Detox Question

Options
Hello all,

I am thinking about detoxing my body (of all the meds, processed foods, and stress).

Any proven or tried diet that I should be following?

Looking for suggestions

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You have nothing in your body to detox from.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to be the outcome of this detox?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Eat nutrient dense foods, stay within your calorie range and workout the stress. BTW, it's not a detox because there really isn't anything to detox from the body, however it may help with just eating more whole foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's pseudo science!! Your liver does all the detoxing. It is an amazing organ!!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If your liver and kidneys were unable to appropriately detoxify your body, you'd be dead.

It's an unnecessary waste of money and most products are just laxatives that will quickly clean out your intestines and cause you dehydration.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    No, there is no proven diet that will 'detox' you. Your organs are dealing with any actual toxins in your body. So just be nice to them. :)
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The body does not need to be detoxed. If you want to take a mental break from food, try fasting by drinking low-calorie chicken broth and drinking a lot of liquids for a day. Add a few fresh vegetables to the broth if you like. It can be helpful to realize you aren't dependent on food.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Please explain to us exactly what toxins or chemicals you wish to detoxify from.

Ps- ( cleanses and detoxes are just ridiculous , look around here and you'll quickly see that )
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

^^This.

Your liver and kidneys act as a natural filtration system. No extra detoxing required.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    First, quit ingesting as many toxins as you can. Then take milk thistle and dandelion root.

This is not good advice,sorry.

OP, there are many here that have lost a lot of weight by simply eating at a deficit and being a bit more active than they used to be. It's definitely been proven on MFP time and time again. Othere is no need for a detox of any sort, as your body does it on its own through sweat and waste.
  • khalikhoopri
    khalikhoopri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I have had a couple of major surgeries and post surgical lingering infections etc. I have been taking a lot of meds lately (than I would like), and probably processed foods as well. I can see the negative effects of these on my body (including weight gain), this is what I am trying to detoxify from :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about stopping meds? Because that's kind of important.
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about stopping meds? Because that's kind of important.

Yes, but it is as needed...and I feel like I am trapped in a vicious cycle...hence the detox!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I have had a couple of major surgeries and post surgical lingering infections etc. I have been taking a lot of meds lately (than I would like), and probably processed foods as well. I can see the negative effects of these on my body (including weight gain), this is what I am trying to detoxify from :)

1. Don't stop any medication without consulting your doctor first.
    2. Processed foods don't make you fat. I've gained weight, lost weight, and maintained weight without any changes to how much of my diet was processed. You gain fat because you eat more calories than you burn. You lose fat because you eat fewer calories than you burn. Your body can't tell a processed calorie from an unprocessed one.
    3. Depending on how recent the surgery and the infection, that alone could easily cause weight gain, as inflammation means fluid retention.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Only ever stop meds on doctors advice. Otherwise, unless you have issues with your kidneys and liver, there's nothing to 'detox' from - they're doing it for you.

If it will make you feel better to have a period of time on a restricted diets of say, lean meat, veg, fruit - go for it. But there's nothing extra you need to take, and there are no 'toxins' which will be flushed, you might just get a good gastrointestinal clean out.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Detoxing is not necessary. If you have lingering infections stopping your meds would be bad and possibly cause your help infections to get much worse
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Thanks everyone...much appreciate your help! :smiley:
  • Moya6512
    Moya6512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The main part of juicing to detox is more than just weight loss, it literally resets your appetite, taste, cravings, mood, energy, mindset. It's amazing to give your body a rest from digesting meats and other toxic chemicals. There is no sensible reason people should be on here telling you not to drink veggies and fruit, it's absurd how brainwashed the food industry has us all.
This discussion has been closed.