Detox Question

Options

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Moya6512 wrote: »
    Yes. I'm on a journey to becoming vegan. Starting with juicing. So I come on here looking for conscious people who will help inspire. Instead I get people who say I'm misinformed because eating dead flesh and other species milk is the way to go. And that juicing is just a fad. Our countries health is doomed.

You aren't misinformed because you want to avoid meat and dairy (I'm vegan myself). You're misinformed because you're promoting pseudoscience like "toxins."

Saying we should avoid a food because we aren't "intended" to eat it is silly. There are many thing we aren't "intended" to do. I'm not intended to wear glasses or communicate with people via computers. I do them anyway. There are compelling reasons (I think) to avoid meat, dairy, and other animal products. But the argument of "intention" is dead in the water unless you plan on abandoning all of modern life.

Preach it!

58600218.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »
    I love it how drug and alcohol addiction is somehow... in some mysterious way... applicable to juicing and a vegan diet.

Exactly. Of all the people I've observed going through withdrawals, not one was sugar withdrawal. It's 'cause of the brains 'happy center' you know?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Here's why we are all on here, trying to compare tips and tricks and low carb recipes and cheats and the list goes on. A dieting cycle that seems to never end. Why because we aren't eating naturally as we were intended. The food industry doesn't care about our health, and the health industry doesn't care about our food. I've never heard a doctor suggest a juice fast ... but I have been offered pills that "curb my appetite" or even surgery! $$$ I do not think that detoxing and giving your body a break from years of damage is wrong. Then you can just eat healthy and exercise after you have reset your body. Oh and you the person saying only drug addicts need a detox, research the comparison of cocaine to sugar !!

Can I just mention something here. Juice has nearly all of its calories coming from sugar. Here you are comparing sugar to cocaine (a comparison I highly disagree with, but that is irrelevant to my point). If sugar is so bad, why would you use it to 'detox' your body?

So, is Jack Lalanne like a crack dealer?

That's where I go to get my smack on...
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    GRILLZGIRL wrote: »
    Uh detox products have LAXATIVES in them, that's why people poop........................just no

Not products, just earth grown food. You know, the stuff that didn't come out of a cows boob or a factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46iPFTCZ9LA
  • Moya6512
    Moya6512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So if I juice kale and celery I'm drinking sugar...but if I eat it in a fancy salad, my cells won't notice... please. You know what science is....our hormones control our appetite. Know why that 100 calorie bag of pretzels was tasty and fit into your mfp log nicely....but had you starving in the next hour....bc it wasn't nutrient dense. I'm basically advocating taking a break from bad eating habits....to introduce my body to a better way of eating. However, I don't want to starve and damage my body while I'm taking a break so I'll juice. I will still get the necessary nutrients for my body to function properly.
    Yes, processed food is a drug. I'm not even going to waste my time on that one.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the Paleo Date from the sitcom, "Casual." LOL
  • TheBeachgod
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So if I juice kale and celery I'm drinking sugar...but if I eat it in a fancy salad, my cells won't notice... please. You know what science is....our hormones control our appetite. Know why that 100 calorie bag of pretzels was tasty and fit into your mfp log nicely....but had you starving in the next hour....bc it wasn't nutrient dense. I'm basically advocating taking a break from bad eating habits....to introduce my body to a better way of eating. However, I don't want to starve and damage my body while I'm taking a break so I'll juice. I will still get the necessary nutrients for my body to function properly.
    good lord. zxvti2fj517n.gif

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I was starving the next hour because 100 calories isn't much of a snack for me.

Wait a second....is your name Vani?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Dat smiley, doe...
  • TheBeachgod
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was starving the next hour because 100 calories isn't much of a snack for me.

Wait a second....is your name Vani?

or Dr. Phil?
    or Dr. Oz?
    or Dr. Hyman?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

You do understand that fat and protein are essential nutrients, right?

As far as the "processed food is a drug", you're wise not to waste your time on that one. Your stance on that point would be soundly dismantled by science and common sense just as the detox woo was.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

stupid.gif

No one is suggesting that hotdogs are healthier than kale. But it surely isn't a drug. And it's surely far more delicious.

• tincanonastring
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »

stupid.gif

No one is suggesting that hotdogs are healthier than kale. But it surely isn't a drug. And it's surely far more delicious.

Especially wrapped up in cornmeal, fried, and dunked in spicy mustard...

drool.gif
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You never juice fruit?

Well, that clears that up. Most juicing "detox" plans do include fruit though, just so you know.

If I thought I was eating things that hurt myself or that I was addicted to, I wouldn't "take a break." I would stop eating them. I don't eat poison, I don't eat things that harm myself. That you talk in terms of "taking a break" makes me think that you agree that these items aren't really harmful.

I would never recommend that someone take a break from a poison or something that was destroying their life. I would recommend that they stop consuming it immediately. Why would you "take a break" from a truly addictive drug?
  • nutmegoreo
    edited January 2016
    Options

No, what I'm saying is that when you juice you lose the fibre. If you had the salad, depending on what you add, you could also be getting important proteins and essential fats. Both are important for optimal body functioning.

Sugar =/= cocaine. Not even close.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What the heck is juicing, if not "processing."

Removing as much fiber as possible, oh joy!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    2btc2iq6nfjt.jpg

2rkvkws8hft1.jpg

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I have it on good authority that unicorns DO in fact exist.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I wasn't nitpicking your grammar, but correcting your terminology. You can't make a good case against drinking milk by starting with "cow's boobs." Also, do you object to all cows' milk, or just that which comes from factory farms?

Oh OK. It's intended to nurture their young. Not ours. So we as humans produce milk to nurture our children only to then, extract another species milk and toss it in a bowl of cheerios when they're 2. Doesn't make since to me, and it's wrong on a lot of levels. Calcium is found in plenty of vegetables, and for good reason.
    I won't disagree with you on milk. In fact, dairy isn't needed at all in the human diet. But...............................................I'll be damned if I give up ice cream, yogurt and cheese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Then tell a drug addict, you can just be sober you know.
    You can tell anyone anything you want. ACTION is what's needed from the person if something is to happen. They gotta want to do it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Then tell a drug addict, you can just be sober you know.

From science

"This is a case of a legitimate medical term being turned into a marketing strategy. In the setting of real medicine, detoxification means treatments for dangerous levels of drugs, alcohol, or poisons, like heavy metals. Detoxification treatments are medical procedures that are not casually selected from a shelf or from a menu of alternative health treatments. They’re provided in hospitals when there are life-threatening issues."

More diseases are caused by our diet than anything else. So yes, it is life threatening. Yes we have functioning organs but when abused the lose efficiency. Such as drinking alcohol everyday, yes our liver will detoxify but at some point it becomes less efficient, thus with smoking and your lungs....and eating cap and your digestive system. Why are we so he'll bent on our bodies being able to clean up our messes, yet when you have a headache you grab the first advil you can find.
    Actually more diseases are caused by weight and genetics than anything else.
    Let me ask you: If low quality processed food is what's actually killing, then why is the inmate population not shrinking? Think about it: day in and day out, inmates eat the lowest quality food 3 times a day (along with processed "junk" food from commissary), yet it's not killing them off or reducing the population fast enough. We're talking YEARS and YEARS of being able to survive of bad food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This discussion has been closed.