the same thing for a week, because no one can smell me when I'm running alone. She evidently has built up a reputation with the runners at school of being Miss Running Fashion Plate ha ha!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    From screw shoes, now onto other things we can use our shoes for....

runners-high_h.jpg?itok=_-2sFvOM

http://www.outsideonline.com/1928651/can-pot-make-you-better-athlete
    I'm running like I’m being chased by a bear. Sweat is pouring off me, my heart is pounding, and my mouth tastes like pennies. Also, I’m stoned.

Exercising on drugs is a new experience for me. And except for some fun in my early twenties, I’ve never been a pot smoker. But about 15 minutes ago, I took a hit of marijuana and jumped on a treadmill to see how it affects my athletic performance.

I know what you’re thinking: What’s the point? The societal view of a stoner is of somebody couch-bound and snacking on chips. Even the vast majority of regular cannabis users will probably tell you that the effect of the drug hinders their ability to do anything athletic at a high level.

That’s what I always believed, too, and research seemed to back it up. A 1975 paper found that those who smoked pot experienced a 25 percent decrease in power output. Another study found that people who ingested THC lost motor skills and experienced decreased reaction time....

This one is in Chattenooga, TN (about an hour and half from me)
    136062-pot-house-trail-feature.jpg?1452172819
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I remember this article from runner's world
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house. It was a beautiful, blustery day!
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. While running from Indominus Rex.
    1/5 3 @ 11:14 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/6 Rest Day and feeling fairly sore from yesterday's PT (and maybe Monday's run?)
    1/7 4.75 @ 11:53 on the park trail.
    1/8 3.5 @ 10:07 (3 at 9:48 and .5 at 12:00) plus strength training
    1/9 3.5 @ 12:22 (3 at 11:26, plus .5 at a walk) loping around the neighborhood with St. Woolos the Barbarian, aka The Poopinest Dog in the East, aka Woogie the Worst Running Partner Ever. It's a good thing he's cute!
    (30/30 for the week)

1/10 Rest Day/Family Day
    1/11 10.75 at 11:46 around the park trails. My heart was light, but my legs felt every centimeter of the last two miles. "Gently rolling terrain" feels a lot like "stinking big hills" after 100 minutes or so...
    1/12 3.25 @ 11:27 on the treadmill. Plus strength training.
    1/13 Rest Day due to dental work...revising the weekly goal down a little, since I won't have quite as much time on my "regular" rest day to make up for this one.
    1/14 5.0 @ 12:47 around the lake trail with my dog, who may be toking behind my back--pokey puppy was slow, paranoid (that stroller--it tried to eat me! those loud lady joggers!--they tried to eat me! that nice old man with a cane!--he tried to beat me from 12 feet away!), and generally disinterested in actually *running*.
    (19/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 14: Run Your Heart Out 5K, Fairfax, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL
    March 6: Reston 10-miler, Reston, VA
    March 12: Lucky Leprechaun 5K, Reston, VA

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Options
    @Stoshew71 wow! I may really be able to get my kids into running.

The burbon run is a team ultra right?

We may put something like a Rock N Roll series run on the table to offer shorter distances?
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Only caveat on the Peachtree - with 60K runners, they've gone to a lottery a few years back, unless you join the Atlanta Track Club (which guarantees entry).

Nashville sounds interesting - I too would only be doing the half (and a heck of lot slower than you!) smiley:
  • jenmacy
    jenmacy Posts: 26 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @GBrady43068, I noticed on my last two sub-zero runs that my stomach is cold, red, and approaching numbness. I figured out that though I have enough layers on, all my tops are over my tights and the running motion allows cold air to get up under my shirt. My solution is to tuck in my base layer and, if necessary, my second layer. Other options would be to wear a tighter fitting top or, if it has it, pull in the waist pullcords at the base of the jacket (though none of my running jackets have this feature)
    @Stoshew71, A 2017 Bourbon Run sounds much more feasible. It would be difficult to get firm commitments in time for this years race.
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2016
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I remember this article from runner's world

Nice read. That explains why my daughter eats so much microwave popcorn. Very interesting that there's so many varieties of marketable pot and its products.

