Calling all Exercise Haters

This is an Idea I got from another discussion I was In:

I hate exercise, my mantra why on earth would you run unless someone is chasing you?

How many ways can we find to burn calories without the dreaded "exercise routine".. there is a website https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc that calculates number of calories burned doing daily activites. some of the numbers will surprise you. Lets see if we can find enough of them that we don't have to do those boring workout routines

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I hate exercise, my mantra why on earth would you run unless someone is chasing you?

Excellent, more miles available for the rest of us...
  • Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 57 Member
    Really interesting link and theory... I think all of the January gym members who join for the month and only the month should invest so I can use gym equipment again without needing riot gear
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Running for losing weight is actually sort of stupid...that fat should not be there in your body anyway...the ideal would be working the land and hunting, and constructing so we don't get fat...but times have changed...so that's what we have nowadays...

Now...running for better shape and for taking care of your hear and blood pressure is quite differently.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    I use that calculator for my various forms of yoga, because MFP is severely lacking there. (I.e. Yin yoga does not burn nearly as many calories as Vinyasa or power yoga). Most of what they have on that list I wouldn't bother logging, though. I mean really, brushing your teeth? Who would log that? The other thing is I like knowing that sometimes I burn calories that don't show up in my log, because I'm not so tempted to eat them back. For example, I'll sit on a Pilates ball while knitting for a couple hours and not log it, or I'll dance while holding my 13lbs baby and just log it as general dance, though I'm sure it burns more calories.
  • PunkRockChris
    PunkRockChris Posts: 27 Member
    Workouts are meant to burn calories more efficiently so you burn more calories in less time.

However it is quite interesting to know that running a 5K in 30 minutes @ 6mph would be about the same calories burned as 75 minutes of sex :DB)
    92n1fhon2y8s.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

How many ways can we find to burn calories without the dreaded "exercise routine".. there is a website https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc that calculates number of calories burned doing daily activites. some of the numbers will surprise you. Lets see if we can find enough of them that we don't have to do those boring workout routines

i-run.jpg
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2016

Death chases me. Death chases us all.
    I don't see an entry for nose picking.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member

Death is going to catch us all no matter how fast or far we run. And the tax man. You know :wink:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I mean...yeah, if you're active doing daily tasks you'll burn more calories than if you're sedentary, but there's really not much that's going to give you the same cardiovascular benefits as exercise. You don't have to run, but you do need to get your heart rate up for more than a few moments a day, and fifteen minutes shovelling show or cleaning the bathtub or whatever isn't really enough for optimal health.

I want to live forever, so I don't really care how boring the gym is (and I do think it is, along with team sports, classes, running outdoors, etc etc.) I do it anyway like I do my taxes and my job and my laundry because sometimes adults have to do stuff they don't like for other benefits later, in this case better bone density, stronger muscles, heart health, and staying active and mobile in one's old age. I'd be really bummed if I retired and had all the time in the world to ski but wasn't fit enough to do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    People are usually active in someway physically every day, but how did they get fat? From over consumption. Anyone who understands physiology will tell you that you DON'T need exercise or even movement at all to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn. PERIOD.
    So if you hate exercise, DON'T DO IT. Just make sure you're in calorie deficit if you want weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    You are right that many things burn calories, and in fact most of a person's activity and calories burned is actually from non-exercise activities. I used to hate exercising, but now it feels like "me time", something I look forward to and hope my body doesn't fail me that day (I have a chronic issue so I can only exercise on good days)

As the Oatmeal puts it...

running_shoes.png

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People are usually active in someway physically every day, but how did they get fat? From over consumption. Anyone who understands physiology will tell you that you DON'T need exercise or even movement at all to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn. PERIOD.
    So if you hate exercise, DON'T DO IT. Just make sure you're in calorie deficit if you want weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Agreed. Exercise is just one way to create a deficit. It's not the only way to lose weight, simple calorie counting will also cause weight loss. On the other hand, exercise is healthy for you. Cardio builds up stamina and is good for heart health, strength training is good for building muscles and strength. That said, it isn't necessary, just beneficial.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited January 2016

Agreed with the running. Unless I'm late or being chased, I'll walk or drive, thanks.

To burn calories? Well, I'll play a sport I love such as tennis (I can play all day until my feet are bleeding from burst blisters :D ) or dodgeball (a laugh-a-minute sport).

There is one caveat - one of the best ways of increasing your metabolism is to build muscle mass. You will only get so far without something like weight training or calisthenics (and I mean strength based stuff not doing loads of burpees).
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    The trick is to find something active that you enjoy so it doesn't FEEL like exercise.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Workouts are meant to burn calories more efficiently so you burn more calories in less time.

However it is quite interesting to know that running a 5K in 30 minutes @ 6mph would be about the same calories burned as 75 minutes of sex :DB)
    92n1fhon2y8s.png

Here's the thing, though... 75 minutes of sex ≠ 75 minutes of intercourse. My bits would erupt into flame with 75 minutes of friction, I'm just sayin'. And my partner's hips would probably dislocate.
  • This is an Idea I got from another discussion I was In:

Death is going to catch us all no matter how fast or far we run. And the tax man. You know :wink:

My only wish is if the taxman could catch up with me after death does.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »

i-run.jpg

This!!1
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    I walk between 10-20 miles a day with a 40-60 lb equipment bag 6 days a week (10-15 hours a day) and never break a sweat.

The 1-2 miles I run on the treadmill make me sweat.

I never count my work routine mainly because of heart-rate differences.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I used to hate exercising, but I love eating, so since I wanted to lose weight but eat more than 1200 calories, I had to start exercising. The trick is finding something that you really enjoy that you'll be excited to do it. Now, I absolutely love exercising. Even when I fell off of eating within my calorie goal, I continued to exercise. I gained 18 pounds back, but that's what happens when you don't eat too many calories.
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Love all the responses guys. I know some of you LOVE the gym, running, walking, exercise in general, for for you all that is GREAT. we SHOULD all feel that way, but unfortunately some of us don't. I Like for my exercise to feel more like i am actually accomplishing something other than that daily burn. I do a lot of things (the hard way) to make myself burn more calories, and was hoping others might add to my list or maybe incorporate mine into their own programs if they want.

Sweep (don't) vacuum (then vacuum if still needed)

Mop often

skip the car wash (wash and especially hand wax the car yourself)

Don't use the bagger on the lawn mower (rake and pick up those leaves and grass)

Load and unload your own groceries instead of delegating it to the bag boy or the kids

Iron your own clothes instead of taking to the cleaners

park as far away from the store or office as possible

stairs vs elevator

forget multitasking, make separate trips to the car, or up the stairs or to the other side of the house

Don't hire a painter, do it yourself

Lift hand weights while watching tv

add ZIP to your sex life.. (more benefits than just burning calories)

take out the garbage instead of delegating it to the kids

walk to your colleagues desk instead of phoning

I am a stay at home wife with no kids, so I understand that for some of you who work long hours some of these things are just not possible..And I live in Florida, so some of the things I do would be out of the question in the northern states this time of year, (but summer is coming) but for me, by forgetting all MOM ever taught me about being efficient and doing many tasks in a manner that is a little harder and a little more time consuming I am burning tons of calories without even thinking about it.. so if anyone else has some items to add to the list feel free I LOVE this kind of exercise.