Fat Free Milk or Soy Milk?

Options
13»

Replies

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was wondering which milk is the healthier option. I use a cup of fat free milk in my cereal every morning and a cup of light vanilla soy milk in my protein shake. Which is best? They also have Almond Milk and now Cashew Milk.

I'd say almond milk because it has less calories and sugar than cow and just about the same amount of calcium. I just bought cashew milk, but haven't tried it yet. Very high in calcium and b12. Soy is higher calorie, higher protein, but not much calcium. The cow milk has the most protein (and if you get whole milk it is the least processed), so it really depends on on what your nutrient goals are.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you have compromised thyroid function you may want to limit soy consumption.

Other than that though, I'd base your decision on personal preference assuming the remainder of your diet meets your nutrient needs.
  • jmg000
    jmg000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy like the plague. It's phytoestrogenic, meaning that it mimics the estrogen in your body.

This sounds scary, but what does it actually mean? What specific harm will it cause you?

none.
  • jmg000
    Options
    I avoid soy like the plague. It's phytoestrogenic, meaning that it mimics the estrogen in your body.

This sounds scary, but what does it actually mean? What specific harm will it cause you?

Soy messes with your hormones. GMO-soy is the cheapest filler in tons of food. No wonder everyone gets thyroid problems, PCOS and other hormonal issues. Young girls get their period earlier than before (8-10yo, while it's was around 12-16 when I was young). Too much estrogen is a cause of breast and ovarian cancer....
    Too much estrogen in men cause issues like low-testosterone, infertility, low sex drive....

I'm unaware of any Soy Milk brands that are NOT Organic / NON-GMO. Also the claim that there are Feminizing affects of Soy in men is a myth, there is research showing that Soy Isolates raised free testosterone in men.
  • jmg000
    Options
    To be honest, soy is still under studies and the results are still cloudy.

I don't see it as fear mongering, but rather as being cautious. I will not add more soy to my diet on purpose.

But here's the thing: your statements before were very definite and specific. If it is still under study and cloudy, maybe your statements should reflect that.

I understand that you want to avoid it, but I think your earlier statements went way beyond what the evidence shows. After all, I believe some have speculated that dairy may be behind earlier puberty for young women - - but until it is shown to be true, we shouldn't write as if it is.

I agree with your statement regarding Dairy being the cause of early puberty in woman, not Soy.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    jmg000 wrote: »

Soy messes with your hormones. GMO-soy is the cheapest filler in tons of food. No wonder everyone gets thyroid problems, PCOS and other hormonal issues. Young girls get their period earlier than before (8-10yo, while it's was around 12-16 when I was young). Too much estrogen is a cause of breast and ovarian cancer....
    Too much estrogen in men cause issues like low-testosterone, infertility, low sex drive....

I'm unaware of any Soy Milk brands that are NOT Organic / NON-GMO. Also the claim that there are Feminizing affects of Soy in men is a myth, there is research showing that Soy Isolates raised free testosterone in men.

This. I have seen so many studies that are counter to the claims that Phytoestrogen are harmful to anyone.

That said, drink what you enjoy. Full fat dairy is still considered good for you, so is soy. At this point it becomes a matter of the macro profile, what your calorie counts will allow, and what you prefer based on taste.