I think all this pot talk has given me the munchies. Lunch time!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    4.44 miles last night in balmy 9ºF temps with no wind. I had planned on 8 miles but started feeling a twinge in my calf muscle (again) around 3.5 and decided to head home. I have weeks to go before I start marathon training and I want this calf thing sorted out by then. Right now it's just a minor, nagging bit of discomfort but I'd like it to be gone. It's looking like my goal will not be reached this month.

Looking ahead at my spring races I've decided to take one off my schedule that i was really looking forward too. It's called the Get Lucky half marathon and it's put on by Team Ortho, the same group that put on the Monster Dash HM that I did on Halloween. Team Ortho is *supposed* to be doing these to benefit certain charities but a local TV station did an investigation and found out that out of the $1,000,000 they took in last year, only $71,000 made it to any charity. The year before it just $35,000. Not only that, they have had many other issues that show what a shady outfit they are. I could just figure that the registration fee is just the cost of the race and the rest doesn't affect me, but I can't in good conscience give them my money.

Upcoming Races (Registered & Tentative)

03/19/2016 - Hot Dash 10 Mile - Minneapolis, MN
    04/16/2016 - Trail Mix 25K - Lake Rebecca Park
    05/14/2016 - Lake Wobegon Marathon - Holdingford, MN
    06/25/2016 - Circle of Life Half Marathon - Lake City, MN
    07/04/2016 - Red Wing July 4th 10K - Red Wing, MN
    07/20/2016 - Torchlight 5K - Minneapolis

15xu3lm8g6ec.jpeg
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    4.44 miles last night in balmy 9ºF temps with no wind. I had planned on 8 miles but started feeling a twinge in my calf muscle (again) around 3.5 and decided to head home. I have weeks to go before I start marathon training and I want this calf thing sorted out by then. Right now it's just a minor, nagging bit of discomfort but I'd like it to be gone. It's looking like my goal will not be reached this month.

Looking ahead at my spring races I've decided to take one off my schedule that i was really looking forward too. It's called the Get Lucky half marathon and it's put on by Team Ortho, the same group that put on the Monster Dash HM that I did on Halloween. Team Ortho is *supposed* to be doing these to benefit certain charities but a local TV station did an investigation and found out that out of the $1,000,000 they took in last year, only $71,000 made it to any charity. The year before it just $35,000. Not only that, they have had many other issues that show what a shady outfit they are. I could just figure that the registration fee is just the cost of the race and the rest doesn't affect me, but I can't in good conscience give them my money.

Best to do fewer miles now than have to scrap 'em during marathon training, that's for sure! When I had problems with my Achilles/calf, I used KT tape and it helped a lot. Hope your calf issues clear up ASAP!

That's really disappointing about Team Ortho. I've done the Minneapolis marathon and a Monster Dash in Chicago in 2013, and they were great races. I hate hearing that "charity" race organizations don't actually give that much to charity. Less than 10% of total income seems quite low; but I wonder what the percentages are from other charity run organizations since these orgs still have overhead with buying race swag, employing organizers, paying for road closures, etc.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    3.1 miles today, 20 miles total. Thank you everyone for all the great advice, I'm going to do as I'm told and keep working on my milage and not worry about my pace. Thanks again everyone :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Those of you who have used KT tape, talk to me, what do you think, pros/cons? I think I'm going to try it for my ITB.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I've only used it on my heel, and I found it to be pretty useful! There are tutorials on the KT Tape site to make sure you do it properly. It helped both during the run and for healing in general. I TRIED to use it on my hamstring, but ended up making the 'string worse because I didn't put it on properly since I couldn't really see/reach the area. I think using it on your ITB would be helpful, as long as you apply it properly, which you're likely to be able to do since you can actually see your own knee, unlike a hamstring :) I was really skeptical at first, but I ended up being convinced it works.